#1 Posted by innacces14 (737 posts) -

Any of you guys had a moment where you dove back into an old save, run into a dire situation, and make it through in flying colors because of a spec choice you've made all those months/years back managed to save your ass?

Haven't played Skyrim in a while and now that Hearthfire's out I decided to cough up the $5 to burn a couple hours. Had a bit of a scuffle with some Draugr Overlords and I did manage to forget some of the last few perks that I picked so when I was walking backwards and doing power swings one of the Draugr hit the floor paralyzed. I was dumbfounded at what happened when the groove suddenly hit me. I hit the crouch button and went invisible and started dwindling their numbers with my Dragonbone Bow and went on to find what I was looking for. After the scuffle I reviewed what perks I picked for my character and said to myself "Huh. I picked these for a reason". Pat myself on the back and went on my merry way. haha

It's not just an RPG thing though. I could imagine load-outs in BF3 or customized cars in GT/Forza sparking the same reaction. I could even imagine this working against someone as well so if you guys got a story like that please share. lol

#2 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

One time I was searching through my Max Payne 1 quick saves and in each and every single one I was bullet diving towards an explosion/hail of gunfire with no hope of escaping alive. I wondered aloud what the hell I must have been thinking to save the game in those situations.

#3 Edited by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -

This wasn't me, but I loaded up one of my old pokemon games, and found my brother had been playing, and named his character "SLUT". 

...I'm sure the dialogue in that playthrough was hilarious.

#4 Posted by JasonR86 (9723 posts) -

I put in Tony Hawk 3 recently and saw my created guy and realized after seeing my created guy that I have essentially the same fashion sense I had when I was 14.

#5 Posted by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

Try programming then coming back to uncommented code you wrote a year later. Take that same feeling but just multiply it until you get to the point where you're just thinking "The fuck did I write all of the for?" that's what that feeling is like lol.

But yeah I get that a lot, when I go back to games like Skyrim or Oblivion it always takes me a while to remember and get into the groove of things.

#6 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

This wasn't me, but I loaded up one of my old pokemon games, and found my brother had been playing, and named his character "SLUT".

...I'm sure the dialogue in that playthrough was hilarious.

Ha! My name was MOM.

#7 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

I don't remember this happening to me, but I have gone back to games I beat as a kid and died like 5 minutes into it.

Specifically I beat Super Mario Brothers 3 when I was 5-6 and having tried to play it again at 25 I couldn't even get to world 2.

#8 Posted by TyCobb (1973 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

I don't remember this happening to me, but I have gone back to games I beat as a kid and died like 5 minutes into it.

Specifically I beat Super Mario Brothers 3 when I was 5-6 and having tried to play it again at 25 I couldn't even get to world 2.

You don't even need to get to world 2. Just get the 2 whistles in the first world and warp to the last world =)

#9 Posted by benefitevil (49 posts) -

When ever I go back to an old save I always have that moment where I look at the load out and realize what the hell was I thinking?!? I had to restart so many games because I made such bad decisions when I was younger.

#10 Edited by Sursh (243 posts) -

I had a Fallout 3 save from 2010, I was saved next to a Deathclaw, this was directly after a binge of sidequesticals, which I had not managed to save in that meantime. The amount of weapons and ammo I had were abysmal, which lead to continious deaths. Tragic, I was beggining to enjoy the game aswell.

#11 Posted by TobbRobb (4840 posts) -

Looking at my old Final Fantasy saves is always fun.

I have no idea how I managed to pull through with such moronic setups, I guess I was just really stubborn once upon a time.

#12 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

yeah, i get those sometimes playing old games. it gets pretty crazy thinking about. has this ever happened where you beat the game, decide to play it again. you get stuck at a part and never get past it. it's happened to me.

#13 Posted by Profsn1pe (16 posts) -

I usually can't go back to previous saves since I have a hard time getting back into a groove after a long lay off so I will almost always start a new game than go back to a previois save after about a month or so lay off. That being said I did reload my resident evil 4 save awhile back since it is near the top of the list of games I want to beat but can't for various reasons. Anyway when I uploaded the save I was at the one castle and I walked around for about an hour trying to figure out what to do since I killed all of the enemies and I couldn't figure out what to do for the longest time. I did find my way and it was the part where you are trapped in a steel box with the blind beserker enemy and I died so many times I just gave up a second time. I believe that part frustrated me enough the first part I gave up at that point to come back at a later point after I calmed down to beat it much like I did with some of the other parts but I never did for about a month or so. Now I have to do all that over again so I can make it to that part again.