Pick your poison: Anime or Wrestling

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By Aegon

Poll Pick your poison: Anime or Wrestling (654 votes)

Anime 69%
Wrestling 32%

If anime is for jerks, then who is wrestling for? (You don't want to hear my answer).

• 
musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I really think a lot of people in here severely discount wrestling's ability to tell good stories when they get it right. The thing that makes wrestling better is these are real people doing these things you can meet them shake their hand have a conversation with them and because they are real human beings this allows you to be way more emotionally attached to the guys.

Seeing Jake the Snake Roberts accept his hall of fame induction Saturday night was one of the most soul twisting things ever.

Ill put it this way. When Ryan died he affected a TON of people right? Most of them never met him but that doesn't matter you still felt affection for him for how he entertained you over the years. The same is true for wrestling. You really start to get attached to some of these guys in a way you never would to a character that is just a figment of someone's imagination.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#152  Edited By DrDarkStryfe

Thread should be retitled "Strawmen and Stereotypes."

I vote for the thing that gets dedicated premium content on the site.

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@splodge said:

@beachthunder said:

Most anime seems laughably terrible, but there is a lot more artistry that goes into creating anime - even if smooth animation and facial anatomy apparently elude anime creators...

There is an AWFUL lot of shit anime series - it's wall to wall shite sometimes. However, when you find the good stuff... its pretty darn good. I am a sci-fi / fantasy fan when it comes to books, and anime is the closest you can get to those kinds of stories on a screen. Also, the sheer amount of heart that goes into some shows (Hajime no Ippo is a good example) is truly impressive. As with any medium, there is a lot of crap but also a lot of gold.

Sounds like movies, tv shows, books and music to me.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

They both suck, but since there's more anime in the world than wrestling, I pick wrestling. At least I wouldn't be wasting quite as much of my time.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#155  Edited By s-a-n-JR

I can't understand the logic behind criticising a medium based on some shitty things in said medium. It's like saying all books are shit because 50 Shades of Grey is trash. An anime is a cartoon from Japan. That's it. Nothing more than a sequential series of drawings. If Brad penned a screenplay for a Giant Bomb movie and commissioned a Japanese animation studio to produce it using this art style, it would still be an anime believe it or not.

I've found that there's more bad than good when it comes to anime, but I blame the people behind the shows, like I blame Michael Bay for the travesty that is Transformers 2. And going under the WILD assumption that not all Japanese people are the same, it only makes statistical sense for there to be something that I'd enjoy. Good and bad are subjective obviously, but the point still stands; If you're willing to look hard enough you will most certainly find something that appeals to you.

noizy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By noizy

@turboman: I had no idea what this gif was about, then heard Alex talk about the Lesnar vs. Undertaker match and knew right away these two were related. LOL. Those reactions are pretty awesome.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I really think a lot of people in here severely discount wrestling's ability to tell good stories when they get it right. The thing that makes wrestling better is these are real people doing these things you can meet them shake their hand have a conversation with them and because they are real human beings this allows you to be way more emotionally attached to the guys.

Seeing Jake the Snake Roberts accept his hall of fame induction Saturday night was one of the most soul twisting things ever.

Ill put it this way. When Ryan died he affected a TON of people right? Most of them never met him but that doesn't matter you still felt affection for him for how he entertained you over the years. The same is true for wrestling. You really start to get attached to some of these guys in a way you never would to a character that is just a figment of someone's imagination.

I don't agree, if only because you're heavily discounting the personalities behind the production of anime. The presence of certain production staff or voice over artists can lend a lot to the strengths of a production. Hayao Miyazaki films are what they are because of his mastery as a writer and director, for example. And sometimes, voice actors become so identified with their characters that productions have actually retired those characters when their actors have passed away. (The same holds true in video games.) And they're also just as fallible as any other human being. Yoshiyuki Tomino, the creator of Gundam, battled depression for years, which was a contributing factor to the up and down tones of his series. (Z Gundam, for example, ends on a complete and total downer, whereas its direct sequel ZZ Gundam starts off with a startlingly ridiculous tone). Similarly, Evangelion creator Hideaki Anno was battling a number of factors in his life during production, including depression, that led to the spiral of depression and experimental oddities that the final third or so of the series is known for.

I'm not saying that you're wrong about wrestling and its personalities at all. I'm not that into it personally, but at the same time, I appreciate it and how into it that its fans can be. Both wrestling and anime have creativity behind them; the inherent limitations of each shouldn't really hold one higher than the other.

They both suck, but since there's more anime in the world than wrestling, I pick wrestling. At least I wouldn't be wasting quite as much of my time.

You never have anything positive to say about anything, do you?

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wrestling is one very specific thing that doesn't ever offer anything different. Anime encompasses such a wide range of genres and target audiences that it's not surprising its easily winning this poll.

As for myself, I've never seen the appeal in wrestling, and while there is certainly plenty of anime I don't like, there is also a lot that I do.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By TruthTellah

What the heck is wrong with you guys?

This could be a fun thread comparing and contrasting the appeal of Anime and Wrestling, like hamburgers or sandwiches. But a lot of this thread is simply mean and petty. Just because you don't understand why some people enjoy something doesn't make that thing bad. Both Anime and Wrestling are entertaining things, and many different people get enjoyment out of them in their own ways.

We don't need to argue over which is "better", as though you can only like one or the other.

Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

wrestling, but I have dabbled in some anime here and there.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: I honestly think it's brave that Capcom USA has turned an odd clean-up of controversy into something that they officially embrace. They totally could have just said "She is actually a women, forget about all that crap back in the day" and that would have been that. It's cool to have diverse characters, even if she was made that way over controversy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Anime. A single episode is shorter.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the real question is... who pads for time more, anime or wrestling?

Socuteboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why does is have to be one or the other? When combined, they form something with potential far beyond that of either individual part, Gachimuchi!

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#166  Edited By Flappy

Finished watching a quality episode of Raw not too long ago, so I think this belongs here:

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I were forced to watch only one for the rest of my life it would be Anime. Anime is a medium, wrestling is a genre. In other words one provides access to multiple potential genre's while the other limits you to only watching one genre... forever.

ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korwin: Yeah.... This is were this poll falls apart. No matter what your Netflix account tells you, Anime is not a genre and Wrestling is. So this is kinda super unfair, even though Anime should be winning.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#169  Edited By turboman

@korwin said:

If I were forced to watch only one for the rest of my life it would be Anime. Anime is a medium, wrestling is a genre. In other words one provides access to multiple potential genre's while the other limits you to only watching one genre... forever.

But then you'd have to watch anime for the rest of your life.

Retromancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By Retromancy

If I had to watch either for the rest of my life I would go jump off a building.

Let's all just smile and get along.
Let's all just smile and get along.

Avatar image for killroycantkill
killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#171  Edited By killroycantkill
No Caption Provided

Anime

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#172  Edited By AndrewB

Anime at least gives you the option for potentially interesting fiction outside of the realm of the real. When wrestling attempts that, it only reminds you how ridiculous the whole thing is.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turambar: What about when Wrestling really becomes anime?

Loading Video...

roboculus92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By roboculus92

@truthtellah said:

This could be a fun thread comparing and contrasting the appeal of Anime and Wrestling, like hamburgers or sandwiches. But a lot of this thread is simply mean and petty. Just because you don't understand why some people enjoy something doesn't make that thing bad. Both Anime and Wrestling are entertaining things, and many different people get enjoyment out of them in their own ways.

We don't need to argue over which is "better", as though you can only like one or the other.

Yeah, this thread is way too salty. Anime and wrestling can coexist peacefully you guys. Go watch some ultimate muscle and tell me that ain't good. They've got a wrestler, who looks like Shredder, named Kevin Mask for crying out loud.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arbitrarywater said:

@believer258 said:

@alexandersheen said:

@sub_o said:

@believer258 said:

Anime. I have absolutely no interest in wrestling.

What if I tell you that it's naked female wrestling?

Sorry, but anime already has that: Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai!

How is this not the clear winner of the whole thing?

The first review on that page is preeeeeeety great.

I concur, good sir.

Apart from Alexandersheen's description, I didn't know anything about the show. I'm at work, so clicking on a link with the words "naked female wrestling" within the link's vicinity was not a wise idea. I risked it for the review, and it was worth it.

Also, c'mon, Jesus, guys, wrestling and anime are both generally things you watch because you want something stupid and you don't have a girlfriend, or you're incredibly lucky and you have a girlfriend that's equally as sad very understanding of your interests. We don't need to be mean to each other!

I didn't actually gave any description of it, just remembered something that fits "naked female wrestling" aired a while ago, didn't watch it myself. Saw the picture, read the genre tags and said "Haha, no thank you." Maybe Darji could tell more about it, I think.

And I agree with your sentiment, even though I would have worded it differently. Both wrestling and anime can be shitty at times but also can show how fucking awesome they are. Brock Lesnar beating the Undertaker is some horseshit, though!

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm just acting like a heel, but people who prefer anime are too stupid to understand that and that's why they don't 'get' wrestling.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watch an anime series like I would choose to watch any other series; if I dig it or not, not because it's an anime (I know, I know, anime has some pretty specific tropes to it, but still). The only series I really choose to watch are those that have an actual end, and tend to avoid some of the more Naruto/Bleach style stuff. I've only watched FMA and Cowboy Bebop to completion though.

Unless I missed it, the wrestling scene is basically non-existent in Australia, so there you go. All I know is the Hulk guy, the Undertaker man, and the Slim Jim dude.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#178  Edited By musubi

@truthtellah: Well, that is the entire question here. Its pick one not have level headed discussion. Duh! ;)

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watch an anime series like I would choose to watch any other series; if I dig it or not, not because it's an anime (I know, I know, anime has some pretty specific tropes to it, but still). The only series I really choose to watch are those that have an actual end, and tend to avoid some of the more Naruto/Bleach style stuff. I've only watched FMA and Cowboy Bebop to completion though.

Unless I missed it, the wrestling scene is basically non-existent in Australia, so there you go. All I know is the Hulk guy, the Undertaker man, and the Slim Jim dude.

If you like those, a few suggestions (These are fairly common recommendations, sorry if you already know these or are not interested):

• Ghost in The Shell: Stand alone complex (two seasons). Not just a definitive anime, GITS is one of the shows that define my science fiction tastes. I don't think cyber-punk gets any better. Recently re-watched for the third time. You probably already know about it. I don't think it is for everyone - there is a barrier to entry in the form of a lot of fast dialogue that you really need to pay attention to. Thankfully the dub version is great, but I prefer the subs.
  • Legend of Galactic Heroes. This one is a bit of a commitment. There are about 110 episodes. It is a sprawling space opera on a massive scale. To me, it as a mix of Game of Thrones / Dune / House of Cards. Starts of slow but when it gets moving it is fantastic. Intelligent writing, awesome space navy battles and some excellently realized characters. The animation is not as slick as some modern anime (LoGH ran through the 80's), you quickly forget about that. Once the real political and military shenanigans kick off.... ah its just awesome.
  • Death Note. This is an easy suggestion, and maybe has been recommended to you before. I watched the first few episodes about three times and gave up every time, not seeing the appeal. Then one day I decided to persevere and just keep going, and I realized what a fool I had been. Very smartly written, and has some of my favorite elements of anime that I find are unique to the medium - the setting up of logic puzzles and using a set of strict rules as a plot device. In this case, the Death Note comes with what seems like a set of fairly straightforward rules that end up being nothing but. It is an excellent show, and the one I usually recommend to anyone not just looking for an anime to watch, but a TV show in general.
  • Code Geass - Lelouch of the Rebellion. A lot of similarities to Death Note in that I did not like it at first and had to get a few episodes in. Also employs a set of logical rules that the protagonist uses to his advantage. This show had some of the most inventive sci-fi trappings I have seen, and excellent mech combat.
TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

http://i.minus.com/i2Z0P4LDSe8u4.gif

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None of the above. If I had to pick my poison, it's gonna be Vodka.

Junpei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I used to watch a lot of both. The difference for me is that I have fallen back into watching wrestling where as I have yet to find more than 2 or 3 anime series/movies in the last 10 years that I I felt was doing anything interesting that held my attention. Granted, I don't seek out anime the same way I used to in fairness.

Wrestling is basically just a drama with fight scenes. You'll be hard pressed to find people who believe it is 100% real and that is why the "wrestling is fake" argument doesn't hold water. Maybe it did in the 90's when the curtains were originally opening and the backstage world was finally seen, but that isn't the case now. It's a long running drama with characters and storylines just like any other show out there. The only difference is the people involved are legitimately athletes (the majority of them anyway) and even if the finishes are planned, the feats of strength that many of them can pull off are fantastic.

The majority of people that love wrestling (myself included) tend to love the business side of it just as much as the in-ring stuff. Who is getting pushed or buried, real life issues between stars, etc. There's a unique blend of reality and fiction with wrestling. When they blend the two together perfectly it is something that is really hard to replicate (See Undertaker's loss at WM30). The fans think they know what goes on in the backrooms and the writers/wrestlers go out of their way to throw you a curve. It evolves with the fans.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman said:

I rest my case.

So wrestling IS anime?

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By marc

@sterling said:

Where is the option for neither?

You have to pick a side in this war. You are either with us or against us.

Settle down, Bischoff.

KentonClay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#185  Edited By KentonClay

Anime is just TV, and like American TV, there's some really fantastic stuff mixed in with a mountain of turds. Some of my favourite shows of all time are both Japanese and animated, but so is some of the worst garbage I've ever had to sit through.

NOW LET ME TELL YOU, BROTHER, WHY I, AS AN EDUCATED AND AT LEAST SOMEWHAT INTELLIGENT ADULT, ENJOY PRO WRESTLING, JACK:

THE thing that makes wrestling compelling is the "liveness" of the whole affair on a few different levels.

1. It's highly physical and more than a little risky, which adds natural tension when you watch live
  2. A lot of it is improvised on the fly in order to best work the crowd, both on the mic and in the ring.
  3. The natural importance of the crowd itself, and how it can have a huge effect on the show.

Now, 80%+ of the time, this actually hurts the product. The lack of tight scripting and choreography can make it feel sloppy. BUT. When everything lines up just right, it feels organic and dynamic in a way that other forms of media can't really match. Not to hyperbolize too much, but when wrestling is at it's absolute best, it really feels a little bit magical and makes it worth slogging through the crap.

I should point out that I never gave wrestling the time of day until I was 20. I assumed it was only for stupid hillbillies and that a Smarty McSmarterson like myself could never enjoy such low-class tripe.

optimalpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By optimalpower

I just finished watching Ano Natsu de Matteru, and I enjoyed it.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah yeah, Ano Natsu de Matteru is a fun one. A great anime for any wrestling fan.

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#188  Edited By Bowl-of-Lentils

@truthtellah said:

@optimalpower said:

Ah yeah, Ano Natsu de Matteru is a fun one. A great anime for any wrestling fan.

Kick Heart would be another great recommendation to any wrestling fans.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By FateOfNever

Wrestling. It's basically ballet+acting with more dudes than women. When it's at its best the storytelling it does is mind blowing and the physical feats are astounding. When its at its worst it's either forgettable or a total train wreck that is still worth watching. That's not to take away from good anime, mind you, but when it comes down to it, not only do I like wrestling more as an art form, but I respect the men and women doing it who are risking their bodies, their livelihoods, and their lives, for the sake of chasing a dream and entertaining fans of all ages all around the world.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By Turambar

@demoskinos said:

Except they are real people playing characters in the same way voice actors are real people playing characters. I might not have some sort of heart rending connection with Guy Shishioh, but I swear to you if I find out tomorrow Nobuyuki Hiyama died, I am going to be bummed as fuck.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both are solid 7/10s

SacredNFG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By SacredNFG

Well, after thinking on it for a while...

ANIME!!!!!!!

Your drill is the drill that will pierce the Heavens!
Your drill is the drill that will pierce the Heavens!
korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman said:

@korwin said:

You could also just as easily watch western style animation for the rest of you life, you'd still see some Sci-fi, some fantasy and various other things. With wrestling, well all you've got is wrestling. Anime just like any other medium has a turd to entertainment ratio of about 20/1, the problem is the weeaboo jerks who insist that 20 pounds of tripe is actually the best shit ever.

ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korwin said:

@turboman said:

@korwin said:

You could also just as easily watch western style animation for the rest of you life, you'd still see some Sci-fi, some fantasy and various other things. With wrestling, well all you've got is wrestling. Anime just like any other medium has a turd to entertainment ratio of about 20/1, the problem is the weeaboo jerks who insist that 20 pounds of tripe is actually the best shit ever.

I feel like people who say "All you've got is wrestling" don't really understand the different levels of wrestling out there from the totally bizarre, goofy and fun Japanese/Indie levels of wrestling, to the total car wreck disaster pieces with no story or anything that are nothing better than backyard wrestling to the old school wrestling to the stuff like what the WWE puts out there that is a blend of comedy, and a parody of more real life issues etc. to Botchamania and just everything that's ever been botched. I get where you guys are trying to come from by saying that there are different types of genres within anime and the like, but the flippant dismissal that all wrestling is exactly the same is no better than people saying there's no variation in anime.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korwin said:

@turboman said:

@korwin said:

I feel like people who say "All you've got is wrestling" don't really understand the different levels of wrestling out there from the totally bizarre, goofy and fun Japanese/Indie levels of wrestling, to the total car wreck disaster pieces with no story or anything that are nothing better than backyard wrestling to the old school wrestling to the stuff like what the WWE puts out there that is a blend of comedy, and a parody of more real life issues etc. to Botchamania and just everything that's ever been botched. I get where you guys are trying to come from by saying that there are different types of genres within anime and the like, but the flippant dismissal that all wrestling is exactly the same is no better than people saying there's no variation in anime.

Wrestling totally does go some weird places, and there are of course multiple sources of wrestling. However what I'm getting at is that it is still all just the one genre. There are multiple forms of period drama, however would you watch that and only that forever instead of going with western television as a medium? My point is that the poll is flawed, one is a medium (animation), the other is a genre (a specific form of media inside a genre). You could just as easily create and then watch an animated wrestling show :)

SacredNFG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been getting back into anime recently after not caring for almost a decade, mostly stupidly awesome stuff like Jojo and Kill La Kill. Wrestling is something that I've always appreciated through approximation. I love hearing people talk about wrestling, and watching clips of wrestling and the like. But I never actually want to sit down and watch it by myself.

If you've been out for a whole decade, and those shows caught your attention recently, I feel obligated to point you here. I am VERY confident you won't be disappointed.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When someone asks me if I watch Anime I say "no" but honestly I do watch a select few shows that are of pretty high quality. Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Attack On Titan, etc. Anything short of those shows always feel too poorly done for me. I think it's the generic kid-like writing that so many of those shows have.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I'll take the poison.

myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I like both wrestling and anime. probably been watching wrestling longer, but both of them have been part of my life for 15+ years.