Pog Blog - Introduction to the Star Trek: The Next Generation Launch Edition Stardiscs Collection

Avatar image for deactivated-5a98cbe47ca3b
deactivated-5a98cbe47ca3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

When I saw Jeff and Dan discussing Pogs my heart soared. Finally one of my passions is being reflected by the Giant Bomb staff! Fuck y'all's video gooms and shit.

I've been collecting pogs since I was a youth because they were the coolest thing ever on the planet ever. EVER. Sadly as I grew my collection disappeared, scattered to the wind. It was only in recent years that I somehow contracted the pog fever once more and set off on a wild internet journey to recapture the little cardboard circles of my youth. And since it's the internet I decided to make a stupid blog about 'em.

So here I will share with you the fruits of my madness, starting with a series of pogs featuring the official television show of Giant Bomb - Star Trek: The Next Generation. Enjoy...

Star Trek: The Next Generation Stardiscs Launch Edition - Intro

No Caption Provided

This set of pogs was full of potential excitement for our home. Both myself and my husband are big Next Gen fans and having a big set of pogs celebrating the moments of ST:TNG was too good to pass up. That, and the price was dirt cheap for a full box.

With a full box we were sure we would get at least one complete set and probably even get the fabled “Gold Stardiscs” advertised on the box. When it arrived we began tearing open packs and referencing the checklist. Very quickly we learned that these pogs were incredibly lame.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

These pogs or “Stardiscs” as they are called on-brand come in rather nice foil wrappers. They’re very enticing on the face of the pack, advertising 6 whole pogs per pack, featuring some rather nice looking photos, and a shiny gold-framed starburst advertising “Randomly packed special gold Stardiscs”.

Well guess what? The back of the pack tells the truth. Only 1 in 72 Stardisc packs… Packs… Contains the gold Stardiscs. Of which there are only two. And since the contents of each card are static (each pack contains random cards but the two on each card never mingle with others) that means if you are fortunate enough to get a gold Stardisc that means you get both. But 1 in 72 packs? Holy criminey! Every box only has 36 packs! That means you’d have to buy two full boxes to even have one shot at it, statistically speaking.

Well maybe there will be some fun in the main set, eh? The answer is yes… But not all that much. Unlike alot of the pogs I tend to hunt for, most of this set is laughably bad at best, lazy and boring at worst.

No Caption Provided

So in the coming days I’ll be featuring pogs from this set in the numerical order on the checklist. Sadly this means the first few will be increeeedibly dull… But I’ll try to spice them up with some flavor in each post.

Raise shields and engage warp factor lame.

Prepare to experience Bi’J

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I never did get into pogs; in fact, I actively disliked them. However, for some reason I have enjoyed hearing people talk about their fascination with them on GB. I await your next blog entry with great anticipation.

Perhaps if pogs had been called "stardiscs" and not "pogs", things would have turned out differently....... nah.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whitegreyblack: Thank you so much for your enthusiasm! I was really into pogs as a youth and these days I mostly have strong nostalgia for them. The thing I enjoy the most about them in modern day is looking back at the myriad of strange properties that were worked into pogs. Just when you think you've seen it all you find something else...

Like my Waterworld pogs. Woof.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

I love seeing people's collections, keep it up

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By whitegreyblack

@hunkadunkasaurus: Now, Waterworld Pogs... THAT is something I can get behind. I dearly hope they have ones like "The Mariner's Pee-to-Water Converter".

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Saw pogs in the title hoping that it was actually pogs. Was not disappointed. I really need to catch up with the podca.... I mean, pogcast.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@butano: I'll try to update tonight. Been delayed by physical issues and dumb laptop issues.

Also I can't imagine a pogcast. The would be super dumb.

The Giant Pog Minute.

No. I musn't.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whitegreyblack: Well I guess I know what set I'm going to try and finish next. Some of the Waterworks pogs I have are... Hoo... Something.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By whitegreyblack