Poll: Apples vs Oranges. Why Oranges are obviously better.

• 162 results
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By crusader8463
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By crusader8463

Why oranges are better then apples.  

When given the choice I will always pick oranges over apples. While yes, oranges do give me heart burn, they are a far superior fruit then apples for me personally.      

Whenever I eat apples I always end up cutting my gums on the peal as I bite into it, and I hate being stuck with the apple core when I'm done eating the rest of the apple. It just feels wrong to have something left over when I'm done eating something. It's like, why eat something when the core of it is something any sane person would never want to eat and are always stuck with and want to throw it out? You know what other product is like that? Toilet paper. Apples are the toilet paper of the fruit world, and why would you want to eat something that's like toilet paper?       

At least with orange peels it's like being left with the wrapper your food comes in. Like a cheese burger. So I guess that makes oranges the cheese burgers of the fruit world, and everyone loves cheese burgers.       

So far I have been pretty one sided in this debate and I would like to point out that while superior, oranges are not perfect ether. Some oranges are more acidic then others and can cause rather painful heart burn if ingested too regularly; at least with myself. As well, it can be rather frustrating some times to peel an orange and to be stuck with that white bitter gunk that sits in between the peel and the delicious insides that you are trying to get to. It can make a mess while trying to clean off the insides of an orange, but the same could be said about apples once you complete the full circle and are stuck with nothing to hold onto but the sticky insides.      

And it is for that reason I feel that this negates the one negative of oranges, since apples suffer from the same problem as well, simply in a different form.   

So Giant Bomb, I have submitted the above facts in my argument for oranges over apples. I now DARE you to prove me wrong. Given such a solid, well written and thought provoking argument how could anyone defend apples over oranges? It's just not possible! It's iron clad!             
time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By time allen

apples

think of the subtle red-on-green colouring. the tasteful roundness of it. my god, they even have cores.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By IBurningStar

I personally prefer apples over oranges due to the fact that eating an orange is much more involved process. I can just pick up an apple and eat it, oranges I have to peal. And the pealing is messy and gets juice and other gunk everywhere.  Apples and oranges both leave me with something to throw away, but one is less of a hassle from beginning to end.

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By sameeeeam

I'm allergic to oranges so I personally prefer apples.

Kodo_Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Kodo_Beast

Apple pie, 'nuf said.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Xeiphyer

Sour green apples = The best.

Oranges are covered in that annoying white stuff that I always want to pick off completely before consuming, which is impossible, so its frustrating.

Fuck oranges, I'm team Apples.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By crusader8463

FOOLS! THE LOT OF YOU!

Philski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Philski

This is actually a topic I have thought about extensively in my efforts to divide all fruits into tiers.  The tricky thing about it is that there are many important components to consider beyond the enjoyment of the raw fruit itself.  So far, I and my fruit tier aficionados have come up with the topics of juice potential, overall utility value, nutrition,and taste of the raw fruit.  Now, the point of  conflict that we are still trying to iron out here is that different people put different amounts of weight on these categories, and I feel that we really must strive for some sort of consistent standard.  Personally, I feel that utility value of fruit is probably of supreme importance, and I would say that I definitely put more weight on this category than the others.  It is very important to consider all of these categories, but especially this one, in order to determine the overall usefulness of a fruit.  For instance, let us take the humble lemon.  A lemon by itself is not so delicious, as I don't know too many people who enjoy biting into a delicious lemon.  However, the utility value of lemon is astronomical.  It is one of if not the single most important fruit as far as savory cooking, a staple flavor for sorbets, useful for mixed drinks, and a not-so-secret ingredient in many popular baked goods (in addition to being a key ingredient in a handful of popular baked goods itself).  So you see, I would actually maintain that lemons are a very high tier fruit based primarily on their extensive usefulness.  Plus you can make lemonade with them, which is awesome.  

Anyway, this takes me to the argument between oranges and apples.  It is tricky because both of these fruits rank rather high across the board.  Both have high juice potential, although I would probably give the edge to oranges here.  Both also have high utility value, but I think the edge here should go to apples because they are like the king of fruits as far as baking (although personally I have a preference for cherry in this regard).  That being said, oranges do have some utility value in things like sauces, so it's a very tricky call to make.  I think that for me, apples would win by a very narrow margin because I find their baking value really important and am not a huge fan of orange juice (which is arguably orange's most significant advantage).  However, I would also maintain they are both unquestionably high tier fruits and could easily see how it would narrowly go the other way.

I hope this has been useful to all of the fruit enthusiasts out there. 

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By ESREVER

I always prefer having an Orange over an Apple. Apples are more convenient, for sure. But Oranges... man, once you get past that layer/skin protecting the juicy insides... Sweet sweet delicacy waits inside. Then I get to eat nearly everything inside. I don't have to eat around a core. 

Also, Apples get saugy and they lose their flavor/texture way too fast. I've had plenty of bad apples, but never a bad orange. 

I want an Orange...

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Otacon

Oranges are SO much better! I like apple juice, but it's just the texture of apples that puts me off. mmm oranges...

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#12  Edited By natetodamax

I find both to be disgusting, but I absolutely loath the smell of oranges.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By McGhee
@Kodo_Beast said:
" Apple pie, 'nuf said. "
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By crusader8463
@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
" @Kodo_Beast said:
"
Orange cake. 'nuf said.
McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By McGhee
@crusader8463 said:
" @McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
" @Kodo_Beast said:
"
Orange cake. 'nuf said. "
I have had those little orange hostess cupcakes, which are pretty good. Maybe an orange cake is like that, but the apple pie is legendary. It's a symbol of America: "As American as mom and apple pie."
dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By dichemstys

Definitely apples. Not so much red apples but green apples. 

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MeierTheRed

A nice sweet tasting orange is the shit. But apples are also nice when they have that kind of sweetness to them, and they are just quicker to start eating. So apples win.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#18  Edited By armaan8014

None. Fuck fruits

Tally_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Tally_Pants
@dudeglove said:
" If you wanna go on a diet, you need to cut down on both because they're full of a sugar. "
the natural sugars you get from fruits is actually quite good for you....
zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By zityz

Apples. 

Why? Because they have antioxidants, that produce a high amount of electrodes, or electrolytes that help replenish dehydration.  

Basically, in other words. When you've been drinking and you need to rehydrate yourself. It's better to eat an apple or drink apple juice to replenish that dehydration so you don't feel as bad in the morning from lack of dehydration. 

Oranges have citric acid that can counter-act with your stomach acid a day after drinking. So makes ya feel shitty . So one makes you feel better from drinking the other not so much to worse. 

Apples win.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By toowalrus

You'll find no argument here, although if we're gonna get specific- Blood Oranges are the best fruit out there.

Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Sogeman

Eating Oranges is a pain in the ass.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

I like Apples more than Oranges. If it was Apples vs. Clementines though, it would be a different answer.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#25  Edited By BeachThunder

...Astro...is that you? :(

zidane_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By zidane_24

Apples. Peeling any fruit that's not a banana is a waste of time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Fuck apple and oranges.  Grapples and Tangelos are the shit.

waitwhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By waitwhat

oranges are best known for what? their vitamin c content, of course. but they also happen to be great sources of fiber as well as folic acid. an orange a day may keep the doctor away.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By asurastrike

The correct answer is strawberries are the best fruit, but between apples and oranges, applies win because you don't have to peel them.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#30  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Orange are better. They don't have an evil corporation named after them like apples do. 

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By teh_destroyer

Clementine's are obviously the best fruit.  

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By tebbit
@Philski: That is a great first post. Welcome aboard, captain! 

Also, Oranges are a colour AND a fruit. You're eating a colour. 

@teh_destroyer said:
" Clementine's are obviously the best fruit.   "
Don't ever fuck with me - or clementines - again.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By penguindust

Oranges win, you want to know why?  Ask a pirate!

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#34  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Banana Mouth.

That is all.
onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By onarum

Apples are obviously superior because you don't need to peel them in order to eat, and I am a lazy man.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By ajamafalous

I don't like citrus.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#37  Edited By spankingaddict

I like any kinds of fruit, but I prefer grapefruit...

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By prestonhedges

but you don't play a role when you eat an apple!!

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#39  Edited By Meowayne

Proud of posting in the thread that started the third world war.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By melcene
@crusader8463 said:

"

Why oranges are better then apples.  

When given the choice I will always pick oranges over apples. While yes, oranges do give me heart burn, they are a far superior fruit then apples for me personally.      

Whenever I eat apples I always end up cutting my gums on the peal as I bite into it, and I hate being stuck with the apple core when I'm done eating the rest of the apple. It just feels wrong to have something left over when I'm done eating something. It's like, why eat something when the core of it is something any sane person would never want to eat and are always stuck with and want to throw it out? You know what other product is like that? Toilet paper. Apples are the toilet paper of the fruit world, and why would you want to eat something that's like toilet paper?       

At least with orange peels it's like being left with the wrapper your food comes in. Like a cheese burger. So I guess that makes oranges the cheese burgers of the fruit world, and everyone loves cheese burgers.       

So far I have been pretty one sided in this debate and I would like to point out that while superior, oranges are not perfect ether. Some oranges are more acidic then others and can cause rather painful heart burn if ingested too regularly; at least with myself. As well, it can be rather frustrating some times to peel an orange and to be stuck with that white bitter gunk that sits in between the peel and the delicious insides that you are trying to get to. It can make a mess while trying to clean off the insides of an orange, but the same could be said about apples once you complete the full circle and are stuck with nothing to hold onto but the sticky insides.      

And it is for that reason I feel that this negates the one negative of oranges, since apples suffer from the same problem as well, simply in a different form.   

So Giant Bomb, I have submitted the above facts in my argument for oranges over apples. I now DARE you to prove me wrong. Given such a solid, well written and thought provoking argument how could anyone defend apples over oranges? It's just not possible! It's iron clad!              "
 So in fact, the only non-negated negative of oranges is the possible heartbearn and the only non-negated negative of apples is that you cut your gums on the peel (who the hell does that?), but both negatives cancel each other out.  Therefore I have proven you wrong, and apples and oranges are in fact, equal.
Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Marcsman
@armaan8014 said:
"None. Fuck fruits "

Seconded. Fuck fruit
Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Greens apples taste best.

Ley_Lines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Ley_Lines

orange you glad I didn't say apple

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By crusader8463
@Marcsman said:
" @armaan8014 said:
"None. Fuck fruits "
Seconded. Fuck fruit "

On it boss.
 On it boss.
@melcene: I forgot to add that apples get bad fast too. If you have ever eaten an apple then stopped half way through to go do something, by the time you come back it's gone all brown and yucky; even if it was just for a few moments. You don't have that problem with oranges.  

As well, orange is also not just an awesome fruit, but an awesome colour! Can't say that about a silly apple.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By crusader8463
@Rey_Leone said:
" orange you glad I didn't say apple "
Vinny would be proud. 
thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#46  Edited By thatfrood

Are tangerines and clementines included in the orange category? If so... then oranges clearly win out in the fruit cups category.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By mfpantst

this thread is all apples and oranges to me.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Animasta

I like orange flavor better, but Apple is clearly the better fruit.

gahathat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By gahathat

Citrus fruits are christmas presents of sweet goodness you get to unwrap everyday.

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#50  Edited By nukesniper

Apples are best because apple juice and apple sauce. End argument.