Psychobabble Fails [First Edition]

DyranLK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By DyranLK

[AUTHOR's NOTE: Text in the spoiler below is practically as cringeworthy as its subject matter. Open only if you are highly resistant to high doses of, you know...obnoxiousness.]

Oh, psychobabble; aka the concepts and aspects of self-proclaimed 'psychology' twisted into a narrow, cringeworthy culmination of fabricated justifications dependent on the relativity of its relevance to the speaker's haywire emotions or feelings. Course, that's just my unnecessarily worded, run-on sentence take on it, but I'd say that it makes enough sense, lol. xP

So, what exactly does that have to do with the creation of this thread? Well, everything, of course!

Basically, many kinds of individuals we know today spurt out some sort of pointless form of psychobabble in one way or another; sometimes, it's even on a daily basis; and even worse, sometimes, it's from ourselves!

But whatever the person or scenario, this little, probably soon-to-be-beaten-and-left-for-dead thread is where all of us fellow elitists posters can come together and share random lines of psychobabble fails from fellow relatives, co-eds, classmates, employers, important political figures, benchwarmers, or the like, for no apparent reason other than to increase our post count revel in the mediocrity of popularized ideologies.

Yeah, it's pretty simple.

Nevertheless, though I think it's kinda doubtful that this'll catch on, it doesn't hurt to try, I guess -- and so, on that note, thanks for contributin' and happy posting, everyone..!! :-P

Speaking of which, I guess that means I should be the one to start this off, 'ey.

[NOTE: Also, when quoting someone, it would obviously be best if you didn't give out their entire, full name, since, as much as a selective few might deserve it at times, is still pretty dangerous to be doing on the interwebs, lol. So I'll just leave it at that. :-P]

"You don't get it. Doesn't matter whether I'm right or wrong, everything we do is because of what we think, and everything we think comes from how we feel. All we are are just...just vessels -- vessels of knowledge. Yeah. And every minute, those vessels are growing...because of what the people around us are putting in it."

~ Brought to you bya certain sophomore I know that takes himself a little too seriously, lol.Fun guy to be around, and sure, he's pretty smart for his age, but really now; 'vessels of knowledge' just screams 'corny'...D:

Basically, if there were any psychobabbleyou've heard blurted out recently, go ahead and put it up. I'm sure we're all interested in hearing it.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Jay444111

I made a divide zero event once... Say you went to hell of your own accordance... say that you killed the devil... since you killed the root cause of all evil, does evil disepear from the world or does it literally destroy the universal laws? Or worse... since you killed evil, which is in itself as evil act... do you become evil itself!? Or does killing pure evil exempt you from that if you are to kill evil for selfish reasons which in themselves are evil? Which means...

No Caption Provided

I know... nothing to do with the topic... but yeah, smart people things...

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JasonR86

@DyranLK:

I hate the way you write. So are we just supposed to give examples of when people gave us advice that we felt was extraordinarily dumb so that we can laugh about it? Is that the point of this thread?

DyranLK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DyranLK

@JasonR86 said:

@DyranLK:

I hate the way you write. So are we just supposed to give examples of when people gave us advice that we felt was extraordinarily dumb so that we can laugh about it? Is that the point of this thread?

I was going to say "Yes, technically, that's part of the point.", but, first of all, it's not 'advice' that this thread is asking for, and even if it was advice, it doesn't need to be extraordinarily dumb, lol.

You're probably right, this may be a stupid idea -- but, just for the sake of continuing on with the damn argument -- as the original post says, the point is just to post psychobabble-reminiscent dialogue; then, if you find it more funny than retarded, you could laugh about it.

Honestly, though, if you find that rather pointless, I don't blame you; yet in the same time, I don't exactly see anyone asking for people to tear down 'What song are you listening to right now?', 'How are you feeling right now?', or 'What funny thing happened to you today?' threads, which are, admittedly, based around the same basic concept (sharing) and are...incredibly popular within the typical, run-of-the-mill forum these days, lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edaf67394a8d
deactivated-5edaf67394a8d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JasonR86 said:

@DyranLK:

I hate the way you write.

DyranLK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DyranLK

A'ight, a'ight, lol, this thread has obviously already been beaten and left for dead before it was even conceived, so I'll be putting this guy out of its sickening misery in the next couple minutes. It was a nice run while it lasted, though. :-P

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By TruthTellah

@Jay444111: Wait, which religion has the Devil as the root cause of all evil? I'm pretty sure he's often just the main actor of evil. Like the king of evil. For example, in most forms of Christianity, the Devil is a fallen angel which acts to hurt people and tempt them from God out of a desperate attempt to have others share in his own misery. So, he isn't really evil itself; he's just the main actor of evil. Thus, killing him wouldn't kill evil; you'd still have evil around, as evil and sin are concepts, not individual forces.

And in most religions, killing something isn't inherently evil. Murdering something is. So, killing the Devil wouldn't be inherently evil. It -could- be evil, but it isn't inherently so. Thus, once again, your divide by zero event wouldn't make sense. Sorry, Jay! But hey, divide by zero events are actually pretty hard to come up with, and even dividing by zero is kind-of possible...

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TruthTellah

@DyranLK: heh. No reason to despair, Dyran. I agree with the others that the original post is a good bit overwrought and inspires more hatred for babble rather than an interest in posting instances of psychobabble, but I'm sure people might still get around to posting such instances. Though, people often enjoy psychobabble on Giant Bomb, especially in anti-religion threads, anti-"censorship" threads, and even anti-console threads of all things. ha. Thus, you may find some animosity there.

I think it's a bit of a silly idea, but then, you're right that there are many far worse threads out there. So, if it really interests you, I hope you'll find some success with the thread. :)

proflate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By proflate

@DyranLK said:

"You don't get it. Doesn't matter whether I'm right or wrong, everything we do is because of what we think, and everything we think comes from how we feel. All we are are just...just vessels -- vessels of knowledge. Yeah. And every minute, those vessels are growing...because of what the people around us are putting in it."

~ Brought to you bya certain sophomore I know that takes himself a little too seriously, lol.Fun guy to be around, and sure, he's pretty smart for his age, but really now; 'vessels of knowledge' just screams 'corny'...D:

If he replaced the word knowledge with information, then his "profound" statement would be a lot more accurate. Why won't you spend some time involved in a philosophical discussion with this guy, or anyone really? Anything in this nature of discussion will sound corny because it's been beaten over the head since mankind started thinking. Only by discussing the nature of existence can we emit these thoughts into the noosphere and take one more baby step to the answer. And if we ignore these questions, what are we doing? What else matters? One's social commitments don't matter, for society is an entirely fictionalized abstract notion we created. If figuring out the nature of the universe isn't what matters, then we're all fucking doomed to some sort of terrible existential nightmare of consumerism and propaganda.

I am on 25mg of psilocybin right now, so fuck y'all.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TruthTellah

@Ezekeilpurger said:

@DyranLK said:

If he replaced the word knowledge with information, then his "profound" statement would be a lot more accurate. Why won't you spend some time involved in a philosophical discussion with this guy, or anyone really? Anything in this nature of discussion will sound corny because it's been beaten over the head since mankind started thinking. Only by discussing the nature of existence can we emit these thoughts into the noosphere and take one more baby step to the answer. And if we ignore these questions, what are we doing? What else matters? One's social commitments don't matter, for society is an entirely fictionalized abstract notion we created. If figuring out the nature of the universe isn't what matters, then we're all fucking doomed to some sort of terrible existential nightmare of consumerism and propaganda.

I am on 25mg of psilocybin right now, so fuck y'all.

I agree. Many of the most worthwhile thoughts seem corny, especially considering how often they may be used by older individuals who newer generations like to write off. The "Doesn't matter whether I'm right or wrong" part was silly, but the perspective on how information shapes us every day and moment is an important one that many people ignore in their everyday lives.

DyranLK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DyranLK

@TruthTellah: Good points, good points.

Not going to lie, though, I actually looked back at the first post and threw up a little bit in my mouth as well, (Perhaps I was undergoing a case of elevation while initially typing this?), so damn it all to a virtual forum hell, I guess -- this was clearly just not something I'd like becoming popular for the sake of a failed first impression, but ahh screw it; nothing I could do about it, anyway. So if people would like to sit down and have some random discussion about psychobabble regardless, that would be great, although I'll probably be somewhere far off in the distance trying to forget I ever made this thread in the first place, lmao.

Whatever the case, I decided to make some refinements to the original post -- make it a little bit more reading-friendly.

On the long run, though, thanks for the input, I guess, lol; who knows, you might be right, 'ey, and this thread does become slightly more tolerable.

In the meantime, though, if you need me, I'll...probably be in some General Discussion thread. :-P

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TruthTellah

@DyranLK: haha. Well, don't worry about it too much. Plenty of people make worse first impressions. Just lighten up a bit and cut yourself some slack. People may make some snarky replies, but they're generally good-natured. So, don't get too down on yourself for one stupid thread. :)

DyranLK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DyranLK

@TruthTellah said:

@DyranLK: haha. Well, don't worry about it too much. Plenty of people make worse first impressions. Just lighten up a bit and cut yourself some slack. People may make some snarky replies, but they're generally good-natured. So, don't get too down on yourself for one stupid thread. :)

Haha, I gotcha, I gotcha. ;P

Thanks.