#1 Posted by NTM (7234 posts) -

Does anyone else here do this? And also, I'm wondering, for you, did it also attract other animals? 'Cause I put peanuts out for Squirrels, and then Steller's Jay's started coming for them as well (not to be confused with Blue Jays). And now, from what I see, there's this tricky crow scoping out the area around the peanuts then quickly grabbing some. I don't really mind it right now, but I'm hoping it doesn't attract too many other animals because then it'd be getting a little too crazy. I was just wondering how many others do this and if it had a negative effect? It's just so cute.

#2 Posted by Yummylee (21204 posts) -

Oh, it attracts other 'animals' all right. /bitcheslovenuts /sexism

#3 Posted by NTM (7234 posts) -

@Yummylee: Alright... Ha ha?

#4 Posted by Yummylee (21204 posts) -

@NTM: To answer your question: No, I don't leave peanuts out for squirrels.

#5 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

We get field mice here, but of coarse for the last three or four years the eco system around here has gotten kinda wacky.

First we got Field Mice, then the next year we got hawks, im guessing to take care of the field mice, then this year I saw a turkey vulture.

And I live right out side of DC.

#6 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5796 posts) -

no, but I do like to feed the squirrels around campus sometimes.

#7 Edited by Gridius (7 posts) -

Actually, I do this a lot, and for several different squirrels near my house. Yes other animals will show up and the jays and crows don't surprise me, I get some of them too. To make sure maximum peanut to squirrel delivery is attained, I usually leave bread/dried fruit for things like jays and hide most of the peanuts in crow/raven proof nooks and crannies that squirrels can get to quite easily.

#8 Posted by DuskVamp (681 posts) -

I would like to, but it would make more of a feeding area for my cat.

#9 Posted by aquamarin (555 posts) -

I'm picturing your yard getting like this.

#10 Posted by Toxeia (728 posts) -

I've put peanuts out for peacocks to eat before... We've got ducks in the back that will eat anything you put out there though, so it's hard for the intended animal to find them in time.

#11 Posted by Prince_of_Space (82 posts) -

Cute as it may be, feeding squirrels peanuts is actually kind of a bad thing to do. Peanuts aren't a natural food for squirrels, which means that if they become accustomed to eating them they might end up malnourished.

#12 Posted by Patman99 (1557 posts) -

@Prince_of_Space said:

Cute as it may be, feeding squirrels peanuts is actually kind of a bad thing to do. Peanuts aren't a natural food for squirrels, which means that if they become accustomed to eating them they might end up malnourished.

or become dependent on the food source and if the peanuts stop being put out the squirrel will be all confused and stuff.

To answer the question, no I do not leave food out for any kind of animal. Around my house we get more deer and stuff. You dont even have to put out food for those guys, they will just jump your fence and start pigging out on whatever you have growing in your garden (flowers included).

#13 Posted by 49th (2669 posts) -

Put bird poison on the nuts to deter them.

#14 Posted by crusader8463 (14411 posts) -

@49th said:

Put bird poison on the nuts to deter them.

You need to think like a real pysco and make it a death lottery. Put the poison on only two or three of the nuts, and leave the rest alone. Then see who gets the winning nut and dies a slow painful poison fuelled death.

#15 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2527 posts) -

I woudl think just puuting out a harder shelled nut would cut down on the birds. A squirrel could open an Almond in the shell I'm sure, or Hazelnuts/Filberts in the shell.

#16 Posted by scalpel (314 posts) -

I feed the birds in the winter because I like them there. Not sure if they need it, but it probably has an effect on their coming back.

#17 Posted by NTM (7234 posts) -

@Prince_of_Space: @Patman99: We put more than unsalted peanuts out for them, like almonds and other healthier seeds that we may have at the time. It's not like I'm so ignorant to think they may want a cheeseburger from time to time. I know what's good for squirrels, and I research this stuff whenever they become part of my daily life.

Also, I agree with Patman99, but I can assure you that we don't really go without feeding them often, we like them around, unless we don't have anything at the time for them, or we aren't home. In the end though, your point doesn't really matter, because it probably happens all the time, and they'll always learn to look for new places to find food; it's not like we stop feeding them and they starve to death because of it, but they will look around the same area for a while though.

#18 Posted by Hailinel (23677 posts) -

Oh, heck no. When I was in college, the campus was swarming with squirrels because food was everywhere for them. I don't feel the need to be attracting their attention.

#19 Posted by Patman99 (1557 posts) -

@NTM: Yeah that's a good point. I never really considered that other people may do the same thing and the squirrel has actually adapted to this new form of scavenging. Well as long as you do it consistently and you enjoy having squirrels around then I guess it's fine. Just have to be careful it doesnt attract any other critters. Dont really know where you live but if I put out food here coyotes and bears will come down

#20 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

If I did, they would be laced with rat poison.

#21 Edited by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

@NTM: To answer your question: No, I don't leave peanuts out for squirrels.

But you leave your nuts out for the squirrels, am I right?! AW YEAH!!