Polish President Lech Kaczynski died in a plane crash

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By rallier

President Lech Kaczynski along with 88 members of the polish delegation a total of 95 passengers just died in a plane crash in Smolensk (russia) at  10h50 local (6h50 GMT)  . The plane a Tupolev 54 was heading for the memorial service of the massacre of Katyn.

The number of deaths is not entirely certain right now, i'm finding conflicting sources.

It was very misty on the military airport of Smolensk

The plane tried to land 3 times and crashed the 4th time.

RobbieRageX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By RobbieRageX

Just heard about that on morning news but the taste of my pancakes overshadowed it

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

Besides the president i think their army chief and vice Foreign Minister died. Also Vladimir Putin is to conduct the investigation regarding the whole accident.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Emilio

Its so sad that they were assassinated. :(

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By rallier
@Emilio said:

" Its so sad that they were assassinated. :( "

Eh? You'll need to have a really good source for me to even take that seriously. So far one of the black boxes of the plane has be retrived and according RIA Novosti who say to be told that by the Russian authorities it was the pilot who messed up the landing. 
Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Emilio
@Rallier said:
" @Emilio said:

" Its so sad that they were assassinated. :( "

Eh? You'll need to have a really good source for me to even take that seriously. So far one of the black boxes of the plane has be retrived and according RIA Novosti who say to be told that by the Russian authorities it was the pilot who messed up the landing.  "
Can't you see it, man?? Its plain as day!! First the Russians sell fire arms to the Red Chinese, then the North Koreans invade Tokyo. Next thing you know, them reds are crossing the North Pole and gunning trough Canada to get to our God Blessed Red White and Blue nation. 

This means WAR, pardner!! 

*Paid for by the Committee of Communism Watch* 
DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By DCFGS3

It's not an assassination, but it is sad for the Polish people, losing not just the President but many senior members of Government and I believe the President's whole family.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By ZenaxPure

What bothers me more is why the related videos that pop up at the end are Monty Python videos >_>

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By c1337us

Must have been a fuckin' terrifying end. 3 shots at landing then stuffing up the fourth. RIP

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#10  Edited By Geno

Geez, that's an extremely unfortunate event. Poland must be in a state of utter chaos right now. The irony is of course that they were heading to a memorial service. 

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By TheHT

Pretty messed up.

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By Astras

Really sucks! Sad day!

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By grilledcheez

This is terrible!  Why the fuck is Putin involved in this?

MrFrench85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MrFrench85

How the hell does this still happen in this day and age? Terrifying.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Capum15

Wow.

Man, that sucks. That's what, 89 high-ranking officials? Crazy.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ghostiet
@Capum15 said:

" That's what, 89 high-ranking officials? Crazy. "

Not exactly. 20 high-ranking government officials, including President Kaczyński and his wife; 12 members of the parliament and 2 senators; 12 highest ranked Generals of the Polish Army; the rest being the families of officers that died in Katyń, security and others. 88 people + 8 crew members. One person was not on the plane, she failed to get on the debriefing in time.

Basicly, we are without the head of the country and the Army. No one fucking believes in this here in Poland, it's like a situation from Air Force One going very wrong.

Fuck. I didn't love everyone in that plane, including Kaczyński, but this is damn ridiculous. I think we're a phenomenon in world history with this.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jimbo

They put the 12 highest ranked Generals and the President in the same plane?  And then flew it over Russia?

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FrankCanada97

Sad news indeed, apparently the pilot did not heed warnings from air traffic controllers regarding the heavy fog in the area and ignored advice to divert to another airport. My condolences to the family of the deceased.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By mesoian
@RobbieRageX: As well it should.
SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By SSValis

Rest in peace.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Gizmo

That's messed up, R.I.P

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By yakov456
@Jimbo said:
" They put the 12 highest ranked Generals and the President in the same plane?  And then flew it over Russia? "
Seems like it should be a joke right? So many Polish jokes out there, I'm sure someone can come up with a good one.
yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By yakov456

Wow, after reading the article I can clearly see it's all the pilots fault. This airport was not even set up for an Instrument Landing System which means this dick tried to land this plane VISUALLY in thick, dense fog. He was even warned to divert to another airport. Again I could make a polish joke here about the pilot but I won't.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ghostiet
@yakov456 said:
" Wow, after reading the article I can clearly see it's all the pilots fault. This airport was not even set up for an Instrument Landing System which means this dick tried to land this plane VISUALLY in thick, dense fog. He was even warned to divert to another airport. Again I could make a polish joke here about the pilot but I won't. "

You are probably right. Although the machine should be replaced by something new too - maybe someone would survive that crash in a different plane.
FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FrankCanada97
@Ghostiet: Maybe or maybe not, the plane, as far as I know, was about 20 years old. Most passenger planes are built to last for over 40 years even the Soviet-era ones.
CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By CaptainObvious
@Ghostiet said:

" @yakov456 said:

" Wow, after reading the article I can clearly see it's all the pilots fault. This airport was not even set up for an Instrument Landing System which means this dick tried to land this plane VISUALLY in thick, dense fog. He was even warned to divert to another airport. Again I could make a polish joke here about the pilot but I won't. "

You are probably right. Although the machine should be replaced by something new too - maybe someone would survive that crash in a different plane. "
Well, knowing Kaczyński, he could have forced the pilot to land... 

Also, you seem to know many jokes. Funny guy, eh yakov456? Tell me a couple of british or american ones.
Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Oh man... That sucks.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ghostiet
@FrankCanada97 said:

" @Ghostiet: Maybe or maybe not, the plane, as far as I know, was about 20 years old. Most passenger planes are built to last for over 40 years even the Soviet-era ones. "

Yeah, but it went through several renovations. The discussion about replacing it raged for more than a year. Also, it was a military-type one. I don't know shit about planes, but I feel there wouldn't be any discussion at all a year back if its age wasn't relevant.

@CaptainObvious said:

" Well, knowing Kaczyński, he could have forced the pilot to land... "

According to law, the last word belongs to the crew - their direct superiors can only suggest solutions, never force them. I don't believe the decision was even consulted with him.
Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Clinkz

Jeez this is a sad day.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Mmmslash
@Jimbo:  This is absolutely valid. 

Even children know that you should never put all of your eggs in one basket.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By natetodamax
@Jimbo said:
" They put the 12 highest ranked Generals and the President in the same plane?  And then flew it over Russia? "
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

This is why I have a fear of flying.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By meteora

What the hell was the pilot thinking?

Also, what the hell where they thinking of putting so many damn people in one plane? >_<

This is pretty shocking, least to say.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#36  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

That is very unfortunate. It's made even more so by the whole reason they were visiting Russia for, and by the history of the two countries. Hopefully this doesn't rattle Poland too much in terms of their upcoming elections.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Th3_James

Why couldn't have it been Stephan Harper, I don't like that douche bag 

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#38  Edited By flaminghobo

My thoughts and prayers go to the families who lost loved ones during this tragic event.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Ghostiet
@Meteora said:
" What the hell was the pilot thinking?  Also, what the hell where they thinking of putting so many damn people in one plane? >_<  This is pretty shocking, least to say. "

We have some dumb law, that only special VIPs (the President, Prime Minister and the Marshals of the Sejm and Senate - as both are the first and second succesor of the President in case of his death or other "disability" to perform his task, respectively) are forbidden from flying together. The rest are normal VIPs.

It's stupid like fucking hell, because if the full six of the six most important commanders of the Armed Forces aren't special VIPs, then no one is.

Ironically, after a recent plane crash where the more important Army pilots were killed, they forbidded them from flying together. Of course, nobody thought of extending the new law to the most important people in the state.