POLL - Legalization of marijuana? Opinions?

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Drebin_893

Should be legal.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

I think it should be legal myself, but what do my fellow Giantbombers think about it?
bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By bed

legal. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

The knock on effects that would topple gang crime justify the raised number of insomniacs, Schizophrenics and addicts, so it should be legal.

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Brunchies

Legal it should be.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Emilio

Eh... that depends. If its legal, that means you'll get it at the store and will probably have to start paying some kinda special tax on it. 

While if its legal to own AND grow, then that's another thing. 

But still, it all depends on how responsible people can be with it. If they make it available to 18+ or 21+ folks, then I dunno. 

It all really depends.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ryanwho

I'd still roll it myself even if it were legal to avoid all that taxes. The world doesn't change either way.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By oldschool

Legal.  It is a health issue, not a law one.   

It should not be sold for profit though, that should stay illegal,but if you want to grow a plant for your own purposes, it is no business of the government. 

I never ever use it and never will and I think it is entirely stupid to use it, but you can't legislate against stupidity and it is none of my business.  Plus, it is far less dangerous to society than tobacco and alcohol, and they are legal and massive profit earners.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By crusader8463

legal. I would smoke some from time to time then too. It is sad it isn't legal yet.

Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Famov

You will see lots of yes answers due to the positive correlation of young people and marijuana usage, as well as gamers and marijuana usage. 

I, however, am not a stoner and I believe it should be decriminalized. For one, the anti marijuana laws are largely unenforceable (and expensive to attempt to enforce) and as a general rule I believe people should be the master of their own destiny, even if that destiny includes being an apathetic stoner. 

And what do the laws accomplish? Occasionally the record of an otherwise decent kid is smeared with a pointless drug arrest and it's seen as 'cool' because it is illegal and thus challenging the stuffy establishment.
cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By cinemandrew

It should be legal to free up some space in our overcrowded prisons. It's absurd that the majority of inmates in this country are in jail for drug-related charges. Drug abuse should be a health care issue, not a legal issue. I do not do drugs, nor do I approve of excessive use of them. Marijuana, however, is perfectly reasonable within moderation, same as alcohol. Hell, we should tax the shit out of it, and use that money towards socialized health care, which could in turn pay for addict rehabilitation.

mdock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mdock

Legalize it - don't criticize it
Legalize it and i will advertise it  

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By Black_Rose

I'm not sure how I feel about this. In one hand there's the part of me that says everyone should do whatever theu want with their lives, on the other there's the amount of crazy shit people can do with marihuana. Just look at how many car accidents and other shit happens when people are drunk, I don't even want to think what'll happen when they drive or do other things under the influence. 

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By Video_Game_King

Legalize it, so all the stoners will finally shut up about how we should legalize marijuana!

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#16  Edited By Atlas
@oldschool:

That's true, but it is the business of the government to ensure the health of its citizens. You can legislate against something that is harmful to your wellbeing, both in of itself and because it is often seen as a gateway to stronger more potentially harmful drugs. 

I am undecided on the marijuana issue. It does make sense to legalise it to eliminate the crime element, but criminals are criminals, they will always find something devious to flog to those who need it. I think people are too quick to diminish the affects that marijuana can have on your life. Also, I don't think it's right to say "well, cigarettes and booze are legal, so why isn't marijuana?". Alcohol and tobacco is legal thanks to a long standing tradition and established social expectation. I'm sure there are governments that would like to make them illegal again; people talk about the benefits of smokers putting money into the economy, but think of what it costs the health service to treat these people and get the tar out of their lungs. My point is, marijuana is one of the few vices that has remained established as something illegal, and in principle, that should remain the case. 

To be honest, I'm probably a little biased here. I hate drugs, and I hate alcohol and cigarettes, and so if I ruled the world all three would be illegal. But those are my two cents anyway.
BrockSampson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BrockSampson

Absolutely legal. It is not right to live in a "free country" where the government can tell you what you can or can not put into your own body.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Akeldama

it should not be legalized. It should be decriminalized. 

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By eroticfishcake

Legalise but have control over it.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By Karmum
@BrockSampson said:

" Absolutely legal. It is not right to live in a "free country" where the government can tell you what you can or can not put into your own body. "

Even if the substances you put in your body are dangerous and can affect others? (I don't consider marijuana dangerous, just a generalization)

Personally, I think it should be legal. I don't, and still wouldn't do marijuana if it was legal, but let everyone else have their fun.
borgmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#21  Edited By borgmaster

the tax and the hit to crime is more than enough reason to justify legalization.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#22  Edited By wrecks

The core reason for it's continuing illegal status is the Pharmaceutical lobby in Washington. Anyone could grow some devil's salad in their backyard, but no one can grow Paxil, Zoloft, Prozac, etc... As long as the current lobbying practices continue, it shall never be legal on a federal level... Oh and yes, it should be.

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Black_Raven

I think it solves more problems then it causes, so make it legal I say.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hitchenson
@oldschool said:

" Legal.  It is a health issue, not a law one.    It should not be sold for profit though, that should stay illegal,but if you want to grow a plant for your own purposes, it is no business of the government.  I never ever use it and never will and I think it is entirely stupid to use it, but you can't legislate against stupidity and it is none of my business.  Plus, it is far less dangerous to society than tobacco and alcohol, and they are legal and massive profit earners. "

I completely agree with this. Well... all bar the not using it and finding it stupid part. Although to be honest I couldn't give a toss if it's made legal or stays illegal, I'd like for it to go legal just so people shut up with this same damn question.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#26  Edited By natetodamax

I'd rather not smell that shit everywhere I go.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Elazul

As weed is SIGNIFICANTLY less dangerous than both Alchohol and Tobacco, I really don't see why it shouldn't at least be de-criminalized.

Ham08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ham08

I think it should be legal since it is less dangerous than alcohol and that's legal.  Besides, people that are just smoking MJ aren't out committing crimes, they are at home watching cartoons and pigging out on snacks.  To me, as long as people aren't hurting others or infringing on others rights, they should be able to do whatever they want at home.  If people want to become stupid by smoking MJ, let them.  They let people drink themselves into a week long stupor, so why not?  it is a basic human right, that they have stolen from from the people.

Also, the government could easily get out of debt by passing laws that require you to have a license to grow your own and make it very difficult to obtain that license.  That way they can tax the hell out of it like they do the cigarettes and alcohol.  I am sure there are millions of people that would be quite happy to pay $50 for a pack of 20 pre-rolled and the government could get the heck out of debt!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#29  Edited By mike
@Ham08: Yeah, because what we need is more government and higher taxes.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#30  Edited By oldschool
@Hitchenson said:
" @oldschool said:

" Legal.  It is a health issue, not a law one.    It should not be sold for profit though, that should stay illegal,but if you want to grow a plant for your own purposes, it is no business of the government.  I never ever use it and never will and I think it is entirely stupid to use it, but you can't legislate against stupidity and it is none of my business.  Plus, it is far less dangerous to society than tobacco and alcohol, and they are legal and massive profit earners. "

I completely agree with this. Well... all bar the not using it and finding it stupid part. "
It is the hypocrisy of the argument against it that bothers me.   

If it affects driving, ban alcohol as well.  If it causes violence (?), ban alcohol as well.  If it kills people (?), ban tobacco and alcohol.  Just stop quoting these things about marijuana and ignoring those about tobacco and alcohol. 

Plus, although I don't do conspiracy, it is foolish to believe that the tobacco and alcohol lobby (very powerful and very cashed up) aren't against it because of the competition it will create and erode their profits - unless of course they can manufacture and market it themselves.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By natetodamax
@eroticfishcake said:
" Legalise but have control over it. "
Impossible
Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38
@Black_Rose said:
" I'm not sure how I feel about this. In one hand there's the part of me that says everyone should do whatever theu want with their lives, on the other there's the amount of crazy shit people can do with marihuana. Just look at how many car accidents and other shit happens when people are drunk, I don't even want to think what'll happen when they drive or do other things under the influence.  "
To be fair, the effects of driving while high are less pronounced than while drunk. Sure, it's not smart to drive cross country while hitting a bong, but it's not really the same as drinking. 

Legalize it, decriminalize it, do whatever. Just don't do nothing.
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By wefwefasdf

Considering everything else that is legal... it should be. I personally wouldn't smoke it but if someone wants to smoke some safely than I honestly don't care.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By artofwar420

I don't know. I'm still unsure.
Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Emilio

BUT, I have to add that it would be nice to get marijuana for people who are battling cancer or for other medical research.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By natetodamax
@SpikeSpiegel said:
" Considering everything else that is legal... it should be. I personally wouldn't smoke it but if someone wants to smoke some safely than I honestly don't care. "
I wasn't aware you could smoke marijuana safely.
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#37  Edited By breadfan

Why not? 

People already have fairly easy access to it as it is and police will be able to deal with bigger problems.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By wefwefasdf
@natetodamax said:
" @SpikeSpiegel said:
" Considering everything else that is legal... it should be. I personally wouldn't smoke it but if someone wants to smoke some safely than I honestly don't care. "
I wasn't aware you could smoke marijuana safely. "
When I say safely, I mean, not driving afterwords or anything that could cause harm to others.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By natetodamax
@SpikeSpiegel said:
" @natetodamax said:
" @SpikeSpiegel said:
When I say safely, I mean, not driving afterwords or anything that could cause harm to others. "
So destroying brain cells is smoking safely?
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JoelTGM

make it legal, but apply the same laws and restrictions for drinking alcohol to marijuana smoking, but not as stern because alcohol is worse.

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Icil
@wrecks said:
" The core reason for it's continuing illegal status is the Pharmaceutical lobby in Washington. Anyone could grow some devil's salad in their backyard, but no one can grow Paxil, Zoloft, Prozac, etc... As long as the current lobbying practices continue, it shall never be legal on a federal level... Oh and yes, it should be. "
Interesting insight, thanks. I vote for 'legal'. Treat it as medicine. Sell it over the counter with many warnings.
imjustbettr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#42  Edited By imjustbettr

legalize it

Ham08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Ham08
@MB said:
" @Ham08: Yeah, because what we need is more government and higher taxes. "
Well, I would prefer that the government just decriminalize it and stay out of our business, but we all know that won't happen.  If they ever do decriminalize it, you know damn well they will tax it just like they do cigarettes and alcohol.  From a governing standpoint, it seems foolish to continue the way it is now, the jails are overcrowded with a great number of the inmates only guilty of smoking a harmless scud-missile every now and then.  It costs the government a great deal of money to feed, house, and guard these harmless inmates.  Decriminalize and let those prisoners out of jail saves tons of money and taxing the now legal MJ brings in an enormous revenue for a government on the brink of ruin after the Wall-street robbery.
Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Icil
@natetodamax said:
" @SpikeSpiegel said:
" @natetodamax said:
" @SpikeSpiegel said:
When I say safely, I mean, not driving afterwords or anything that could cause harm to others. "
So destroying brain cells is smoking safely? "
It doesn't cause brain cell death, that's alcohol. 'Safely' also means 'not smoking' in my opinion. Lung cancer is a big killer, so a liquid/pill form would be best for society.
Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38
@natetodamax said:
" @SpikeSpiegel said:
" @natetodamax said:
" @SpikeSpiegel said:
I'm not sure you understand what you're talking about. I think you might have marijuana mixed up with alcohol.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By natetodamax
@Dr_Feelgood38 said:
" @natetodamax said:
" @SpikeSpiegel said:
" @natetodamax said:
" @SpikeSpiegel said:
I'm not sure you understand what you're talking about. I think you might have marijuana mixed up with alcohol. "
That's entirely possible.
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By eroticfishcake
@natetodamax said:
" @eroticfishcake said:
Impossible "
Although it's legal in Amsterdam they still have control over it to some extent. Sure, people are breaking them but the police do a good job of enforcing it. It's either that or just legalise it for medical use.
Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Out_On_Bail

For many reasons, yes I think it should be legal. I still think employers should have the right to drug screen though.  I just don't think it's right to put someone in jail for using marijuana. They are more likely to come out more dangerous then they were when they went in. A lot of jails are already overcrowded, let's not add to that growing problem by putting nonviolent pot heads into the system. 

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By natetodamax
@eroticfishcake said:
" @natetodamax said:
" @eroticfishcake said:
Impossible "
Although it's legal in Amsterdam they still have control over it to some extent. Sure, people are breaking them but the police do a good job of enforcing it. It's either that or just legalise it for medical use. "
Marijuana is the number one illegal drug used in the US. If it was legalized, millions of people everywhere would begin growing it in their backyard. It would be impossible to control.
Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Elazul
@natetodamax:  By that logic Alcohol, Tobacco, Solvents, Aerosols and hell, ANYTHING that causes air pollution should also be illegal.