POLL: Is it weird to use the word "Female"?

• 83 results
Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Legion_

Poll POLL: Is it weird to use the word "Female"? (277 votes)

Yes. 32%
No. 66%

What up duders.

As some of you might have noticed, I'm currently in a discussion regarding the word "female". Some random duder used it when commenting on the video for the second part of the PAX panel. I quote:

First female I've seen to ask a question on one of these and IMO she had the best one, good job ma'am!

I obviously think that's PURDY WEIRD. It just feels so detatched. Like we're watching a documentary on Animal Planet. Imagine you're at the hospital, and your baby comes to the world, the nurse comes over and says:

It's a beautiful baby female!

In both those istances, the right word to use would be girl (or woman for the first one). Female is something that's normal to use when talking science and stuff.

So, let's settle this. In that context, was it weird to use "female"?

• 
Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All uses of the word "female" on the Giant Bomb forums shall here on out be replaced with "guuurl."

Example: "Guurl, you're question is fiiiiiine!""

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

Yes, it was kinda weird. Not terribly incorrect but socially... I don't want to say "unacceptable" but I can't think of a word for "looked down upon".

I can't really judge if it's offensive or not in that context, but it was certainly horrible word choice.

zoozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By zoozilla

I think the problem is that there's no good female counterpart for "guy." "Gal" seems slightly patronizing, and "lady" just feels weird for some reason (or maybe it's just me). So the only options are "woman" or "female." In this case, I guess "woman" would work, but it still feels strangely formal - I mean, I wouldn't say, "That man asked a nice question."

Of course, if we can solidify "dudette" as the informal, generic term for a woman, then all our problems are solved.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Legion_

Yes, it was kinda weird. Not terribly incorrect but socially... I don't want to say "unacceptable" but I can't think of a word for "looked down upon".

I can't really judge if it's offensive or not in that context, but it was certainly horrible word choice.

It's not that it's offensive or anything, I just think it shows a lack of social skills. If it could be used in that context, it could be used to describe your girlfriend as your femalefriend.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zoozilla said:

I think the problem is that there's no good female counterpart for "guy." "Gal" seems slightly patronizing, and "lady" just feels weird for some reason (or maybe it's just me). So the only options are "woman" or "female." In this case, I guess "woman" would work, but it still feels strangely formal - I mean, I wouldn't say, "That man asked a nice question."

Of course, if we can solidify "dudette" as the informal, generic term for a woman, then all our problems are solved.

Or just... Girl?

Nivash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Nivash

It's not just weird, it's actually wrong. "Female" is typically never used as a noun when referring to humans, only as an adjective. The correct word in your first example is obviously "woman" and in the second "girl". The correct use of "female" is contexts like "female gamer" or similar. And yes, I've noticed this too.

While on the topic: I've seen a lot of people on this very forum being incapable of using "woman" and "women" correctly. Learn the difference people;the first is singular, the second plural.

Strangely, I almost never encounter similar problems when using "male" or "man/men". It's an oddly selective error.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Tennmuerti

Depends entirely on the context and how it's being used in a sentence.

@nivash said it better.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

It all depends on context.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@legion_ said:

@zoozilla said:

Or just... Girl?

But that only implies someone still in their youth. Which might be taken as a compliment by someone in their 30's or 40's ("oh! He thought I looked like I was 20!") but another might be offended because they're not young and dumb and naive.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By jay_ray

@legion_ said:

@zoozilla said:

Or just... Girl?

Girl is the counter to boy, to me there is an age difference between boy and guy that woman don't have if you use the term girl as an encompassing term not matter the age. I agree with zoozila, there is not a good informal woman version of "guy"

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Legion_

@nivash said:

It's not just weird, it's actually wrong. "Female" is typically never used as a noun when referring to humans, only as an adjective. The correct word in your first example is obviously "woman" and in the second "girl". The correct use of "female" is contexts like "female gamer" or similar. And yes, I've noticed this too.

While on the topic: I've seen a lot of people on this very forum being incapable of using "woman" and "women" correctly. Learn the difference people;the first is singular, the second plural.

Strangely, I almost never encounter similar problems when using "male" or "man/men". It's an oddly selective error.

Well said.

No Caption Provided
Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Ravenlight

I just call everybody "lady" regardless of gender.

Sharpless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Sharpless

It's entirely contextual. I have no idea how to explain the appropriate contexts, though. I would think it would be a common sense thing, something where you just know what's appropriate, but apparently it's not. A lot of the problem with "female" is how detached and impersonal it can be, the sort of thing someone with misogynistic tendencies might say. "Woman" or "girl" is just more natural and somewhat more personal. Just flip the gender and ask yourself if you'd say "male" instead of "man" or "boy." (I sometimes also have a problem with men using "girl" instead of "woman," but I'll holster that one for now.)

Just noticed @nivash's post and, yeah, they said it best.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sorry, this is about whether it's normal to use the word female when clearly that guy used the word "ma'am" in the same fucking sentence?! Ma'am?! MA'AM?!

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Well at least he didn't call her a broad or a chick. So hey...theres that.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Example: "Guurl, you're question is fiiiiiine!""

Man, this sounds like something Borat would say. "Girl, you are question. Is fiiiine."

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's entirely contextual. I have no idea how to explain the appropriate contexts, though. I would think it would be a common sense thing, something where you just know what's appropriate, but apparently it's not. A lot of the problem with "female" is how detached and impersonal it can be, the sort of thing someone with misogynistic tendencies might say. "Woman" or "girl" is just more natural and somewhat more personal. Just flip the gender and ask yourself if you'd say "male" instead of "man" or "boy." (I sometimes also have a problem with men using "girl" instead of "woman," but I'll holster that one for now.)

And this is probably why the dude used the word "female," there is no pronoun that you can use to refer to the notmale gender which won't cause you to be labelled a misogynist on the internet.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By TheHT

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Darji

@rebgav said:

@sharpless said:

And this is probably why the dude used the word "female," there is no pronoun that you can use to refer to the notmale gender which won't cause you to be labelled a misogynist on the internet.

Especially right now. Somehow it does not matter at the moment because if you are white and a male you always lose in such conversations right now.,...

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zoozilla said:

That sounds like a world I want to live in, I too will carry the dudette torch.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Using words and terms in the correct context is never weird.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By pr1mus

Context is key. Use the right word for the right context.

mikethekilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mikethekilla

Depends on the context.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By ajamafalous

That skirt asked a good question.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

It does sound a little weird when spoken.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@nivash: It's wrong because it's rarely used as a noun? It can still be used as a noun and I see people use it like that all the time. Because it's rarely used like that doesn't make it wrong. That doesn't make any sense.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Legion_

Well, this just goes to show that 66% of Giant Bomb users are weird. Seriously, using the word female is major creepy. It shows a lack of social skills.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos said:

That skirt asked a good question.

Be a little respectful she's not a skirt she's a piece of ass.

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FunkasaurasRex

@ravenlight said:

I just call everybody "lady" regardless of gender.

This guy knows what's up.

rotorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By rotorious

It's a very military thing to refer to a woman as a "female".

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@legion_ said:

Well, this just goes to show that 66% of Giant Bomb users are weird. Seriously, using the word female is major creepy. It shows a lack of social skills.

• Make a poll to "decide" if using the word female is weird or not.
  • Results don't suit agenda.
  • Claim everyone who disagrees is "major creepy".

Does that about sum it up?

neurotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By neurotic

@legion_ said:

Way to jump to conclusions. Bravo. Do you use the same word to describe something every single time? Ever heard of synonyms? Who says that the guy you picked out in the OP, or anyone who answered 'No', only ever refers to women as 'females'? Sure, woman/girl/lady might have sounded more natural in the context of that comment but accusing people of being creeps because they might occasionally use a word, or just don't give a crap if other people do, is going too far.

Slay3r1583

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Slay3r1583

I think we should bring dame back into use.

Nivash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@legion_: Actually, I think that's mostly because it's worded badly (sorry OP). I actually answered "No" by accident because of the thread title - the thread title makes it sound like the question is if you can ever use "female" in any context. Hence the number of oneliner posts pointing out that it depends on context.

Lazy by me? Sure. But that's kind of the way people answer polls.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Winternet

Everything is weird.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

well it's easier to say than receptionist.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Barrock

She was the first (and only) female to ask a question.

I don't see how that's weird.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hahaha this topic is just an endless maze.

If you say she's the only female to ask a question, feminists would call you mysogynyst because if only one dude asked a question you wouldn't say "he's the only male to ask a question," you'd say guy. At least I would.

If you go with 'girl,' some consider it disrespectful and some get offended if they consider themselves "not young" (happened with me personally). If you go with woman, well, females like to feel young so saying woman makes her feel she's 40. If you use any slang word it's degrading, and 'lady' belongs in the 19th century.

I really think what makes this whole issue fucked up is the double life women lead today. They want equality and respect, but they also want tenderness and compliments. Don't fucking tell me I'm generalizing, I've met over a thousand females aged 18 to 30 just in the last two years and a half, I know what I'm talking about.

bennyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By bennyboy

It was fine in the first instance you cited, and maybe a little weird in the second instance. But not because the word female itself is weird or anything, but because it just sounded weird in the context of that sentence. If you replaced "female" with "male" in those two instances it would still come off weird in the same exact way.

You might as well have asked "is it weird to use awkward diction?"

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Canteu

Yes. You don't use male, and frankly it's quite demeaning to use a word that doesn't mean Human Female, but instead can be used interchangeably between plants and non Human animals. It's like purposely using the wrong pronoun or some shit.

edit: I'm talking nouns here. Adjective is obviously fine.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lady, or chick would be better.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted no, but I was only thinking of "female" as an adjective and not a noun. Used as a noun is weird, I would say, but some say that it's also weird used as an adjective and I don't think so.

trebert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By trebert

I've always wondered why people insist on using woman rather than female when talking of firsts, and other such stuff in the news. It's always been jarring to me since were it a male, I'd say the first male x, or the male x in the same case. Regardless of what people think, I've always handled this by asking if I'd say male in the same case, and that use of female was alright in my book. That is until such a time that there is a female-gendered impersonal pronoun that isn't seen as inherently inappropriate.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Canteu

@trebert: In your example, the correct use is Female, as you are using it as an adjective. If there was no noun following it, then it would be Woman or Man.

The first woman on the scene.

The first female officer on the scene.

You can't use an adjective on its own as a noun, thus adjective nouns.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's just a gender identifier, the same as she, her, woman, lady, girl, duderette, etc.

trebert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By trebert

@canteu: You're certainly right. What I was getting with that was more along the lines of saying "woman congressman," or "woman doctor." I think the usage of female, as in the "first female i've seen" is fine because the alternatives are poor. This is because I'd take improper grammarDiction over perceived misogyny. The problem rests in tying the usage of woman together with the usage of man. This results in the use of "woman" sounding worse to the ear in these cases, because I would say first "guy", or "dude", but not "man". You'd use man or woman to distinguish a level of maturity, and using it all the time is just weird in my opinion. Guy doesn't have a female analogue, so that's off the table. Dudette isn't a word, and isn't something you'd ever hear really. Chick, ma'am, and the others like them wouldn't work for obvious reasons. I'd rather use an analogue, that wouldn't make me look like an ass if I knew of one.

bennyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By bennyboy

Wait....let me get this straight. Are there actually people in this thread saying that female isn't a noun?

trebert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By trebert

@bennyboy: You might want to work on your reading comprehension.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bennyboy: It is a noun, but more often used as an adjective. Also the fact there are alternative nouns which can be used more accurately in more situations, it's generally a poor choice for a noun.