Psy was on Sabado Gigante says my mom who doesn't use a computer.

• 51 results
golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By golguin

A few minutes ago my mom told me "that korean guy that dances is going to be on the show.". She watched it and then told me "did you know he has the most seen video on youtube?" Keep in mind that my mom barely knows how to use a computer, is in her 50s, and she originally learned he existed because my sister showed her the video about a month ago.

I asked her what she thought and she said she liked how the song sounded and how he danced. I am now convinced that she song is the biggest thing ever. If people doubt that then they're in denial. My mom is proof.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It was on one of the Now That's What I Call Music CDs recently and that's how my mom knows about it. Fuck that song.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Zacagawea said:

It was on one of the Now That's What I Call Music CDs recently and that's how my mom knows about it.

I didn't even know people buy those things. Get your mom better music or something.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By PillClinton

Thread title is CRAZY.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Animasta

I honestly don't get it. I get fuckin justin bieber, lady gaga, whatever, but I honestly don't get why this guy is so popular. It boggles my mind.

also your thread title makes it seem like you have a mom that DOES use a computer

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Phatmac

Yeah it's the biggest internet thing in a long while. My parents who only speak spanish and never get on the internet even know about it.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PeasantAbuse

One of my friends is from South Korea and he said Psy is a huge asshole. Can someone confirm/deny?

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By John1912

Hes taken a lot of heat for a song about death to Americans.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/07/showbiz/psy-apology-irpt/index.html

Kill those fucking Yankees who have been torturing Iraqi captives

Kill those fucking Yankees who ordered them to torture

Kill their daughters, mothers, daughters-in-law, and fathers

Kill them all slowly and painfully Hey sexy lady!

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By FengShuiGod
RockyRaccoon37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By RockyRaccoon37

@FengShuiGod said:

Zizek is my God.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By zeforgotten
@PillClinton said:

Thread title is CRAZY.

Last part of the OP is also crazy. 
Still have no idea what "she song is the biggest thing ever" means.
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Animasta

@ZeForgotten said:

@PillClinton said:

Thread title is CRAZY.

Last part of the OP is also crazy. Still have no idea what "she song is the biggest thing ever" means.

"the song is the biggest thing ever"

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I wonder what this does for Psy's career. No way he will ever top the success of this song.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#14  Edited By musubi

@Animasta: Difference is Beiber and Gaga are actually going to have long lasting careers. No effing way this guys ever tops this. Sure, he will probably sell records in South Korea but I can't see him doing anything in North America outside of this song.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

My mom doesn't know him.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By inkerman

However I reckon it is pretty reasonable to say this may be the biggest song ever.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NegativeCero

I wonder if my parents know him since they watch the same show and only speak Spanish.

MrGetBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MrGetBonus

You know those people who are into certain songs before they become popular, and then they aren't into them as much after they become popular?

I realized the other day that I am one of those people now.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Milkman

You guys realize that Gangnam Style isn't just an internet thing anymore, right?

sodacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By sodacat

OK, someone help me out here, is it "P-S-Y" or "Sigh"?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21  Edited By Justin258

@sodacat said:

OK, someone help me out here, is it "P-S-Y" or "Sigh"?

"Psychotic" without the "chotic" from my understanding.

On topic - this video was funny when I first heard about it. Then it became a meme and I promptly began ignoring it. Then it spilled over into mainstream culture and I groaned about it. And now it's come full-circle and the denizens of the internet, including me, are going to start hating it.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By toowalrus

My mom saw him in a clip performing with Madonna on Yahoo News and asked me what the hell it was. This was like, last week. I though everyone on the planet had seen Gangnam Style by now, but apparently not.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Demoskinos said:

@Animasta: Difference is Beiber and Gaga are actually going to have long lasting careers. No effing way this guys ever tops this. Sure, he will probably sell records in South Korea but I can't see him doing anything in North America outside of this song.

There's a Gangnam Style app on Google Play now. It's selling in record numbers. It's a phenomenon. It crosses cultural and lingual barriers.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By musubi

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Demoskinos said:

There's a Gangnam Style app on Google Play now. It's selling in record numbers. It's a phenomenon. It crosses cultural and lingual barriers.

Yes, but at some point the hype is going to dry up and unless he can crank out another monster hit that goes crazy over here he is going go to back to being just a korean star. I mean the Macarena guys were popular for the longest time then everyone got over the macarena and you never heard from them again.

Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Sploder

I still think the song is good. Especially in clubs where everyone's like "EEEYYYY SEXYY LAAADAYYY" and doing the same dance. I was in this gay bar and the place went fucking crazy for it. A dude jumped on top of a table and started stripping. And threw a condom in my friend's face.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@believer258 said:

On topic - this video was funny when I first heard about it. Then it became a meme and I promptly began ignoring it. Then it spilled over into mainstream culture and I groaned about it. And now it's come full-circle and the denizens of the internet, including me, are going to start hating it.

Exactly my thoughts about the video. It was amusing at first in it's utter absurdity and there were some cute Korean girls. Then.......it was everywhere and it got annoying and THEN football players started dancing in a similar fashion while celebrating and now I fucking hate it.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Animasta

@Sploder said:

I still think the song is good. Especially in clubs where everyone's like "EEEYYYY SEXYY LAAADAYYY" and doing the same dance. I was in this gay bar and the place went fucking crazy for it. A dude jumped on top of a table and started stripping. And threw a condom in my friend's face.

you lead an exciting life my friend

honestly though, I wonder if there's someone that knows the internet so much that he can know why something like this gets so popular. I bet that person is real smart if so.

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By gunslingerNZ

@MrGetBonus: I follow GSL ergo get to hear a decent amount of Kpop so I saw the video when it only had several million views and I still fucking love it and the phenomenon surrounding it. It does kind of boggle the mind though.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@PillClinton said:

Thread title is CRAZY.

I'll do some copyediting here.

For an easy fix, the OP could've just used a little punctuation to tighten things up. Keeping the sentence diction as is, it could look like:

"Psy was on Sabado Gigante," says my mom, who doesn't use a computer.

But why stop there? "Says" is present tense, obviously, but more importantly it is a word chosen specifically for its ability to convey a more dramatic action. When do you hear "says" in conversation? Typically, you hear it when someone is telling you a story and they want to hammer home the importance of the utterance they're retelling to you. "Says" is used when the punchline of the story, the point of whatever it is the storyteller is recounting, is the thing someone else has said.

That begs the question: What is the point the thread title is implying? From reading the newly-edited title above, or digging in and reading the post itself, we can determine the larger statement being made isn't that the mother said something noteworthy, but rather that she is fully cognizant of the PSY zeitgeist despite not actively using a source of information that connects her directly to the popular act, thereby implying the PSY phenomenon has become so pervasive that people with little-to-no familiarity with the internet recognize him (and, by extension, his song).

Let's return to the thread title. Now knowing the angle of the post itself, we can ask, "Does this thread title accurately signpost the contents of the thread?"

Well, not really, it doesn't. The anecdotal nature of the thread title isn't misleading, really, so much as it is confounding. It feels a line that ought to be in the post text itself, as opposed to being the title of the thing. The problem here, in some sense, is the present action of the title. We aren't reading a headline. We're reading a snippet of dialogue that would better support the greater argument being put forth.

A clearer, more direct title would operate with less haphazard inaccuracy. Something like:

My mother doesn't use the internet but knows of PSY.

Or even better:

Can you believe how big PSY is?

Perhaps, in the name of concision:

The PSY Phenomenon

You have to know your intent, really, is the greater point. Maybe write your post first and then write your title? Ask yourself, "Is my mother important enough to put in the thread title?"

ekajarmstro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ekajarmstro

I thought the song was awesome when it was new and it being popular now doesn't change that.

Trainer_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Trainer_Red

If only I could go back in time and stop this madness.

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By gunslingerNZ

@Demoskinos said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Demoskinos said:

Yes, but at some point the hype is going to dry up and unless he can crank out another monster hit that goes crazy over here he is going go to back to being just a korean star. I mean the Macarena guys were popular for the longest time then everyone got over the macarena and you never heard from them again.

Say what you will I feel PSY's carrer is more legitimate than Beiber even if he never again enjoys North American success. The guy is a pure entertainer in all senses.

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By haffy

Weird how the more popular it got, the more certain people hate it, purely for that reason alone. Guess that explains the hate towards any popular well made game.

Anyway I've watched the video and liked it.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#34  Edited By Little_Socrates

You guys know it's just this song with unintelligible lyrics and sexier ladies, right?

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By penguindust

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

I wonder what this does for Psy's career. No way he will ever top the success of this song.

That's the final point of it all, though isn't it? Like the "Macarena", we'll all look back on this phenomenon with embarrassment one day. I expect it will be a highlight of some future version of VH-1's "I Love the 'teens". Sometimes a dance craze just makes everyone crazy.

Much like Los Del Rio, this is the only song that Psy will be known for internationally. It's a bona fide one-hit wonder. That's not necessarily a bad thing in itself, but when you reach this level of fame, it's not because everyone loves the song for its musical creativity. It's become a cultural group experience and people, regular folk, will be curious to see what all the kids are talkin' about hence "Gangnam Style" on Ellen and Good Morning America.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Little_Socrates: You mean that they have a similar bassline riff for three chords.

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Wampa1

@RockyRaccoon37: Who is this man... why is he what.. my brain, hurts.

@Little_Socrates: Wait is that... the Dawson? Is it 1998 again?

Philedius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Philedius

I had a similar experience, but in my case it was my dad. He knew that PSY had surpassed Justin Bieber in views on the Youtubes before me, even though I had been waiting for that to happen.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#39  Edited By golguin

@HistoryInRust said:

@PillClinton said:

Thread title is CRAZY.

I'll do some copyediting here.

For an easy fix, the OP could've just used a little punctuation to tighten things up. Keeping the sentence diction as is, it could look like:

"Psy was on Sabado Gigante," says my mom, who doesn't use a computer.

But why stop there? "Says" is present tense, obviously, but more importantly it is a word chosen specifically for its ability to convey a more dramatic action. When do you hear "says" in conversation? Typically, you hear it when someone is telling you a story and they want to hammer home the importance of the utterance they're retelling to you. "Says" is used when the punchline of the story, the point of whatever it is the storyteller is recounting, is the thing someone else has said.

That begs the question: What is the point the thread title is implying? From reading the newly-edited title above, or digging in and reading the post itself, we can determine the larger statement being made isn't that the mother said something noteworthy, but rather that she is fully cognizant of the PSY zeitgeist despite not actively using a source of information that connects her directly to the popular act, thereby implying the PSY phenomenon has become so pervasive that people with little-to-no familiarity with the internet recognize him (and, by extension, his song).

Let's return to the thread title. Now knowing the angle of the post itself, we can ask, "Does this thread title accurately signpost the contents of the thread?"

Well, not really, it doesn't. The anecdotal nature of the thread title isn't misleading, really, so much as it is confounding. It feels a line that ought to be in the post text itself, as opposed to being the title of the thing. The problem here, in some sense, is the present action of the title. We aren't reading a headline. We're reading a snippet of dialogue that would better support the greater argument being put forth.

A clearer, more direct title would operate with less haphazard inaccuracy. Something like:

My mother doesn't use the internet but knows of PSY.

Or even better:

Can you believe how big PSY is?

Perhaps, in the name of concision:

The PSY Phenomenon

You have to know your intent, really, is the greater point. Maybe write your post first and then write your title? Ask yourself, "Is my mother important enough to put in the thread title?"

This statement was my intent:

"we can determine the larger statement being made isn't that the mother said something noteworthy, but rather that she is fully cognizant of the PSY zeitgeist despite not actively using a source of information that connects her directly to the popular act, thereby implying the PSY phenomenon has become so pervasive that people with little-to-no familiarity with the internet recognize him (and, by extension, his song)."

I can see now how my thread title sounds strange, but it made perfect sense to me at the time. I've been posting quite a bit today in a variety of topics and it may be my most active day on the site ever. It's the only thing I can think to do as I'm too sick to go outside, watch tv, or play games. Writing seems to keep the allergies bearable, which probably doesn't make much sense since I'm looking at a computer monitor with watery eyes and a runny nose. That aside I wanted to relay this crazy bit of information in the topic title so I just went for it. The two points would be Psy's appearance on a spanish variety show and my mom now becoming fully aware of who he is without the use of the internet. It could have been conveyed in a less confusing manner, but it is what it is.

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Wampa1

@Demoskinos: One day they will return... one day. Or maybe not and they are just a quick Cheeky Girls flash in the pan idea, and great now i'm thinking about the cheeky girls. And ba-ha men. God we've had some bad one hit wonders.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By forkboy

@believer258 said:

I'm sort of like one of those people, expect I heard it at the meme stage for the first time & instantly hated it as unremarkable K-pop with a daft dance.

@HistoryInRust: Man, I want to shake your hand for that post.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin: Haha. No worries. I'm just teasing you.

Yadilie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43  Edited By Yadilie

@Demoskinos said:

You realize this is this guys 6th album right? That he's had a longer career than both Beiber and Gaga at this point?

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ShaggE

I unironically love this song, but it definitely gets to be a little much sometimes.

Every decade gets their crazy-popular song/dance combo, though. I'll take Gangnam over the Macarena any day.

Butler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Butler

@HistoryInRust: I like the cut of your jib. Thank you for that.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@FengShuiGod said:

Dude seems like he's just taken about a gram of coke.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Winternet

Wow, that title. That's something special.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By musubi

@Yadilie said:

@Demoskinos said:

You realize this is this guys 6th album right? That he's had a longer career than both Beiber and Gaga at this point?

Which is why I said he will continue to sell records in Korea. And actually you are wrong on one account Lady Gaga has had a 7-8 year career already. Around 2005 she started a band under her real name. The Stefani germanotta band. She transitioned from that into being lady gaga. =p

Edit: Nevermind... you said 6 albums not 6 years. Carry on.... its early and I can't read properly so it seems.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ShaggE

@Winternet said:

Wow, that title. That's something special.

I keep reading it as "Psy was on Sabado Gigante, says my mom doesn't use a computer". Now THAT'S a story I want to read about.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Ramone

My 60 year old accounting lecturer knows Gangnam style.