• 65 results
#1 Edited by Dallas_Raines (2200 posts) -

A Santa Clara judge on Friday chose Lake Los Angeles as the tentative location where Christopher Hubbart, the so-called Pillowcase Rapist, will live once he is released from Coalinga State Hospital.

Hubbart’s new address in the 17000 block of Laredo Vista Drive (map) is compliant with Jessica’s Law conditions, according to Santa Clara County Court spokesman Joseph Macalusco.

Judge Gilbert Brown will re-review the decision at a hearing on Dec. 4, after the public has had a chance to comment on the ruling, Macalusco said.

The California Supreme Court denied a bid to keep Hubbart in a mental hospital back in August.

The justices rejected a request by District Attorney Jackie Lacey for a new hearing on whether the 62-year-old serial rapist should be released in Santa Clara County, where he committed his most recent crimes, rather than Los Angeles, according to the L.A. Times.

Lacey released a statement announcing her office was “committed to working with our law enforcement partners to ensure that all terms and conditions of Hubbart’s release from custody are strictly enforced.”

Hubbart admitted sexually assaulting more than three dozen women in California between 1971 and 1982.

He was released from prison several times in the past, but was eventually sent back to prison after assaulting more women.

In 1996, Hubbart was declared a “sexually violent predator” and committed to a state hospital for treatment.

Nearly two decades later a Santa Clara County judge ruled in May that Hubbart was eligible for release and ordered him relocated to Los Angeles County.

The exact date of Hubbart’s release was not announced.

It was initially reported that he would be released in the city of Palmdale, but authorities later said that the home was in unincorporated Lake Los Angeles.

Once released, Hubbart must wear an electronic monitoring ankle bracelet, report his movements and submit to regular lie detector and other tests, according to the L.A. Times.

Public responses to the decision can be sent to the L.A. District Attorney’s Office, Lacey said Friday, adding that she wanted residents to “have ample opportunity to share their feelings on locating Hubbart in Lake Los Angeles.”

Read more:

http://ktla.com/2013/10/25/serial-rapist-to-be-released-in-l-a-county-location-to-be-decided/#ixzz2j9qn29X7

I'm sure his 40+ victims feel great about this.

#2 Posted by Fr0Br0 (3100 posts) -

I always got that weird "possible rapist" vibe from Nicolas Cage

#3 Posted by YoThatLimp (1933 posts) -

Isn't the whole point of our justice system rehabilitation? Hopefully the guy is better.

#4 Posted by Rick_Fingers (523 posts) -

If he has served his time, he has served his time.

If people don't want sexual predators to be released after serving their sentences, then pressure the government to institute life sentences for rapists.

#5 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

If people don't want sexual predators to be released after serving their sentences, then pressure the government to institute life sentences for rapists.

But he was released before and did the same thing. I understand that everyone or almost everyone needs a second chance but he used his chances already....

Sometimes our system is a real joke....

#6 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

How do you rape a pillowcase?

#7 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2200 posts) -

@clonedzero:

"Hubbart was known as the Pillowcase Rapist because he often used a pillowcase to quiet the screams of his victims."

#8 Posted by PandaBear (1379 posts) -

@darji said:

@rick_fingers said:

But he was released before and did the same thing. I understand that everyone or almost everyone needs a second chance but he used his chances already....

Sometimes our system is a real joke....

I think rick_fingers overall point is correct though. The system needs to be pressured by the community to change. I mean personally I think they should be gutted in the street as an example to the others, but a longer jail sentence will suffice. Look at countries like India dealing with their own rape crisis -- people go out on the street and protest over one rape. Say what you will about some of those poorer countries, they have the guts to rally and stand up for what they believe in.

#9 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

@pandabear: For every one rape they protest. There are 10,000 every year that go unnoticed and never resolved.

#10 Posted by PandaBear (1379 posts) -

@fourwude said:

@pandabear: For every one rape they protest. There are 10,000 every year that go unnoticed and never resolved.

Fair enough ... but I still think if people want change they need to do something about it. Easier said than done though I guess... still sucks though.

If it was a member of my family that was attacked I'd like to think I'd get revenge.

#11 Posted by Tireyo (6451 posts) -

@fr0br0 said:

I always got that weird "possible rapist" vibe from Nicolas Cage

You're getting the wrong vibe from the wrong person. Jim Carrey has that weird "possible rapist" vibe, and there is probably evidence of that with a man or woman somewhere!

#12 Posted by Rick_Fingers (523 posts) -

@darji: the system is the issue here.

On a personal level, I would happily cut this guy's throat and would not lose a wink of sleep.

But the point of the criminal justice system is, well, justice as defined by the laws of the day. Any criminal who is sentenced to a particular period has the right to be released when that period is up.

Sexual crimes attract a strong public outcry, and understandably so, but rapists serve a sentence just like murderers, drug dealers, fraudsters, and any other criminals, major or minor.

If the system is failing by releasing these people, then the system needs to change to reflect it.

#13 Posted by CynicalBuzzard (240 posts) -

This is just a part of the system, he has served his time so now he is a free man.

#14 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Isn't the whole point of our justice system rehabilitation? Hopefully the guy is better.

Which is why it always confuses me (it doesn't, but I don't have a better word) when people get pissed about a prisoner getting released on schedule.

#15 Posted by Demoskinos (15115 posts) -

Here is the thing I don't get people can go out and murder other people and can end up being able to overcome their pasts (albeit its still hard to get a decent paying job as a former convict) but a person commits a sexual crime and they go through treatment serve their time and then are labeled a pariah for the rest of their lives. If we as a society can eventually forgive former murderers why can't we forgive rapists as well? Note, not trying to exactly sympathize with the guy just saying I find it odd that sexual criminals seemingly can't ever outrun their pasts even if they are genuinely attempting to be functional members of society after they serve their time.

#16 Posted by HatKing (6065 posts) -

Ideally. I mean, hopefully he is better. But, we have to acknowledge that our justice system is pretty much totally fucked. And once we come to that conclusion, we have to ask ourselves if it is better to let the person who commit a few dozens crimes deal with really shitty consequences and spend their life in prison, or chance letting them go and seeing the crime committed again? It'd be a lot more obvious if the numbers weren't so heavily weighted in favor of the 'once a criminal always a criminal' theory. But this is all incredibly touchy, and I'm not trying to pretend to be any moral authority here. Like I said, ideally he's a cured, productive human now.

#17 Posted by flasaltine (1695 posts) -

I thought this thread was going to be about one of those anime pillows.

#18 Edited by DonutFever (3561 posts) -

I just hope he's learned his lesson.

#19 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2200 posts) -

Here is the thing I don't get people can go out and murder other people and can end up being able to overcome their pasts (albeit its still hard to get a decent paying job as a former convict) but a person commits a sexual crime and they go through treatment serve their time and then are labeled a pariah for the rest of their lives. If we as a society can eventually forgive former murderers why can't we forgive rapists as well? Note, not trying to exactly sympathize with the guy just saying I find it odd that sexual criminals seemingly can't ever outrun their pasts even if they are genuinely attempting to be functional members of society after they serve their time.

I could maybe understand if he was a one time rapist, but he was a serial rapist with over 40 victims(that we know of), he's done time before and just went back to his old ways. I'm not saying he should be killed, just that he's most definitely a monster. I don't feel any sympathy for serial killers, either.

#20 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I could maybe understand if he was a one time rapist, but he was a serial rapist with over 40 victims(that we know of), he's done time before and just went back to his old ways

What's that say about the system?

#21 Edited by FaPaThY (139 posts) -

Not sure how someone who's raped 38 women over a 10 year period using a clear MO can 'get better', as if he was sick or something... I'm even less sure how any sane person can defend this. I mean, look at that 'stache. It's obvious he knew what he was doing.

#22 Edited by Dallas_Raines (2200 posts) -

@video_game_king said:

@dallas_raines said:

I could maybe understand if he was a one time rapist, but he was a serial rapist with over 40 victims(that we know of), he's tdone time before and just went back to his old ways

What's that say about the system?

Yeah, it's terrible that he was able to get out so soon after committing such atrocities. I guess it goes to show you how little society evidently cares about sexual assault.

#23 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@dallas_raines:

I was saying something more along the lines of the prison system didn't do much to correct his behavior.

#24 Posted by Demoskinos (15115 posts) -

@demoskinos said:

I could maybe understand if he was a one time rapist, but he was a serial rapist with over 40 victims(that we know of), he's done time before and just went back to his old ways. I'm not saying he should be killed, just that he's most definitely a monster. I don't feel any sympathy for serial killers, either.

Well yeah, being a serial criminal in any capacity is probably where you draw the line at that point it goes from being "I made a really bad decision" to this was all premeditated. I was talking sort of at large though.

#25 Posted by AMonkey (116 posts) -

Considering his history it sounds like he should only be let out until he has volunteered for castration.

#26 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

If we just automatically locked up anyone with a mustache like that, we, as a society, could save a lot of time and effort.

#27 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5903 posts) -

Hopefully he's completely reformed and can reintroduce himself into society peacefully without faltering back in any way.

#28 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2200 posts) -

@dallas_raines:

I was saying something more along the lines of the prison system didn't do much to correct his behavior.

Do you honestly believe stone cold psychopaths like BTK or Robert Black could become normal members of society?

#29 Posted by Kevin_Cogneto (1168 posts) -

You guys do understand that this news story isn't about whether or not he should be released, but to which community he should be released into, right? Granted, I wouldn't want this dude in my neighborhood either, but this is about a fight over where this dude is going to live, not over whether he should be released. There is such a thing as habeas corpus after all. One serial rapist being lawfully released is worrying, but the Justice Department unlawfully detaining a man beyond his sentence would be far moreso.

#30 Posted by MAN_FLANNEL (2462 posts) -

Lol I was expecting some weird Japanese pillows in this thread.

#31 Posted by Korolev (1723 posts) -

It's about their compulsion. A once-off murderer who only kills once over a debt or a fight may not find themselves in a position where they would murder again. Many murderers don't kill because they want to kill - they kill in order to achieve an objective. So there is a good chance, that if not placed in the same position, they wouldn't kill again.

Serial killers are different - they kill for the SAKE of killing. They LIKE killing. Release them and they'll kill again.. and again.... and again... because that's what they are compelled to do.

A serial rapist is the same - Rape is not an ends to achieve a goal, the goal is to Rape. He raped dozens of people, possibly more. He has a sick compulsion to rape, that he can't control. If he could control it, he never would have raped anyone. The fact that he did, and the fact that he resumed raping after he was released from prison previously, means that he can't control himself. There's something wrong with him in his head - he has sick, strange desires that we can't rid him of. He's a continuous threat because he can't stop himself and he'll NEVER stop wanting to rape women. I strongly believe that he's sick in his mind, and no psychotherapy will help him. Release him, and I can guarantee you that as long as he is physical able to rape, he'll rape.

I think the law should be changed - serial rapists like him should never be released into society. Ever. Maybe they shouldn't spend their life in jail, but don't put them back into society - surely there's an island we can send them to, right? Exile them.

#32 Posted by Korolev (1723 posts) -

Rehabilitation is just one of the goals of a modern justice system. Protection from people with sick compulsions is another. We lock up people like Ted Bundy, not because we really think he can be reformed, but because people like Ted Bundy will never stop killing people. This pillow-case rapist will not stop assaulting people. They let him out once, he immediately went back to doing what he did. If he's in jail, he can't rape the good people of California.

#33 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@video_game_king said:

@dallas_raines:

Do you honestly believe stone cold psychopaths like BTK or Robert Black could become normal members of society?

What would you do with them, then, if not even try to cure them of this?

#34 Edited by Dallas_Raines (2200 posts) -

@video_game_king said:

@dallas_raines said:

@video_game_king said:

@dallas_raines:

Serial rapists and killers are the kind of people that should stay behind bars until they die. Simple as that. I don't believe you can 'fix' a man like Robert Black, who raped, murdered and mutilated little girls, and is suspected of many more murders than just the ones he was convicted for.

#35 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Serial rapists and killers are the kind of people that should stay behind bars until they die.

But wouldn't supporting these monsters for the rest of their natural lives be a great waste of tax-payer money, especially knowing that their behavior can never be corrected?

#36 Posted by tourgen (4542 posts) -

@dallas_raines said:

@video_game_king said:

@dallas_raines:

remove them from society. They had more than a fair run at it and they failed. At some point we get to decide to cut our losses and throw them out with the trash.

#37 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Maybe now we will have a true rape culture.

#38 Posted by Slag (4737 posts) -

A person who has repeatedly exhibited such strong recidivist tendencies should have never received a sentence that ever allowed them to be set free. The first time he was set free the sick piece of crap raped another 15 women.

Absolutely disgusting.

I do not believe someone like him could possibly be rehabilitated.

#39 Posted by SexyToad (2759 posts) -

@tourgen said:

@video_game_king said:

@dallas_raines said:

@video_game_king said:

@dallas_raines:

remove them from society. They had more than a fair run at it and they failed. At some point we get to decide to cut our losses and throw them out with the trash.

I think that was the main idea behind prison. Not to 'treat' prisoners, but to isolate them away from society.

#40 Posted by Korwin (2985 posts) -

Why is does every serial rapist rapist ever always fit like 1 of 3 physical profiles.

#41 Posted by Hunter5024 (5912 posts) -

If he was released and committed the same crime, he should never be released again. I can understand it for criminals whose livelihood is dependent on their crime. If you're a convicted felon with no job history, then it's probably pretty hard to make an honest living. This guy's crimes are based purely on feeding his own pleasure at the horrible expense of other humans though, and he was already given a second chance. That being said, it sounds like they're being as smart as they can about this. I hope they're really strict about his restrictions, because I have trouble imagining a court putting a man back in prison for failing a lie detector test, though in this case I'd say it's absolutely necessary.

#42 Edited by super2j (1752 posts) -

@clonedzero:

"Hubbart was known as the Pillowcase Rapist because he often used a pillowcase to quiet the screams of his victims."

I bet you feel like a jerk now @clonedzero hmm?

Also, if he already been released and committed the same crime again, can he be rehabilitated? Theoretically speaking, yes, but realistically speaking, I would say if it didnt work last time, it probably won't work this time.

What is the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result(ie, trying the same rehabilitation method)? The western justice system might just be insane, I know I have heard enough stories that would support that.

#43 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3908 posts) -

@video_game_king said:

@dallas_raines said:

@video_game_king said:

@dallas_raines:

Serial rapists and killers are the kind of people that should stay behind bars until they die. Simple as that. I don't believe you can 'fix' a man like Robert Black, who raped, murdered and mutilated little girls, and is suspected of many more murders than just the ones he was convicted for.

This is my thought. Rehabilitation is fine and good but for people like that, they can't be rehabilitated, there is something fundamentally broken inside them and they shouldn't ever be allowed back in normal society. Ever.

#44 Posted by me3639 (1837 posts) -

He just had some mental health issues. I think he will be an active(kill or rape) a member of any community.

#45 Posted by MB (12949 posts) -

What sucks is that this piece of human garbage committed his crimes before California's Three Strikes law was put into effect. Otherwise, it would have been a life sentence without the possibility of parole in a pound-me-in-the-ass prison. Not that it matters how bad of a prison someone like this is put into, because like child molesters, rapists are afforded special privileges while inside such as being segregated from the general population who all want to end them.

#46 Posted by RonGalaxy (3263 posts) -

That picture is sinister and doesn't make me feel good. Reading about him reinforces that feeling 10 fold.

#47 Posted by Imst (61 posts) -

Ever watched Dexter??

#48 Posted by TehBuLL (613 posts) -

@demoskinos: right. Some people are just broken. I know that is hard to understand for a lot of functioning humans but remember that we are animals. Society isn't for everyone.

#49 Posted by DarthOrange (3878 posts) -

@hatking said:

@yothatlimp said:

Ideally. I mean, hopefully he is better. But, we have to acknowledge that our justice system is pretty much totally fucked. And once we come to that conclusion, we have to ask ourselves if it is better to let the person who commit a few dozens crimes deal with really shitty consequences and spend their life in prison, or chance letting them go and seeing the crime committed again? It'd be a lot more obvious if the numbers weren't so heavily weighted in favor of the 'once a criminal always a criminal' theory. But this is all incredibly touchy, and I'm not trying to pretend to be any moral authority here. Like I said, ideally he's a cured, productive human now.

As a dude who probably know more about crime than anyone else on these forums, I have to say I am not familiar with the 'once a criminal always a criminal' theory. I am familiar with most sociologists but I guess I must have missed a big one.

I'm just busting your balls, I know you pulled that out of your ass. I recommend you check out the labeling theory to see why people like you are part of the problem.

#50 Posted by TruthTellah (9428 posts) -

Third time's the charm?

I certainly do hope he is rehabilitated, but it's good that they'll continue to keep him closely monitored.