This is the truth.

inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By inkeiren

I don't want to start anything, but even though men can multitask, it is more common of an ability in women. It just is.

However, men are better at spatial perception. Of course, all of these differences are relatively minimal when compared to things like genetics and environment. Sex is not as big of a role in capabilities as people make it out to be.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Cirdain
inkeiren said:
"I don't want to start anything, but even though mean can multitask, it is more common of an ability in women. It just is.However, men are better at spatial perception. Of course, all of these differences are relatively minimal when compared to things like genetics and environment. Sex is not as big of a role in capabilities as people make it out to be."
All men can multi-task. But most women think that most men are lazy.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Karmum

Is the general perception that men can't multi-task? I don't seem to have a problem doing it.

Shazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Shazam

I think this whole "men can multi-task thing" was proved when more men started staying at home to look after the children instead of the women. It's just chauvinist females and the older section of society that believe men can't multi-task surely?

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Cirdain
Fragstoff said:
"Cirdain said:
"inkeiren said:
"I don't want to start anything, but even though mean can multitask, it is more common of an ability in women. It just is.However, men are better at spatial perception. Of course, all of these differences are relatively minimal when compared to things like genetics and environment. Sex is not as big of a role in capabilities as people make it out to be."
All men can multi-task. But most women that most men are lazy."
" But most women that most men are lazy." - You need to learn to focus on ONE task, putting together coherent sentences

Men can multitask, just watch the Battle Report #2 vid for Starcraft 2, Good micro is the ultimate in multitasking"
Yeah that was tense.
Oh and I for got the word 'think' it should have been
But most women think that most men are lazy.
Hausdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hausdog

In men, a higher IQ is correlated with more gray matter, which deals with processing instructions.
In women, a higher IQ is correlated with more white matter, which is the connections from one part of the brain to another.
Therefore, women are better multitaskers than men on average.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Cirdain
Hausdog said:
"In men, a higher IQ is correlated with more gray matter, which deals with processing instructions.In women, a higher IQ is correlated with more white matter, which is the connections from one part of the brain to another.Therefore, women are better multitaskers than men on average."
On Average.
Point proven. Also that's a very deep understanding of gender specific differences. But what type of person activly finds or reads these differences unless they did something practical in the medical industry.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By HitmanAgent47

That picture of using the controller is really only one task. It's still complex for most non gamers, however that's the task of playing a videogame and it's not multitasking.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ninjakiller
inkeiren said:
"I don't want to start anything, but even though men can multitask, it is more common of an ability in women. It just is.However, men are better at spatial perception. Of course, all of these differences are relatively minimal when compared to things like genetics and environment. Sex is not as big of a role in capabilities as people make it out to be."
Ruh? The reason women think men can't multitask is because who cares about your gf's/wife's inane ramblings about her day while you're trying to focus on the god damn game.  If she really wanted to talk that's what commercial breaks/halftime are for.
Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Scooper

Oh god, another one of these threads.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Cirdain

Whats the thing on the top right Scooper '128 ACH / 2455 '

inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By inkeiren
Cirdain said:
Whats the thing on the top right Scooper '128 ACH / 2455 '
It's a new feature being implemented into Giantbomb. It links your Xbox and WOW achievements to GB.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Whats funny is people think women can actually multitask when they can't I've seen so many women incapable of doing two things at once, like chewing gum and walking, or talking on their cellphone and driving or hell breathing and driving for that matter.

CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CoverlessTech

What does that have to do with multi-tasking? Absolutely nothing. Actual multi-tasking is impossible.

The human brain is only capable of thinking of and focusing on one task at a time. Some people are really good at switching between things very quickly as to seem like they are doing multiple things at the same time but it is an illusion. They are actually just doing multiple things one at a time very quickly.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By CL60
CoverlessTech said:
What does that have to do with multi-tasking? Absolutely nothing. Actual multi-tasking is impossible.The human brain is only capable of ... [more]
uhh, no...you can focus on more than one thing..
CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CoverlessTech
CL60 said:
CoverlessTech said: What does that have to do with multi-tasking? Absolutely nothing. Actual multi-tasking is impossible.The human brain is only ... [more]
No you can't. The human brain is not capable. Try to say your ABCs and type a completely different message at the same time. You can't do it at the same time. You may be able to switch very quickly between the two tasks as to seem that you are focusing on saying the ABCs and typing your message but you aren't doing both that the same time, you are switching back and forth to each task.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CL60
CoverlessTech said:
CL60 said: CoverlessTech said: What does that have to do with multi-tasking? Absolutely nothing. Actual multi-tasking is impossible.The human brain ... [more]
Just because you are not capable of it doesn't mean others are not, I've had people talking to me while typing to people on MSN at the same time, and yes they were typing and talking at the same. It isn't impossible like you so solemnly think.
Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By Agnogenic_delete
@CoverlessTech: No, I can distinctly do both at the same time. My typing gets worse but I am still doing both at the same time.
dr_nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By dr_nefarious
Cirdain said:
http://www.beingmarcecko.com/blog/2009/4/18/very-clever-who-said-men-cant-multi-task.htmlI was going through the webby award options and stumbled onto this, Marc Ecko's Blog. [more]
Very very true.
CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CoverlessTech
CL60 said:
CoverlessTech said: CL60 said: CoverlessTech said: What does that have to do with multi-tasking? Absolutely nothing. Actual multi-tasking is impossible.The ... [more]
Agnogenic_delete said:
@CoverlessTech: No, I can distinctly do both at the same time. My typing gets worse but I am still doing ... [more]
Guys, it's not a personal attack or anything, it's science. The human brain is physically not capable of actually doing two things at once. You can talk and type in the same instance but you are only actually doing one at a time and switching very fast between them. So fast that is seems that you are thinking about both at the same time and so fast that you may actually be hitting a key and saying a work at the same time but the brain is not actually doing both at the same time, it is simply switching very very fast between the task.

Pick up a psychology book or take some classes at your university if you don't believe me.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CL60
CoverlessTech said:
CL60 said: CoverlessTech said: CL60 said: CoverlessTech said: What does that have to do with multi-tasking? Absolutely nothing. Actual multi-tasking ... [more]
Wow...I'm sorry but this is just a moronic thing to say and it barely even makes any sense. Fact is, not everybody's brain is the same, if you can't do it, doesn't mean other people can't do it.
Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Agnogenic_delete
CoverlessTech said:
CL60 said: CoverlessTech said: CL60 said: CoverlessTech said: What does that have to do with multi-tasking? Absolutely nothing. Actual multi-tasking ... [more]
Yeah, that makes sense. I was just arguing for the sake of aruging. ;)
CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CoverlessTech
CL60 said:
CoverlessTech said: CL60 said: CoverlessTech said: CL60 said: CoverlessTech said: What does that have to do with multi-tasking? Absolutely nothing. ... [more]
Fact is, scientifically, every ones brain is actually the same, it is made of the same tissue and consists of the same parts. Well besides defects that is. It's what you learn and absorb that makes them different. In this case I have learned that actual "multi tasking" is not doable.

"Humans, they say, don't do lots of things simultaneously. Instead, we switch our attention from task to task extremely quickly."
-http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=95256794

I'm not saying we can't switch back and forth fast to make it seem like we are focusing on two tasks at once. I am not saying that you can't be on the phone and a computer at the same time. I am saying we can't focus on more then one of those task at any given instance(a split second), in a fraction of a second our brain can not focus on two simultaneous things.

I am assuming you are quite young so maybe you can't wrap your brain around it quite yet or you simply haven't taken the time or been given the opportunity to learn about this type of thing yet. But it is true. You know how that other guy said his typing slowed down when he was talking at the same time? That's because when he was focused on talking his brain wasn't focused on typing so it was slowing down until he switched focus back to what he was typing. If he kept focus on talking and never switched focus to typing he would have never typed again.

Just try to think of two completely different things at the exact same time. You can't. You can think of something one second then switch a second later(or a fraction of a second) but you can't think of both at the exact same instance in time.
Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Agnogenic_delete
@CoverlessTech: Unless its a case where the brain has been split in half right? One side of the brain could be doing one thing and the other side another?
CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CoverlessTech
Agnogenic_delete said:
@CoverlessTech: Unless its a case where the brain has been split in half right? One side of the brain could ... [more]
Special cases are always great. You're going to have to look into this yourself because honestly I can't remember. It's been a few years since I've taken a psychology course but I think that when the brain is cut you can still only use one side. The only case I can remember doing about split brain was a girl who needed surgery to split her brain but they had to remove half of it and I can't remember if both halves could have functioned while it was split. The two halves do completely different things anyways, so much so that the amount of use you would get out of using half the brain would almost be moot anyways.
IVIorpheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By IVIorpheus

Evidence appears to be solid....

shaun832

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29  Edited By shaun832

You can't deny it!

adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By adam_grif

CLEARING UP MISCONCEPTIONS:

The idea that "women can multitask and men can't" is an urban myth. There is NO truth to it, not one single grain. Not only has there been absolutely no research done on the matter, but it's widely known that human's can't multitask. At all. NOBODY CAN.

To clarify, I am defining multitasking as "concentrating on two things at once". What you can do is "time sharing", where you constantly move back and forth between concentrating on two activites for short bursts of time. This is not multitasking, this is time sharing. It is impossible for a human to concentrate on two things at once. IMPOSSIBLE.

You can perform two activities at once, all humans can. More than two in fact. These are called "automatic processes". You can concentrate on one thing and do another, but you are not concentrating on the other. Familiar, simple or repetitive tasks can be governed by automatic processes. Things like driving your car while you think about something, making a sandwich, these can be automated processes. Playing chess can not.

EDIT:

Must read thread before I post in future.

I would like to thank CoverlessTech for being here to clean up this mess of a thread.

lancer75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By lancer75

Hey, CoverlessTech, I'm not doubting what you are saying, but can you provide me some evidence of this?  I'm interested in Psychology, but I haven't taken a course in the subject yet.  Like...I don't know, evidence from a reputable site (like wikipedia!!) or something?  I just want to see if this is true.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Cirdain
lancer75 said:
Hey, CoverlessTech, I'm not doubting what you are saying, but can you provide me some evidence of this?  I'm interested ... [more]

That messed up
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CL60
CoverlessTech said:
Agnogenic_delete said: @CoverlessTech: Unless its a case where the brain has been split in half right? One side of the ... [more]
Please tell me than, how can I play Rock Band guitar and sing at the same time? How can people sing and play real guitar at the same time? You are wrong on this, face it.
CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By CoverlessTech
CL60 said:
CoverlessTech said: Agnogenic_delete said: @CoverlessTech: Unless its a case where the brain has been split in half right? One side ... [more]
Holy shit kid. You have got to be kidding me here. Go pick up a book. And I did explain why you can do that, adam_grif also explained it. Your brain basically switches between the two tasks super fast.

How old are you? Maybe you're not really old enough to understand. Full books and whole chapters of books are dedicated to the topic among with thousands of hours of research. You really want me to sit here and explain all the fine scientific detail; I mean shit, if you can't understand "your brain switches between the two tasks very fast" how would you possibly understand all the neuroscience behind it? Either way you probably still wouldn't believe me. Go do your own research and you will see, or stay an ignorant troll who spends all day on a message board arguing topics you have no clue about.
Stunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Stunt

The controller has spoken.

Whight_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By Whight_Knight

There was enough proof that time I talked on the phone AND pissed at the same time.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By LiquidPrince

That picture was awesome.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CL60
CoverlessTech said:
CL60 said: CoverlessTech said: Agnogenic said: @CoverlessTech: Unless its a case where the brain has been split in half right? ... [more]
Wow, are you mental? It's clear that when somebody plays guitar and sings they are playing the notes and singing at the same time...especially when you sing and play guitar in rock band.

By the way the definition of multitasking is taking multiple processes and switching between them doing their tasks on a processor in an efficient fashion.

Oh look at that, I'm singing while playing guitar, looks like I'm only doing one thing. "sigh" Multitasking is doing more than one thing at the same time, and you CAN do more than one thing at the same time...I don't give a shit if it's correct if it switches really fast YOU ARE DOING MORE THAN 1 THING AT THE SAME TIME, SO IT'S MULTITASKING YOU FUCKING MORON.
Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Agnogenic_delete
CL60 said:
CoverlessTech said: CL60 said: CoverlessTech said: Agnogenic said: @CoverlessTech: Unless its a case where the brain has been split in ... [more]
No, what he saying clearly makes sense. And plus, you lose by resulting to name calling.
Amorfati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Amorfati

"Women are better at multi-tasking" is an urban myth. It is difficult to do more tasks than one at the same time because concentration and focus is divided; and this applies to all people.

CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By CoverlessTech
CL60 said:
CoverlessTech said: CL60 said: CoverlessTech said: Agnogenic said: @CoverlessTech: Unless its a case where the brain has been split in ... [more]
Wow, anger issues much? What would your mother say if she read this? Also I'll point you to adam_grifs post again

"To clarify, I am defining multitasking as "concentrating on two things at once". What you can do is "time sharing", where you constantly move back and forth between concentrating on two activites for short bursts of time. This is not multitasking, this is time sharing. It is impossible for a human to concentrate on two things at once. IMPOSSIBLE. "

When you're playing and singing "at the same time" you are actually just switching back and forth between doing the two things. You aren't actually focusing at both at the same instance.

You are just trolling now so I'm going to ignore you for the remainder of my lifetime. And since I am not replying to you any more and you are inevitably going to ask why you are a troll; You don't have to be bashing a video game console to be a troll. You are blatantly making accusations and forcing your disproved "logic" about a topic you know nothing about.

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#42  Edited By diz

CoverlessTech - This time-switching idea of yours - I've heard that's how computers deal with information, but have not heard that one's brain runs at a particular speed. I have a fascination for psychology too! Brainwave activity suggests that human thought processes are far more complex than successive processes inside a multi-tasking computer.

You ask people to go and read, or even go to university to learn about your idea, when it would be far easier for you to present some links backing you up. For example, I could include this link here that experimentally describes how different areas of the brain concurrently process different areas of memory (i.e hippocampus and striatum),  by a published professor of psychology. This research would seem to conflict with your view.

I think you are also hazy in defining what a single "thing" is. When driving for example, the brain must comprehend and react to a huge variety of sensory stimulus from both inside and outside of the car. The driver also has to constantly deal with the stimulus and simultaneously transfer it to muliple mechanical outputs to control the vehicle.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By The_A_Drain

The human brain is like a CPU only much much MUCH faster. You can only process one piece of information at a time.

It's like your computer running iTunes and an internet browser at the same time. It isnt running them at the same time at all, just switching between the two rapidly. (dont give me any smartass rubbish about multiple cores. This is assumone one core, like your brain)

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By diz

How do you know this? You supplied no links of your own, or criticisms of the link I included - just a re-statement of the computer brain "fact".

Woudn't you think the human mind far more advanced than a computer processor? Processors never get quicker when repeating the same task again and again, when humans certainly do. Here's an article that talks about automaticity, orthis one that discusses the degradation of function through multi-tasking.

Why is brainwave activity so complex? We are only beginning to understand how the electrical signals swarm inside the human mind. One thing's for sure - multiple neurons can and do fire at the same time in the brain.

If neuroscientists admit they don't know how the brain works and are only scratching the surface, how do you know?

CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By CoverlessTech

You're talking about a completely different subject. Most of this deals with how our brain adjust and interprets information. This function of the brain is what actually leads people like CL60 to believe they are multi-tasking. What I am saying has nothing to do with that. I am saying the brain can't focus on more then one thing(thought if you well) at any given instance in time. Try thinking about a sandwhich you are going to make and think about a story at the same time. You can think of the sandwhich and then think of the story, then think of the sandwhich again and then the story again but your brain can't think and process both at the exact same instance in time. As I write this paragraph there are sounds around me and people talking but I don't fully understand what they are saying because I am focused on writing this, if I switch focus to their talking I will lose focus on writing.

Like I already said, it's possible to do more then one thing at a time, the brain just doesn't focus on both. It's all about automated process and learning. Once your brain becomes accustomed to some task it takes less time to process it therefore you can switch to another task and back again really fast without losing much productivity(for lack of a better word).

Rubbing your belly and patting your head is a good example. If you have never tried it before it is very difficult. But once you train your brain to rub your belly and then train it to pat your head the brain can easily switch back and forth so fast that you can do both at the same time.

The brain is different then a CPU. I not going to say faster or more advance, I believe different is the best term to use in the comparison. Like you said it does learn and it does get faster with repetition, unlike a CPU, that is what allows us to switch tasks very fast.

Agnogenic highlights this when he said his typing slowed as he talked at the same time. He is very well versed in typing and very good at speaking, so he can actually switch between the two very quickly. But with the switching comes some degradation of the task, his brain has to switch focus between the two, if he was truly able to multi-tasks(focusing on two things at the same instance) he would have been able to preform each of the tasks at the same time at the same speed as doing them individually.

I am not saying I know everything about the brain. But
neuroscientists will agree that you can't think of two different tasks at the exact same instance in time.

I guess it all depends on your own definition of multi-task. If it's as simple as standing up and waving your hand at the same time ok but I don't take the term as literal as that.

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By diz

Exactly - If you've been making sandwiches every day for years, you can automate the part of your conciousness that makes a sandwich while focusing on another task while you're making it.

For those not used to making sandwiches, they'd find it hard to deal with sandwich making and another task simultaneously, until they get used to automisation and familiarisation of their tasks. This does not mean that you stop multitasking all of a sudden, once you've mastered sandwich making - you still are making sarnies while being able to process other information too. I don't get where you think repetition proves the sequential nature of conciousness. I think it shows clear evidence for multi-tasking ability.

Neuroscientists and psychologists do say you can multitask, as the three links I've already provided for you should explain. One shows that different areas of the brain process different sorts of information simultaneously! Please lead me to some information from a neuroscientist that prefers your viewpoint.

As I said earlier, the definition of what a task is is also hugely important too, so statements like "no-one can multi-task" seem like you're getting too hung up and literal on the oft-used basic analogy between the brain and a computer. sandiwch making itself,  for example, can be broken down into many various sensory and coordination tasks.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By CL60

Of course I'm going to be angry, you are pissing me off, because clearly what you think multi-tasking is, is completely wrong. Beings as multitasking is is taking multiple processes and switching between them doing their tasks on a processor in an efficient fashion. Yet you seem to not understand that. Because you are a moron who just loves to argue.

It's clear that some people can multi-task and saying something stupid like somebody singing and playing guitar at the same time is just switching really fast between the two is just dumb. Because clearly notes and words can be played at the same time, look at that, multi-tasking. Doing 2 things at the same time = multi-tasking REGARDLESS if you are switching between the two at a fast pace. So just shut the hell up, my god. Actually with guitar/singing you are doing 3 things, singing, strumming and using your other fingers to play the notes.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Cirdain

Oh my God I'm moving my eyes and typing. You know that's 2 different tasks.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#49  Edited By Video_Game_King

*is confused by controller, brain explodes*

CharkeeFarlee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#50  Edited By CharkeeFarlee

Not sure if ive ever doubted that men cant multitask.