Prop 8 has been overturned in California

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By buzz_killington
@Supermarius said:
" @buzz_killington said:
" I really don't know how to feel about this (even though I don't live in California). Even though it sounds archaic, I kind of believe in the sanctity of the word "marriage". "
I think the messed up part is that you are implying that the union of two loving gay people is "unholy". Keep in mind the argument you are using is the same one that was used to deny interracial marriages too. It's really not a valid complaint. "

Maybe my wording was a little wrong. I don't mean that the union of two loving gay people is unholy, as a matter of fact I don't think anything is holy. I don't believe in a higher being. But the word marriage itself, in my opinion, should be exclusively used when referring to union of a man and a woman who love eachother. Homosexuals, and all other loving unions should be called something else.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By ryanwho

Marriage comes with legal rights, denying legal rights to specific groups of people is unconstitutional. That's why "next thing they'll wanna merry goats, slippery slope" is such a goddamn retarded argument. This is about constitutional rights for humans, two consenting adults. A judge had common sense here.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By Lunar_Aura
@Manhattan_Project said:
" @LunarAura said:
" Why is state dabbling on church affairs again? Doesn't the religion conducting the marriage have the final say in its own celebratory rites? Do the churches that marry even support this? I'm not against gays getting married, btw. Marriage is a joke and should go the way of rotary phones, leeches, and other really obsolete things. The only reason it still exists is because of political agendas. "
Yeah there is no way two people are in love with each other that much. Nope. Not possible."

hahah. Yeah, my bad wording there. I just meant that the sanctity of it all has gone to shit given the divorce rates. It might sound bitter, but the numbers don't lie. If only there was a survey for why people go into marriage and why people stay in a marriage. That would be funny to see.
destruktive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#54  Edited By destruktive

Good for them.
Still strange that this kind of stuff still going on.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No Caption Provided
baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By baconbits33
@MattyFTM said:

" @baconbits33 said:

" @Manhattan_Project said:

" @baconbits33 said:

" And the media storm begins.....  HA! lol my gay friend is actually pissed, he doesn't support gay marriage. "
WTF? "
Yeah lol I know it's weird, but he fully supports that gays should be able to be given the same benefits as married couples, but he believes the idea that marriage itself is a religious thing and since religion is against gay marriage, he believes that people should respect religions opinion and just take the benefits. "
But marriage isn't fundamentally religious, it is a tradition which has been adopted by modern religions. Marriage have been around long before any of the modern religions. And marriages were popularized by the Ancient Romans, who were pro-homosexuality and there were many cases of homosexual marriages in Ancient Rome. The "Marriage is religious" argument against gay marriage is complete nonsense. "
My Uncle (also gay), said the exact same thing you said, my friend on the other hand though rebutted by saying that while the Romans may of practiced that, they died out, and modern religion took over, and that is why we call it "modern", say for example: "Get with the times", and that modern religion doesn't accept gay marriage so the idea that your gonna pretend that your marriage with a partner who is of the same sex is condoned by god is simply bullshit since the fact of the matter is that the bible and the church says it's not condoned. He also went on to list all the religions in the world that are against gay marriage....  Then went on to talk about how since modern religion has adopted marriage as a tradition, we should respect their tradition since it's theirs and not yours. Ugh I hated his example but it's the only one that works.... It's kinda like when you inherit a house and well even though your parents wanted to sell it before they died, you still kept it cause you wanted to make it your own, however though someone wants to buy it from you, it's not theirs till you actually give it to them. 
Idk if the example makes sense but... yeah that's the one he made....
Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#57  Edited By buzz_killington
@riffingt0n said:
" @buzz_killington said:
" I really don't know how to feel about this (even though I don't live in California). Even though it sounds archaic, I kind of believe in the sanctity of the word "marriage". "
The problem with this is that the government got its nose in marriage in the first place.  While it's a common bond in a variety of religions, by 'legalizing' it there are things that legally only protect spouses that affects more than some ideal about the concept.  It affects things like taxation, insurance, etc.  So when you deny gay couples the ability to marry in the legal sense, you're discriminating against them in a lot of real tangible ways .  California has the concept of 'domestic partnerships' but you don't have as many rights in that arrangement as you do in marraige, and that's why in some form or fashion, they need to equalize it. "
I do believe that the same laws regarding taxes and inheritance and such should be applied to gay couples as well. All I'm saying is that their union should be called something other than "marriage", but I do understand the problems of creating a different type of legal union that has all the same attributes as marriage, but is exclusive to homosexuals. Then I guess legalizing marriage for homosexuals is a good short term solution.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By ryanwho
@baconbits33:
Marriage isn't a religious tradition, its a legal status. Godless people, satanists, ICP followers, they all get married. Christian marriage is a tradition. Nobody's forcing churches to conduct gay marriage. You uncle sounds fucking dumb.
Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@LunarAura: But how many people 30, 40, or 50 years ago only stayed in marriages because divorcees were looked down upon?
Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Daryl

BlackJedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By BlackJedi

I couldn't say this on gamespot because the mods there are crazy but, I do hope this gets over turned.. If it doesn't then there is no reason for many other things not to happen like a guy marrying multiple ladies  or guys or animals for that matter. This window opens up alot of possiblites that could happen.

HD303

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By HD303

Wait, what?  Why do they get the same marriage benefits as heterosexual couples?  What's the point in that?

manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BlackJedi said:
" I couldn't say this on gamespot because the mods there are crazy but, I do hope this gets over turned.. If it doesn't then there is no reason for many other things not to happen like a guy marrying multiple ladies  or guys or animals for that matter. This window opens up alot of possiblites that could happen. "
Go away.
baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By baconbits33
@ryanwho said:
" @baconbits33: Marriage isn't a religious tradition, its a legal status. Godless people, satanists, ICP followers, they all get married. Christian marriage is a tradition. Nobody's forcing churches to conduct gay marriage. You uncle sounds fucking dumb. "
No my Uncle was the one who made your argument, my friend made the argument against gay marriage.
i69edUrGpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By i69edUrGpa

Good

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By FiestaUnicorn
@Omega said:
"Hey thats good news. We gotta celebrate... Gay sex for everybody!  "

I'm right behind you!
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baconbits33: Have you tried telling your friend to get with the times?
Avatar image for deactivated-5f17af3f88819
deactivated-5f17af3f88819

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FiestaUnicorn said:
" @Omega said:
"Hey thats good news. We gotta celebrate... Gay sex for everybody!  "
I'm right behind you! "
BAHAHAHAHA 

I see what you did there.
jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#69  Edited By jacksukeru
@MooseyMcMan said:
" On the one hand, this is good, but on the other hand, I feel sorry, because I think that homosexuals have been put through enough already without the misery of marriage.   That's right, I'm anti-marriage. Not anti-gay-marriage, I'm anti-regular-ass-marriage.  "
Call me racist, but I'm against russian-martian-marriage. It just feels unnatural, y'know?
TomWhitbrook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By TomWhitbrook
@buzz_killington: We have something called civil partnership here in the UK that is exactly that. It is, to put not too fine a point on it, fucking bullshit. Either people can get married, or they can't. Inventing some new made up rights to stop you having the same ones is still discriminatory and should go the way of stoning adulterers.  The Apartheid regime tried exactly the same thing with the Bantustans and that was equally reprehensible.
baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By baconbits33
@Manhattan_Project said:
" @baconbits33: Have you tried telling your friend to get with the times? "
Hey I support gay marriage, and he is almost always an awesome guy, so I try my best to stay away form these kinds of arguments with him.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By ryanwho
@baconbits33 said:
" @ryanwho said:
" @baconbits33: Marriage isn't a religious tradition, its a legal status. Godless people, satanists, ICP followers, they all get married. Christian marriage is a tradition. Nobody's forcing churches to conduct gay marriage. You uncle sounds fucking dumb. "
No my Uncle was the one who made your argument, my friend made the argument against gay marriage. "
My bad. Your uncle's a standup fella.
Grimjim8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Grimjim8000
@RockmanBionics: oh god....looks like i'm getting a divorce
Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Xtrememuffinman

Awesome. Hopefully this starts a trend.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Lunar_Aura
@Manhattan_Project said:
" @LunarAura: But how many people 30, 40, or 50 years ago only stayed in marriages because divorcees were looked down upon? " 

I don't know but people who base their life on whether others will look down upon them deserve everything they get. 

@ryanwho
said:
" @baconbits33: Nobody's forcing churches to conduct gay marriage. "

Oh, that's good. For a sec there, it seemed like churches would be breaking the law if they don't marry gays. 

manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RockmanBionics: New website: marriagemarriagemarriage.com? Anyone? No? Okay, sorry.
RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By RE_Player1

Good, reading about that all the way here in Canada made my head explode. How can you give people the right to get married and take it away like that? I'm glad it got overturned.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By ryanwho
@LunarAura: People seem to not understand this nuance. Not offering all consenting adults the legal rights of marriage would be unconstitutional. Forcing churches and other religious sites and practitioners to conduct gay marriage would also be unconstitutional.
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baconbits33: I wasn't being entirely serious. I just thought it would be amusing since his stance is basically that.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By ryanwho
@Manhattan_Project said:
" @RockmanBionics: New website: marriagemarriagemarriage.com? Anyone? No? Okay, sorry. "
marriagebatmanmarriage.com
FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#81  Edited By FlyingRat

Always good to hear. Let's hope it stays that way this time.

SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By SSValis

this is FABULOUS!

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Ryax

congrats

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#84  Edited By Meowayne
@Omega said:
"Gay sex for everybody!"
Avatar image for deactivated-608a5477560df
deactivated-608a5477560df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@Manhattan_Project said:
" @BlackJedi said:
" I couldn't say this on gamespot because the mods there are crazy but, I do hope this gets over turned.. If it doesn't then there is no reason for many other things not to happen like a guy marrying multiple ladies  or guys or animals for that matter. This window opens up alot of possiblites that could happen. "
Go away. "
This, even if the things you say do happen it won't happen for quite sometime, not in your life time. You must one of those people that say the legalization of marijuana will lead to increase in harder drugs too...
FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By FlyingRat
@BlackJedi said:
The "Marrying animals argument"? Really...? I thought we were past this.
TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#87  Edited By TheHBK
@one_2nd said:
" @TheHBK said:
" @one_2nd said:
"That sucks. Wtf?! I'm a conservative and for gay marriage.  "
Me am confused.  Anyway, regardless of how you feel, respect the fucking constitution. "
It's an opinion. When the constitution was written they knew it would need changes eventually. Just blindly following a document written hundreds of years ago is stupid.  "

Well if you read what I wrote, your opinion doesn't matter.  It is what the constitution says.  To change something this big you have to change the constitution.  I don't believe the constitution shouldn't be changed.  But the fact of the matter is that you follow what it says now and dont try to fuck around it.  Change it if you want to.  these candyasses didn't so their prop gets put down.  Simple as that.
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheHBK: You should read further into the thread...
TomWhitbrook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By TomWhitbrook
@BlackJedi: You're the crazy one I'm afraid.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By ryanwho
@TheHBK said:
" @one_2nd said:
" @TheHBK said:
" @one_2nd said:
"That sucks. Wtf?! I'm a conservative and for gay marriage.  "
Me am confused.  Anyway, regardless of how you feel, respect the fucking constitution. "
It's an opinion. When the constitution was written they knew it would need changes eventually. Just blindly following a document written hundreds of years ago is stupid.  "
Well if you read what I wrote, your opinion doesn't matter.  It is what the constitution says.  To change something this big you have to change the constitution.  I don't believe the constitution shouldn't be changed.  But the fact of the matter is that you follow what it says now and dont try to fuck around it.  Change it if you want to.  these candyasses didn't so their prop gets put down.  Simple as that. "
Hum slavery.
NTA_Luciana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By NTA_Luciana
@BlackJedi said:
Slippery slope fallacy at its finest, folks.

As a queer person, I am obligated to post in any qeer-centric thread I can find (it's in the contract the LGBT community made me sign), so I'll just say: Dude, yes.
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Lucien_Lachance: What the hell is in your avatar? Its freaking me out.
BlackJedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By BlackJedi
@TomWhitbrook said:
" @BlackJedi: You're the crazy one I'm afraid. "
I am crazy because I am against Gay marriage? lol. Your the crazy one.
NTA_Luciana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By NTA_Luciana
@Manhattan_Project: 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holy_Mountain_%281973_film%29
Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Meowshi
@iAmJohn said:
" @one_2nd said:
" It's an opinion. When the constitution was written they knew it would need changes eventually. Just blindly following a document written hundreds of years ago is stupid.  "
It's more that your sentence makes no sense.  If you're a Conservative that's for gay marriage, then why do you think the Proposition that outlawed gay marriage and annulled all legal marriages in the eyes of the law being overturned is a bad thing? "
Because being conservative entails a lot more than "hating the gays".  There are gay conservatives you know.
TomWhitbrook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By TomWhitbrook
@BlackJedi: You aren't crazy for being against gay marriage. You're entitled to your opinion, bigoted, prejudiced and ridiculous as it may be. You're crazy for suggesting that gay marriage and bestiality are in some way equivalent.
Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#97  Edited By Ace829
@RockmanBionics said:
" @MooseyMcMan said:
" On the one hand, this is good, but on the other hand, I feel sorry, because I think that homosexuals have been put through enough already without the misery of marriage.   That's right, I'm anti-marriage. Not anti-gay-marriage, I'm anti-regular-ass-marriage.  "
Call me racist, but I'm against russian-martian-marriage. It just feels unnatural, y'know? "
That made me laugh. Thank you.
BlackJedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By BlackJedi
@TomWhitbrook said:

" @BlackJedi: You aren't crazy for being against gay marriage. You're entitled to your opinion, bigoted, prejudiced and ridiculous as it may be. You're crazy for suggesting that gay marriage and bestiality are in some way equivalent. "

So being against gay marriage means my views are bigoted and prejudiced, then I would say the same to you. Once the rules are changed, they can be further changed once that door is open, which it is currently. Theres nothing crazy in comparing but you are entitled to your own opinion. In the end everyone has rights no matter how different a person can be.
TomWhitbrook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By TomWhitbrook
@BlackJedi: Sorry mate. I'm a Liberal, so I'll defend to the death your right to hold your opinion. But I'm not some crazy moral relativist sandal wearing hippy, so I can recognise that your opinion on this matter is bigoted and prejudiced, and recognising that isn't morally equivalent. Sorry.
Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Meowshi
@BlackJedi said:
" @TomWhitbrook said:

" @BlackJedi: You aren't crazy for being against gay marriage. You're entitled to your opinion, bigoted, prejudiced and ridiculous as it may be. You're crazy for suggesting that gay marriage and bestiality are in some way equivalent. "

So being against gay marriage means my views are bigoted and prejudiced, then I would say the same to you. Once the rules are changed, they can be further changed once that door is open, which it is currently. Theres nothing crazy in comparing but you are entitled to your own opinion. In the end everyone has rights no matter how different a person can be. "  
You do realize that years ago, you would have been the guy suggesting that blacks and women should not be allowed to vote, because it would open the door for voting pigs and midgets having two votes!  You can't change the rules, even if a significant portion of the population isn't given the same rights as everyone else! 

God bless America. 

I got to say though, you guys aren't really going to convince anyone that you're right by acting like a bunch of weepy vaginas.  Throwing around accusations of bigotry and ridiculous, while correct, isn't really helping your cause.  Just throw logic in his face and hopefully some of it will stick.