• 98 results
#51 Posted by Rebel_Scum (928 posts) -

"This is our concern dude."

- PSH

RIP

#52 Edited by TrafalgarLaw (1715 posts) -

That is what happens when you shoot up.

Maybe he didn't and he died from an abdominal aorta aneurysm rupture, those people often rush to a bathroom before they die.

#53 Posted by Nev (598 posts) -

Really terrible. He was a fantastic actor. R.I.P.

Fuck drugs.

#54 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6497 posts) -

@agnosticjesus said:

@amyggen: He relapsed in 2012 so yeah, he decided to start using again after being clean for a decent period of time. Does everyone here expressing sadness and condolences do the same every time they read about an OD in the paper? Or is it just that he was a celebrity and non famous people that abuse are simply junkie garbage? I've witnessed first hand the destruction caused by heroin addiction. It's absolutely devastating for the users loved ones, especially when said user doesn't have the strength to get clean and meets an untimely end.

I don't write everyone that dies from abusing any substance off as junkie garbage. Like everything else it's gotta be looked at on a case by case basis. I have a misplaced sense of empathy for addicts of anything since I come from a long line of addicts and alcoholics. I've met a lot of junkies and most of them are shitty people. But there's been some that actually hold a day job and come as close to functional as you can get with a drug like Heroin. A lot of my empathy comes from myself struggling over the years. I never got into the opiate world but I know what it's like to be physically dependent on a substance and the general addict frame of mind. When I see stories like this, celebrities or not, I know I'm only a few bad decisions from being in the same spot. But I think that from an outsider's perspective it's easy to think they're all just low-lives with no self control.

I don't wanna derail the thread though. This is a horrible loss. It's depressing to think that a man as respected and successful as him still craved that need to escape from reality every day. Addiction really seems to favor artistic types.

#55 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7097 posts) -

Really sad. He was incredibly talented.

@agnosticjesus Dude, can you please refrain from derailing the thread?

#56 Edited by gamerpigeon (440 posts) -

A 46 year old man, who was fortunate enough to do what he loves for a living and be successful while doing it and have a young family overdoses on drugs because he is a heroine addict.

No fucking sympathy at all, He may have been a talented actor but he was a misguided selfish human being. The only sympathy I have is for his poor kids

#57 Posted by Jack_Lafayette (3848 posts) -
@doskias said:

Man I know this is selfish of me but it would be really rad if the humans I enjoy would stop dying all the time.

#58 Edited by Video_Game_King (36566 posts) -

@flacracker said:

Maybe he didn't and he died from an abdominal aorta aneurysm rupture, those people often rush to a bathroom before they die.

I can't tell if you're joking or trying to enlighten us.

#59 Posted by Trilogy (2732 posts) -

I hate to see that much talent go out like that. Dude was seriously an incredible actor. It's a shame how many mega talented actors, musicians, comedians, etc we lose at an early age to drugs. I wish it wasn't like that...

#60 Posted by Cheesebob (1285 posts) -

Shut up! shut shut shut shut SHUT UP!! - Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Punch-Drunk Love (2002)

#61 Edited by Nodima (1544 posts) -

I'm sorry for his family's loss. It's always unfair that these threads devolve into speculation and judgement on most forums, but I suppose that's how some people grieve. PSH did heroin at a very young age growing up in New York during the '80s and then didn't for a very long time, so I think it's safe to say he had reached a complicated point in his life mentally. Who knows why; days are long and the mind is capable of wandering in many different directions. It's safe to say he did heroin and enjoyed it, although he recognized he couldn't survive society with it. No one but his friends and family know what caused him to go back into addiction but I will say I think it's pretty foolish to call it a selfish decision.

R.I.P. PSH. You made even the dumbest of movies watchable over and over.

#62 Edited by Kevin_Cogneto (1363 posts) -

@everyones_a_critic said:

@agnosticjesus said:

@amyggen: He relapsed in 2012 so yeah, he decided to start using again after being clean for a decent period of time. Does everyone here expressing sadness and condolences do the same every time they read about an OD in the paper? Or is it just that he was a celebrity and non famous people that abuse are simply junkie garbage? I've witnessed first hand the destruction caused by heroin addiction. It's absolutely devastating for the users loved ones, especially when said user doesn't have the strength to get clean and meets an untimely end.

I don't write everyone that dies from abusing any substance off as junkie garbage. Like everything else it's gotta be looked at on a case by case basis. I have a misplaced sense of empathy for addicts of anything since I come from a long line of addicts and alcoholics. I've met a lot of junkies and most of them are shitty people. But there's been some that actually hold a day job and come as close to functional as you can get with a drug like Heroin. A lot of my empathy comes from myself struggling over the years. I never got into the opiate world but I know what it's like to be physically dependent on a substance and the general addict frame of mind. When I see stories like this, celebrities or not, I know I'm only a few bad decisions from being in the same spot. But I think that from an outsider's perspective it's easy to think they're all just low-lives with no self control.

Totally. The level of sanctimony from some people in this thread is nauseating to the highest degree.

Look, if you've managed to get through life avoiding addictive substances, that's wonderful, good for you. But that doesn't give you any right to judge anyone else. Those of us who actually have struggled with addiction know how difficult it is, and it's made more difficult thanks to people who are willing to dismiss addicts as lowlifes at the slightest drop of a hat.

Most, if not all, addiction problems begin as self-esteem or personality disorders, and snowball from there. Not only is is patently incorrect to assume that anyone chooses to become an addict, it's downright counterproductive, since the very idea that their addiction is "their own fault" and therefore beneath our contempt, only serves to reinforce their addiction. If you had a family member with a heroin addiction, and you treated him like this:

@gamerpigeon said:

No fucking sympathy at all, He may have been a talented actor but he was a misguided selfish human being.

...you would be a fucking monster. The fact that this is the internet, and Hoffman a celebrity, makes little difference in my eyes. So again everyone, more sympathy, less sanctimony. Seriously.

#63 Posted by Ravelle (1758 posts) -

It seems actors won't learn from other actors dying from an overdose of drugs, actors shoudn't be left alone for too long in their hotel room either. " Found dead in a hotel room" is a headline you see way too much lately. :(

A shame, really. I wonder what they're going to do now with the Hunger Games movies.

#64 Edited by Kidavenger (3919 posts) -

I would have guessed he was a lot older than 46, he was in some of my favorite movies, Boogie Nights, Almost Famous, Punch Drunk Love.

#65 Posted by TruthTellah (9651 posts) -

A real shame. I can understand those angry at the apparent reason for his death, as it likely indicates an unfortunate failure of himself and those around him. The film and celebrity industries remain ones which often enable and even profit from drug abuse more than they work to prevent or help those suffering from it, and sadly, it appears his rather public efforts to rehabilitate failed.

Having said that, I share with so many in grieving for the man that has been lost. A talented actor has died far too soon, leaving behind a wife and three young children. A friend of mine in the film industry knew him, and he is understandably broken up about this shocking news. Beyond those who truly knew him, Hoffman's work entertained and impacted so many of us, and it's natural for us to feel the loss in his unexpected death.

My heart goes out to his family and friends. I hope that he has found some peace, and may his loved ones have much needed comfort as they face the great loss of a man so dear to them.

#66 Edited by AgnosticJesus (547 posts) -

@mariachimacabre: how did I derail the thread? I simply stated that the real tragedy was that 3 young children were now left without a father because he succumbed to his vices. He choose to do heroin in the first place, he choose to relapse after 23 years of sobriety. It is a sad situation all around as he was very talented artist and I'm sure a wonderful person. It's a tragedy that didn't need to happen. Having lost a close relative I loved dearly to a heroin OD it's hard to see people react to this as a tragedy when my cousin was just another junkie pos who OD'ed. The pain of addiction runs deeper than just the addicted. Loved ones are left to deal with the pain and second guessing of what they could have done differently for the rest of their lives.

#67 Posted by TrafalgarLaw (1715 posts) -

@trafalgarlaw said:

@flacracker said:

Joking? I never joke about medical conditions. All I'm saying is that of the people found dead in a bathroom, some of them have a rupture. You see, due to the rupture you bleed out in your abdominal cavity. The blood exerts pressure. That's a real strange sensation no one can give meaning to. Most people just conclude they have to take a dump and rush to a bathroom, only to die from massive internal bleeding.

#68 Posted by Video_Game_King (36566 posts) -

@trafalgarlaw:

To be fair, I didn't have any of that knowledge beforehand, so it was kinda difficult to tell if you were describing an actual medical event.

#69 Edited by TrafalgarLaw (1715 posts) -

@video_game_king said:

@trafalgarlaw:

To be fair, I didn't have any of that knowledge beforehand, so it was kinda difficult to tell if you were describing an actual medical event.

Well it probably is an OD, a lot of people OD after coming out of rehab/abstinence, because the body is not used to the high doses anymore. A lot of addicts just use the last known dose and instantly OD.

#70 Posted by TruthTellah (9651 posts) -

@video_game_king said:

@trafalgarlaw said:

@flacracker said:

Joking? I never joke about medical conditions. All I'm saying is that of the people found dead in a bathroom, some of them have a rupture. You see, due to the rupture you bleed out in your abdominal cavity. The blood exerts pressure. That's a real strange sensation no one can give meaning to. Most people just conclude they have to take a dump and rush to a bathroom, only to die from massive internal bleeding.

Sadly, the New York Police Department has stated he was found in the restroom with a needle in his arm, along with something containing what is believed to be heroin(while that will likely have to be tested). So, at least from the reports of the local police department and the New York Times, that certainly seems like what it is, and it fits with his public efforts last year to beat his addiction.

It's a rather unfortunate turn of events to be sure.

#71 Edited by gamerpigeon (440 posts) -
@gamerpigeon said:

No fucking sympathy at all, He may have been a talented actor but he was a misguided selfish human being.

...you would be a fucking monster. The fact that this is the internet, and Hoffman a celebrity, makes little difference in my eyes. So again everyone, more sympathy, less sanctimony. Seriously.

I'm the monster!? Sorry but who died this afternoon shooting up and leaving a wife and three young children? He did that of his own free will and why? He wasn't a desperate person who was living on the streets trying to get high in order to forget about their difficult life. He was a very successful human being who through a problem that he had enough time and money to sort out or try to sort, threw away his future and robbed his kids of a father.

It's sad when someone dies, but what people tend to forget is that it can often be sad because of how it affects those who are left behind rather than the person in question themselves. It's tragic that he was doing drugs to this extent. It's a poor reflection of character on his part and the only sympathy I can have for him if any is that he was a complete an utter fool.

#72 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2269 posts) -

@ravelle: He apparently only had a week of filming left, with the important stuff already completed.

#73 Posted by Max_Cherry (1216 posts) -

Phillip Seymour Hoffman dead at just 46. Such a young man with the best of his life ahead of him falls victim to the dragon. Tragedy.

#75 Edited by Milkman (18002 posts) -

@gamerpigeon: I'm going to go ahead and assume you have never known someone with an addiction.

#76 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7097 posts) -

@milkman said:

@gamerpigeon: I'm going to go ahead and assume you have never known someone with an addiction.

Are you implying that, for some people, addictions are harder to break and easier to fall back into than for other people?

#77 Edited by Quarters (2132 posts) -

Really tragic.

#78 Edited by laserbolts (5470 posts) -

@mariachimacabre said:

@milkman said:

Are you implying that, for some people, addictions are harder to break and easier to fall back into than for other people?

Do you disagree with this logic? RIP dude.

#79 Edited by ZolRoyce (1151 posts) -

@doskias said:

Man I know this is selfish of me but it would be really rad if the humans I enjoy would stop dying all the time.

Throw me in the selfish boat too, any humans I enjoy at all really. Famous ones I don't know, internet celebrities, family and friends, if everybody could just chill on the whole dieing thing for like, until I say so, that'd be great, thanks.

Seriously though this sucks big, he was a pretty damn good actor and he never came off as a dick, so, bluh.

#80 Edited by TrulyAlive (1104 posts) -

I don't especially care why he died, or if people think 'he had it coming' because of his life choices. My feelings on this are threefold:

1) On an admittedly selfish level, I'm upset because as an avid fan of Hoffman as a performer it's a shame that he passed at such a young age. He could potentially have shared a lot more of his gift with the world.

2) My deepest and most sincere condolences to his family and friends, not to mention anybody who is affected by his passing. This includes fans. Something that Ryan's passing showed me earlier this year is that you don't need to know somebody in person to feel a need to grieve on some level when they pass.

3) My sympathy to the late Hoffman himself. Maybe he did 'do it to himself'. Maybe he isn't any better than those 'junkie scum' or whatever people have been calling addicts in this thread. But frankly, I've never heard about anyone, celebrity or no, OD'ing and thought "Well, at least there's one less of those." When somebody takes their own life, I never think "Well, fuck him, he made the choice."
Every life lost is a tragedy. The conditions of that life and the things that lead to somebody passing in an instance like this are almost entirely unknowable to everybody posting here and even if a person makes a *choice* to do drugs (choice being an element of free will that addiction damn near eliminates for a user), we don't know why they made that choice.

To all who are saddened, or worse, by this turn of events, my condolences.

#81 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7097 posts) -

@mariachimacabre said:

@milkman said:

Do you disagree with this logic? RIP dude.

No. I was using sarcasm to convey that I agree with Milkman. The statement "for some people, addictions are harder to break and easier to fall back into than for other people" is obviously true.

#82 Edited by Fredchuckdave (7428 posts) -

Great actor, didn't realize he was that young. He did have a "complete" career though so it's not a horrifying tragedy but still sad nonetheless. Upstaging the Superbowl, pah! Capote was great.

#83 Posted by EVO (4029 posts) -

Fuck, dude was one of the best actors. Had no idea he was a junkie.

#84 Posted by TheHT (12565 posts) -

Unbelievable. He was one of the greats.

#85 Edited by Fredchuckdave (7428 posts) -

@evo: He was an actor.

#86 Edited by TrashMustache (561 posts) -

i have always believed he was the best actor of his generation and surely among the greatest of all time. he could do literally anything, every role he ever did, small or big, everything, it was his incredible drive that made it seem as if he could pull off any role and he strived for them too. I am sure he could play a tomato and make it fascinating. i am pissed off and sad about this and at him for dying and dying in such a cliché scenario. here's one of films finest who had nothing left to prove but would have undoubtedly continued to amaze us. Phillip Seymour Hoffman had the unique ability of giving extremely versatile performances, you knew you were in for an amazing performance, but u never knew in what way, because he didn't rehash any of his facial or vocal expressions. and yet it was always recognizable. always a treat. it was always philip seymour hoffman. only an extremely small amount of actors can pull that off. He drew you in to the bone. Versatile, Surprising, (shark-diving), Powerful, resonant, threatening, immensely funny, u name it. A cameleon, a master of the craft and not a trace of arrogance on top of all of it. goddamn it.

May he rest in peace. Thank you for all your incredible and timeless performances. He belongs up there with the most riveting, exhilerating, breathtaking artists of all time. And even this is selling him short.

#87 Edited by OneKillWonder_ (2056 posts) -

The guy was a tremendous actor. It's really a bummer to see him go, especially like he did.

This won't stop me from calling him Phillip Semen Hoffmour, though.

#88 Posted by TheHT (12565 posts) -
Loading Video...

#89 Edited by jerseyscum (1080 posts) -

WHY DID YOU DO THAT SCOTTY!

#90 Posted by probablytuna (4231 posts) -

This really sucks.

#91 Posted by TheMathlete (341 posts) -

What a goddamn shame. I guess this is the time to finally watch the Master. RIP

#92 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7802 posts) -

This is terrible, he was such a fantastic actor.

Thoughts go out to his friends and family, may he R.I.P.

#93 Posted by Gatehouse (851 posts) -

Heard this yesterday, really bummed me out as he made everything he was in a whole lot better. Honestly never knew he had these demons, real shame that they got the best of him.

#94 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5150 posts) -

Dude, what?

RIP

#95 Edited by ScreamingGhost (232 posts) -

It's sad that he couldn't shake it, my condolences to his loved ones. He was a fantastic actor that had many roles left undone. It's a shame we won't see more from him.

#96 Posted by Fredchuckdave (7428 posts) -

50 bags of heroin, that is just plain impressive. Not only a great actor but a great collector as well, my admiration just keeps growing. Tim Allen should be envious.

#97 Edited by ShadowSkill11 (1879 posts) -

@yummylee: who cares if he died? He was just another heroin addict. The same as any other junkie who died in a condemned apartment with a needle sticking out of their arms.

#98 Edited by Yummylee (23489 posts) -

@shadowskill11: lol pathetic. You bumped a 3+day old thread to post something like that? Hard man you ain't ya.

#99 Posted by TruthTellah (9651 posts) -

@shadowskill11: That's pretty low, mister. If I had a rubber hose, I would...