• 109 results
#1 Edited by McGhee (6075 posts) -

Even my grandma has heard of Gangnam Style at this point. I actually liked the song and MV . . . for a little while. It then obviously wore thin. When you can hear a Korean song played on the radio at a small gas station where bikers and other long-bearded hillbillies stop to get beer before they go up into the mountains of Tennessee, then you know you've become over-saturated. So I've been interested to see how Psy would try to match it because I'm sure even he knew he could never again top Gangnam Style, (possibly the most watched video in internet history?).

So here is his new single, "Gentleman."

You will again notice some faces from Gangnam Style, most notably the guy in yellow, who is Korea's most famous and loved MC and comedian Yoo Jae Suk and the "elevator guy" Noh Hong Chul, also a MC and comedian. Now Psy has added a couple more including HaHa at 0:25, a comedian and musician (the man that is almost single-handedly bringing reggae to South Korea). HaHa is part of the variety show "Infinity Challenge" along with Yoo Jae Suk, a couple other members of that show can also be glimpsed here. Basically Psy is packing as much celebrity power into the MV for the Korean audience as he can find.

This is where I come to Gain, the main lady in the MV, and the hip/butt dance that can be seen in the MV. How does one try to match the popularity of the horse dance of Gangnam Style? I guess his answer was to just copy an already famous dance from Kpop, the sexy dance from the amazing 2009 song "Abracadabra" by Brown Eyed Girls, whom Gain is a member. "Abracadabra" is one of the greatest dance songs ever written and the sexiness and charisma of BEG combined with that hip dance became a craze in South Korea. To me, Psy is nothing compared to BEG. BEG is the best all around vocal girl group in Kpop and has Miryo, the best female rapper in all of Korea (although you won't see them really display those abilities quite so much in "Abracadabra," but search out "Sixth Sense" for a more representative song for what they can really do).

As to the song "Gentleman" itself I think it's not bad. It is catchy enough. I would say it is better than most of Psy's other songs. You can just tell that the damn thing was picked over to the point of stripping out anything that gets in the way, making it as simple as can be. The word is that the song has been re-written over 30 times, surprising when you listen to it. It's not bad. I just feel that Psy is playing it a little safe.

Overall, the song is better than the MV that is carrying it. The MV is doing exactly what Gangnam Style did, lots of weird dudes standing around with shots of Psy being a creep toward different women. The best part to me is when he encounters the always enchanting Gain and she gives him some of his own medicine. But all-in-all I think what I really want is some more Brown Eyed Girls.

The song gets a 3/5 stars and the MV gets 2/5.

What do you all think? Will this song and MV live up to the hype? Will it at least get a respectable reception around the world or was Psy's history's biggest one hit wonder?

#2 Posted by believer258 (12176 posts) -

I don't think Gangnam Style was the kind of thing you can do over and over, no. I think people thought it was funny for a little while... and then stopped caring. I'm just guessing, but I'd say that very few people actually cared to dig deeper into his discography, they just found something to laugh at and then moved on.

#3 Posted by BisonHero (7021 posts) -

Are his pants some sort of formal attire in Korea? I've just never seen suit or tuxedo pants where the crotch is that crazy low, though what do I know.

#4 Posted by McGhee (6075 posts) -

Are his pants some sort of formal attire in Korea? I've just never seen suit or tuxedo pants where the crotch is that crazy low, though what do I know.

No, I think that's just Psy being weird.

#5 Posted by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -

Hasn't he been doing this stuff for awhile? Why would he stop now that he's mainstream in the states?

#6 Edited by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

It doesn't have the same beat at Gangnam style, which is what made 99% of America fall in love with it despite not understanding a single word. This won't catch on the same way.

But who am I to say. They'll probably have it on the morning news or afternoon talk show and people will be all like "hey it's that gundam chinese guy doing music again! Lookit that ma!"

#7 Edited by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

Well the brought back the yellow suit dude, so I'm happy. That guy was the best part of Gangnam Style. Oh and the double "fuck you" with the lady and chair was pretty excellent. The song itself was okay, but I don't really like Korean dance music too much.

#8 Posted by Marokai (3140 posts) -

Obviously it's not going to be as popular or influential, how could it possibly be? It's perfectly entertaining and fun to listen to, though; it doesn't mean he's become some sort of horrible has-been. Lordie.

#9 Edited by McGhee (6075 posts) -

@marokai said:

Obviously it's not going to be as popular or influential, how could it possibly be? It's perfectly entertaining and fun to listen to, though; it doesn't mean he's become some sort of horrible has-been. Lordie.

I'm not saying that at all. Psy has been big in Korea a long time and will continue to be. The question is whether or not the rest of the world will continue to care.

#10 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1213 posts) -

Is the chorus to this song "I'm a mother fucking gentleman"? Because that's what kept running through my head when I heard it.

#11 Edited by Turtlebird95 (2603 posts) -

At least Gangnam Style was kinda catchy. That... not at all. The hot Korean women were the only redeeming parts of that video.

#12 Edited by McGhee (6075 posts) -

Is the chorus to this song "I'm a mother fucking gentleman"? Because that's what kept running through my head when I heard it.

That is an interesting point. He's actually saying "I'm a mother, father gentleman." But he wants you to think he's saying "mother fucking gentleman." But you can't say that in Korea and not have your song and MV blocked from broadcast. He's aware of the fact that many around the world heard "Oppan Gangnam Style" as "Open Condom Style" and he's taking advantage of it. He's cussing without cussing.

#13 Posted by JacDG (2130 posts) -

@mcghee said:

@bisonhero said:

I don't know about that, I saw a teenager wearing the same style of pants just last week, I think they might be/are going to be "hip".

#14 Edited by Krullban (1062 posts) -

@jacdg said:

@mcghee said:

@bisonhero said:

I don't know about that, I saw a teenager wearing the same style of pants just last week, I think they might be/are going to be "hip".

Justin Beiber started wearing pants like that too. So that's probably why the teenager was wearing them.

#15 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6309 posts) -

I expected this dude to suffer the same fate as the Macarena guys, but I actually love this beat and think it's more catchy than Gangnam Style. Wish I had an instrumental version.

#16 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1213 posts) -

@mcghee: That crafty bastard!

Thanks for explaining.

#17 Posted by Dalai (7069 posts) -

And that ends Psy's run in North America. Pack it in, boys.

#18 Edited by eskimo (481 posts) -

FUCK

THIS

SHIT.

#19 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4700 posts) -

I think bringing back the yellow suit and elevator dude is lazy but this is okay too. Clearly wont be a big and Gangnam style. That had to be a fluke.

#20 Posted by Demoskinos (15131 posts) -

Song isn't bad... although I'm partial to Hyuna myself..... >_>

#21 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (3776 posts) -

Mm. I liked it. You could probably do some good mixes off of this.

#22 Posted by Chaser324 (6739 posts) -

The song and music video are both lacking the sort of hooks that I think contributed to Gangnam Style catching on in such a massive way.

#23 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -

I'm partial to Hyuna myself..... >_>

Well who isn't. Crazy people, that's who.

---

Gentleman is not a particularly great song but I like the simplicity of it. I think that it was expected that they'd stick too close to Gangnam Style for the follow-up so no surprises there. The song is fine, the video is fine, I don't see it getting anywhere near the views that the other video did though. Still, if Psy retains a fraction of a fraction of the people who enjoyed Gangnam Style then he'll still be ridiculously successful.

#24 Posted by Reisz (1527 posts) -

@krullban said:

@jacdg said:

@mcghee said:

@bisonhero said:

Justin Beiber started wearing pants like that too. So that's probably why the teenager was wearing them.

They're Harem pants, old Indian style from way back, I'm surprised you guys don't recognise them, same sort of thing MC Hammer wore in the video for Can't touch this.

#25 Posted by MentalDisruption (1670 posts) -

I liked it and can see myself adding it to my shuffle sometime in the future. Music video made me smile in a few spots too, so I don't have any complaints about it being largely the same idea as what was going on in gangam style. I'm not too picky when it comes to this stuff though. Mainly because I don't really care beyond whether or not its a song I can enjoy listening to. I doubt he'll ever beat gangam style in popularity, but that is not really a realistic goal to begin with. I'll be content as long as he keeps putting stuff out that is at least somewhat catchy.

#26 Edited by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

Here's what I did: I pretended I wasn't familiar with Gangnam Style and wanted to see whether it will be fun and lightly humorous to watch the same way Gangnam Style was when a thread on these very forums showed it to me..

The music is just as catchy but this time around he clearly is being a cocky dick in the video, as opposed to how hilarious he was in Gangnam Style. Obviously he thinks he's smashing now, so the video was actually gross and lame.

Anyway it was interesting to read your post. That Abracadabra video man.. is it me or is South Korea dying to be United States 2.0?

#27 Edited by Nictel (2433 posts) -

I think this proves more than anything that the world community needs to protect South Korea from North Korean aggression :P

Oh Kpop is such a guilty pleasure

#28 Edited by Butano (1786 posts) -

The song's pretty neat to listen to, the video though....I feel he put more time into Gangnam Style than he did this (though it appears that there are more locations I guess, so IDK for sure). Obviously not gonna be as big as Gangnam Style.

#29 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2222 posts) -

Goodbye, Korean Sisqo.

#30 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -

@nictel said:

I think this proves more than anything that the world community needs to protect South Korea from North Korean aggression :P

If we have to nuke North Korea to keep Hyu- ...I mean, South Korea safe then I am all for it. Bomb them back to the Stone Age, we'll be greeted as liberators, etc etc, whatever you need, let's do this.

#31 Posted by Gamer_152 (14109 posts) -

Well, there was no way he was going to top Gangnam Style. There are some interesting things about this song and music video, but ultimately it seems kind of meh to me.

#32 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

Oh man, this has the same bridge-chorus transition exactly.

Obviously, it's not as good, and it's a boring song, but holy shit is this similar as hell. There was no way Psy could do a good follow up with how much of a crazy fluke Gangnam Style was, but he's clearly not even trying.

#33 Posted by mellotronrules (1244 posts) -

Well, there was no way he was going to top Gangnam Style. There are some interesting things about this song and music video, but ultimately it seems kind of meh to me.

totes. as genuinely heartwarming the success of 'gangnam style' was...that was a one-time deal. this new one is too derivative and self-aware to recreate that cultural phenomenon. still respect to psy however for crossing so many cultural divides...it's still kinda amazing when you think about it.

#34 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3923 posts) -

Catchy enough song, the video isn't as entertaining as the first was. That Gain lady though. Oh my.

#35 Posted by Humanity (10037 posts) -

@mcghee: The girls who's bathing top he undoes by the pool is that Sunhwa? Because it looks a lot like her.

#36 Edited by McGhee (6075 posts) -

@humanity said:

@mcghee: The girls who's bathing top he undoes by the pool is that Sunhwa? Because it looks a lot like her.

Hhmm, I don't think so, but I see the similarity.

#37 Posted by Chibithor (574 posts) -

Way too similar to Gangnam Style I think, sounds and looks the same. But I don't think there was any way anyone could 'succesfully' follow up Gangnam Style.

#38 Edited by McGhee (6075 posts) -

Here's what I did: I pretended I wasn't familiar with Gangnam Style and wanted to see whether it will be fun and lightly humorous to watch the same way Gangnam Style was when a thread on these very forums showed it to me..

The music is just as catchy but this time around he clearly is being a cocky dick in the video, as opposed to how hilarious he was in Gangnam Style. Obviously he thinks he's smashing now, so the video was actually gross and lame.

Anyway it was interesting to read your post. That Abracadabra video man.. is it me or is South Korea dying to be United States 2.0?

Korea definitely has a love for the U.S. and the West in general, but as far as Abracadabra goes, I don't see where you're coming from. I would be interested if you could find anything American that has such a perfect blend of hot, talented ladies; awesome, a catchy dance song; and perfectly matched choreography. In other words, America can't do girl groups, not unless you go way back to Destiny's Child, but that's not quite the same.

#39 Edited by Subjugation (4740 posts) -

I don't think this will catch on like Gagnam Style did. The beat just doesn't hook, at least in my opinion.

Edit: Just watched that Abracadabra video. South Koreans must be my favorite Asians.

#40 Posted by Jams (2966 posts) -

DANCE MY LITTLE ASIAN PUPPETS DANCE!!! MUAHAHA

#41 Edited by Humanity (10037 posts) -

@mcghee said:

@officegamer said:

Korea definitely has a love for the U.S. and the West in general, but as far as Abracadabra goes, I don't see where you're coming from. I would be interested if you could find anything American that has such a perfect blend of hot, talented ladies; awesome, a catchy dance song; and perfectly matched choreography. In other words, America can't do girl groups, not unless you go way back to Destiny's Child, but that's not quite the same.

I think the big difference is that most US groups form a little more organically than the insane pop factory that is South Korea. I always found it so strange how in the videos you have these sexy girls, wearing provocative outfits, high heels, shaking their hips, looking seductively into the camera - then when it's time for the backstage interview you realize it's actually this incredibly shy and polite teen girl that has learned all these dance moves and mannerisms but doesn't know anything past the stage performance part. To a point I kind of felt bad for them as they're not allowed to date or seemingly have any sort of personal life of their own with their entire daily schedule composed of rehearsing, working out, going to press shows.. Their only friends seem to be other artists from their company or that they run into on variety programs. How old are the girls from SNSD now? Aren't they practically adult women? I wonder when they'll finally call it quits and want to live their own lives - they've been "attached" to each other for years.

#42 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

No thanks. Gangnam was terrible and this is even worse.

#43 Edited by McGhee (6075 posts) -

@humanity said:

@mcghee said:

@officegamer said:

I think the big difference is that most US groups form a little more organically than the insane pop factory that is South Korea. I always found it so strange how in the videos you have these sexy girls, wearing provocative outfits, high heels, shaking their hips, looking seductively into the camera - then when it's time for the backstage interview you realize it's actually this incredibly shy and polite teen girl that has learned all these dance moves and mannerisms but doesn't know anything past the stage performance part. To a point I kind of felt bad for them as they're not allowed to date or seemingly have any sort of personal life of their own with their entire daily schedule are composed of rehearsing, working out, going to press shows.. Their only friends seem to be other artists from their company or that they run into on variety programs. How old are the girls from SNSD now? Aren't they practically adult women by now? I wonder when they'll finally call it quits and want to live their own lives - they've been "attached" to each other for years now.

It's true that starting out, most Kpop groups live a life that could almost be described as slavery, twenty hour work days for the weeks during their promotion periods. Ever seen the video of T-ara being interviewed for Japanese TV and every one of them is nodding off to sleep while they are talking? It's ridiculous. They sign the contracts and know what they are getting into, though. It's the price of fame. That stuff only changes after they see some big success. I am willing to bet that most of the bigger pop idols date in secret. They do get caught from time to time. And once they get big they don't have to still live in the dorms. I think only about half of SNSD still lives together. They could all move out into their own places if they wanted to, which is what all the members of Kara have now done.

#44 Edited by Humanity (10037 posts) -

@mcghee: I haven't really followed this stuff in a while but Kara had that whole debacle with their "label" a while back. They possibly have re-negotiated much better contracts - or at least I hope they did. Most of these girls train from the age of 12 and are taken on by the big labels at 15 or something. Ironically it almost looks like their parents are selling off their children. They're given to these huge media corporations that whisk them away to their big Seoul dorms where they'll train and train until someone decides that you're now "Jenny" in "4XisT" and here is your pair of short shorts and 10 inch heels.

Don't get me wrong I have nothing against KPOP but when you start to really think about how it goes down it's a tad creepy.

#45 Posted by Benny (1955 posts) -

I guess that "I tried to dye my hair blonde but fucked up and it looks ginger now" look, is the current hotness in SK?

#46 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12102 posts) -

It's not nearly as catchy or stupid as Gangnam Style, but that song's 15 minutes of fame dried up a while ago and when your dumb internet music video gets as popular as Gangnam Style there's no real way to top it. Personally, I'm far more interested in the tangent about KPOP stars that is going on in this thread.

#47 Edited by MaFoLu (1859 posts) -

This song made me remember how much I love Gangnam Style and Right Now.
I'm not sure what that says about the song, or about me.

#48 Edited by froesti (100 posts) -

Yeaah, no. The song is OK but nothing really special. It doesn't have the same crazy buildup to the hook as Gangnam Style which was the best part about that song. It just kinda comes off as tired and by the book. The dance seems too "normal" to get big.

Also cmon, Kpop. The girls are hot as hell, but the music is really unimaginative and doesn't pack the least bit of punch for a dance song. But thats just kinda my opinion as someone who listens to High-tech-dark-psy.

#49 Edited by jiggajoe14 (820 posts) -

Song isn't bad... although I'm partial to Hyuna myself..... >_>

welp....gonna need a new pair of pants.

#50 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Too much subliminal messages in your K Pop for my liking...