rexualhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By rexualhealing

Before you start reading, I would like to let you know that this blog contains:

• A semi-epic but not really account of a bowel movement I once made that may or may not have changed my life for the better.
  • Pretentious ridiculousness you may or may not agree with.
  • A call to arms for the salvation of print media which may or may not be overly idealistic.

If this does not sound appealing to you, you should either close out of this page or proceed to the comments section and troll away. Now that I've gotten that over with, let's proceed to the interesting stuff.

Let me start off with a story.

Once upon a time, I was at my friend Tony's house. Our group of friends were doing the usual stuff, watching ridiculous anime I had bought on VHS from Half-Price Books, Taco Bell was probably being eaten, one or more of us was probably not sober, etc, etc. Well, I had to take a shit really bad. My stomach was burning, I couldn't walk, things were uncomfortable. Needless to say, despite the fact that I don't like taking shits anywhere besides my bathroom at home for some reason, I wound up sitting on the toilet in the guest bathroom after a few minutes of flatulence and agonizing abdominble pain. 30 minutes and one nearly clogged toilet later, I was done. The problem was, while I was shitting, I was focused on nothing but the waste being expelled from my colon and pattern on the linoleum floor (it was very minimalist and had a sort of floral hint, in case you were wondering).

Since this incident, I have taken to having some sort of reading material on me at all times. Recent issues of Mojo, Retro Gamer, Houston Press, etc, back issues of old gaming mags, anything half-way interesting, really, just so I don't have to focus on the act of shitting while using the facilities.

You might see where I'm going with this. You might also say that I am making a really weak arguement and just wanted to type a paragraph about a really insignificant 30 minute bowel movement I had about a year ago.

With the recent closure of EGM, many newspapers, magazines, etc, people around the globe are claiming that print media is on its last legs. Online media is the next cool thing, they say, and print media will successfully die out in a few years.

All you have to do is walk into a waiting room of any kind, or go into an airport, or go into a coffee shop, or go into a restroom, or go into anywhere someone has to spend long periods of time doing nothing to see that print media's not dying anytime soon. If anything, it's evolving.

Videogame magazines need to focus on things other than current gaming news and such. If anything, I can see some sort of popular gaming magazine popping up in the future that treats the subject of gaming like music: in-depth features on hits and obscure titles from both the past and the present, gradeless reviews that let consumers know about the actual content of the game instead of saying "the graphics are purdy" or "the controls are wonky" or "the frame-rate takes a hit when there's a million zombies on the screen". Interviews with developers that probe deeper than the standard "tell me about your new game" stuff. Lifestyle features that actually focus on things that gamers are into and not on things some guy in a boardroom thinks gamers are into (i.e. the standard "girls, cars, clothes", etc, there are other magazines for those). Things that make more sense in the print medium and will make compelling reading a year after the magazine has hit newstands. Things that won't be outdated as soon as the magazine gets to someone's mailbox.

We can't just wait for this glorious future to just magically appear before our eyes though. We, the unwashed masses, must take things into our own hands: fanzines need to make a comeback too. Making your own website is nice and all, but, really, a website is nothing compared to something physical you can take into a bathroom. I mean, really, you can take your laptop into the bathroom I GUESS but is it worth the trouble? It is not, unless you really really hate reading off of ink and paper for some fucked up reason.

I'm going to wrap this up real quick before it gets too tl,dr.

Print media is not dead, especially when videogame magazines are concerned. In order for videogame magazines to be profitable, each issue needs to be as compelling a year from its release as it is when it hits newstands. To get people to take notice, independent fanzines must be started with compelling content (possibly outweighing their production value) that rivals, if not betters the content found in mainstream gaming magazines.

I'm willing to take action. Are you?
rexualhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By rexualhealing

Before you start reading, I would like to let you know that this blog contains:

• A semi-epic but not really account of a bowel movement I once made that may or may not have changed my life for the better.
  • Pretentious ridiculousness you may or may not agree with.
  • A call to arms for the salvation of print media which may or may not be overly idealistic.

If this does not sound appealing to you, you should either close out of this page or proceed to the comments section and troll away. Now that I've gotten that over with, let's proceed to the interesting stuff.

Let me start off with a story.

Once upon a time, I was at my friend Tony's house. Our group of friends were doing the usual stuff, watching ridiculous anime I had bought on VHS from Half-Price Books, Taco Bell was probably being eaten, one or more of us was probably not sober, etc, etc. Well, I had to take a shit really bad. My stomach was burning, I couldn't walk, things were uncomfortable. Needless to say, despite the fact that I don't like taking shits anywhere besides my bathroom at home for some reason, I wound up sitting on the toilet in the guest bathroom after a few minutes of flatulence and agonizing abdominble pain. 30 minutes and one nearly clogged toilet later, I was done. The problem was, while I was shitting, I was focused on nothing but the waste being expelled from my colon and pattern on the linoleum floor (it was very minimalist and had a sort of floral hint, in case you were wondering).

Since this incident, I have taken to having some sort of reading material on me at all times. Recent issues of Mojo, Retro Gamer, Houston Press, etc, back issues of old gaming mags, anything half-way interesting, really, just so I don't have to focus on the act of shitting while using the facilities.

You might see where I'm going with this. You might also say that I am making a really weak arguement and just wanted to type a paragraph about a really insignificant 30 minute bowel movement I had about a year ago.

With the recent closure of EGM, many newspapers, magazines, etc, people around the globe are claiming that print media is on its last legs. Online media is the next cool thing, they say, and print media will successfully die out in a few years.

All you have to do is walk into a waiting room of any kind, or go into an airport, or go into a coffee shop, or go into a restroom, or go into anywhere someone has to spend long periods of time doing nothing to see that print media's not dying anytime soon. If anything, it's evolving.

Videogame magazines need to focus on things other than current gaming news and such. If anything, I can see some sort of popular gaming magazine popping up in the future that treats the subject of gaming like music: in-depth features on hits and obscure titles from both the past and the present, gradeless reviews that let consumers know about the actual content of the game instead of saying "the graphics are purdy" or "the controls are wonky" or "the frame-rate takes a hit when there's a million zombies on the screen". Interviews with developers that probe deeper than the standard "tell me about your new game" stuff. Lifestyle features that actually focus on things that gamers are into and not on things some guy in a boardroom thinks gamers are into (i.e. the standard "girls, cars, clothes", etc, there are other magazines for those). Things that make more sense in the print medium and will make compelling reading a year after the magazine has hit newstands. Things that won't be outdated as soon as the magazine gets to someone's mailbox.

We can't just wait for this glorious future to just magically appear before our eyes though. We, the unwashed masses, must take things into our own hands: fanzines need to make a comeback too. Making your own website is nice and all, but, really, a website is nothing compared to something physical you can take into a bathroom. I mean, really, you can take your laptop into the bathroom I GUESS but is it worth the trouble? It is not, unless you really really hate reading off of ink and paper for some fucked up reason.

I'm going to wrap this up real quick before it gets too tl,dr.

Print media is not dead, especially when videogame magazines are concerned. In order for videogame magazines to be profitable, each issue needs to be as compelling a year from its release as it is when it hits newstands. To get people to take notice, independent fanzines must be started with compelling content (possibly outweighing their production value) that rivals, if not betters the content found in mainstream gaming magazines.

I'm willing to take action. Are you?
Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Gameboi

Epic bowel-movement is epic. I lol'd. Anyway, I see what you are saying, but it's going to be mighty hard to turn a periodical into something that commands a ton of respect years later, unless it has nudie pics of a now dead, blond celebrity who was lost during their prime.

Seriously, gamers have the attention span of a young child with ADHD. Most people visit a site, and skim over stuff instead of reading it. I'm sure magazines get the same treatment.  I'd love to have one of those in depth magazines that you speak of, but I'm afraid it wouldn't get enough readership (paying customers) to stay afloat.

rexualhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By rexualhealing
Gameboi said:
"...it's going to be mighty hard to turn a periodical into something that commands a ton of respect years later, unless it has nudie pics of a now dead, blond celebrity who was lost during their prime."
First issue, front page XD
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By RHCPfan24

Wow, that is a good analysis. And a good description of an epic shit. All in all, good blog.  I agree that print is nowhere near dead, as my massive stacks of EGM/Game Informer/Nintendo Power/TV Guide/OXM/Rolling Stone in my closet will attest to. As long as these magazines reach the waiting rooms of the world and use techniques like GI (partnering with a popular chain like Gamestop), they will survive. And, yes, I have to have reading material when I take #2. I can't do it any other way, hehe.

BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By BiG_Weasel

As someone who works for a local newspaper, let me assure you that print is far from dead. I'll tell you why:

It's portable- You don't even need a $300 iPhone to view it
It's trustworthy- When governments, especially local ones, need to record their goings-on, they use the newspapers to print it.
It's historical- Ever try framing a radio or TV broadcast of an historical event (such as the Obama inauguration)?
It's communal- Outside of the 2 mins talk shows take calls, the Op-ed section really shows a community's stance on issues
It's investigative- Every website, cable news network, and morning talk show goes to the newspapers for their stories (AP, anyone?) 

The one thing that the newspaper industry is starting to change is the focus of their "harder" news. They're starting to see that small, local papers (like the one I work for) are thriving and they're not. They've lost their focus on the communities they serve, and are instead aspiring to be another NYT or WSJ.  And those two are failing because they're trying to be the be-all-end-all mouthpiece of mainstream media...and it's not working out for them.
CreamyGoodness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By CreamyGoodness

EPIC

Avatar image for gobiasindustries
GobiasIndustries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By GobiasIndustries

I think the problem (hey Rex!!1!!1! OMG!1!!) with print is that they are going to have to turn away from the whole news breaking thing on games, because the vast majority of people who give a shit about gaming news read things on Kotaku and Joystiq and stuff as soon as it is broken. I don't know how hard it is for print magazines to get exclusives on stuff, but I think if they just turned away from being the news source they try to be, and more toward really good editorials, reviews, and stuff like that they would be a little more successful. Also I forget who was saying this, but magazines like EGM and stuff pretty much relied solely on game companies advertising in their magazines. Everyone knows that doritos, coke, music, movies, and shit like that could all reach a pretty good audience with gamers. I agree that it's not dead but it definitely needs a change in direction.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By pause422

GFW and EGM are gone. Yes, print is dead.