#1 Posted by LordCrom (277 posts) -

38 years old and have drank very little alcohol except beer. Haven't enjoyed the harsh taste of most. Looking to find one that I can get right off the shelf that goes down smooth, maybe even a little sweet. Any recommendations?

#2 Posted by MB (11302 posts) -

@lordcrom: Try Southern Comfort. It's a whiskey liqueur that comes in several different proofs, it's a good way to introduce yourself into the world of whiskey and scotch.

#3 Posted by Missacre (566 posts) -

I would say try some bourbon. It goes down smooth and it tastes good. Maybe something like Maker's Mark, Wild Turkey, or Jim Beam.

#4 Posted by TyCobb (1924 posts) -

Jameson. Always Jameson.

#5 Posted by MB (11302 posts) -

@tycobb said:

Jameson. Always Jameson.

I love me some Jameson but I wouldn't go so far as to call is a beginner liquor or "sweet"...I mean it's pretty smooth but it also has some very strong flavors going on.

#6 Posted by Vuud (1441 posts) -

Gasoline straight from the pump. The 10% ethanol makes it go down smooooooooooth.

#7 Posted by falserelic (4949 posts) -

@vuud said:

Gasoline straight from the pump. The 10% ethanol makes it go down smooooooooooth.

If he really wants to be hardcore he needs to try some of that Pruno.

Be warn drinking too much can kill you.

#8 Posted by TriBeard (118 posts) -

I have somewhat limited experience with the harder stuff, but if I recall correctly, Makers Mark (the original, not the makers 46) is some of the smoothest, least harsh and "hot" bourbon that I have had. And I'm from Kentucky, so I should know. lol.

#9 Edited by TyCobb (1924 posts) -

@mb said:

@tycobb said:

Jameson. Always Jameson.

I love me some Jameson but I wouldn't go so far as to call is a beginner liquor or "sweet"...I mean it's pretty smooth but it also has some very strong flavors going on.

However! It is off the shelf, not harsh, and smooth. Sweet was optional by the use of "maybe" in the suggestion. ;)

The only other thing I can think of is Yukon Jack. I hate Liqueurs, but I like it better than Southern Comfort.

#10 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

Gin and tonics until you can't stand. Then just gin until you can't see.

#11 Posted by LordCrom (277 posts) -

I think I'm leaning towards trying either Southern Comfort or Yukon Jack to start.

#12 Edited by Rick_Fingers (524 posts) -

If you want something sweet and smooth then Bailey's, Tia Maria, and such things are certainly easy to drink

#13 Posted by zFUBARz (590 posts) -

I like Tequila with about half a lemon or lime over ice. It's pretty smooth. But what do I know I drink tequila a sipping drink.

#14 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3031 posts) -

Grey Goose.

#15 Edited by Korwin (2721 posts) -

Blanton's Special Reserve (green label). It's a good quality whisky but at a lower proof which makes it more approachable for people looking to test the waters.

#16 Posted by Donkeycow (550 posts) -

Real men drink scotch. Aberlour 12 year is pretty decent for its price.

#17 Posted by Nodima (944 posts) -

Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey. Seriously.

Or, if you run in a pretty cool crowd, you might know someone who knows where to buy a bottle of Green Chartreuse. You might come to know that person as a personal hero.

#18 Posted by Nodima (944 posts) -

Or, if you run in a pretty cool crowd, you might know someone who knows where to buy a bottle of Green Chartreuse. You might come to know that person as a personal hero.

#19 Posted by MB (11302 posts) -

@nodima said:

Yes! I just re-read this thread and I can't believe I didn't think of Honey Jack before. I sent @red12b a bottle of it earlier this year, I'll let him confirm the awesomeness of it.

#20 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4029 posts) -

Buchanan's Whiskey

#21 Posted by Nodima (944 posts) -

@mb I had it for the first time around the start of this summer and it was pretty shocking how easy to drink it was, not just for whiskey but alcohol in general. it tastes exactly like what the OP was asking for from those couple months I kept some around.

#22 Posted by Sweep (8542 posts) -

Unleash the Kraken!

#23 Posted by WickedFather (1714 posts) -

Merlot. It's a good way to start on the wine path because it has less tannin that most reds. The first couple of bottles of wine might make you screw your face up but things really will change. Red wine is gorgeous. I had a bottle of Chateau Neuf for my birthday and it tasted like lolly sticks at first then it was like someone was sneaking bits of melted dark chocolate into my mouth. It went down really well playing co-op on Gears of War. White wine all tastes like sulphur to me - it's the xbox one of drinks.

It made me laugh recently when someone in the chat thought that Stella was genuinely a fancy beer. It's brackish rubbish and the lowest of the low in its own country. A clever ad campaign made people think it was pure quality.

Cocktail wise a Mohito is great, almost as good as a caipirinha. With the limes caipirinhas I consider an easy path to your 'Five a Day' governmental fruit recommendation.

I'd avoid tequila as a starting point. It's pretty sour. I heard a comedian once who said that everybody has a tequila story. Mine is this: I found a litre bottle of it on a train still in the wrapping from the duty free. I was going to see friends and asked if anybody wanted it and nobody did so I took it home. A month later me an my girlfriend came back from her relatives and we drank it and got absolutely fekkin bammed. We fell asleep on the setee, I woke up first and tried to get her to go to bed but she wouldn't budge so I said "Get up you c*nt!" in a pretty charming fashion. She got up and told me that I had to hit her. "What do you mean?" I said. She stood there swaying with her eyes closed and insisted that I had to hit her. She asked me to do it a couple of times and I started questioning if I really had to do it because it was like that weird logic you get in dreams sometimes. I was so close to slugging her full in the face.

Booze is fookin champion!

#24 Edited by WickedFather (1714 posts) -

Merlot. It's a good way to start on the wine path because it has less tannin that most reds. The first couple of bottles of wine might make you screw your face up but things really will change. Red wine is gorgeous. I had a bottle of Chateau Neuf for my birthday and it tasted like lolly sticks at first then it was like someone was sneaking bits of melted dark chocolate into my mouth. It went down really well playing co-op on Gears of War. White wine all tastes like sulphur to me - it's the xbox one of drinks.

It made me laugh recently when someone in the chat thought that Stella was genuinely a fancy beer. It's brackish rubbish and the lowest of the low in its own country. A clever ad campaign made people think it was pure quality.

Cocktail wise a Mohito is great, almost as good as a caipirinha. With the limes caipirinhas I consider an easy path to your 'Five a Day' governmental fruit recommendation.

I'd avoid tequila as a starting point. It's pretty sour. I heard a comedian once who said that everybody has a tequila story. Mine is this: I found a litre bottle of it on a train still in the wrapping from the duty free. I was going to see friends and asked if anybody wanted it and nobody did so I took it home. A month later me an my girlfriend came back from her relatives and we drank it and got absolutely fekkin bammed. We fell asleep on the setee, I woke up first and tried to get her to go to bed but she wouldn't budge so I said "Get up you c*nt!" in a pretty charming fashion. She got up and told me that I had to hit her. "What do you mean?" I said. She stood there swaying with her eyes closed and insisted that I had to hit her. She asked me to do it a couple of times and I started questioning if I really had to do it because it was like that weird logic you get in dreams sometimes. I was so close to slugging her full in the face.

Booze is fookin champion!

#25 Posted by dudeglove (7254 posts) -

Waregi.

#26 Edited by MB (11302 posts) -

@sweep: so weird, I picked up a bottle of Kraken tonight at the store and am making mai tais right now.

#27 Posted by MB (11302 posts) -

@nodima said:

@mb I had it for the first time around the start of this summer and it was pretty shocking how easy to drink it was, not just for whiskey but alcohol in general. it tastes exactly like what the OP was asking for from those couple months I kept some around.

Seriously! It was really a brilliant suggestion, it's one of the best "intro" straight liquors available today, I think. Last weekend I even got two girls drinking it straight who normally wouldn't dream of drinking anything like that. Really good stuff, I know some whiskey purists won't touch it because it's sweetened, but damn, it's delicious.

#28 Edited by Sweep (8542 posts) -

@mb: While I was away I was mostly drinking Monkey Juice, which is exclusive to a couple of islands in Malaysia. It's 25% and you can get 350mlm bottles for 17 Ringgits, which is about 5 dollars according to google. I could drink it forever. With anything.

#29 Edited by MB (11302 posts) -

@sweep: OH NICE! I've never had that brand but I know arak well....allllllll too well. It's very common in the Middle East as well. How much licorice flavor is in that one?

#30 Posted by Sweep (8542 posts) -

@mb: None at all, it's basically rum.

#31 Posted by GValo (162 posts) -

@tribeard said:

Makers Mark (the original, not the makers 46)

I've only had original, what is 46?

#32 Edited by AlexanderSheen (4671 posts) -

Methanol. That shit will knock your boots off.

#33 Posted by TriBeard (118 posts) -

@gvalo: Its just a little bit... stronger I guess? It's supposed to have a little more of the vanilla flavors and such, and they age it for longer in the barrels before they bottle it. However, in my experience, while it is still damn good bourbon, it is a little harsher than classic makers. For someone who has more experience and is more accustomed to bourbon/hard liquor then it would be worth a try, but for someone just starting out I wouldn't probably recommend it for straight drinking. (and remember guys, single ice cubes in your whiskey.)

#34 Posted by squiDc00kiE (340 posts) -

Bookers bourbon. $60 and worth every cent. The best mid-range whiskey I've had.

#35 Edited by Seppli (9744 posts) -

In my mispent youth, my poison was Absolut Vodka right out of the freezer - Liquid Ice. Or straight on the rocks with a slice of lime. But really, outside of numbing my sensation of carnal pleasures just enough to put me in full control of the situation, what exactly does hard liquor do that's so worthwhile? One bottle of beer or a glass of wine a day - if any - it is for me these days.

That said, I guess it's an acquired taste, and once you're *getting it*, I'm sure it's nice. From my experiences with acquired tastes like smoking and drinking, you're better off without acquiring the taste for it. Acquire a taste for exercise or public fucking or anything more savory than hard liquor instead.

#36 Edited by LordCrom (277 posts) -

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. Looks I got a lot to consider. I tried some Southern Comfort last night, didn't much care for it, straight or with coke. I was going to try Yukon Jack, but the store didn't have it. I believe I am going to try for Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey next, that is sounding like a good possibility.

#37 Posted by Breadfan (6586 posts) -

Jim Beam's Red Stag is pretty good.

#38 Posted by TriBeard (118 posts) -

@lordcrom: if you are going for coke and something, my favorite is just regular, plain old jack and coke. The harshness of that whiskey is great with the sweetness of the coke. Very Old Barton (if you can find it around you, might just be a KY thing) is a good, inexpensive bourbon for mixing. It's not too bad straight, but its not good either.

#39 Edited by nate6858 (160 posts) -

Grand Marnier on the rocks is pretty good. I'm not a big liquor drinker but that stuff is alright. I would have to say my favorite mixed drink is probably a White Russian.

If you have some of that Southern Comfort left, try mixing it with Dr. Pepper. I feel like the flavors match up really well.

#40 Posted by Dark (356 posts) -

Buy a bottle of blue lable johnny and wonder how you never drank straight spirits before.

Then realize you can never drink any other spirits straight after, they certainly know how to make a $200 scotch taste like its worth it.

#41 Posted by Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto (592 posts) -

Spirytus and some variety of fruit soda.

#42 Posted by Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto (592 posts) -

Spirytus and some variety of fruit soda.

#43 Posted by chiablo (847 posts) -

This is the kind I use, but I honestly can't tell a difference between brands.

#44 Posted by ShockD (2381 posts) -

Go with Absinthe if it's legal in your state. Because very soon it might not be!

#45 Posted by Optix12 (576 posts) -

@sweep: is Kraken rum really that good? I see it on general UK shelves but never see it under £20, and at that point if im spending that much i may as well chip in an extra 5 to get some ron de jeremy which i know is damn smooth

#46 Edited by Kidavenger (3380 posts) -
#47 Posted by sciential (26 posts) -

Gin or vodka tonics. You can buy mid-shelf liquor like Gordon's or Gilbey's and it'll still taste fine. The tonic will cover up the alcohol taste and burn that turns off people new to spirits but it's not sweet like a kid's drink. If you don't like a vodka tonic, you're probably never going to like straight liquor or strong cocktails.

#48 Edited by GValo (162 posts) -

@tribeard: awesome. Makers is my drink of choice when I want a hard liquor and not beer so I'll have to try it out next time I spot it behind a bar.

#49 Posted by mikethekilla (327 posts) -

Bailey's

#50 Posted by Pezen (1469 posts) -

Just buy Fireball and you're all set. From their site; "If you haven't tried it, just imagine what it's like to get a Chuck Norris roundhouse kick to the face if his legs were on fire and tasted like cinnamon."

If you want a nice entry into whiskey I would recommend Jura's Superstition. As someone who has a hard time liking whiskey, this one actually went down rather smoothly. Also, it evolves nicely over time if you drink it with ice as the water mixes with the whiskey.

As for a sweeter suggestion, I would suggest Larsen's Very Special Viking Cognac.