• 84 results
#1 Posted by scalpel (314 posts) -

It seems that every staff member uses this word as if it mean "basically". At first I thought it was just Ryan messing around (as he is wont to do), but hearing the others use it with zero irony makes me wonder. I think I might at some point even have seen it blatantly misused in one of Patrick's articles.

Here is the actual definition, courtesy of Google:

os·ten·si·bly

/äˈstensiblē/

Adverb
Apparently or purportedly, but perhaps not actually: "portrayed as a blue-collar type, ostensibly a carpenter".

Now you know.

#2 Posted by Kidavenger (3378 posts) -

So basically the same thing then?

#3 Posted by HerbieBug (3838 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

So basically the same thing then?

AAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH! D:

#4 Posted by jozzy (2041 posts) -

No, ostensibly the same thing, but not actually the same thing. So actually something basically different.

#5 Posted by TheHumanDove (2394 posts) -

That's ironic!

#6 Posted by Video_Game_King (34576 posts) -

@jozzy said:

No, ostensibly the same thing, but not actually the same thing. So actually something basically different.

Really? Totally.

(That....that probably wasn't the right choice of words for this joke, was it?)

#7 Posted by Hosstile17 (747 posts) -

@TheHumanDove said:

That's ironic!

I don't think you know what that word means.

#8 Posted by Nentisys (880 posts) -

Ryan and Patrick are really bad about using words when they don't even know what they mean.

#9 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

Okay, show of hands: Who didn't know that?

Those people win a trip to the sun.

#10 Posted by Kidavenger (3378 posts) -

@Hosstile17 said:

@TheHumanDove said:

That's ironic!

Better make a PSA then, nip this in the bud.

#11 Posted by casper_ (882 posts) -

@Hosstile17:

*your'e

#12 Posted by jozzy (2041 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

@Hosstile17 said:

@TheHumanDove said:

That's ironic!

Better make a PSA then, nip this in the bud.

Damn you, I always thought it was "in the butt" (way hotter too) and was going to be all internet wise guy about you needing a PSA on nipping butts. But apparently this saying has nothing to do with rear ends but all to do with plants.

In my defense, English is not my first language.

#13 Posted by MooseyMcMan (9723 posts) -

So they ostensibly mean the same thing?

#14 Posted by Flappy (2032 posts) -

Isn't that literally the same thing?

#15 Posted by Kidavenger (3378 posts) -

@jozzy: this should clear things up

#16 Posted by Mento (2252 posts) -

When one of the Bomb Crew say "ostensibly" they usually use it to mean "by all appearances" or "on first impression", and sometimes what they're talking about is just like how it first appears and sometimes it isn't (they generally go on to say which). It doesn't necessarily follow that if you say something is "ostensibly like X" that it isn't actually like X really - all that's implied is that the possibility that it isn't what it seems exists. That would be more specious than ostensible, anyway, if you wanted to use less ambiguous terminology.

I guess they could use "superficially" instead (and probably do) but... I dunno, does it sound as good? Is it as widely applicable? Semantics are a bitch.

#17 Posted by Mento (2252 posts) -

Man, I can't even read what I just wrote without getting a headache. Never mind. They're ostensibly using ostensibly correctly.

#18 Posted by granderojo (1772 posts) -

Indubitably.

#19 Posted by jozzy (2041 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

@jozzy: this should clear things up

This guy seems to enjoy a little butt nipping now and then.

#20 Posted by Splodge (704 posts) -

This is actually quite pedestrian.

#21 Posted by EchoEcho (807 posts) -

@Nentisys said:

Ryan and Patrick are really bad about using words when they don't even know what they mean.

I feel like kind of a dick for pointing a finger at them, but yeah.

Used to rub me the wrong way when Ryan (and occasionally Patrick) would get on Will Smith's case for pronouncing a word incorrectly now and then, when the two of them are way worse about vocabulary.

#22 Posted by MikkaQ (10224 posts) -

@Splodge said:

How droll.

#23 Edited by Pr1mus (3512 posts) -

Yeah i'm not one of those crazies who will complain about the use of the word itself but i noticed that Patrick uses it to mean something else pretty often.

Like in today's Sly Copper quick look. "I'm playing this for the platforming ostensibly."

Wat? Are you or are you not goddammit!?

#24 Posted by BirthWild (252 posts) -

there is a lot of feuilleton going on here.

#25 Posted by casper_ (882 posts) -

ergo

#26 Posted by FLYmeatwad (154 posts) -

I get this upsetting people because at times it bothers me too, but I think the more widespread problem (big on the Bombcast, and more so the nation, perhaps even world but I can't really speak for outside the US) is the use of the term "based off" which means exactly the opposite of what people tend to mean.

That Aliens: Colonial Marines game is based on the Aliens movie, not based off the film. To say that it is more like Independence Day would be pretty off base. The 'base' is something that is built upon as much as it is a makeshift sports metaphor here, so if one is basing something off of a pre-existing story or franchise, then one would actually be creating something new entirely. There's a disconnect between based off, while based on implies a connection that is generally implied when a movie is based on a book.

#27 Posted by jsnyder82 (679 posts) -

They're so close that it doesn't matter.

#28 Posted by TheHT (10248 posts) -

Ostensibly is just such more visceral verbiage.

#29 Posted by Kerned (1168 posts) -

@FLYmeatwad: that really bases me off

#30 Posted by Veektarius (4131 posts) -

@FLYmeatwad said:

I get this upsetting people because at times it bothers me too, but I think the more widespread problem (big on the Bombcast, and more so the nation, perhaps even world but I can't really speak for outside the US) is the use of the term "based off" which means exactly the opposite of what people tend to mean.

That Aliens: Colonial Marines game is based on the Aliens movie, not based off the film. To say that it is more like Independence Day would be pretty off base. The 'base' is something that is built upon as much as it is a makeshift sports metaphor here, so if one is basing something off of a pre-existing story or franchise, then one would actually be creating something new entirely. There's a disconnect between based off, while based on implies a connection that is generally implied when a movie is based on a book.

I believe you are incorrect. 5 seconds of internet research confirm my opinion that 'based off' is a formally incorrect colloquialism that's synonymous with 'based on'. Please rebut this claim with a link and/or quote from a credible source (my source is not credible)

#31 Posted by VoshiNova (1594 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

@Splodge said:

How droll.

Indeed, droll.

#32 Posted by devilzrule27 (1235 posts) -

This is dumb.

#33 Posted by Quarters (1547 posts) -

Vis a vis, it seems you all have the gist of it.

#34 Edited by Kerned (1168 posts) -

@devilzrule27 said:

This is dumb.

Speaking of words that I'm tired of hearing used a particular way...

#35 Posted by Benny (1936 posts) -

@Kerned said:

@devilzrule27 said:

This is dumb.

Speaking of words that I'm tired of hearing used a particular way...

Plus, the bomb crew already acknowledged the over-use of 'dumb' because it's become a cop-out word for them to get around justifying why they like a goofy thing, or why they dislike a stupid thing without going into further detail.

#36 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1346 posts) -

This is literally killing me.

#37 Posted by papercut (3352 posts) -

Inglish iz hard guys. That's for clearing that up though.

#38 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (913 posts) -

Ok everyone, whip out your diction, lets see whose is bigger.

#39 Posted by HatKing (5557 posts) -
#40 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1123 posts) -

For all intensive purposes

#41 Posted by FLYmeatwad (154 posts) -

@Veektarius: I'll see what I can find. The collegiate classes I took where I had to write papers had professors specify that "based off" was not correct. I'm not sure if it's in Strunk and White or whatever, but googling some college websites led me to this (I went to TCNJ, not WSU, if that means anything) and some Mirriam-Webster thing that doesn't say it's wrong just frowned upon (not that it matters what they say, OED for life!). Certainly "off of" (as most use it) creates a needless preposition. "I jumped off the building" is simpler, cleaner, and quicker than "I jumped off of the building."

Using two prepositions back to back is not improper (though I imagine the "off base" part does make a good deal of sense and I would need to look at a few grammar rules and linguistic history to really prove that it's incorrect), but it seems that the definitions do clash with one another.

That said there's the case to be made that language is constantly changing (it is), and as long as we understand what another person means/usage becomes common enough then prescribed codes become even more irrelevant (they do/are). So really it doesn't matter if I say "I spoke to my friend" or "I worked to my friend" if the majority of people understood "work" to mean the same thing as speak rather than what work is generally accepted to mean, regardless of any fixed definitions.

#42 Posted by familyphotoshoot (651 posts) -

I hole-hardedly agree, but allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go. Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the facts. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it’s a peach of cake.

#43 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (1854 posts) -

@familyphotoshoot said:

I hole-hardedly agree, but allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go. Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the facts. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it’s a peach of cake.

I was going to pick and chews my favorite parts, but everything hear is just suspended.

#44 Posted by Dagbiker (6898 posts) -

Words only have meaning because people give them meaning.

Decimate literaly means reduce by one tenth, but no one actualy uses it like that.

Also people add suffexes and prefexis onto words to make Nouns and Verbs all the time.

People also create new words, or create new meanings for words.

So fuck grammer because as long as you understand my sentance it does not matter that i did not spell check this shit, nor dose it matter that I didnt capitalize every I. Because you understood it.

#45 Posted by Sanj (2229 posts) -

@familyphotoshoot said:

You smashed the nail on the face.

#46 Posted by I_smell (3926 posts) -
@familyphotoshoot said:

I literally laughed my ass off.
#47 Posted by Nev (534 posts) -

Words are for birds, ya heards?

#48 Posted by Mirado (948 posts) -

@EchoEcho said:

@Nentisys said:

I feel like kind of a dick for pointing a finger at them, but yeah.

Used to rub me the wrong way when Ryan (and occasionally Patrick) would get on Will Smith's case for pronouncing a word incorrectly now and then, when the two of them are way worse about vocabulary.

Malapropisms and solecisms are so rampant in today's conversations that I don't even waste my time correcting anyone.

It's bothersome, but I'd rather just nod my head and have the..."necessary corrections"...handled by those who aren't adverse to being abandoned and drinking alone.

#49 Posted by BisonHero (5655 posts) -

@Nentisys said:

Yep.

Brad is the opposite, and seems to have made an effort to retain his university learnin', and knows how to properly use some more uncommon words.

Vinny and Jeff just use everyday vocabulary, and don't try to use fancy words they don't understand. They know they're awesome, and have nothing to prove.

#50 Posted by believer258 (11035 posts) -
@familyphotoshoot

Fucking brilliant. You deserve a standing ovation.