#1 Posted by Demoskinos (14585 posts) -

http://www.businessinsider.com/portugal-drug-policy-decriminalization-works-2012-7

So I just read parts of this article which was a interesting read. Here is one of the more interesting quotes:

The resulting effect: a drastic reduction in addicts, with Portuguese officials and reports highlighting that this number, at 100,000 before the new policy was enacted, has been halved in the following ten years. Portugal's drug usage rates are now among the lowest of EU member states, according to the same report.

So, what does everyone think about this? I've always thought that honestly we should do the same thing. People in the end tend to actually regulate themselves. It goes without saying that when you make things taboo it always tends to attract more people to do those things. If this were to be adopted in other countries do you think we could eventually see global drug use decline?

#2 Posted by Doctorchimp (4069 posts) -

But then how does our privatized prison system make its cash money?

#3 Posted by Demoskinos (14585 posts) -

@Doctorchimp: Well, there is still murder and rape. 2 out of 3 is still something.

#4 Posted by Vinny_Says (5691 posts) -

We need someone to fill all those prisons. This will never happen.

#5 Posted by fRAWRst (236 posts) -

as sad as it is, yup. the prison/police/booking industry has too much money flowing through it

tis sad times

#6 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10552 posts) -

IT'S ALL A CONSPIRACY, MAN!

Outlaw all drugs! ALL OF THEM!

#7 Posted by Doctorchimp (4069 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@Doctorchimp: Well, there is still murder and rape. 2 out of 3 is still something.

Those are like actual crimes, not enough people commit those.

#8 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

What is Portugal's stance on gun ownership? You don't want drugs easy to get along with easy access to guns.

#9 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -
#10 Posted by haffy (673 posts) -

@Sooty said:

What is Portugal's stance on gun ownership? You don't want drugs easy to get along with easy access to guns.

I don't think it would be easier to get drugs. Looks like selling them is still illegal, it's only personal possession that's decriminalization.

#11 Posted by Gabriel (4055 posts) -

I'd buy Cocaine in bulk if it was legal, I call Bullshit.

#12 Posted by Hunter5024 (5555 posts) -

My parents are drug counselors and they've been saying we should do this for years. Those numbers are backed up by multiple countries. Usually it's because countries tend to take a fraction of the money they've been investing in keeping drugs out of peoples hands and use it on government funded treatment centers. I'm under the impression that people will get drugs if they really want them, so making them illegal doesn't help much, but at the same time I'm sure there are a ton of people who wont try drugs simply because they're illegal.

#13 Posted by mlarrabee (2889 posts) -

To be clear, drug possession and use are still illegal in Portugal.

#14 Edited by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

@Doctorchimp said:

@Vinny_Says said:

These two have the gist of it. The prison industry would lose a lot of money if they decriminalized drug possession. Prisons are supposed to be a method of rehabilitation, but greedy bastards saw the monetary potential of filling prisons to the brim.

#15 Posted by pyromagnestir (4252 posts) -

@BraveToaster said:

@Doctorchimp said:

@Vinny_Says said:

These two have the gist of it. The prison industry would lose a lot of money if they decriminalized drug possession. Prisons are supposed to be a method of rehabilitation, but greedy bastards saw the monetary potential of filling prisons to brim.

This seems appropriate...

#16 Posted by Video_Game_King (36090 posts) -

@BraveToaster said:

Prisons are supposed to be a method of rehabilitation, but greedy bastards saw the monetary potential of filling prisons to the brim.

They are? Because the concept sounds like a really bad view of rehabilitation.

#17 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

I actually wasn't aware that prisons in the US were privatized. I've been under the impression that they were State operated and tax funded.

#18 Posted by Rebel_Scum (642 posts) -

@Doctorchimp said:

Don't forget Breweries would earn less. They are the main opponents to decriminalisation of Marijuana. Its been said that they would lose about a third of their business if its introduced.

#19 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

@SathingtonWaltz: Nope, prisons in the US are ran by companies, and the more prisoners, the more cash that comes flowing in.

#20 Posted by Clonedzero (4091 posts) -

i dont really care about addict numbers. people can be addicts if they want to be. its their choice.

whats the crime numbers?

yea, i wish the US would decriminalize drugs, we'd save billions.

#21 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

@Clonedzero said:

i dont really care about addict numbers. people can be addicts if they want to be. its their choice.

whats the crime numbers?

Actually no, Being an addict is not a choice.

#22 Posted by buft (3303 posts) -

All the people on drugs no longer need to classify themselves as addicts when they get caught, numbers fall but the same amount of people are still out there getting wasted, the difference is now no one is bugging them.

#23 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@Clonedzero said:

whats the crime numbers?

It's a consequence of ones own personal decisions.

#24 Edited by Dexter_Morgan_ (314 posts) -

The war on drugs is bullshit.

#25 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

@Dexter_Morgan_ said:

The war on drugs is bullshit.

Right you are.

#26 Posted by Clonedzero (4091 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@Clonedzero said:

whats the crime numbers?

actually yes it is. no one forced them to take the drug in the first place. you have to make a choice to become an addict in the first place. like i made the choice of not being a meth addict, how did i do that? i didnt smoke any meth lol.

well i mean, maybe if someone forced someone to take a bunch of heroine at gunpoint, thats one thing, but how often does that happen?

generally speaking, taking a drug is a choice. peer pressure and that nonsense is not an excuse, ive been in that situation and ive turned things down, and ive accepted things. they were choices i made, they werent made for me.

ok, well maybe being an addict isn't a choice, but becoming one is.

#27 Posted by Murtaug (308 posts) -

How many of those previous addicts are dead?

#28 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Clonedzero said:

whats the crime numbers?

Your right, but so is getting into a car crash or getting mono.

No one chooses to get into a car crash, and no one chooses to get mono.

#29 Posted by Dexter_Morgan_ (314 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Clonedzero said:

whats the crime numbers?

Yes, but people don't get locked up for faulting in fender benders and kissing diseases.

#30 Posted by Clonedzero (4091 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Clonedzero said:

whats the crime numbers?

theres a pretty big difference between driving safely and getting T-boned by some asshole. and going "yeah, gimme that spoonful of meth! thats a great idea!"

are you saying accidents and actual decisions are the same thing? theres something called personal responsibility. im sympathetic towards addicts sure, but im not going to say its not their fault.

#31 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

@Clonedzero said:

@Dagbiker said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Clonedzero said:

whats the crime numbers?

theres a pretty big difference between driving safely and getting T-boned by some asshole. and going "yeah, gimme that spoonful of meth! thats a great idea!"

are you saying accidents and actual decisions are the same thing? theres something called personal responsibility. im sympathetic towards addicts sure, but im not going to say its not their fault.

I never said they were blameless, but no one chooses to be an addict.

#32 Posted by laserbolts (5314 posts) -

The states will never do it so neither will Canada so that article means nothing to me.

#33 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@Dagbiker

@Clonedzero said:

@Dagbiker said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Clonedzero said:

whats the crime numbers?

That's a good distinction to make, actually, and one often missed when talking about addiction, or choice and consequence on general.
#34 Posted by LD50 (416 posts) -

@Aronman789 said:

@SathingtonWaltz: Nope, prisons in the US are ran by companies, and the more prisoners, the more cash that comes flowing in.

I'd have to look to find the article, but in Texas there were issues with judges being invested in the private prison. Like owning the land that was leased for the facility, etc.

Good stuff, fuck any semblance of legality.

Also, they moved all the class 1 misdemeanors to class 4 felonies. Meaning what would normally get you probation or fine now gets you 2 years prison. CHA-CHING!

#35 Posted by MethodMan008 (807 posts) -

You're not supposed to talk about drugs here. :P

#36 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3758 posts) -

I question how the numbers were taken. However, I do believe we should legalize drugs. At least we would remove the criminal element that plagues lower income areas.

#37 Posted by Levio (1784 posts) -

I hope people realize that decriminalization does not make drugs legal, it simply changes how illegal drug cases are handled in court.

#38 Posted by jakob187 (21645 posts) -
#39 Posted by Intro (1206 posts) -

Good to hear. I do think drugs should be decriminalized, at least cannabis for starters. If the governments still want to rape money from the citizens, they can just make it so you have to pay a $250 ticket and be on your way if caught, somewhat like Chicago is doing.

I don't care if drugs are legalized or decriminalized, although I suppose I do support legalization of weed. Reason why I said I don't care though is because whether it's legal or not, I can still get weed. Remember the alcohol prohibition? Yeah, it's kinda like that, doesn't work. People are still buying, selling and obviously smoking weed all over the country everyday and that can never be stopped. I mean, it's kinda hard to stop everyone from getting hold of something that can simply grow in the ground.

#40 Edited by FilipHolm (667 posts) -

@pyromagnestir said:

@BraveToaster said:

@Doctorchimp said:

@Vinny_Says said:

These two have the gist of it. The prison industry would lose a lot of money if they decriminalized drug possession. Prisons are supposed to be a method of rehabilitation, but greedy bastards saw the monetary potential of filling prisons to brim.

They're always appropriate

#41 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@Clonedzero said:

@Dagbiker said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Clonedzero said:

whats the crime numbers?

...Okay. I see your point but it's wording is very very poor. It's also not really a point as much as it is a cleverly worded fact.

#42 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@Aronman789 said:

Yes.

#43 Posted by Intro (1206 posts) -

@FilipHolm said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@BraveToaster said:

@Doctorchimp said:

@Vinny_Says said:

Indeed they are. Less than a month and I will be at their show.

#44 Posted by Jayzilla (2555 posts) -

as long as they don't criminalize Pam pan spray it's all good. I love huffing that out of dirty socks.

#45 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3112 posts) -

I was thinking System of a Down too.

#46 Posted by FilipHolm (667 posts) -

@Intro said:

@FilipHolm said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@BraveToaster said:

@Doctorchimp said:

@Vinny_Says said:

Indeed they are. Less than a month and I will be at their show.

Lucky you :) I saw them last summer at Metaltown. Was insane

#47 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@Jayzilla said:

as long as they don't criminalize Pam pan spray it's all good. I love huffing that out of dirty socks.

They won't criminalize it but you'll have to go to the pharmacy counter and show them your drivers license before you can buy it.

#48 Posted by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

Conflicted.

#49 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6289 posts) -

The prison industrial system would lose business as well as big tobacco and alcohol, more money than would be saved if drugs were all decriminalized. It makes me fucking sick to my stomach to know that that is literally all that's keeping these drugs illegal, but fuck it, I learned to stop getting pissed off about it long ago. When you realize that legitimate change of these laws is simply impossible by the common man (no amount of protests, education, demonstrations, or organizations will ever change this) you fall into a state of depression and apathy towards the whole thing. And the majority of people think the government is keeping their best interests in mind with keeping drugs illegal. I applaud Columbia and Uruguay for decriminalizing Marijuana and Cocaine (EVERYTHING should be decrim'd, but it's a start) but I can't help but think these laws will "mysteriously change" when it starts to dip into cartels' and politicians' pockets. All anyone has to say is "YEAH, WELL HE'S A DRUGGIE." and they're immediately discredited. I've known more junkies that have a real idea of what's going on in this world than people who are successful by societal standards. I don't know, maybe I've just dropped too much acid. I'm going to end this depressing ass post with a line from one Shawn Daley:

"Are you a patient or a junky? The only difference is who takes your money!"