This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by MB (11956 posts) -

I've been wanting to start a poll to determine what Giant Bomb's favorite hot sauce is, but inevitably there is someone that freaks out because their all time favorite isn't listed and they don't want to click other. So, here it is...your chance to make sure your favorite is included in the poll.

If it isn't listed somewhere in this topic, don't assume I will remember to put it in. The big ones so far:

• Huy Fong Sriracha
  • Huy Fong Chili Garlic Sauce
  • Tabasco (original, habanero, green, chipotle)
  • Cholula
  • Tapatio
  • Crystal
  • Texas Pete
  • Louisiana Brand
  • Reggae Reggae Sauce
  • Frank's RedHot
  • Pepper Plant Original
  • Lizano Salsa
  • Marie Sharp's
  • Dave's Ghost
  • Shitty fast food hot sauce (Yes seriously, Taco Bell for @sparky_buzzsaw)
  • Mad Dog
  • El Yucateco
  • Gator Hammock Gator Sauce
  • La Guacamaya Hot Habanera
  • There will be options at the end for homemade and "I'm a nine year old girl and don't like anything spicy" or something to that effect.

I'm trying to decide whether to include crazy ass products like some of the Blair's sauces that will melt your face off from the inside out. What do you think? What needs to be added or removed from the list? Should the choices be ordered randomly, in alphabetical order, or in ascending or descending scoville heat units?

#2 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6074 posts) -

I actually really like the bottles of Taco Bell hot sayce available in supermarkets. I know, it's weird.

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (35975 posts) -

YOU ASKED.

#4 Posted by Dalai (6991 posts) -

I'd also add Mad Dog and Dave's Gourmet to the list. They're probably the two most known for making the hottest sauces you can buy and maybe somebody would actually vote for them. After that, you're getting into some strange territory since there are so many different hot sauce makers so maybe an "other" option might be necessary.

Or just... form a hot sauce committee to figure this out for you.

#6 Posted by ILikePopCans (745 posts) -

@video_game_king: your a V3 update

I always think too many choices for a poll is for the worst so I think those options are fine.

#7 Posted by Hunter5024 (5534 posts) -

Hershey's Chocolate Syrup.

#8 Edited by Demoskinos (14559 posts) -
#9 Posted by SecondPersonShooter (615 posts) -

I just found out today that Sriracha is not actually a brand, but the type of sauce, and that blew my mind

#10 Posted by MB (11956 posts) -

Hershey's Chocolate Syrup.

The nine year old girl option is already on there!

#11 Posted by Krullban (1023 posts) -

고추장. That shit's delicious.

#12 Posted by ShaggE (6320 posts) -

El Yucateco definitely deserves a spot. Their green habanero sauce is incredibly good, and every Mexican restaurant I've been to that knows their shit keeps it in stock.

Side note: Cholula... ugh. I tried it once and immediately spit it out. That shit is naaaas-tay.

#13 Edited by MB (11956 posts) -

Oh crap, I almost forgot Huy Fong's Garlic Chili Sauce. That's definitely going in.

#14 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11461 posts) -

@video_game_king: I will never ever get tired of that video.

Yep. Same here.

Also, Sriracha is already there, so I don't have much to add.

#15 Edited by MB (11956 posts) -

I actually really like the bottles of Taco Bell hot sayce available in supermarkets. I know, it's weird.

You stay out of my poll, blasphemer.

#16 Posted by Sin4profit (2905 posts) -

wouldn't call myself a hot sauce aficionado but i enjoy me some Huy Fong.

#17 Posted by DEFE (229 posts) -

@shagge said:

Side note: Cholula... ugh. I tried it once and immediately spit it out. That shit is naaaas-tay.

Cholula is in no way meant for everything. And by that I mean it's my favorite hot sauce to put on pizza and I don't put it on a single other thing. Maybe you'd like it on pizza?

#18 Posted by ShaggE (6320 posts) -

@defe: Maybe. I'm certainly not averse to trying it again, as one doesn't become a hot sauce aficionado without having a masochistic streak, haha. Although for pizza, I prefer a buffalo sauce like Frank's or something.

#19 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

Iguana sauce is pretty good. Don't know if anyone else has ever bought it, but I like it.

#20 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Gator Hammock - Gator Sauce is seriously the best.

African Rhino Peri Peri Hot Sauce is also awesome.

Out of your standard hot sauces, the kind of sauces that add some tang but not a strong flavor, Texas Pete is my favorite.

#21 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4144 posts) -

Oooh! El Yucateco Exxtra Hot!

#22 Posted by DEFE (229 posts) -

@shagge: I've never tried that before. I might have to give that a shot some time.

#23 Posted by MB (11956 posts) -

I think I may skip doing every variety of a sauce and then people can just explain their choices if they want...for instance, just Tabasco instead of every variety of Tabasco as it's own option.

#24 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

Dave's Gourmet plz. Dat ghost chili sauce...

#25 Posted by BisonHero (6140 posts) -
#26 Edited by KoolAid (836 posts) -

La Guacamaya Hot Habanera.

From Mexico. Not too spicy that you are spent after one bite, but you'll be feeling it at the end of the meal. Perfect blend of flavor and spice IMO. I don't think it will win, but I just want to spread awareness :)

#27 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (725 posts) -

McDonald's Hot Sauce.

Not my favourite but you gotta have other fast food brands if Taco Bell is in the mix.

#28 Posted by MrHadouken (166 posts) -

Dave's ghost ( or insanity) will do. Siracha is basically ketchup.

#29 Edited by TheHBK (5463 posts) -
#30 Posted by MB (11956 posts) -

McDonald's Hot Sauce.

Not my favourite but you gotta have other fast food brands if Taco Bell is in the mix.

I may just make the option "Shitty fast food hot sauce" as a catch-all. Definitely not going to list them all individually.

#31 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4144 posts) -

@mb: Maybe include a "house brands" option. Ex) "H-E-B", this Texas chain of supermarkets.

#32 Posted by MB (11956 posts) -

@blu3v3nom07: I can do that...any input on how best to describe the option? I want it to be clear.

#33 Posted by SgtSphynx (1262 posts) -

Well, you've got Cock Sauce and Tapatio already, so I guess the only thing I can think to add is Captain Sorensen's Datil Pepper Hot Sauce from Firehouse Subs. I don't personally think it's hot, but it is damn tasty.

#34 Posted by Danteveli (1160 posts) -

@krullban said:

Was about to post the same. Its the best thing

#35 Edited by MB (11956 posts) -

@mrhadouken said:

Dave's ghost ( or insanity) will do. Siracha is basically ketchup.

Stuff like ghost pepper sauces are too much for me. I know some people legitimately like them but I see a lot of those sauces that are up in the millions of scoville units as more of a novelty than anything else.

I will probably put one of the extract sauces on the list, maybe "The Source" which weighs in at 7 million Scoville heat units.

Anyway, I agree with you in that Sriracha isn't that spicy but it does taste good, and I like that it enhances my food rather than totally overpowering it.

#36 Edited by shinjin977 (747 posts) -

So how are we judging the sauces? Hotness, taste, going well with most food or over all balance of the three? In either case, Sriracha wins easily. Don't believe me? Try it on a taco, burger or just straight up fried eggs. It taste good with anything, I am just sad it does not go well with most Japanese food or I would be dipping sushi in it.

#37 Edited by CaLe (3909 posts) -

I don't think I've ever used hot sauce in my entire life. Not shitting you.

#38 Posted by MB (11956 posts) -

So how are we judging the sauces? Hotness, taste, going well with most food or over all balance of the three?

It's entirely subjective, so vote for whatever you think your overall favorite is.

#39 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4144 posts) -

@mb said:

@blu3v3nom07: I can do that...any input on how best to describe the option? I want it to be clear.

Well, Their Green Sauce's thickness falls somewhere between salsa and taco sauce. Its darn good, and its like $4 for a little tub.

So, "House-brand"/"Specialty Store" can refer to salsas made by a particular store. Its weird Wal-Mart hasn't even tried jumping into that market yet. Their ketchup is awful.

#40 Posted by Krullban (1023 posts) -

@krullban said:

Was about to post the same. Its the best thing

It sure is. I use it while cooking pretty often now.

#41 Edited by WickedFather (1730 posts) -

How the hell can you people eat that stuff. It'll screw your insides up.

Oh noes! I's joko!

Let's face it, this is going to boil down to Frank's and Sriracha because they're widely available and pretty easy to eat. Those are thai chillies in the ristra above and a habanero variant down below that I thought I'd been given the wrong seeds for because of the shape, had a big bite of one when it was still ripening and then wahhhhhhhhh!!!

Yes - that Castlevania does have the CD and artwork book and they're MINT.

#42 Posted by MB (11956 posts) -

Still open for submissions in case anyone has anything they would like to add, will be closing at approx 8pm Pacific and starting the poll!

#43 Posted by NinjaBerd (221 posts) -

I love everything about this topic.

#44 Edited by mikethekilla (328 posts) -

#45 Posted by Karkarov (2971 posts) -
#46 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I don't enjoy most hot sauces but Sriracha complements pretty much anything you put it on.

#47 Edited by SaturdayNightSpecials (2308 posts) -

Sriracha is real useful if you're having pho or ramen, but I'm not sure how it would be as a catch-all condiment. But that's all hot sauce, I only like it in specific situations.

I think Pico Pica is okay too. I haven't had it in a long time.

#48 Edited by DrDarkStryfe (1085 posts) -

Mine's more of a regional thing. Quaker Steak and Lube makes some amazing sauces, and the Atomic is great when I want a kick on what I eat.

#49 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3733 posts) -

Can we all agree to leave Tabasco off because it is a fucking travesty of a sauce and should not wear the "hot" name? It's watery substance says it all.