Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By Karkarov

@mandude said:

I'm not sure if you quoted the wrong person or what, but nothing I said to TentPole has any relevance to what you're saying now. Specifically, I was saying that if he voted against gay marriage, would that not be forcing his beliefs on others, which is exactly what he said he didn't do? It turns out he wouldn't do that, and I have nothing but respect for his decisions, no matter how different the may be from my own, but even so. None of it had anything to do with tolerance toward one group or another. I also don't see what Catholicism has to do with being anti gay marriage though. Most Catholics I know are for it.

Nope I didn't. I am just making a point, not even one necessarily directed at you. Most of the people on this site who feel those that are not pro gay marriage are "forcing their beliefs" on the gay community would jump at the chance to force Atheism on a Catholic. Moral right doesn't go only one way and that's all I am saying.

JordanK85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152  Edited By JordanK85

It's good thing to see a person as influential as the President of the US supporting equal rights even if it's just a political move. From the political perspective I think it's a bit of a risky move before the election. My guess is that the democrats want to bolster support from their base after 4 years of general dissatisfaction from the very people who they expect their votes from. However, evangelical Christians, who wouldn't have otherwise voted for Romney due to lack of trust in the Mormon religion, may be moved to vote against Obama, not necessarily for Romney, because of this move. It'll probably be a wash. Still good to see though; as they say: better late than never.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By TentPole

@Animasta: I already told you why what happened last time. I have been ostracized for being in a gay relationship and I have been ostracized for joining a religion. Both are really shitty but only one happens on this site.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By mandude

@Karkarov said:

@mandude said:

I'm not sure if you quoted the wrong person or what, but nothing I said to TentPole has any relevance to what you're saying now. Specifically, I was saying that if he voted against gay marriage, would that not be forcing his beliefs on others, which is exactly what he said he didn't do? It turns out he wouldn't do that, and I have nothing but respect for his decisions, no matter how different the may be from my own, but even so. None of it had anything to do with tolerance toward one group or another. I also don't see what Catholicism has to do with being anti gay marriage though. Most Catholics I know are for it.

Nope I didn't. I am just making a point, not even one necessarily directed at you. Most of the people on this site who feel those that are not pro gay marriage are "forcing their beliefs" on the gay community would jump at the chance to force Atheism on a Catholic. Moral right doesn't go only one way and that's all I am saying.

Well, bigotry lives on both sides of the coin, but you needn't tell me that. I think debate should be geared towards enlightening both sides, rather than proving that you're right.

ashleychittock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#155  Edited By ashleychittock

@MattyFTM said:

@AlexW00d said:

@CitizenKane said:

the most powerful person in the world

lol

Who is more powerful, then?

No Caption Provided

Seriously though, it seems overly-cynical to me that people are ripping into him for only just making this outward show of support. Yeah he undoubtedly has moral convictions like every other person but at the end of the day he is a politician, and the sad reality is that he has to hide his views out of fear of losing his position or credibility.

I'm from the UK, not the USA, but I often wonder what the general opinion on same sex marriage is over there. We read all kinds of apparently "credible" survey results in the newspapers that find that 30% of Americans think Jesus was from the US or that 50% of Americans believe the literal word of the bible. I doubt any of them are actually true or representative, but with the selective view we get of American society, it does make it look like a highly polarised place. Any Americans wanna enlighten me?

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By TentPole

@mandude said:

Well, bigotry lives on both sides of the coin, but you needn't tell me that. I think debate should be geared towards enlightening both sides, rather than proving that you're right.

I cannot agree with this more.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#157  Edited By Animasta

@TentPole said:

@Animasta: I already told you why what happened last time. I have been ostracized for being in a gay relationship and I have been ostracized for joining a religion. Both are really shitty but only one happens on this site.

well I don't understand how you can be mormon and gay/bisexual but I would never attack you personally because of your mormonism and anyone who would is a jerk

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#158  Edited By laserbolts

@rjayb89 said:

I don't think Ryan will want to be on this planet anymore.

Cute.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#159  Edited By Sergio

@BraveToaster said:

Trying to secure that gay vote...

Sure... Especially since Romney had already come out saying he's against both gay marriage and civil unions. That's it.

crazyleaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#160  Edited By crazyleaves

The thing is marriage helps the economy. Single people are more likely to need social services, getting married itself generates money for municipalities and married couples spend more money. Conservatism isn't a bad thing, especially these days but social conservatism is for the fucking birds.

Telling someone they can't do something because God told them so is fucking ridiculous. Atheist don't run around telling people of faith that they're morons, at least not until confronted by bigotry from believers.

This was one topic that really frustrated me about Obama, I'm glad he nutted up and said it. Good for him.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@BraveToaster: I think gays would prefer a President that didn't see their way of life as the way of the Devil.

unordinarily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By unordinarily

What is funny (sad) to me is that, despite "separation of church and state" .. I have literally NEVER heard an argument against same-sex marriage that is not religiously-based. Not one that made sense, anyway.

(Not counting those psuedo-scientific "studies" about gays being bad parents, etc.)

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Animasta said:

@TentPole said:

well I don't understand how you can be mormon and gay/bisexual but I would never attack you personally because of your mormonism and anyone who would is a jerk

Dumb Dumb Dumb Dumb, Dummmmb

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By mandude

@crazyleaves said:

Atheist don't run around telling people of faith that they're morons.

Ah now, I think a big part of the initiation rites for a lot of atheists is exactly that.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By TentPole

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Animasta said:

@TentPole said:

Yep, started with South Park references last time too.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By Animasta

@crazyleaves said:

Atheist don't run around telling people of faith that they're morons

http://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/

wrong

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#167  Edited By dagas

Let us all welcome America to the 21st century.

TheRamboFetus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By TheRamboFetus

@ashleychittock: I read somewhere yesterday that like 50% of americans are for gay marriage and 48% against.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#169  Edited By Hamz

Politically it's a pretty big and bold move to make by him but morally and culturally it's also a fairly significant one. We live in a cosmopolitan world, it's time everyone realised this. GG Obama!

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#170  Edited By Jimbo
@crazyleaves said:
Atheist don't run around telling people of faith that they're morons, at least not until confronted by bigotry from believers.
They kinda do. Like a lot.
mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By mnzy
@Animasta said:

@crazyleaves said:

wrong

It's a sub-reddit for atheist. How is that "running around"?
customotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By customotto

@TentPole said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Animasta said:

@TentPole said:

South Park is pretty good at inciting people to be dicks to other people.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#173  Edited By BlackLagoon

One thing to keep in mind here is that in American politics, simply motivating "your" people to bother voting is often just as important as getting swing voters. Used to be gay issues were a good way to get social conservatives off the couch and into the voting booths so they could prevent prevent divine punishment and mandatory sodomy sessions. Now I guess the Democrats are starting to believe gay marriage is more likely to energize previously disillusioned gays and the increasing number of people who have gay friends and family, while that for Romney running an anti-gay campaign, even just in a socially conservative state, might backfire and hurt him on a national level.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Animasta

@mnzy said:

@Animasta said:

@crazyleaves said:

wrong

they would if they could and you know that

BorkistheWord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By BorkistheWord

Love the person hate the sin.... I bet you George Washington is rolling around in his grave right about now!

crazyleaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By crazyleaves
@mandude

@crazyleaves said:

Ah now, I think a big part of the initiation rites for a lot of atheists is exactly that.

You edited my post.
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@CustomOtto said:

@TentPole said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Animasta said:

@TentPole said:

South Park is pretty good at inciting people to be dicks to other people.

Don't mix me in with those South Park fans, my posts are inspired by the high calibur of Broadway productions sir!

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#179  Edited By lethalki11ler

Glad someone does.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By Dany

@Eisen said:

I don't think the government should acknowledge any marriage. It should be between the individuals involved and their community to accept it.

They should .They provide tax breaks and benefits for those that are 'married' It is in their interest to define marriage.

TheRamboFetus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By TheRamboFetus

@Animasta: You shouldn't make generalizations.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By Animasta

@TheRamboFetus said:

@Animasta: You shouldn't make generalizations.

what, about atheists?

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

But marriage should be a holy union between a man and a woman that lasts a lifetime. - Bible guy on the corner.

COUGH 50% DIVORCE RATE IN AMERICA COUGH

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By TheFreeMan
@Animasta said:

@mnzy said:

@Animasta said:

@crazyleaves said:

wrong

they would if they could and you know that

I dunno, I imagine that they have the opportunities in real life but most choose to vent on reddit on account of the comparatively low risk of getting punched in the face.
mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By mandude

@crazyleaves said:

@mandude

@crazyleaves said:

You edited my post.

Sorry. I did not believe it altered the intent in any significant way, and it made it easier to frame my reply with more relevance.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By inkerman

@Milkman said:

The fact that gay marriage is still an issue to 20-fucking-12 is an absolute embarrassment to the entire human race. If you are against gay marriage, you are a detriment to the progress of mankind and should be removed from respectable society.

Uh, so the majority of humanity is a detriment to the progress of mankind? Actually that makes sense.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By Dany

The news of N. Carolina is disappointing and this is clearly a response of that to affirm his stance but support is support. This issue is fucking confounding when handled by the sates, California has had multiple propositions that won for and against gay marriage. Congress should act as a whole to say its legal and not to the individual states.

TheRamboFetus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By TheRamboFetus

@Animasta: They shouldn't make generalizations about religious people ,and some of atheists need someplace to vent and /r/atheism is good for that or would you rather me go and spew my lack of beliefs on religious people?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By Animasta

@TheRamboFetus said:

@Animasta: They shouldn't make generalizations about religious people ,and a lot of atheists need someplace to vent and /r/atheism is good for that or would you rather me go and spew my lack of beliefs on religious people?

or you could just ignore them and not get so angry at them

pplus0440

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By pplus0440

This will probably come back to bite him in the ass. Especially after being the reasonable middle of the road guy.
Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By Dany

@Eisen said:

@Dany: Tax breaks are a problem that cost our government billions of dollars because they are abused and taken advantage of. We'd be better off with a flat tax, no deductions, no loopholes and everyone pays the same % without any way to cheat their way out of it.

I disagree. The rich should pay more for taxes. But that is besides the point. This is about equality and a gay man should be able to marry and have the same rights as traditional marriage.

TheRamboFetus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By TheRamboFetus

@Animasta: Here is the thing where I live I get harassed and people act like they're better than me because I'm atheist and I'm sure other atheists in religious areas feel repressed so instead of being asses to people in real life they go to a forum about atheism and vent.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@TheRamboFetus said:

@Animasta: Here is the thing where I live I get harassed and people act like they're better than me because I'm atheist and I'm sure other atheists in religious areas feel repressed so instead of being asses to people in real life they go to a forum about atheism and vent.

So what if they believe in God or Allah or the Easter Bunny. They had these beliefs kicked into them at a young age. How many people do you see come from athiest familys become religious compared to people from religious familys becoming athiest. At the end of the day religious people are just scared of death and look down of the sane people that dont agree with their fairy tales. Its cool you have a imaginary friend but dont talk about him like hes real.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By Animasta

@TheRamboFetus said:

do you specifically tell people you're atheist? I don't know how they would know otherwise

crazyleaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By crazyleaves

@mandude said:

@crazyleaves said:

@mandude

@crazyleaves said:

You edited my post.

It made it easier to frame my reply with more relevance.

Atheist don't run around telling people of faith that they're morons, at least not until confronted by bigotry from believers.

When you live in Texas and have abstinence only sex-ed and teaching the creationist "theory" in schools. Atheists get kinda pissed that their children are being taught the churches belief on public money. The worst part is that these policies are bad for us.

TheRamboFetus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By TheRamboFetus

@Animasta: Tell one person and it spreads

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By Animasta

@TheRamboFetus said:

@Animasta: Small community tell one person and it spreads

well hey, im not trying to say that people like you aren't discriminated against or anything, but I sincerly doubt the atheist board is actually filled with people like you, who are actually discriminated against on such a scale.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By NTM

Of course he does, he wants more votes. I say boo to him, thumbs down for that.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#200  Edited By Snipzor

Doesn't affect me in the least, but it's neat I guess and certainly garners him a few more votes. Not like he's trying to get states like North Carolina anyways, so he might as well.