• 65 results
#1 Posted by JJWeatherman (14571 posts) -

**Originally posted on Tested, but I thought I'd attempt to gather any Giant Bomb opinions as well. Because knowledge is power. Or something.**

So, I like to write. I do it quite a bit. I currently have a Samsung Series 5 Chromebook that I like a whole lot. It even has a 3G radio built-in, which I'm delighted to almost never use. It's great.

Anyway, I've been thinking about upgrading. First I considered the new model Samsung Chromebook that runs an ARM processor. It would be even lighter, and produce even less noise and heat, which would both be nice. Otherwise it would be the same great ecosystem that I've grown to love. Then there's the fact that it's only $250. But it's sold out everywhere--has been for a while--and there's no indication of when it'll be back in stock.

Then I thought about perhaps getting a machine that's a bit more... serious? Sure, that's a fine word. For $1,000 I could step up to the big leagues and own a machine that would seemingly be perfect for my needs: A Macbook Air. The biggest advantage would be a nicer writing environment, because as cool as Google Docs is, it's just not ideal, especially for lengthy pieces of writing.

So I come to ask a question: What do I need to know in order to not throw my money away? Is there a good time of year to buy a MacBook Air? Perhaps a reliable window where they're commonly refreshed? Can I get away with buying an older model on the cheap? Are they basically the same? Are the extra two inches significant between the two current models? Any information that would make me more confident in my purchase would be much appreciated. Maybe even just reinforce how awesome the one you own is, haha. Or conversely maybe you think yours is terrible, in which case maybe I'll go with another Chromebook. Oh, and if you own one, how is the battery life?

What are your thoughts, Tested Giant Bomb community?

#2 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -

SAMSUNG: NOOOOOOO

MACBOOK: YAAAAY

Intel fanboy here :D

#3 Posted by JJWeatherman (14571 posts) -

@emkeighcameron said:

SAMSUNG: NOOOOOOO

MACBOOK: YAAAAY

Intel fanboy here :D

Well thanks for that. Much appreciated. Haha.

I will have you know that my Series 5 runs an Atom, so there's that.

#4 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Yay for MacBook, better OS.

#5 Posted by Athadam (705 posts) -

Yes yes, Macbook Air for sure. But I'm not sure when they are releasing the new model...

#6 Edited by kermoosh (911 posts) -

if it's just writing than your fine

otherwise there are tons of things that are PC only. and even if something is updated to Mac it usually takes a while longer (such as programs and video games)

plus macs are very proprietary and they usually require you to buy an adapter to connect it to a tv or projector, oh and macs are pretty damn expensive

after criticizing macs i do own a macbook pro and it is my only type of computer. While I do love it I would consider it as a second computer as I later plan on getting a PC cus it's more open than macs

and getting sidetracked my macbook pro is very light, and the air is even lighter and smaller, making it perfect to use on your lap or when lying down. So I would put it as a very expensive writing machine, but a damn good one nonetheless.

oh and for macbook pro, the 2 inch difference also comes with a better processor and junk making it more expensive, i'm assuming its the same with the air

#7 Posted by DystopiaX (5361 posts) -

I have a friend who has a new Acer ultrabook w/windows 8 and a touchscreen, I played around with it and that shit was mad cool. Haven't spent enough time with it to give a recommendation but I'd definitely consider an Ultrabook before committing to the Air, do your research and all that.

#8 Posted by Legion_ (1556 posts) -

If I were you, I'd go with a 13" MacBook Pro. Tweak the specs a littl bit, and you get a very capable laptop. Perfect size, doesn't make a sound, and the prize is just about right.

#9 Posted by JJWeatherman (14571 posts) -

@kermoosh said:

if it's just writing than your fine

otherwise there are tons of things that are PC only. and even if something is updated to Mac it usually takes a while longer (such as programs and video games)

plus macs are very proprietary and they usually require you to buy an adapter to connect it to a tv or projector, oh and macs are pretty damn expensive

after criticizing macs i do own a macbook pro and it is my only type of computer. While I do love it I would consider it as a second computer as I later plan on getting a PC cus it's more open than macs

and getting sidetracked my macbook pro is very light, and the air is even lighter and smaller, making it perfect to use on your lap or when lying down. So I would put it as a very expensive writing machine, but a damn good one nonetheless.

oh and for macbook pro, the 2 inch difference also comes with a better processor and junk making it more expensive, i'm assuming its the same with the air

I should note that I do have a PC for games and whatever else, so that's not a concern. I just need something that I can write with, and perhaps do some other cool Mac-exclusive things with as well, like sit in coffee shops.

Thanks for the input.

@DystopiaX said:

I have a friend who has a new Acer ultrabook w/windows 8 and a touchscreen, I played around with it and that shit was mad cool. Haven't spent enough time with it to give a recommendation but I'd definitely consider an Ultrabook before committing to the Air, do your research and all that.

I haven't even considered a Windows machine, but perhaps it wouldn't be a bad option. I'll look into it.

#10 Posted by JJWeatherman (14571 posts) -

@Legion_ said:

If I were you, I'd go with a 13" MacBook Pro. Tweak the specs a littl bit, and you get a very capable laptop. Perfect size, doesn't make a sound, and the prize is just about right.

That would be an okay option, but I'm not really looking for "capable." You know, at least not to that extent. I'm talking about upgrading from an Atom-based machine here, and even this machine is still relatively fine at doing what I need it to. My priorities are more: lighter, slicker, more portable. Which is why I think the Air would be perfect.

#11 Posted by Jams (2966 posts) -

If it's just for writing, I couldn't imagine paying $1000 for something that you could do for just $250. Then again, I'm not known for making good tech buying decisions. I have an iMac sitting next to my regular computer to remind me of that every day. It's neat I guess, but it's nothing special.

#12 Posted by HistoryInRust (6407 posts) -

@JJWeatherman: I'm in a similar situation. Looked at the MacBook Air a couple months ago but couldn't justify buying one over the Pro. The Air seems to fit a very narrow, very specific window of necessity. The Pro seems to me like a device that has some broader functionality, and can actually be useful in professional circumstances with varying forms of media transfer.

Not an objective opinion, or really even a conclusive, black-or-white affirmation. Just something to be mindful of.

#13 Posted by JJWeatherman (14571 posts) -

@Jams said:

If it's just for writing, I couldn't imagine paying $1000 for something that you could do for just $250. Then again, I'm not known for making good tech buying decisions. I have an iMac sitting next to my regular computer to remind me of that every day. It's neat I guess, but it's nothing special.

That's a good point, but one that I've considered. Since we're on Giant Bomb, I'll use a Gerstmannalogy:

He bought a Lexus. His reasoning was that he's in a car every single day, so why not be in a car he enjoys? I literally write every day, so the mentality is the same.

I guess that's all there is to it. I could wait for the ARM Chromebook to come back into stock (who knows when that'll happen), but when my metaphorical Lexus is staring me in the face, it's hard not to take it.

@HistoryInRust said:

@JJWeatherman: I'm in a similar situation. Looked at the MacBook Air a couple months ago but couldn't justify buying one over the Pro. The Air seems to fit a very narrow, very specific window of necessity. The Pro seems to me like a device that has some broader functionality, and can actually be useful in professional circumstances with varying forms of media transfer.

Not an objective opinion, or really even a conclusive, black-or-white affirmation. Just something to be mindful of.

I appreciate the perspective.

But here's what I'm thinking: If anything, writing would be my professional circumstance. And being lighter, more portable? Seems all the better for that. I don't know, I'll definitely think about it some more, of course. Not exactly antsy to spend so much without doing research.

#14 Posted by LiquidPrince (16181 posts) -

@JJWeatherman: I have the latest Macbook Air and it's a good piece of tech. Super light with a really good battery. I would get the 13inch as opposed to the 11inch simply because the battery is bigger and lasts longer on the 13inch. Otherwise it's pretty much a toss up. Also try and get the latest version if you care about things like USB 3.0 and the like.

#15 Posted by Labman (288 posts) -

If Macs ran games as well as a PC, I would say "FUCK YOU" to Windows and never touch that shit again! So, yeah...MacBook Air all the way.

#16 Edited by JJWeatherman (14571 posts) -

@LiquidPrince said:

@JJWeatherman: I have the latest Macbook Air and it's a good piece of tech. Super light with a really good battery. I would get the 13inch as opposed to the 11inch simply because the battery is bigger and lasts longer on the 13inch. Otherwise it's pretty much a toss up. Also try and get the latest version if you care about things like USB 3.0 and the like.

Ah, thank you! I hadn't even considered the larger battery possibility. That makes a difference.

Probably a stupid question, but, does Apple ever have sales? Haha. I guess they probably don't need to, right? These things are quite expensive.

@Labman said:

If Macs ran games as well as a PC, I would say "FUCK YOU" to Windows and never touch that shit again! So, yeah...MacBook Air all the way.

Haha. Noted.

#17 Posted by LiquidPrince (16181 posts) -

@JJWeatherman: They almost never have sales directly on their site or in the Apple stores. Sometimes Best Buy has like their own internal promotions where they'll give you $50 off or a case or something, but even that rarely happens.

#18 Posted by Legion_ (1556 posts) -

@JJWeatherman: I see. Well, you can't go wrong with a Mac anyway. As for battery life, I can't speak for the Air, but my 13" Pro does between 6 and 8 hours while writing. I would assume that battery life on a Air is even greater. And 13" is a perfect size. Anyway, welcome to the club!

#19 Posted by JJWeatherman (14571 posts) -

@LiquidPrince said:

@JJWeatherman: They almost never have sales directly on their site or in the Apple stores. Sometimes Best Buy has like their own internal promotions where they'll give you $50 off or a case or something, but even that rarely happens.

Yeah, I figured as much. I've never really looking into buying a Mac before, but I've also never noticed them discounted unless it's an older model. Damn you, Apple.

#20 Posted by JJWeatherman (14571 posts) -

@Legion_ said:

@JJWeatherman: I see. Well, you can't go wrong with a Mac anyway. As for battery life, I can't speak for the Air, but my 13" Pro does between 6 and 8 hours while writing. I would assume that battery life on a Air is even greater. And 13" is a perfect size. Anyway, welcome to the club!

That seems very respectable. I get about the same with my Chromebook. Good to know.

I'm not quite in the club yet, but thanks, haha.

#21 Posted by Angouri (233 posts) -

Their refurbished macbooks tend to have a nice discount and have the warranty. Applecare is pretty nice.

I just can't type on a mac keyboard... too many years of Thinkpads have me spoiled. That X1 carbon keeps staring at me on Lenovo's website, telling me to put my T420 aside.

Anyways, Apple's main sale is black friday, so I'm afraid you missed it.

#22 Posted by Little_Socrates (5715 posts) -

Yeah, I'm totally with this decision.

(as I desperately covet the 15-inch $2199 MacBook Pro w/Retina)

#23 Posted by HistoryInRust (6407 posts) -

@JJWeatherman said:

I appreciate the perspective.

But here's what I'm thinking: If anything, writing would be my professional circumstance. And being lighter, more portable? Seems all the better for that. I don't know, I'll definitely think about it some more, of course. Not exactly antsy to spend so much without doing research.

As someone who does write professionally, my personal insight was, "Why pay $1000+ for the Air when, for the same price, I can get the Pro--a machine whose additional power is noticeable and whose capabilities are more immediately varied." I do more with my laptops than write alone. The weight difference is apparent, but not especially impressive and doesn't influence the machine's overall, what, "portability" that much. The lack of a CD/DVD drive was a big issue, because a slew of professional applications come packaged on disc even still.

I've always been the type who sticks close to the "Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it" ideology. Perhaps I'm not speaking for you there. I understand the impulse toward the Air. It's a sleek little typhoon of a laptop. But we're talking a lot of cheese here. If the only reason you have for wanting it--at that price point--is the size and weight, then, well, I've heard of crazier things. But, man.

#24 Posted by HistoryInRust (6407 posts) -

@Angouri said:

I just can't type on a mac keyboard... too many years of Thinkpads have me spoiled. That X1 carbon keeps staring at me on Lenovo's website, telling me to put my T420 aside.

I'm in love with their desktop keyboards. Bought one for my home PC, even though it's a Windows machine.

#25 Posted by mlarrabee (3064 posts) -

I used PCs exclusively until October of 2011. Then I bought a MacBook Pro with Lion and used it exclusively, "upgrading" to Mountain Lion not long after it was released. Drowning full-body into a new OS was a surprising experience; it threw away most of my misconceptions and prejudices about both operating systems.

When Windows 8 was released I installed it over my Windows 7 BootCamp installation, and now I boot into OS X for Logic 9 Pro and iA Writer alone. It only furthers Windows 8's case that it runs all of my Steam and GOG games.

Pages is utter trash for writing, no better than Word.

I do like iA Writer, a Mac exclusive. It doesn't seem like much at first glance, but the Nitti Light font it licenses is nothing short of exquisite. There is plenty of proper novel-writing software on both platforms, but OS X definitely has more minimalist writing apps.

Apple hardware is generally quite nice; I would have to ignore the three times I had to take it in to have the touchpad adjusted and the fourth time I did it myself (and did it right) to say it's excellent. I've no experience with Chromebooks.

There are three OS X exclusives that I find most useful as a writer:

Firstly, a built-in, system-wide spell check and dictionary. Right-click any misspelled word and I'm presented with a list of alternatives. Three-finger double-tap any word and I'm shown the definition, including the first few sentences from the Wikipedia page.

Secondly, iA Writer. When I first bought it I didn't think I would ever say this, but Nitti Light trailing behind the soft, blue cursor blinking on my screen's horizon is something to behold.

Thirdly, Quicksilver. Apple's Spotlight cowers when Quicksilver walks by. Until you use it you have no idea how fast you could be doing. Doing what? Everything. You will never touch your mouse again. Sometimes I boot into OS X just to do things I don't need to, incredibly fast.

The Dock is useless. Exposé is decent. Launchpad is inconsequential. It doesn't support side-by-side apps. It boots more slowly than its Windows 8 sister, but faster than Windows 7. App installation is perfect. Uninstallation can be made perfect with free software. Open source apps that use X11 look dreadful. The animations don't impress after a week. Automator can automate nearly anything. Keyboard shortcuts can be assigned to nearly everything. Passionate Apple fans are incredibly annoying, and quite often pedantic, pretentious, and... passionate. I ran out of accurate and derogatory adjectives beginning with "P."

Don't buy a MacBook for the aluminum unibody. Don't buy it for OS X. Don't be fooled by messing about with its impressive tricks for a day.

Reading back over this, between my hearty praise and my casual dismissal I imagine I left you properly confused as to which I think you should buy.

#26 Posted by JJWeatherman (14571 posts) -

@Angouri said:

Their refurbished macbooks tend to have a nice discount and have the warranty. Applecare is pretty nice.

Anyways, Apple's main sale is black friday, so I'm afraid you missed it.

Good call on the refurbished ones. They have last year's model for ~$700, which is fairly tempting.

@HistoryInRust: I'm seeing the Pros starting at $200 more, but maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing. You have some good points. But on the CD drive front, I haven't had one of those in years, haha. Maybe I'm just weird. But my Chromebook? No drive. My Gaming PC? No drive. The only thing I own that still has a disc drive is my Xbox 360. It's the future, man... No, I'm just weird.

@mlarrabee: Wow, thanks for the detailed--and at times humorous--input. :)

See, it's things like iA Writer that make buying a Mac above anything else so appealing. And the two and three finger tap features? They sound super useful. I'm still confused as to what exactly Quicksilver does, but it seems neat. These things seem worth the price premium over, say, another Chromebook.

#27 Edited by HistoryInRust (6407 posts) -

@JJWeatherman: The barest-of-bones 11" Air runs a minimum of $1000. Any additional features or size specifications and you're in Pro territory.

It's the future, man

Tell that to the companies who'll hire you as a professional writer and want you to install their proprietary software.

EDIT: Then again, you could opt for an external drive with the Air if you ever needed it. It sounds like you won't. But if you did, that's an alternative if you're bound-and-determined with the flyweight.

#28 Posted by JJWeatherman (14571 posts) -

@HistoryInRust said:

@JJWeatherman: The barest-of-bones 11" Air runs a minimum of $1000. Any additional features or size specifications and you're in Pro territory.

It's the future, man

Tell that to the companies who'll hire you as a professional writer and want you to install their proprietary software.

EDIT: Then again, you could opt for an external drive with the Air if you ever needed it. It sounds like you won't. But if you did, that's an alternative if you're bound-and-determined with the flyweight.

Proprietary software sounds super lame. But, I mean, if we're being realistic here, I'll likely be ready to buy a new computer by the time I get anywhere close to writing professionally. So I don't know.

And yeah, there is an add-on external drive for $70 if I absolutely need it. And any other USB drive would probably work as well.

Considerations! :)

#29 Posted by Humanity (10116 posts) -

I don't want to start a war! - Really don't! But, can someone explain to me why a MacBook is a more ideal writing environment than a windows based machine? I am a graphic artist and I work in photoshop all day, on a PC, and similarly I've never understood why "serious" graphic artists all work on Macs.

#30 Posted by JJWeatherman (14571 posts) -

@Humanity said:

I don't want to start a war! - Really don't! But, can someone explain to me why a MacBook is a more ideal writing environment than a windows based machine? I am a graphic artist and I work in photoshop all day, on a PC, and similarly I've never understood why "serious" graphic artists all work on Macs.

I can't be the one to answer that, but for writing, I find the keyboard and general form factor of Macs to be ideal. Then there's the applications like iA Writer that just make it so pleasant. I assume there are similar upsides to design work on a Mac. You should ask Dave.

#31 Posted by Humanity (10116 posts) -

@JJWeatherman: Thanks, I can understand those reasons of course. Whatever makes you feel more comfortable is best I think.

#32 Edited by JoeBigfoot (114 posts) -

@JJWeatherman: As a long time apple user the first thing I recommend is ignoring the retina display rubbish in the MacBook Air. Its completely unnecessary on a 13" screen and the cost is so high. Aside from that I heartily recommend apple products. Also gaming is becoming increasingly easier, even without dual booting (*** cough *** My blog on Wineskin *** cough ***).

I'd also recommend going for the Chromebook, but that probably because I'm starting a job with ARM in January.

edit: I just wrote my whole PhD thesis on Lyx. Highly recommended.

#33 Posted by SharkEthic (1064 posts) -

That's a pretty expensive typewriter if you ask me, but yeah, I'm in the same boat as - don't see why everything is supposedly so much better on Mac. I'm in software development and frequently use Mac, Linux distributions (Fedora, Ubuntu, Mint etc.) as well as Windows, and other than the hardware (which, granted, is beautiful) I have no idea why people would spend that kind of money on those machines. Then again, I'm not in love with the OS and hate XCode with a passion, so I might not be as impartial as I'd like to think, but writing/coding on my new PC (running Fedora) is awesome...and yeah, it's almost half the price and beats the shit out of a Macbook Air spec wise.

#34 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

I just can't support how expensive the bottom tier mac books are compared to windows based laptops.

#35 Edited by Fattony12000 (7568 posts) -

The Air is a much more capable machine, overall. Whether or not you will need that extra power and better screen will be down to what you want to do with it. Since you are primarily concerned with writing down words, then maybe that extra sexiness will go to waste? However, being able to use a real computer, with real software is a major advantage. The 13" models have a better battery life.

Buy a model from last year if you want to save some money, even that will outperform any Chromebook.

#36 Posted by HistoryInRust (6407 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

I just can't support how expensive the bottom tier mac books are compared to windows based laptops.

Yeah. It's insane. For the price you can ostensibly put together a tornadic muscle car of a Windows machine. Plus they're a little harder to continually upgrade.

#37 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

@Hizang said:

Opinion. This coming from someone on a MacBook Pro running WIndows 7 in Bootcamp as their primary OS.

#38 Edited by Empirepaintball (1397 posts) -

If you're gonna use it for mostly writing and the internet, the Air is a decent buy, but if you want anything more powerful, it's definitely not your best option. I usually get around six hours of battery life out of my 15" MacBook Pro.

#39 Posted by zombie2011 (5049 posts) -

@JJWeatherman said:

@DystopiaX said:

I haven't even considered a Windows machine, but perhaps it wouldn't be a bad option. I'll look into it.

I have a Lenovo Ideapad Yoga 13, and love it. it's a great machine you should look into, Tested just put out a long ass review of it, it's a ultrabook that has a touchscreen that can be folded all the way down to act like a tablet. I also have a Macbook pro, but i use my Yoga 13 more it's just so cool and the touchscreen does make getting things done a lot faster.

#40 Posted by JJWeatherman (14571 posts) -

@zombie2011: I actually watched that video! It looks like a neat machine, but perhaps a bit too gimmicky for me. Not to say it doesn't seem useful, but I just don't need a machine like that.

I've remembered another reason I'd want an Air over a Pro, and that's the SSD. I've become accustomed to lightning quick wakes and boots, and that's a pretty big deal to me. While I can upgrade the Pro's HDD to an SSD, it would be an additional $200, which is a bit of a deal breaker.

@Fattony12000: Thanks for the videos. I somehow missed their 2012 one, so that was helpful.

Thanks to everyone else who's commented. I appreciate the perspectives.

As of now I'm leaning towards the 2012 model 13", as it's only $1,099 at Best Buy. We'll see if I change my mind. Still considering other options.

#41 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

I recommend the MacBook Pro personally. It's a little more expensive, but it's also more capable. I'm dual booting OS X and Windows 8 on mine and I can play a lot of my Steam games at high quality on my MacBook which is pretty nice. And it's sexy as hell. :)

#42 Posted by HistoryInRust (6407 posts) -

@JJWeatherman: Eh. It seems like you already know what you want and are looking for general reaffirmation.

#43 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@Hizang said:

As a daily user of Windows 8 and OS X Mountain Lion such a clear cut statement is incredibly dumb to me.

There are many reasons to not use Windows, and many to not use OS X. It's a case of preference, not one being vastly superior to the other.

Hardware wise, however, MacBooks are above and beyond the competition, because they combine excellent trackpads, keyboards, battery life (well, not the 11" Air) and screens, something most PC laptops fail to combine leading to awful trackpads being common. I hate 'PC' laptops for this reason, too many of them are awful.

I'd argue that OS X is only truly an amazing OS on laptops, the multi-touch implementation combined with virtual desktops is fantastic and unmatched. I kinda prefer Windows on desktop (if it's a powerful one) as I'd rather have the option of gaming, which OS X is still vastly inferior for, yeah I know you can Boot Camp but that's not the point, paying $2000 for an iMac only equivalent to a $600 PC in specs to then throw Boot Camp on it just seems like nonsense to me. If gaming is a concern, you should pay less for a high spec PC instead of dressing up a $2000 iMac with Windows.

@jdh5153 said:

I recommend the MacBook Pro personally. It's a little more expensive, but it's also more capable. I'm dual booting OS X and Windows 8 on mine and I can play a lot of my Steam games at high quality on my MacBook which is pretty nice. And it's sexy as hell. :)

The 13" Pro isn't really more capable, it has a faster processor but not more cores, it's not a dramatic difference and it won't be noticeable for day to day use. MBPs have standard hard drives so you get more storage but super load times compared to the SSDs in the Airs and Retina MBPs. If you are recommending the 15" Pros (which actually are far more capable) then that seems dumb as if the OP is considering an Air he obviously wants light and portable, not big and unwieldy which is exactly what I consider laptops over 13".

Also OP don't forget that the 13" Pro has the super outdated resolution of 1280x800 vs. 1440x900 on the 13" Air. (unless you are looking at the overpriced retina 13" Pro)

#44 Posted by Daveyo520 (7005 posts) -

@JJWeatherman: Bad JJ bad!

#45 Edited by JJWeatherman (14571 posts) -

@HistoryInRust said:

@JJWeatherman: Eh. It seems like you already know what you want and are looking for general reaffirmation.

To an extent, sure. That was even part of my original post. I haven't seen anything that's turned me away from my initial thought that this would be nearly perfect for me. Although some of the Ultrabooks I've looked at seem pretty cool. For what it's worth, you've gotten me to take a long hard look at the Pro line, which I may not have otherwise. I just don't see why it would make more sense for me.

@Sooty: I think the kind may have been endorsing OSX over Chrome OS, not Windows, in which case he probably wouldn't find much of an argument. Although, as someone who's grown to love Chrome OS, I may still be able to put together an argument, ha.

Anyway, good reply. Thanks.

@Daveyo520 said:

@JJWeatherman: Bad JJ bad!

I know. ...I know. :(

#46 Edited by Ben_H (3440 posts) -

Get an Air. They're great machines.  Nice and dependable as long as you don't treat them like complete garbage or do stupid stuff to them (I still haven't figured out how people break the trackpads. I've used my Pro daily for 2.5 years at probably 5+ hours a day and never had an issue). Once you get used to all the keyboard shortcuts, set up Spaces nicely to compliment your workflow, and get used to everything, you won't want to use anything else. Other than some games, I haven't found anything I can't do on my Mac that I can do on Windows. If you are good enough with WINE you can get a lot of stuff to work (including emulated Windows Steam which allows you to install games. I did that for a long time before Steam for Mac got more than half of my library available on Mac). Also, Macs are crazy stable, I can count the number of times mine has crashed or locked up on one hand. That certainly can't be said about my desktop.

Fuck Windows. 

Edit: The batteries are amazing, at least in my Pro it is. My Pro still has 98% capacity after 2.5 years and over 330 complete charge cycles. I just do the monthly complete drain thing they recommend to keep the battery in good condition.

#47 Posted by Fredddi43 (359 posts) -

@JJWeatherman: Well to see if it's a good time to upgrade check here: http://9to5mac.com/products/ Spoilers: It's a good time to buy, it'll props be another 6 months before Apple upgrades them again. As for the working environment, I use a Macbook Pro and I can say that is very pleasant to work with. Windows always annoys me very often, even through the little things, and I'm happy to say the Macbook "just works". Just don't expect to get any games on it, it's worthless for that.

#48 Posted by Ben_H (3440 posts) -
@Fredddi43 said:

and I'm happy to say the Macbook "just works". Just don't expect to get any games on it, it's worthless for that.

Yup, the cliche of "It just works" is really the only way to describe it. They're dependable machines. I always opt for my Mac over my Windows machine when it comes to doing actual work. 

And the gaming situation is actually getting better. I myself have over 100 Mac Steam games and that doesn't even count all the GOG stuff I have (many have Mac installers now, and the Windows GOG installer works perfectly with WINE so almost anything on GOG is playable on Mac through WINE now. The App Store also is starting to get bigger games now like Borderlands 2).
#49 Posted by itspizza (446 posts) -

I have the most recent 13" macbook air. It's a great machine, does almost everything my gaming PC does. If you're going to go with the air, I would definitely recommend the base 13". By spending an extra $200, you get: a bigger screen, 2 hours extra battery, a better processor, an SD card slot, and double the internal storage. Plus OS X is a great laptop OS, the trackpad gesters make life a lot easier. The only thing I have against my air is that the build quality on the base is a little suspect, it creaks a lot. I should probably take it into an apple store after the holidays.

#50 Posted by Chaser324 (6744 posts) -

I have a 2011 13" Macbook Air, and I've been very happy with it. It's slim profile, light weight, and solid construction make it extremely easy to travel with. It doesn't have the horsepower of a Pro, but unless you plan on doing a lot of high end video editing or gaming, it should be sufficient. I use it primarily for writing and web/software development, and it meets all of my wants and needs.

I had only used Windows machines prior to getting my Air, and I must say that I am extremely impressed with how much better suited OS X is for laptop use. Multiple desktops (handled much better than any Linux window manager I've ever used), keyboard shortcuts, and trackpad gestures can really boost your productivity and allow you to make the most of the limited screen real estate once you learn how to effectively use them.