• 78 results
#1 Posted by m16mojo2 (309 posts) -

One sided political campaign ads on Gamespot? Seriously?

I was slowly warming back up to that site, ever since Jeff "left." (Actually the whole crew, including Gallup.) Allowing this crap has completely turned me off again.

Good job Gamespot...

#2 Posted by TooWalrus (13218 posts) -

Where and what the hell are you talking about?

#3 Posted by TooWalrus (13218 posts) -

Or is this some clever joke about the Assassin's Creed III ads. Here's a spoiler: America wins.

#4 Posted by m16mojo2 (309 posts) -

It was right after I watched Escape From Mt. Stupid. Maybe I can re-create it.

#5 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@TooWalrus said:
Or is this some clever joke about the Assassin's Creed III ads. Here's a spoiler: America wins.
And all because of a guy named Connor. 
Or Shittingbull, or whatever his Native name was
#6 Posted by m16mojo2 (309 posts) -
#7 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

AdBlock, don't care.

In before I'm called a child murderer who steals money from the Gods of the Internet.

#8 Posted by HatKing (5976 posts) -

Political ads are all over the place right now. From commercial breaks and bus stops to the internet. I'm not sure I see the issue.

#9 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@Sooty said:

AdBlock, don't care.

In before I'm called a child murderer who steals money from the Gods of the Internet.

You child murdering money stealing scumbag!  
People like you will never be "In"!  

Edit: On Topic: why aren't you complaining to, you know, the guys over at GameSpot instead?
#10 Posted by coakroach (2491 posts) -

Sweet sweet political ad money.

A necessary evil.

#11 Edited by mosespippy (4206 posts) -

If you're watching CBS and see a political ad are you never going to watch CBS again? If not then why do you give a shit about a political ad on Gamespot? Fucking anybody can pay for that ad space. It's not like gamespot cares either way who is paying for it as long as someone is paying. It doesn't influence their content either way.

#12 Posted by m16mojo2 (309 posts) -

Who watches CBS?

#13 Posted by NegativeCero (3005 posts) -

You're overreacting, use adblock and move on. Look on the bright side, just 2 weeks away until you don't have to see those.

#14 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1490 posts) -

I'd imagine if that was a Romney ad, more people here would freak the fuck out.

#15 Posted by 42manZ (105 posts) -

@m16mojo2: Does it bother you that the Giant Bomb guys have voiced their political opinions in videos and on the podcasts?

#16 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -
@mosespippy

If you're watching CBS and see a political ad are you never going to watch CBS again? If not then why do you give a shit about a political ad on Gamespot? Fucking anybody can pay for that ad space. It's not like gamespot cares either way who is paying for it as long as someone is paying. It doesn't influence their content either way.

It's really sad that this needed explaining. What are GameSpot going to say? "Sorry, Mr. President. We can't accept your money. Mitt has to want ad space too. Even if the vast majority of our users are either too young to vote or are voting for you anyway." As long as they're getting paid, of course they don't give a shit who's buying.
#17 Posted by m16mojo2 (309 posts) -

@NegativeCero said:

You're overreacting, use adblock and move on. Look on the bright side, just 2 weeks away until you don't have to see those.

Yeah, probably. I see it enough on FB, I don't need it where I get my gaming news, too.

#18 Posted by ShaggE (6472 posts) -

I'm looking at a Romney ad right here on Giant Bomb. Thankfully, I've developed the ability to move my eyes slightly to the left, eliminating the issue entirely.

#19 Posted by m16mojo2 (309 posts) -

@No0b0rAmA said:

I'd imagine if that was a Romney ad, more people here would freak the fuck out.

Right?

#20 Posted by TooWalrus (13218 posts) -
@m16mojo2: People who don't have the Pirate Bay bookmarked right under their URL bar... I'm pretty sure the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson is the best thing on television.
#21 Posted by zeekthegeek (391 posts) -

You can't sell the same adspace to two people. Get over it. If Romney wanted ads on Gamespot he could probably buy them.

#22 Posted by TyCobb (1972 posts) -

@Sooty said:

AdBlock, don't care.

People also don't realize that website ads are pay per click, not pay per view. I want to know who the fuck actually clicks ads on a website.

#23 Posted by m16mojo2 (309 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

@m16mojo2: People who don't have the Pirate Bay bookmarked right under their URL bar... I'm pretty sure the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson is the best thing on television.

LoL, I'm sure the irony of recognizing that icon isn't lost on you. ;)

#24 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I mean, it's really awesome to see video game sites getting ad money from stuff other than video games because that's the only way this business is truly going to survive.

On the other hand, it's kind of weird for the company to endorse a candidate in a roundabout way through ads. Eh, I guess it's not that weird. I changed my mind. Carry on.

#25 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -
 Anyone can buy ad space. In other news...
#26 Posted by ThePickle (4184 posts) -

'Bama's been dumping tons into internet ads. I don't think GameSpot is taking a side or anything. You could refresh that page and easily see a page for dick pills (or Dick Pills, my new CBS sitcom). Just like on GB, CBSi's ad department decides all that stuff, and they're not going to turn down a dumptruck full of money from the Commander in Chief.

#27 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

@Breadfan said:

Anyone can buy ad space. In other news...

Now I really want this as a 1920x1080 wallpaper.

#28 Posted by m16mojo2 (309 posts) -

@42manZ said:

@m16mojo2: Does it bother you that the Giant Bomb guys have voiced their political opinions in videos and on the podcasts?

Not in the slightest, and if they do, it's not "in your face" Except for Brad Miur, fuck Brad... LoL, j/k! :P

#29 Posted by thomasnash (557 posts) -

@DoctorWelch said:

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I mean, it's really awesome to see video game sites getting ad money from stuff other than video games because that's the only way this business is truly going to survive.

Just interested as to why you think this is the case? Are you saying that the videogames industry is a local economy or what? (I hope I'm not being confrontational. I think it's pretty obvious that I'm not sure I agree with you, but I don't want it to seem personal or anything).

#30 Posted by luchadeer797 (294 posts) -

@42manZ: When have they done so? I'm honestly just curious, it'd be interesting to see how they lean.

#31 Posted by 42manZ (105 posts) -

@luchadeer797: I can't remember specific bombcasts, though I do believe it has come up (and been squashed, since they don't want to alienate people who may feel differently).

I think one of the recent "I Love Mondays" it comes up. And in the quick look for the recent Political game, The Political Machine 2012.

Based on this, unless if I have misunderstood these comments, they seem to lean to the left.

#32 Posted by Abendlaender (2812 posts) -

Do you understand how advertisment works? Or do you have proof that GameSpot refused to host an add for Romney? If not, your rage is pretty uncalled for.

#33 Posted by Mirado (993 posts) -

@m16mojo2 said:

I was slowly warming back up to that site, ever since Jeff "left." (Actually the whole crew, including Gallup.) Allowing this crap has completely turned me off again.

Good job Gamespot...

There are two sided political campaign ads?

"Vote for Obama! If not, Romney is not bad either!"

#34 Posted by ajamafalous (12007 posts) -
@42manZ said:

@luchadeer797: I can't remember specific bombcasts, though I do believe it has come up (and been squashed, since they don't want to alienate people who may feel differently).

I think one of the recent "I Love Mondays" it comes up. And in the quick look for the recent Political game, The Political Machine 2012.

Based on this, unless if I have misunderstood these comments, they seem to lean to the left.

If you follow them on twitter they come off as leaning left, yeah.
#35 Edited by Lukeweizer (2692 posts) -

Let's complain about a website on a completely different website.

#36 Posted by Animasta (14698 posts) -

@ajamafalous: yeah sure patrick "leans" to the left lol

#37 Posted by DonutFever (3551 posts) -

IGN is owned by FOX so it evens out.

#38 Posted by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

@m16mojo2 said:

Good job Gamespot...

Call the republican national committee and ask them to run ads on gamespot? I would be suprised if CBSi had an axe to grind in this beyond enjoying the extra revenue of the election year.

Not really a shock though, demographic wise gamespot probably skews younger - and statistically there is some basis for why a Obama would appear there....

#39 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

Just ignore it.

What pisses me off is the sheer amount of money getting thrown at these godawful political ads. That money could be used for worthwhile things, like stimulating the economy or paying off the deficit. Instead, we've turned the election process into a goddamn popularity contest with hundreds of millions of dollars spent on marketing.

Idiocracy, here we come!

#40 Posted by Dalai (7034 posts) -

It should be gone in 2 weeks. Suck it up or get that AdBlock thing the kids seem to like.

#41 Posted by m16mojo2 (309 posts) -

@murisan said:

Just ignore it.

What pisses me off is the sheer amount of money getting thrown at these godawful political ads. That money could be used for worthwhile things, like stimulating the economy or paying off the deficit. Instead, we've turned the election process into a goddamn popularity contest with hundreds of millions of dollars spent on marketing.

Idiocracy, here we come!

I think we speak the same language,

#42 Posted by m16mojo2 (309 posts) -

@Mirado said:

@m16mojo2 said:

Good job Gamespot...

There are two sided political campaign ads?

"Vote for Obama! If not, Romney is not bad either!"

Hahahah, I actually did "lol" at this. Nice!

#43 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

Who cares? Both major party candidates are assholes.

#44 Posted by m16mojo2 (309 posts) -

Also, thank you Giantbomb for your stalker tracker. I now have 10+ profile views. Doesn't creep me out in the slightest.

#45 Posted by ajamafalous (12007 posts) -
@Animasta said:

@ajamafalous: yeah sure patrick "leans" to the left lol

Yeah lol, I think he's just younger so he cares more. Not disenfranchised yet like all those other jaded old men ;)
#46 Posted by FiestaUnicorn (1577 posts) -

The Obama campaign bought ad space. Who cares? Romney's campaign can do the same thing and have.

#47 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -
@FiestaUnicorn

The Obama campaign bought ad space. Who cares? Romney's campaign can do the same thing and have.

For instance, every other ad on Pandora. Fuck.
#48 Posted by Geralt (323 posts) -

You guys are so sensitive sometimes...

#49 Posted by CountRockula (398 posts) -

I find the political banner ads less distressing than the video ads for the NASL.

#50 Posted by coribald (312 posts) -

If you could get in on some of that sweet, sweet superPAC money, you know you would.