#1 Posted by narley (289 posts) -

Hey guys. Ok, so I recently got ahold of 2000 dlls, ready to be spent. At first I didint knew what I should buy. A person I know asked if I could lend him 1 grand and that he would pay me back in 3 months with 15% interest every month. So I did. So untill I get paid back that money I can only aford 1 console (cause of other expenses), and I'll probably stick with that one even afther I get paid (maybe).
Anyway. I've thinking about what console I should get. A PS3 or a 360, they both have their great assets. Bluray, good online gaming, great exclusives, movies and so on.
So far the only reason that I would choose one over the other is because a 360 can be as cheap as 199, and a PS3 has bluray wich would go great with my HD tv, but even knowing that, I cant decide.
Can you guys tell me what console you have, and how did you decide wich one to buy. If you have both of them please let me know wich one you use the most and why. Also, Im not even thinking about the Wii because it just doesnt apeal to me, theres only a few games that look kinda cool and I hate having to play a completly diferent version of dead space on the Wii becasue it cant handle the original one.

#2 Posted by ahriman22 (2746 posts) -
@narley said:
" Hey guys. Ok, so I recently got a hold of 2000$, ready to be spent. At first I didn't knew what I should buy. A person I know asked if I could lend him 1 grand and that he would pay me back in 3 months with 15% interest every month. So I did. Until I get paid back that money I can only afford 1 console (cause of other expenses), and I'll probably stick with that one even after I get paid (maybe).
Anyway. I've been thinking about what console I should get. A PS3 or a 360, they both have their great assets. Blu-Ray, good online gaming, great exclusives, movies and so on.
So far the only reason that I would choose one over the other is because the 360 can be as cheap as 199, and the PS3 has Blu-Ray which would go great with my HD TV, but even knowing that  I cant decide.
Can you guys tell me what console you have, and how did you decide which one to buy. If you have both of them please let me know which one you use the most and why. Also, I'm not even thinking about the Wii because it just doesn't appeal to me, there's only a few games that look kinda cool and I hate having to play a completely different version of dead space on the Wii because it cant handle the original one. "
Fixed.

Anywho, to answer your question... I initially chose the 360 all those years ago. Why? Because I wanted, I needed a next gen console. That was the only reason. Then the stupid piece of crap broke and I got rid of it (Warranty was void). I chose the PS3 after that, I chose to get a PS3 and not another 360 because I love my Sony products.

It really depends what you're looking for. Want online play? I would say 360. Exclusives? PS3. Sociability? 360.
I have both now, but I went with the PS3 for the exclusives, fanboyism at the time and Blu-Ray.
#3 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -

360 here. The main draw for me is/was the price. Sadly you get what you pay for....I have had 3rod more times in the past 2 years then any human should ever see in their entire life.

#4 Posted by natetodamax (19212 posts) -

I have a 360 and I love it.

#5 Edited by zombie2011 (4982 posts) -

First of all if you do get a 360 don't get the arcade (the $199 one).

Second what kind of games do you like?

I like the 360 most cause of XBLA and I like Halo. It also got me into RPG's which it has a lot of.
#6 Posted by narley (289 posts) -
@zombie2011 said:
"First of all if you do get a 360 don't get the arcade (the $199 one).

"

Well, I like any good game, metal gear, devil may cry, call of duty 4. I used to have a ps2 back when it first came out. Havent ahd alot of gaming time lately cause of school. but during this summer I plan to make up for lost time. So any good game with fun gameplay and a good story that can last me enough time will be ok.
#7 Posted by ahriman22 (2746 posts) -
@narley said:
" @zombie2011 said:

"
Well, I like any good game, metal gear, devil may cry, call of duty 4. I used to have a ps2 back when it first came out. Havent ahd alot of gaming time lately cause of school. but during this summer I plan to make up for lost time. So any good game with fun gameplay and a good story that can last me enough time will be ok. "
According to those 3 I would say PS3. Metal Gear is an exclusive and playing DMC4 just seems wrong on the 360. COD4 can go either way.
#8 Posted by Sprizmo (347 posts) -

I am a firm believer that all consoles have their part to play in the gaming realm, but to date I'm holding true to the XBox 360. I've found that too many titles released for both systems are lacking graphical polish for the PS3 - which isn't directly attributed to the machines capabilities but more so errors on the developers side. So far it has more highly regarded exclusive titles and I've grown fond of the online community. By the time the PS3 has enough games I really want to play, it will (hopefully) be a bit more affordable.

#9 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

I like both systems a lot. I like PS3's exclusives more than 360's exclusives. But both have great exclusives to offer, just looking at them in general, yea i like what sony has released so far more (its like their games actually grow on you over time and age really well) and what they have coming up. But damn am I stoked for new Splinter Cell and Alan Wake.

#10 Posted by TripMasterMunky (2403 posts) -

I bought 360 first because of online. Yes, it's that important, and yes, it's that much better than PS3's.

#11 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
@Sprizmo said:
" I am a firm believer that all consoles have their part to play in the gaming realm, but to date I'm holding true to the XBox 360. I've found that too many titles released for both systems are lacking graphical polish for the PS3 - which isn't directly attributed to the machines capabilities but more so errors on the developers side. So far it has more highly regarded exclusive titles and I've grown fond of the online community. By the time the PS3 has enough games I really want to play, it will (hopefully) be a bit more affordable. "
if you haven't found anything on the ps3 worth playing, you don't like videogames very much. 
#12 Posted by zombie2011 (4982 posts) -
I would say get the 360 because im pretty sure it has a bigger selection of games (because its been out longer)  and a lot of the great games are cheap as hell now. 
Mass Effect, Assassins Creed, Orange Box, Forza 2, Crackdown, Gears of War, Lost Odyssey, Dead Rising, Ninja Gaiden 2, Bioshock, and DOA4 are all under $20. I think thats almost every genre covered. 

But if you have to have MGS4 then PS3 is your only choice.
#13 Posted by narley (289 posts) -
@ahriman22 said:
"@narley said:
" @zombie2011 said:

"
Well, I like any good game, metal gear, devil may cry, call of duty 4. I used to have a ps2 back when it first came out. Havent ahd alot of gaming time lately cause of school. but during this summer I plan to make up for lost time. So any good game with fun gameplay and a good story that can last me enough time will be ok. "
According to those 3 I would say PS3. Metal Gear is an exclusive and playing DMC4 just seems wrong on the 360. COD4 can go either way."

And what about those horrible thing people say about the xobx not beeing a long term console. Like do I really have to buy the store waranty in case in gives up on me, cause I like taking care of my electronics and I hate having to go through the hussle of replacing something either through the waranty or having to fnd a new one.
I havent heard much about the ps3 in this field but I've havent heard that its the best console either.
#14 Posted by Sprizmo (347 posts) -
@TwoOneFive said:
" @Sprizmo said:
" I am a firm believer that all consoles have their part to play in the gaming realm, but to date I'm holding true to the XBox 360. I've found that too many titles released for both systems are lacking graphical polish for the PS3 - which isn't directly attributed to the machines capabilities but more so errors on the developers side. So far it has more highly regarded exclusive titles and I've grown fond of the online community. By the time the PS3 has enough games I really want to play, it will (hopefully) be a bit more affordable. "
if you haven't found anything on the ps3 worth playing, you don't like videogames very much. 
"
I love em! What you talkin' bout Willis? I didn't say their aren't any games I ant to play on the PS3. Matter of fact, I got a list started.

Metal Gear 4
Little Big Planet
Infamous

Most of the games I can Jam on my XBOX as well so... y'know...
#15 Posted by Bubahula (2197 posts) -

i love my 360, it  has awesome online and a hefty lineup of sweet exclusives

#16 Posted by narley (289 posts) -

Is it true your xbox will break down alot, or is it a rumor.
Does the ps3 have any simillar isues.
All of you guys made me think alot about the games. Good games are a must.
What are the reasons you guys didint chose the other console. Price, games, color. Why.

#17 Posted by zombie2011 (4982 posts) -
@narley said: 
And what about those horrible thing people say about the xobx not beeing a long term console. Like do I really have to buy the store waranty in case in gives up on me, cause I like taking care of my electronics and I hate having to go through the hussle of replacing something either through the waranty or having to fnd a new one.I havent heard much about the ps3 in this field but I've havent heard that its the best console either. "

I think if you get one of the newer consoles made it shouldn't be a problem, I remember hearing that they know what the problem was and they were fixing it in newer consoles. Im thinking if you get the new 60gb models you shouldn't have a RROD problem.

But yeah im on my second 360 it took them like 3 weeks to get it back to me and i haven't had a problem since.
#18 Posted by ShadowKiller (894 posts) -

I'm a 360 guy and I had no troubles with it so far. But the PS3 is also great and it looks like it had some good games coming out so I'd say go with the platform that has the most exclusives that you like.

#19 Posted by Out_On_Bail (1549 posts) -

I have both consoles, and honestly I play them both equally.  It all depends what I feel like playing.  I enjoy having options.  I also enjoy not being limited with the exclusives.  This way I get whatever I want, and hopefully enjoy them all.

But if I had to make a choice, I guess I'd go with the Xbox.  The online is much better, in my opinion.  Sure you have to pay, but remember, you get what you pay for.  Too many times have I been kicked from PSN because of faulty servers.  This -could- potentially be only my problem, but I doubt it is. 

And if you don't plan on going online, there is just more games to choose from on Xbox360 right now.  That will change one day I'm sure, but currently the Xbox has more options.  Remember though, either purchase will make you happy.
#20 Posted by zander1123 (95 posts) -

Well you have two options and you stated most of the pros for each system. One thing you need to understand though is that you cant worry about the price. The 360's arcade edition is basically worthless. It doesnt come with a hard drive, which will run you 80 dollars if you buy it by itself. Also i might be wrong about this but i dont think the arcade edition comes with a mic either, sometime that i feel like is almost needed for xbox live. Also if you go over to cheapassgamer . com you would able to find a deal to make the PS3 cheaper than its 400 dollar price point. So  i would take price out of it.

To me it comes down to a few things, are you a shooter fan, and i mean a major one? because the 360 controller is made for shooters. Also are you a fan of Halo and Gears? cause those and may games that are close to them make up the majority of games on the 360. Also do you have alot of friends who have a 360? if so then i would go with one. the social experience of the 360 is great. its like Aim or MSN but better.

The PS3 on the other hand is home to a more wide varity of games. Stuff like Little Big Planet, MSG4, Uncharted, Ratchat and Clank, InFamous, Flower, Valykia Chronicles. Many games on the PS3 offer different experiences that not many other companies would touch. But take this with a grain of salt, the PS3 online community is barren. With the exception of a few games (CoD, Resistence, GT5 :P, and Warhawk) most games dont really have much of an online community. Also there is no out of game chat, which means you can only talk to people if you are playing the same game as them. The online on the PS is light years behind the 360.
One last point about the PS3, i dont know how much of a fighter fan you are but if you are one and dont want to pay for a fight pad the PS3 controller is 10 times better for fighting games than the 360.

So the decision is up to you good luck.

#21 Posted by narley (289 posts) -
@zander1123 said:
"Well you have two options and you stated most of the pros for each system. One thing you need to understand though is that you cant worry about the price. The 360's arcade edition is basically worthless. It doesnt come with a hard drive, which will run you 80 dollars if you buy it by itself. Also i might be wrong about this but i dont think the arcade edition comes with a mic either, sometime that i feel like is almost needed for xbox live. Also if you go over to cheapassgamer . com you would able to find a deal to make the PS3 cheaper than its 400 dollar price point. So  i would take price out of it. To me it comes down to a few things, are you a shooter fan, and i mean a major one? because the 360 controller is made for shooters. Also are you a fan of Halo and Gears? cause those and may games that are close to them make up the majority of games on the 360. Also do you have alot of friends who have a 360? if so then i would go with one. the social experience of the 360 is great. its like Aim or MSN but better. The PS3 on the other hand is home to a more wide varity of games. Stuff like Little Big Planet, MSG4, Uncharted, Ratchat and Clank, InFamous, Flower, Valykia Chronicles. Many games on the PS3 offer different experiences that not many other companies would touch. But take this with a grain of salt, the PS3 online community is barren. With the exception of a few games (CoD, Resistence, GT5 :P, and Warhawk) most games dont really have much of an online community. Also there is no out of game chat, which means you can only talk to people if you are playing the same game as them. The online on the PS is light years behind the 360. One last point about the PS3, i dont know how much of a fighter fan you are but if you are one and dont want to pay for a fight pad the PS3 controller is 10 times better for fighting games than the 360. So the decision is up to you good luck. "

You make great points. I am into almost all type of games (not so big on fighting games), and I do want to have a good online expirience at some point. I was kinda expecting my brother to buy the hard drive in case I bougth the arcade version, sice he kinda wants a console cause the beatles rockband is coming out. Then again, a ps3 would be so much better as a whole multy media machine with the blu-ray and all. But you've given me something to think about. I guess I wont be getting an arcade version if I do go for the xbox
#22 Posted by sfighter21 (798 posts) -

grew up with sony products in the house so i gues you could say I was prepped since birth, lol.  Yeah, I only own a ps3, and I love it.  Haven't had any problems with it.  Btw, if you do go with a ps3, you have to get Warhawk if you like online multiplayer games!  Its amazing!

#23 Posted by narley (289 posts) -
@sfighter21 said:
"grew up with sony products in the house so i gues you could say I was prepped since birth, lol.  Yeah, I only own a ps3, and I love it.  Haven't had any problems with it.  Btw, if you do go with a ps3, you have to get Warhawk if you like online multiplayer games!  Its amazing!"

I grew up with panasonic products, my dad used to work for them. I used to be a nintendo guy untill I got a ps2, then I got a psp and got sony walkman, so I was thinking ps3, but everyone makes awesome points about both consoles, including the games.
#24 Posted by Bubahula (2197 posts) -

oh and i just remembered, if you have a pc its mad easy and helpful to stream videos or music or any media, it awesome to watch them on your big tv with a 360

#25 Posted by Meptron (1084 posts) -

the 360 is a great system. That being said, I prefer the PS3. It's more of an initial investment but I feel it's better value in the long run.

-You're less likely to need to get the thing fixed
-Online multiplayer is free (this clinched it for me, I don't want to pay a monthly fee)
-No need to pay extra for a add-on device so that I can connect to my wireless network (which is over priced for the 360)
-Controllers come with built in rechargable batteries standard (again, no need to buy another expensive add-on)
-Bluray
-PS3 hard drive can be expanded cheaply with any laptop SATA harddrive (2.5 inch?). The 360 hard drives are once again over priced
-I personally like the exclusive content on the PS3 over that on the 360, although I can certainly see why a person could feel the other way on this

You should make your decision based on how important the above points are to you. I think microsoft is sneaky because they charge less for the system, but they get you after the fact by nickle and diming you. Many of the upgrades and add-ons that I want are over priced on the 360, and it really adds up.

#26 Edited by Cyst (68 posts) -

I say get a PS3 first, because there's a ton of exclusive content coming this year, and I'm not blowing smoke when I say it has a much better exclusive lineup than 360 for 2009, unless MS announces a shit ton at TGS.

But, you should still try to get a 360 in 2010, you could buy an Arcade bundle for $199 and buy an external hard drive for it, for cheaper than a Pro if I'm not mistaken.

I own both consoles [and them some], and I can honestly and proudly say, you're gonna want both eventually.

P.S. And on the topic of reliability, it almost felt like you were joking when you said was the RROD just a rumor, but yes its real and yes you should be afraid of it. The PS3 CAN break through, but its much, much more reliable. I started out with a Wii, but man have the tides turned. I moved quickly to the SeXbox, then after getting a PS3 I get all my multiplatform games on it, using the 360 mostly for exclusives and XBLA.

#27 Posted by Red (5995 posts) -

I have a 360 and a PS3, and I definitely play my PS3 more, despite getting my 360 first. This is partially because I don't really play games with friends online, or care much for shooters, and that my PS3 has backwards compatibility with many PS2 games that I didn't manage to play last generation, but it's really down to your tastes. If you like shooters and playing with friends online, get a 360. If not, then get a PS3.

#28 Posted by narley (289 posts) -
@Cyst said:
"I say get a PS3 first, because there's a ton of exclusive content coming this year, and I'm not blowing smoke when I say it has a much better exclusive lineup than 360 for 2009, unless MS announces a shit ton at TGS.But, you should still try to get a 360 in 2010, you could buy an Arcade bundle for $199 and buy an external hard drive for it, for cheaper than a Pro if I'm not mistaken. I own both consoles [and them some], and I can honestly and proudly say, you're gonna want both eventually.P.S. And on the topic of reliability, it almost felt like you were joking when you said was the RROD just a rumor, but yes its real and yes you should be afraid of it. The PS3 CAN break through, but its much, much more reliable. I started out with a Wii, but man have the tides turned. I moved quickly to the SeXbox, then after getting a PS3 I get all my multiplatform games on it, using the 360 mostly for exclusives and XBLA."

Jajajaj, I really wasnt sure about the red ring of death beeing an actuall problem, no joke, honest.
Do you think I'd be ok with in a year If I get a "SeXbox", or do I have to go for the ps3 if I want to forget that issue.
#29 Posted by Cyst (68 posts) -
@narley said:
Jajajaj, I really wasnt sure about the red ring of death beeing an actuall problem, no joke, honest.Do you think I'd be ok with in a year If I get a "SeXbox", or do I have to go for the ps3 if I want to forget that issue. "
You know, honestly, I'm not sure if RRoD will be gone in 2010. I sure hope so. Maybe by the time the "new" Xbox Natal comes out it will be. But, I know its a big problem even today, so I can't really say if it'll be gone or not.

Me personally, since my first 360 broke [I'm currently on my 2nd], I haven't had any problem with it failing or anything, but honestly, I don't play it enough to have it die on me. So to answer your question, it seems like the PS3 is the "for sure" answer, because its the one I can almost guarantee won't break on you.

But get the warranty just to be safe.
#30 Posted by jokingknight22 (39 posts) -

Depends...360 has good exclusives that play well on the mutiplayer.  The exclusives on PS3 are mostly single player but are fantastic (Uncharted, InFamous, etc...can't wait for Uncharted 2).  I have both and and am glad I do.  But, if you are gonna play alot of online, i would say 360.

#31 Posted by teh_destroyer (3569 posts) -

I love my 360, but it doesn't have Uncharted or Panic Trash :(

#32 Posted by Commando (1878 posts) -

I've never played a PS3, except the display units. No one I know has one. I love the 360. It's by far my most played console.

#33 Posted by narley (289 posts) -
@Commando said:
"I've never played a PS3, except the display units. No one I know has one. I love the 360. It's by far my most played console. "

Ur right on that. I dont know alot of people who have PS3s, and people who do have'em seem to not be able to lend and borrow games as ofthen as 360 owners do.
Then again, the ps3 owners that I know brag alot about how awesome thei console of choice is. So who knows, maybe it is that cool.
#34 Posted by Leopard (108 posts) -

I got the 360 back then when it was launched, and didn't regret it. Game selection is more interesting for me, mainly because of Halo and Forza Motorsport. If it was today I wouldn't buy it, since I barely play videogames anymore.

#35 Posted by WitchHunter_Z (882 posts) -

I've got a PS3 and I love the thing, the multimedia functions on it blows the 360 out of the water, so you really don't need anything  else hooked to the TV [barring other consoles/ satellite TV box]. The online is pretty much exactly the same as on the 360, only free, so don't be put off by those who say the online is terrible.
Biggest factor is which console has the right exclusives for you really, so make a list of the exclusives your interested in and pick through that, as multi-platform releases rarely have any differences between the two versions, and even if they do they're barely noticeable at all. Although sometimes the 360 seems to get the multi-platform releases a little sooner than the PS3 release for whatever reason.
Another thing to consider is what your friends have, as you'll surely want to play with them online, where I live most have a 360 [although I ended up getting a PS3 anyway] but that may be different where you live.

#36 Posted by Einherjan (592 posts) -

I can't say which one is better for me. I haven't really used the PS3 yea, and all my friends have a 360. I am most likely going to get a PS3 if it ever drops in price.

#37 Edited by Jeust (10736 posts) -

For me the xbox 360, for all the reasons above plus it can play regular xbox games.

In the ps3 you have generally a hard time to play ps2 games if you can at all.

But keep in mind that the price of the games in the ps3 are generally 10 dollars cheeper and with free online, if you invest a lot in games and in internet it will eventually come out cheeper.

If you tend to use the console for more than playing games with all the features in the ps3 it can become cheeper, because in the xbox you could have to get some periphrals.

If you tend to stick to gaming generally the 3rd parties' games are equal if not best on the xbox360, and the exclusives shine in the ps3.

But the xbox 360 has also great exclusives like fable 2, forza, halo 3, ninja gaiden 2... And many games that only are released for pc and xbox, like left 4 dead, half life orange box, mass effect 1...

Also the red ring of death, in the latest model of the xbox360 (jasper) is said to be much less likely than in the previous (falcon) model. 

#38 Posted by zombie2011 (4982 posts) -
@Jeust said:
"

But keep in mind that the price of the games in the ps3 are generally 10 dollars cheeper 

"
They are all $60 aren't they new releases at least.
#39 Edited by Jeust (10736 posts) -

@zombie2011:

ahhh yes... i got it wrong because there is in my country an "extra" tax for videogames that sony doesn't add to retail price... >_>

thanks for clearing it up!

#40 Posted by gla55jAw (2692 posts) -

I've got both. Let me put it this way, I have 15 360 games and 1 PS3 (MGS4). Blu rays are pretty much what my PS3 is for. All my friends have Xbox live and even though it costs money opposed to the playstation network it is superior with party chat, XBLA and more.

Other than MGS4 the 360 exclusives are superior to the PS3s. Once you start using the 360's controller you'll never want to go back to another controller (with the exception of fighting games, the dualshock is superior there although I've gotten used to the 360 controller for Street Fighter). And netflix is awesome.

I would really recommend a 360 over a PS3, even though Blu Rays are nice (they're still way too expensive) the 360 wins in every other category for me.

#41 Posted by gla55jAw (2692 posts) -

Oh and also make sure you get the 360 that comes with a HDD if you decide that way. You really need it. My 20gig is filled, I need to upgrade.

#42 Posted by Leopard (108 posts) -
@gla55jAw said:
" Oh and also make sure you get the 360 that comes with a HDD if you decide that way. You really need it. My 20gig is filled, I need to upgrade. "
I think all 360s come with HDMI now.
#43 Posted by Jeust (10736 posts) -

@Leopard:

he meant a hard drive. 

#44 Posted by ahriman22 (2746 posts) -
@Jeust: You don't have that backwards compatibility problem anymore in either.

AND THEY'VE GOT FRIGGING FFVII ON THE PS STORE. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD!
#45 Posted by Jeust (10736 posts) -
@ahriman22 said:
" @Jeust: You don't have that backwards compatibility problem anymore in either.AND THEY'VE GOT FRIGGING FFVII ON THE PS STORE. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD! "
really? i thought that they stopped updating the compatibility software. It was anounced...