#1 Posted by egg (1469 posts) -

I keep getting this message "Plugin container for Firefox has stopped working." it has been closed, etc.

my details:

• Firefox 13.0
  • Flash is up to date (version 11,3,300,257)
  • Vista Home Basic 32-bit
  • Avast Free

I'm guessing it's because Firefox has been updated recently and that's what is causing the error? (and it will be fixed in a later update?)

Does Flash have something to do with it? Avast? Or is it a virus? Come to think of it Secunia just said this monning that it removed a version of Flash. (or that i.e. a version of Flash was removed, not necessarily that Secunia removed it) I didn't really pay too much attention to it.

#2 Posted by i8246i (119 posts) -

Restart the computer.

Make sure Shockwave is up to date as well.

Maybe don't open up so many tabs with flash-dependant elements in them (multiple YouTube videos, GB videos).

#3 Edited by egg (1469 posts) -

@i8246i said:

Shockwave means Flash right? It says I have the latest version when I go to their website.

edit: Secunia says I have 3 insecure programs, one of them Sun Java JRE. Updating it now. (through Secunia)

#4 Posted by stalefishies (343 posts) -
@egg said:

@i8246i said:

Shockwave means Flash right? It says I have the latest version when I go to their website.

edit: Secunia says I have 3 insecure programs, one of them Sun Java JRE. Updating it now. (through Secunia)

No, Shockwave means Shockwave.

http://get.adobe.com/shockwave/
#5 Posted by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

I know something that can fix all of your problems. Drop Firefox and switch to Chrome.

#6 Edited by egg (1469 posts) -

@stalefishies said:

@egg said:

@i8246i said:

No, Shockwave means Shockwave.

http://get.adobe.com/shockwave/

Because of you guys, I was just now about to download it just to make sure I have the latest version. But then I was like, wait, do I even HAVE Shockwave?

It's not listed in Secunia. It's not in my Programs list. If I don't have Shockwave then I don't need to download it, right? Unless the lack of Shockwave is somehow causing the problem.

#7 Posted by Toxeia (730 posts) -

@matthias2437 said:

I know something that can fix all of your problems. Drop Firefox and switch to Chrome.

Someone beat me to it.

Adobe Flash and Adobe Shockwave are different programs, though I haven't seen Shockwave on a website since the mid to late 90's. I'd recommend dropping it (if you have it) as it's just one more adobe swiss-cheese program for backdoors and exploits.

And it might be a good idea to not use Secunia to keep your computer up to date. All these programs have their own update managers and those will be up to date faster than a third party program. If I had to blame it on anything there, it'd be Secunia.

#8 Posted by egg (1469 posts) -

@Toxeia said:

@matthias2437 said:

Someone beat me to it.

Adobe Flash and Adobe Shockwave are different programs, though I haven't seen Shockwave on a website since the mid to late 90's. I'd recommend dropping it (if you have it) as it's just one more adobe swiss-cheese program for backdoors and exploits.

And it might be a good idea to not use Secunia to keep your computer up to date. All these programs have their own update managers and those will be up to date faster than a third party program. If I had to blame it on anything there, it'd be Secunia.

I rarely use Secunia to update things (unless it does so automatically... but if it does this constantly does this without me knowing, then fawk me) Granted I did it for Java JRE just now because I didn't really know how to update that the real way and was too lazy to try.

I suppose I *could* switch to Chrome but I like Noscript and Menu Editor.

#9 Edited by i8246i (119 posts) -

If you have Shockwave installed, it should show up under Add/Remove Programs. It might be listed as "Adobe Shockwave".

However, the lack of Shockwave shouldn't cause Firefox or its plugin manager program (plugin-container.exe) to crash. Usually that crashes for me when I have too many videos open, or some Adobe product (pdf reader, shockwave, or flash) errors.

Also, I've not heard of this "Secunia" before. I googled it, and its both an informational website about malware, and also a source of a few security programs. Are you running Avast AND some combination of programs from Secunia? You could be running out of system memory, as Avast! has turned into a resource hog with this year's revisions.

#10 Posted by i8246i (119 posts) -

@matthias2437 said:

#11 Posted by Toxeia (730 posts) -

@egg: Something I don't like about Firefox is that it installs stuff like Flash or Java as plug ins for itself when it should really be system wide. The Java RE should have an update manager that starts up with your computer and tells you there's an update.

Also I looked it up, there are two extensions for Chrome that are like NoScript for Firefox. Look up NotScript and ScriptNo (Neither are related to NoScript, but claim to aim for the same functionality).

I'm looking for something similar to Menu Editor, butI'm not sure why you need it.

And DON'T get Shockwave if you don't already have it. It's been defunct since the 90's.

#12 Edited by i8246i (119 posts) -

@Toxeia said:

@egg: Something I don't like about Firefox is that it installs stuff like Flash or Java as plug ins for itself when it should really be system wide. The Java RE should have an update manager that starts up with your computer and tells you there's an update.

Also I looked it up, there are two extensions for Chrome that are like NoScript for Firefox. Look up NotScript and ScriptNo (Neither are related to NoScript, but claim to aim for the same functionality).

I'm looking for something similar to Menu Editor, butI'm not sure why you need it.

And DON'T get Shockwave if you don't already have it. It's been defunct since the 90's.

Shockwave is still in use, and its still being updated.

Adobe Flash has two different installers: one for IE, and one for "other browsers". If Mozilla is to blame for needing a separate installer (which I doubt) for their browser, the blame is shared with Opera, Chrome, Safari, and all other alternative browsers.

The Java updater has crashed for me on so many computers that if I had a dollar for each instance I could probably pay off my auto loan. Also, you can't really rely on the notifier to tell you when an update is available, since it is not checking for updates in real time...but on a schedule.

Chrome does not render some websites properly...just like Firefox...and cannot support as many open tabs at once like Firefox can. Therefore, there is no excuse to switch to Chrome unless a user finds its UI to be more pleasing.

We're trying to fix a problem with a user's computer here, not throw our opinions around like they're cold hard facts.

#13 Edited by Toxeia (730 posts) -

@i8246i: I installed Java as a stand-alone, and it checks for updates at every boot up. Bubble pops up "Java JRE is checking for updates..." and then it'll tell me "There's an update. Click here to install" or "There are no updates" and it disappears. If the schedule's "Every start-up" then you're right, it's on a schedule. And I'd like to see some of these pages that Chrome doesn't display properly. And what's your reasoning on Chrome not supporting as many open tabs as chrome when it uses fewer resources? You know that Chrome uses multiple instances of the application so that if a tab crashes it doesn't take down the whole browser, right?

And the problem, if you'll read it, is that Firefox's plug-in handler is broken. Go figure.

#14 Edited by i8246i (119 posts) -

@Toxeia:

And the problem, if you'll read it, is that Firefox's plug-in handler is broken. Go figure.

No, the problem is that something is causing the plugin handler to crash. Not because the plugin handler is broken. Honestly, since we're not getting any technical info or any crash data from the OP, we can't find out *what* is causing it to crash, but we cannot say it is Mozilla's issue.

I installed Java as a stand-alone, and it checks for updates at every boot up. Bubble pops up "Java JRE is checking for updates..." and then it'll tell me "There's an update. Click here to install" or "There are no updates" and it disappears.

Congrats on having ONE good install of Java. Try installing it on several hundred computers and try using its taskbar updater to keep things up-to-date....it will crash.

Anyway...this is conversation that does not help the OP, and is derailing the thread.

OP, do you have any update to this problem? Have you also attempted to uninstall and reinstall Firefox? Or heck, what were you doing when the program first crashed?

#15 Posted by Toxeia (730 posts) -

@i8246i: You seem pretty upset. Sorry you're not able to get Java to install correctly on any of your several hundred installs. Maybe you had a bad installer. The easily over one-hundred installs I've done I've never had issues.

Also - why on earth would you bring up shockwave when he had made no mention of it? Sure it's getting updates but Shockwave's been dead in the water for about a decade.

@egg: As far as what was said about Avast! being a resource hog, I'd have to agree. I use AntiVir ( freeav.com ). It's pretty small and doesn't take up much cpu time or memory at all. At the very least I'd suggest you get AVG ( grisoft.com ), if only because it seems AntiVir's not well known and some people don't trust it for that reason.

#16 Posted by ZimboDK (848 posts) -

Well, I've got Avast Free (switching it out soon though. It's become bloated as hell), newest FF. No problems. So that might not be the issue. Do you maybe have any anti-spyware programs installed? They have been known to occasionally cause issues with FF.

Also, disable your antivirus just in case. If FF doesn't crash, there's your problem.

What programs are you running? Any one of them could be interfering.

Probably most important, which plugins do you have? One of them could easily be causing problems. Try disabling them one by one, and see if that helps.

#17 Edited by egg (1469 posts) -

I thought I was in the clear since it hasn't come up in a while. But it came up just now.

I had no windows open except 1 Firefox window, and it was on this article:http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion/30/the-permanence-of-death-and-the-military-fantasy-in-games/549197/#16

I doubt that page should be a resource hog, but maybe resource is a factor because my computer is slightly humming (well that's normal) and the humming is changing pitch. But I don't know what it could be. The biggest process running right now is FireFox (206,000 K) followed by Adobe Flash Player (13,000 K) and IrfanView (9,844 K) Is it normal for Firefox to be 200,000 K ? edit: actually the value goes up and down a lot when I open or go to a different page. It's 139,000 K now, or was before I wrote this sentence. 128,000K.

Question. Is disabling and add-on the same as removing it? Well on 2nd thought I will choose remove just to be safe.

edit: I just noticed I have two instances running of Flash Player Plugin. o.o

#18 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (1068 posts) -

Try this link and see what it says about your plugins. Normally it is flash that will mess it up for me, but only when i go crazy with the tabs and even then only rarely, so you probably have a bad plugin.

@Toxeia said:

And what's your reasoning on Chrome not supporting as many open tabs as chrome when it uses fewer resources? You know that Chrome uses multiple instances of the application so that if a tab crashes it doesn't take down the whole browser, right?

Chrome edges out firefox by a small amount most of the time, but when you go crazy with the tabs it cant keep up with firefox.

#19 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

lol @ people blindly saying to switch to Chrome, when in fact the latest version of Firefox outclassed Chrome v19 in almost all testing categories.   http://lifehacker.com/5917714/browser-speed-tests-chrome-19-firefox-13-internet-explorer-9-and-opera-1164 

and FYI, I use Chrome myself because the syncing stuff works better (and with my phone) but the blind fanboyism for Chrome is absolutely ridiculous around here sometimes. Firefox is not a bad browser nor is Chrome anything more than a different flavour of browsing, dicktits.  

#20 Posted by egg (1469 posts) -

@Lego_My_Eggo said:

Try this link and see what it says about your plugins. Normally it is flash that will mess it up for me, but only when i go crazy with the tabs and even then only rarely, so you probably have a bad plugin.

It shows 2 outdated plugins, both Java. After that there's 5 up-to-date plugins and 11 unknown plugins. But I guess I'll update the Java ones.

by the way, by Firefox just updated from version 13 to version 13.0.1. I'll see if the problem persists.

#21 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (1068 posts) -

@egg: If you still have problems it wouldn't be a bad idea check out all your plugins and see if you need them, or if they are useless junk you can get rid of. Some programs like to install plugins for your web browser that you really don't need and probably are not using, which can slow it down and may be causing it to crash your plugin container.

#22 Posted by ShockD (2431 posts) -

I'm having the same issue right now. Can't exactly understand what causes it, but it doesn't always happen; only sometimes when I close the browser. Still not a reason to switch to another browser.

#23 Posted by wordfalling (193 posts) -

I was complaining yesterday about having to use multiple browsers to effectively use different sites. Dave has said before that GB works better in Chrome than Firefox because he uses Chrome. I also prefer Firefox but stick to Chrome for Google Reader and Giant Bomb.

#24 Posted by Mijati (948 posts) -

This is an issue with the new "protected" mode in Flash that for whatever reason is causing huge issues with Firefox 13.

There are a few fixes for it at the moment, one could be to downgrade Flash to an older version (10.3 I think is the best to goto rather than the second latest version). Or to turn protected mode off. http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1018071 For details on it.