#1 Posted by Pr1mus (3951 posts) -

#2 Posted by Pr1mus (3951 posts) -

North America for me. Canada represent.

This also brings me to another question. What continent model did you learn in school?

The one i learned isn't even listed on the Wikipedia page. I learned a 5 continent model that includes Africa, America (as a whole), Asia, Europe and Oceania (never referred to as Australia). I also learned Eurasia because they could never figure out if they should put Russia in Asia, Europe or both. I guess they also considered Antarctica some No Man's Land that isn't worth worrying about.

#3 Posted by Animasta (14713 posts) -

Well there really are only 3 continents technically (afro-eurasia, america and oceania)

#4 Edited by Pr1mus (3951 posts) -

@Animasta: Isn't Africa technically completely separated from Eurasia by water?

Also it doesn't get any more vague than being an Afro-Eurasian. :D

#5 Posted by pyromagnestir (4327 posts) -
#6 Posted by Animasta (14713 posts) -

@Pr1mus said:

@Animasta: Isn't Africa technically completely separated from Eurasia by water?

Also it doesn't get any more vague than being an Afro-Eurasian. :D

that's only because people made it so (just like north and south america are only technically seperated by the panama canal)

#7 Posted by spankingaddict (2707 posts) -
#8 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

Most of Europe is asleep. Check back later.

#9 Posted by coaxmetal (1641 posts) -

@Animasta said:

Well there really are only 3 continents technically (afro-eurasia, america and oceania)

even if you want to be like that, which is silly because continents are a thing to provide a geographic descriptor, not a technical classification, you forgot Antarctica.

#10 Posted by Turambar (6812 posts) -
@Animasta said:

Continents are not only defined on strict geographical grounds. 
#11 Posted by Animasta (14713 posts) -

@Turambar said:

@Animasta said:

it's really just opinion based honestly

#12 Posted by Redbullet685 (6054 posts) -

'Murica!

#13 Posted by Turambar (6812 posts) -
@Animasta said:

@Turambar said:

@Animasta said:

Considering its defined by social conventions, sure.  But social conventions that gives us a common descriptor are a lot more useful than technical but esoteric definitions.
#14 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

I learned the continents as North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa, Antarctica, and Australia. The same as the first image on that Wikipedia page.

I live in North America.

#15 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5736 posts) -

I voted for Antarctica, because that place is awesome.

#16 Edited by mandude (2669 posts) -

@Animasta said:

True, but for the sake of not being vague, shut the fuck up. :3

#17 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2259 posts) -

Australia, land of PAL.

#18 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5736 posts) -

@Animasta: No they're just Pangaea.

@Pr1mus: I take offense to the phrase "learned in school." To me continent = big fucking piece of land, and there are several big fucking pieces of land. I guess most people don't question what they're taught with any great frequency, but I've always felt that any true inspiration, insight, or thought development occurred through personal investigations; education is simply a guiding system along that route (and not a very successful one apart from creating drones I suppose).

#19 Posted by Patman99 (1611 posts) -

Team North America!!!

#20 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

There's only the one continent up here, so I live on that one.

#21 Posted by coaxmetal (1641 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Turambar said:

@Animasta said:

the word continent specifically refers to one of generally 7 landmasses. Nothing about it specifies that they need to be unique contiguous landmasses of a certain size. So don't be like that because its dumb.

#22 Edited by Turambar (6812 posts) -
@Fredchuckdave said:

@Animasta: No they're just Pangaea.

@Pr1mus: I take offense to the phrase "learned in school." To me continent = big fucking piece of land, and there are several big fucking pieces of land. I guess most people don't question what they're taught with any great frequency, but I've always felt that any true inspiration, insight, or thought development occurred through personal investigations; education is simply a guiding system along that route (and not a very successful one apart from creating drones I suppose).

On the other hand, I'd also be a failure as a teacher if my students leave the classroom incapable of communicating with the common social lexicon, or at least understanding its reasons for existence in various forms.  Also 7th grade geography is probably not the most useful place to start taking the "you're all drones" stance.
#23 Posted by L44 (566 posts) -

The best one.

#24 Posted by TheManiacsGnome (273 posts) -

But to be more specific, Canada.

#25 Posted by TooWalrus (13237 posts) -

Why did I see Antarctica and click it without thinking. Truly I am a child.

#26 Posted by bartok (2544 posts) -

Trapped in a research base in Antartica. Don't know who I can trust or who is a freaky alien. Am I an alien? Are you? Take the test Wilford Brimley! Keith David and Kurt Russell passed how about you?

#27 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
 Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses, yearning to breath free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore, Send these, the homeless, tempest tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door.
#28 Posted by _Chad (962 posts) -

North America, America's America.

#29 Posted by Giantstalker (1690 posts) -

Indar, usually.

#30 Posted by GTCknight (702 posts) -

North America, due in part to the fact that I live in the United States.

Would love to move off-world though. It would be a great learning experience.

#31 Posted by evilb0y (18 posts) -

I'm from Asia

#32 Posted by Pr1mus (3951 posts) -

I didn't know there was such a large and thriving duder community in Antarctica.

#33 Posted by Hector (3365 posts) -

North America!!!

#34 Posted by habster3 (3600 posts) -

@spankingaddict said:

Goddammit, I was hoping I could get this in first...

But yeah, I'm from North America

#35 Posted by amir90 (2169 posts) -

Europe, Norway.

#36 Posted by haffy (673 posts) -

@Riboflavin said:

@Animasta said:

@Turambar said:

@Animasta said:

the word continent specifically refers to one of generally 7 landmasses. Nothing about it specifies that they need to be unique contiguous landmasses of a certain size. So don't be like that because its dumb.

It pretty much is opinion based. Nothing really defines them in any meaningful way. My dad was taught there was 5 continents, I was taught 6, others 7. How many continents there are is basically, how many you've been taught there are.

Also this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uBcq1x7P34

#37 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

I hail from the wonderful giant continent of Great Britain. We own the world right? So that means we're a continent!

You should all probably hail me, or some such nonsense.

#38 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1663 posts) -

I picked Antarctica because it's there

#39 Posted by Sterling (2466 posts) -

No one from South America huh. Conspiracy?

#40 Posted by Gamer_152 (14091 posts) -
#41 Posted by NegativeCero (3014 posts) -

North America.

#42 Posted by HarlechQuinn (450 posts) -

Old Europe...

#43 Posted by FiestaUnicorn (1576 posts) -

I believe people from Texas will be upset that you didn't include the continent of Texas.

#44 Posted by BillyTheKid (486 posts) -

USA, and why did you put central America as part of North America? Hasn't it always been that way? Do people really not know that?

#45 Posted by NTM (7485 posts) -
#46 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

north america reporting in

#47 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5040 posts) -

Central Europe.

#48 Posted by Brendan (7845 posts) -

I think this thread should be recorded for proof of the uselessness of polls.

#49 Posted by Senno (74 posts) -

G'day!

#50 Posted by Hunter5024 (5820 posts) -

Am I the only one who was taught that the number of continents has to do with tectonic plates?