• 69 results
#1 Posted by zungerman090 (311 posts) -

Just found a deal on Amazon.de. In total, it comes to about 150 quid (250 USD) with Rayman Origins and Little Big Planet. Do you think it is worth it? My impatience got the better of me and I just ordered. However, I can still cancel it if I act quick. What do you think?

#2 Posted by Kidavenger (3628 posts) -

I've had mine for a few weeks now, I'm happy with it.

#3 Posted by zungerman090 (311 posts) -

@Kidavenger: Do you reckon that the price is right? There are a number of good games I'd love to play, but I am worried about the future. No interesting titles have been announced of late.

#4 Posted by zungerman090 (311 posts) -

Well, I've been charged now. Damn. Too late, I guess. Still, do comment. I am curious about what other people think

#5 Posted by BlackLagoon (1460 posts) -

I've been greatly enjoying mine, PlayStation Plus support has made it especially nice. But I guess it's ultiamtely depends on what games you like, and whether having a portable gaming device is an advantage to you.

#6 Posted by zungerman090 (311 posts) -

@BlackLagoon: What games do you have for it? Also, how exactly does the subscription work? Those free games, can you play them after the month is over? Or is it more of a rental kind of thing?

#7 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (850 posts) -

Not worth it at all in my opinion.

#8 Edited by NegativeCero (3039 posts) -

@zungerman090: I have Assassin's Creed and Persona 4 Golden on it and am enjoying those. I also have PS+, which add everything you really need. I'm also in a good position of having not had a PSP and not many PS1 games, so I have a big library to go through there too. As for the future, I can see how you might be worried. I still think there is time for it to turn around, but as of now there are only a few titiles I'm know about that I want like Soul Sacrifice.

As for how PS+ works, it gives you the games for as long as you are subscribed to it. Once your time is up, you can either re-up or buy those games to keep playing your game.

#9 Posted by BlackLagoon (1460 posts) -

@zungerman090: Once you "buy" a free Plus game in the store, you're free to download and play it whenever you have an active Plus subscription. If you let your subscription lapse, they become locked, but if you resubscribe the become available again.

As for my current collection, well, there's Virtue's Last Reward, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Gravity Rush, Assassin's Creed III: Liberation, Mutant Blobs Attack, Sound Shapes, When Vikings Attack!, Big Sky Infinity, well, and Chronovolt and Resistance: Burning Skies (but those two were kind of meh). Also a bunch of PS One titles and some Minis, and the PSP Persona games. More than enough to keep me busy, and there are titles like Book of Memories I'd get if I had time to actually play them.

#10 Posted by zungerman090 (311 posts) -

@BlackLagoon: What's your memory card's capacity? I am assuming that at least some of those games are off PSN. What is a suitable size?

#11 Posted by lightsoda (542 posts) -

I'm enjoying mine too, for a short break here and there. I had the 4gb memory card at first, but that filled up real fast, so I got the 32gb card for about 800 SEK, for now I don't have to bother with memory and have downloaded a bunch of games off PSN, some heavier PSN/PS1 games average around 1gb+.

#12 Posted by zungerman090 (311 posts) -

@lightsoda: Wow. I am used to electronics being more expensive in UK. The price you paid is a bit higher than the price here.

#13 Posted by Kidavenger (3628 posts) -

@zungerman090: I think the lack of games on VIta is grossy overstated When you compare how many games came out since February last year for other platforms Vita has done well, certainly on the exclusives side, there are more games for the Vita I would play than the 3ds easily and the Vita has had less time to build it's library.

#14 Posted by zungerman090 (311 posts) -

@Kidavenger: Still, when you start looking at the price of games/memory cards, it can really add up. Not sure where you are living, but here a copy of MK9 is 19 quid while in US it is 19 dollars. Yeesh. Still, glad to hear that you enjoy it. What memory card do you use?

#15 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

I've had mine for a while and it was worth it for me. 
Sadly I can't speak for you since it's really something you would know better than anyone. 

With the games out for it and all that extra stuff (memory cards) is it worth it for you? 

Only have like 18 games for it right now but the games collection keep growing and growing(not including the PSN stuff)

#16 Posted by zungerman090 (311 posts) -

@ZeForgotten: "Only" 18? That's quite a number. As long as you think that most people would enjoy at least half of them, I am not that worried. Thanks for your reply

#17 Posted by Kidavenger (3628 posts) -

I have PS+ so I bit the bullet and bought a 32gb memory card, they are gouging on those for sure, but it's not worth the hassle of fooling with a bunch of 4gb cards.

#18 Posted by Slax (962 posts) -
@Imsorrymsjackson

I'm curious if you own one, or are just speaking from outside observations.

I got mine on that Black Friday deal on Amazon for 180 and have been thoroughly enjoying it. Playstation plus is almost a necessity at this point. I also use it to play psp and ps2 games I never played.
#19 Posted by jeff4moso (212 posts) -

I love my Vita and am happy I own one!

#20 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (850 posts) -

@Slax said:

@Imsorrymsjackson

I'm curious if you own one, or are just speaking from outside observations. I got mine on that Black Friday deal on Amazon for 180 and have been thoroughly enjoying it. Playstation plus is almost a necessity at this point. I also use it to play psp and ps2 games I never played.

I do indeed own one, there just hasn't been the right amount of support from Sony for it, Remote Play took so long to come out that I lost all interest for it, shitty web browser and the battery life is not good for me as I take long flights every couple of weeks and it never survives the trip.

#21 Posted by DystopiaX (5360 posts) -

@BlackLagoon: I'm curious about VLR but never played 999, could I skip it or is it really necessary to enjoy the game?

Still considering picking one up for P3P and P4G alone though.

#22 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

@DystopiaX said:

@BlackLagoon: I'm curious about VLR but never played 999, could I skip it or is it really necessary to enjoy the game?

Necessary.

Well, not quite, but it's a visual novel and it's a straight up sequel to 999. There's no point in skipping the first game before the second, especially since they're already working on a third. At least read what the story of 999 is or something on Wikipedia.

#23 Posted by Chaoskiller2000 (296 posts) -

They just need to release more RPGs for it in my opinion. If we got more RPGs it would be worth it (kinda like the PSP). However as of right now the outlook is grim there just is not much coming out and not much out and its almost been a year now since launch.

#24 Posted by BlackLagoon (1460 posts) -

@zungerman090 said:

What's your memory card's capacity? I am assuming that at least some of those games are off PSN. What is a suitable size?

Got a 4 GB bundled with my Vita. Made do with that for a while, but when PS+ support was added I just decided to suck it up and go for a 32 GB and not have to think about memory cards again. It also help thinking about how I was already getting PS+ for my PS3, so it was basically free on the Vita, and the content I was getting would cover the cost of the card in a couple of months.

#25 Edited by BlackLagoon (1460 posts) -

@DystopiaX said:

I'm curious about VLR but never played 999, could I skip it or is it really necessary to enjoy the game?

If playing 999 is an option, you should. If it's not, then you can enjoy the game on its own - several reviewers did that and still gave the game a good score. Some big revelations won't have much of an impact on you, and you'll be spoiled on most of 999, but you should find everything you need to know to understand the plot of the game and the archive files you pick up along the way.

@Chaoskiller2000 said:

They just need to release more RPGs for it in my opinion. If we got more RPGs it would be worth it (kinda like the PSP). However as of right now the outlook is grim there just is not much coming out and not much out and its almost been a year now since launch.

A lot of the PSP RPG stalwarts unfortunately choose to continue developing for the PSP, making the Vita's 2012 RPG lineup rather dire. 2013 is looking a lot better though, with Demon Gaze, Over My Dead Body 2, Teals of Hearts R, Sei Madou Monogatari, and a new Legend of Heroes game already annouced. Now we just need to bug western companies to start localizing them, hopefully XSeed's already started working on this year's Vita RPG highlight - Ys: Celceta Sea of Trees.

#26 Posted by TheHBK (5563 posts) -

Not worth it if you have a PS3 or can get one.

#27 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

Save up your money and buy a gaming PC.*

--

*My opinion is of course incredibly biased as an exclusively-PC gamer.

#28 Posted by BlackLagoon (1460 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

Save up your money and buy a gaming PC.*

#29 Posted by NoelVeiga (1115 posts) -

Yes, it's absolutely worth it.

It's a crappy 5 inch tablet, with its Youtube, email and web browser apps, but it's a pretty nice gaming machine, espeically if you never had a PSP. Sure, there aren't that many Vita titles, but Sony is getting clever about PSP deals. If you missed Persona 1 to 3, Tactics Ogre, Corpse Party or any of the other great PSP JRPGs and you're interested, they look great on the Vita. More importantly, even though people don't talk about it, the Vita actually allows you to map buttons to touchscreen areas. Skipping dialogue by tapping the screen is perfectly possible on RPGs, as is to make menu selections. It's surprisingly good at making most story-driven games into a quasi-iOS experience while retaining the dual stick input. It also allows you to map the second analogue to the face buttons, which means that the few PSP action games that used the face buttons for the camera work surprisingly well as dual stick shooters. PS1 games also work on it.

More reasons? The Vita games are actually not that bad, and there are a couple of all time greats. If you're in Europe, Persona 4 doesn't come out until next year, but Gravity Rush is so worth playing, as are a bunch of other ports. There are also minis and PSMobile games that are worth playing (Lemmings is free and works great on the touchscreen!). And if you have a PS3 there's a bunch of content that carries over, from Wipeout DLC to full versions of Motorstorm RC (which is great) and a few other games.

So yeah, I see why people up to date with their gaming found the Vita lacking in software support at launch, but if you have a backlog of PSOne, PSP and Minis, the Vita is a very cool portable gaming system. It's a shame the sales don't seem to warrant more support in the future, because it deserves it. It's quickly becoming a Dreamcast-level story of hardware injustice. Although, to be fair, a bunch of the reason why is entirely due to Sony's handling of it.

#30 Posted by mwng (956 posts) -

@NoelVeiga said:

If you're in Europe, Persona 4 doesn't come out until next year

While this is true, you can buy the US version from UK amazon, as the Vita is also gloriously region free. So go buy it now!

#31 Posted by MyNiceIceLife (635 posts) -

i bought mine the day it launched here, got about half way through P3P and played a some FIFA for maybe the first 7 months i had it, but since Persona 4 Golden came out it has been the main thing I've been playing.

#32 Posted by NoelVeiga (1115 posts) -

@mwng said:

@NoelVeiga said:

While this is true, you can buy the US version from UK amazon, as the Vita is also gloriously region free. So go buy it now!

That would be true if I was ever going to buy a videogame in a box. I mean, what century do you come from?

Oh, did I mention every game on the Vita is also downloadable?

#33 Posted by mwng (956 posts) -

@NoelVeiga said:

@mwng said:

@NoelVeiga said:

That would be true if I was ever going to buy a videogame in a box. I mean, what century do you come from?

What else am I going to build my fort out of :(

#34 Posted by NoelVeiga (1115 posts) -

@mwng said:

@NoelVeiga said:

@mwng said:

@NoelVeiga said:

What else am I going to build my fort out of :(

I hear you. I live in my game box-built fort and all the shelves are full of game boxes anyway.

#35 Posted by SmasheControllers (2553 posts) -

Got my Vita not long ago and I'm enjoying it. Haven't had a handheld since the original DS Fat and it's nice having something to carry around and play Lumines.

#36 Posted by natedawg_kz (236 posts) -

Almost everyone I know that owns a Vita says it's the handheld system they've always wanted

There isn't a great amount of games for the system but the games that are available have been at a high standard - Persona 4 Golden, LittleBigPlanet Vita, PS All-Stars, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Gravity Rush, Escape Plan and many more including great ports of console games such as NFS Most Wanted, Street Fighter X Tekken, Mortal Kombat.

Also there are still a couple of games to look foward to Killzone: Mercenary, Sly: Thieves in Time, Tearaway.

Though there doesn't seem that there is going to be plenty of close future release. I predict Vita is actually going to be a major of PS4(Orbis), Perhaps every PS4 game will be playable on the Vita.

#37 Posted by zungerman090 (311 posts) -

Just curious whether anyone has a PS+ subscription. Is it worth it? Sure, you get a lot of games, but it means that you have to shell out quite a bit for a large memory card to be able to enjoy them properly

#38 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

I find it a great nostalgia machine for PS1 games, if you enjoy the PS1 style JRPG it's great. Hoping for more PS2 games on it, i feel it could handle it, would love FF X and XII on it.

#39 Posted by zungerman090 (311 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior: Isn't there an FF X HD remake coming out eventually? Man, that game sure takes me back.

#40 Posted by zungerman090 (311 posts) -

@NoelVeiga: Just curious, can I just download Persona 3 directly on my Vita? Or do I need to transfer it somehow?

#41 Posted by NoelVeiga (1115 posts) -

You can't transfer it from a UMD version, that I know of. I purchased it on PSN directly on the Vita, so I don't know if your PSN version from a PSP or PSP Go will carry over or not. If you purchase the PSN version you can download it directly, though.

#42 Posted by zungerman090 (311 posts) -

@NoelVeiga: Cool beans. How big is your memory card? Do you think that 16 GB is enough?

#43 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@zungerman090: Blitzball bitches.

#44 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@zungerman090 said:

Just curious whether anyone has a PS+ subscription. Is it worth it? Sure, you get a lot of games, but it means that you have to shell out quite a bit for a large memory card to be able to enjoy them properly

Well I was going to buy Uncharted for Vita and saw PS Plus for 3 months was like 1 3rd the price and came with Uncharted and Gravity Rush and a few other games too, so I just got that.

#45 Posted by jeff4moso (212 posts) -

@zungerman090: I have a 16GB card and am happy with it. I have a lot of Vita games so I have to transfer them to the PS3 every once in a while, but it's not a huge deal. I can fit several games on the 16GB (8-10) so it works for me.

#46 Posted by zungerman090 (311 posts) -

I guess 16 GB it is. Kinda mandatory if you want to take advantage of PS+, I guess

#47 Posted by NoelVeiga (1115 posts) -

@zungerman090 said:

I guess 16 GB it is. Kinda mandatory if you want to take advantage of PS+, I guess

I ended up buying a 32 on top of my 16 when that filled up. The 32 has everything on it and room to spare, though.

#48 Posted by Chontamenti (153 posts) -

You can download the PSN-Stuff with the PSN-Store on the Vita. so: Yes you can download it directly.

#49 Posted by BlackLagoon (1460 posts) -

@zungerman090 said:

You could manage with just a 4 GB card, but you'd only get 1-2 retail games on there at a time though, so you'd end up having to delete or swap games to a PC/PS3 every time you want to try something new. It mainly depends on how many PSN games you want to carry with you at any one time. And if you're considering Plus, now's the time to bite as there's a 25% discount on a 1 year EU Plus membership currently.

@zungerman090 said:

@Bourbon_Warrior: Isn't there an FF X HD remake coming out eventually? Man, that game sure takes me back.

Apparently it won't be coming out until after the PS3 Kingdom Hearts HD collection, and that doesn't even have a date yet, so I wouldn't expect it in the near future.

@zungerman090 said:

@NoelVeiga: Just curious, can I just download Persona 3 directly on my Vita? Or do I need to transfer it somehow?

Fully supported PSP titles, like Persona 3 Portable, can be purchased and downloaded directly in the Vita PSN store.

#50 Posted by zungerman090 (311 posts) -

@BlackLagoon: Eh. Got a 16 GB card. I think that it will serve its purpose quite well. Some games are up to 3 gbs, so a 4 GB card would be a bit too small. Same goes for 8 GB, I guess. How many games do you have on yours currently?