Phil Spencer Ice Bucket Challenge to Gabe, Shuhei & Reggie

• 70 results
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Hey, snarky cynics and people missing the point? Since this ice bucket thing took off, it's raised about 13 million dollars. Motor neuron diseases like ALS are no joke and they're one of the reasons why we have things called "hospices" where people go to die slow, painful and undignified deaths.

That somehow makes it less stupid?

I hate AIDs, but red ribbons on a lapel are still stupid. I hate government censorship, but making my twitter icon black is still stupid. Good on these participants for not taking themselves too seriously and allowing this -- but it's still dumb.

I'd rather be a snarky cynic than "guffaw guffaw that dude what is rich done got ice poured on his noggin!"

Jazz_Bcaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@branthog: So what? You can't really be cynical about a donation to a charity. It's not exactly Kony 2012, though I don't much care for memetic activism either.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@branthog said:

@viciousbearmauling said:

@branthog said:

While this is all amusing to watch in the tech industry, it is awfully dumb. I don't entirely grasp the motivation behind it, though it seems very much "hey, look at me!". I mean, the idea is to do it or pay $100. And if you do it, then you call out other people who do it. Since everyone is doing it, they're not raising any money. Except, of course, they're all "donating the $100+ anyway". In which case, the ice-dunking is pointless.

This is only a small step above changing your twitter icon to fight the NSA or save Ukrain. Good on the people who have donated and chosen not to participate in the attention-whoring.

The "attention-whoring" is getting eyes on the cause. It is dumb, but it's a light hearted way to bring attention to the fund raising. Without these videos, no one would care, or possibly even know, about Lou Gehrig's Disease. If people have to do silly things to get a decent cause noticed, then that is what has to happen. A lot of money has been raised, and that wouldn't have been accomplished without this gimmick. You have a terribly cynical outlook on this.

Think of it like a dunk tank at a carnival to raise funds for a local school. More people would donate money with the chance of putting someone in water than just putting cash in a donation box.

What you call cynicism, I call experience. This very "viral meme" is itself a demonstration of new social-medial-self-promotion-cynicism as is the "guffaw guffaw aw shucks, they're just people like me and this is awfully fun to watch the dunking -- oh and charity!" response across the internet. How much has actually been raised for ALS? How much awareness has been spread? I mean, seriously, who doesn't know about ALS? And who cares about it after this that didn't before? What they care is that "durp durp Zuckerberg got dunked and called out Gates and Paige hurf hurf".

I guess it's amusing to see a few CEOs and pundits doused with ice (really? ice?), but this is really trivially dumb in much the same way twitter icon activism is.

I'm all for charity and I'm all for good causes, but the trappings around this are just dumb (and I bet most people who have watched one or more "dunkings" still couldn't tell you what the charity was for).

And...the logic is still flawed. Donate OR get dunked. Everyone wants to see these people get dunked; not donate.

Sorry, I just hate gross social media bullshit and self-serving bullshit (which is what this campaign thrives on - the desire of the person doing it to be seen). I don't care that it's "for a good cause". A lot of things are for good causes and still fucking dumb and still being done by participants for dumb reasons.

You want to know how much awareness has been spread? They've made 13.3 million and counting this year...you know how much they made at this point last year without the "ice bucket challenge"? 1.7 million. So...hmmm....let's see......maybe my math's wrong (I suck at math) but that is a 782% increase.

So, yeah, I'd say it helps, sorry you're so disgusted by something that helps so many people.

Datajack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Datajack

So much drought....so much ice water....California.....

No Caption Provided

wonderva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@branthog Did you also hate when Giantbomb staff played games for 24/7 for charity for Extra Life, or when Rorie/Danny/Alexis played games for Supply Drop? Not to shock you, but I bet some people may find playing games for such a long time dumb. And the fact that you questioned how much as actually been raised for ALS through these ice bucket challenges show that you don't know much about the cause.

In other news, anyone heard from Reggie or GabeN? They don't have twitter accounts, so we likely have to hear from Nintendo of America and Valve

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By spraynardtatum

Do you know what they should do? Advertise people besides celebrities doing the ice bucket challenge. I think this challenge is a great thing but I bet they could raise even more money if regular people felt more included. Put Libby from down the street all over the internet when she donates.

Better yet, they should make it so every time a football coach gets buckets of water dumped on them ALS charities get money. That's a lot of wasted cash for all that ice water being spilled.

I have all these ideas, man...

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@branthog: It's supposed to be stupid, it gets people watching and it gets the message out. Stop being so cynical.

DoubleSpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wonderva said:
@mikey87144 said:

Apparently this raised a lot of money compared to years past.

Yup, some may call it stupid, but the whole dumping ice water on one's head sure did spread awareness for this foundation. Really sad that the guy who came up with the idea of the ice bucket challenge died from a diving accident this past weekend

Am I the only one who thinks that looks exactly like Danny O'Dwyer?

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@branthog said:

@dudeglove said:

Hey, snarky cynics and people missing the point? Since this ice bucket thing took off, it's raised about 13 million dollars. Motor neuron diseases like ALS are no joke and they're one of the reasons why we have things called "hospices" where people go to die slow, painful and undignified deaths.

I hate AIDs, but red ribbons on a lapel are still stupid. I hate government censorship, but making my twitter icon black is still stupid. Good on these participants for not taking themselves too seriously and allowing this -- but it's still dumb.

I'd rather be a snarky cynic than "guffaw guffaw that dude what is rich done got ice poured on his noggin!"

I get your point and I agree with some of it but 13 mill compared to not even 2 last year pretty much renders it moot.

wonderva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By wonderva
ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People are REALLY complaining about the drought in regards to this??? Jesus...

valeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By valeo

@branthog said:

@dudeglove said:

Why can't you just appreciate that it's raised a bunch of money and awareness for a good cause ? (it's not stupid, it's actually a clever campaign - there are so many charities out there so they need to market it well. They have done so.)

Seriously, put plainly - you're far stupider than anyone that has poured ice over their head. I would like you to say this trash to someone who is actually suffering from ALS and is now seeing a possible light at the end of the tunnel; if not for them, at least for others who suffer it after them.

It's not #FreeTibet. It's not #Kony2012. This is legitimately helping. If you can come up with a better marketing idea to spread awareness of ALS, i'd like to hear it.

wonderva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By wonderva
BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@dudeglove: Haha, man, the Ryckert Conseco thing continues to be hilarious.

Anything ever come of the Reggie response about the ice bucket challenge?

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Love that Canseco tweet. :D

Anyone else see my beloved G-men skipper, Bruce Bochy take the challenge after a game the other day? Great idea to raise awareness and get people motivated imo.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I said it before and I will say it again, I really like Phil. He is a cool guy. I also dig Brohei Broshida.

ominousbedroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By ominousbedroom

I don't get it. People can think the ice-dumping is stupid but still donate. Yes, the ice-dumping is a brilliant example of how memes/fads can be successful (it marketed the hell out of ALS charities) but so what? If it weren't for ice, then maybe some other marketing campaign would have come along. Who knows? ALS researchers probably don't care and are just happy to get funding. And being "informed" takes more than just the act of giving money, even though that itself is quite a commitment. Either way, people are donating to a good cause and that's always cool but either side getting nasty over what they think of ice-dumping is a huge waste of time.

Edit: As far as Brohei Broshida goes tho, no argument. He's amazing.

wonderva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reggie finally did it!

Loading Video...

Maybe he wanted to time it with the announcement of the new 3DS model?