Program to capture older PC games?

SavageManLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I have fraps but it doesn't seem to want to capture FMV games and I haven't tried the older sprite based games to see if it doesn't capture them either. I'm basically looking to start a silly little Youtube channel (no this is not a plug) where I attempt to playthrough old PC games and see how far I get. The modern stuff I can obviously easily capture with FRAPS but it seems like older games don't want to get captured through it.

Are there other programs similar to FRAPS that will do the trick especially for FMV games?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

I just buy one of those large cages you use to catch a skunk or a raccoon, and then stick some peanut butter at the end. Works most of the time.

SavageManLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SavageManLove

@video_game_king:

Huehuehuehue

...but I still don't know how I'm going to capture footage of Phantasmagoria 2 :(

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Fraps is a decent program, but if you're serious about capturing PC footage, you're best bet is really to capture the video feed on another computer using an HDMI capture device. That avoids the performance drops that sometimes accompany programs that run on top of the games like fraps and also allows you to capture anything you want, be that FMV games, the desktop, or whatever else.

ekajarmstro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Try OBS or Xsplit.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

Yeah, use OBS and Stream it to twitch then export to youtube or download. Or just export to file with OBS.

Patchcoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You should check out Bandicam. You can try it for free, but it's a lot like Fraps, so it might not solve your problem. Worth a try, though. Gave up on the PSP bathroom reviews, eh? Well, good luck on whatever you're doing next, duder.

SavageManLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patchcoat:

LOL yeah that Vita/PSP stuff was fun but not something I realized I wanted to do in the long run. It was a great learning experience though. I have a personal vlog channel that I'm definitely keeping and doing for as long as I can. Just talking about random chit on my mind. Still want to do something with gaming but trying to find "it" you know.

Patchcoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Patchcoat

@savagemanlove: Oh yeah, it was Vita focused. I often forget that that thing replaced the PSP. Well, whatever it may be eventually, you should share it with the GB community and try to get it out there as much as possible. As long as it’s video game focused and encourages further discussion, you shouldn't have to worry about getting shit for it being shared on the forums.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

For DOS games, DOSBox can capture video (Ctrl+Alt+F5).

ColonelRick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have fraps but it doesn't seem to want to capture FMV games and I haven't tried the older sprite based games to see if it doesn't capture them either. I'm basically looking to start a silly little Youtube channel (no this is not a plug) where I attempt to playthrough old PC games and see how far I get. The modern stuff I can obviously easily capture with FRAPS but it seems like older games don't want to get captured through it.

Are there other programs similar to FRAPS that will do the trick especially for FMV games?

Not a specific pointer to a capture utility, but you're going to need to avoid software that relies on DX hooks, I suspect, which would probably rule out a significant portion of software capture solution. The only really fool-proof solution is to use capture hardware.

SavageManLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SavageManLove

@patchcoat said:

@savagemanlove: Oh yeah, it was Vita focused. I often forget that that thing replaced the PSP. Well, whatever it may be eventually, you should share it with the GB community and try to get it out there as much as possible. As long as it’s video game focused and encourages further discussion, you shouldn't have to worry about getting shit for it being shared on the forums.

Well for what it's worth I've got the channel up and running and the URL is http://www.youtube.com/user/ClassicGameNoob

Once again, I hope I'm not breaking any advertising rules here.

I've started up a playthrough of Anachronox and will probably do another at the same time of Phantasmagoria 2 or something like that. Something shorter lol. It's been fun so far doing this and just getting a feel for playing and talking at the same time. I don't have a gimmick folks, a schtick or whatever, just a modern day gamer on the cusp of a new console gen deciding to go BACK instead of forward you know. I've been wanting to play these older games for a while now so this felt a right as time as any. I'm not really sure if I will be monetizing videos or even if I SHOULD, even though it went through for the Anachronox videos, I just don't know the rights to doing Let's Plays of older games and copyright issues etc etc.

I've found a way to capture those dosbox running games with OBS AND capture my voice relatively somewhat simple so that's awesome, thanks for the suggestions on that program.

Thanks for your time duders.