• 173 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
#101 Edited by spartanlolz92 (511 posts) -

@Foxtrot0245 said:

@9cupsoftea: Regardless of how someone feels about illegal immigration, visiting a country =/= illegally gaining access to a country and subverting the system of laws in place for lawful immigration or visitation.

Also, last I checked, if someone in the US was denied service because of race, creed, nationality, etc, then this would be an international news story about how awful this man was treated. Since it happened elsewhere, he can only vent his frustration on a internet forum, where people still don't care because "it's just an American."

Am I the only one who sees the irony in making angry sweeping generalizations about the entire US being ethnocentric and racist?

no the more posts i see in this thread the more have to wonder where do some of these people come from

then again i guess most posters are doing fun stuff like posting about what games they like etc

#102 Posted by mlarrabee (2885 posts) -

@ThePickle said:

Every country has fucked up shit.

This.

It's not really a case of everyone hating America so much as it is of every country deserving disgust. Really, every country is hated for various reasons and rightfully so. But the only defense against the realization that your country is rotten is emphasizing the negative aspects of other nations. The Japanese say, "Hey, we have some problems, but at least we aren't China." The Irish say, "We have a few negatives, but we're no Scotland." The Russians say, "There are some things wrong, but we aren't as bad as America." This world is really just a global secondary school: everybody sucks, but no one will admit it.

#103 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

jealousy

#104 Posted by Stepside (508 posts) -

I can only speak for myself and my immediate social circle, but I think the reason the majority of non-Americans has preconceived notions of the USA is because they focus on the negative aspects of your foreign policy.

Sarah Palin and Dubya didn't help either :)

#105 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -

Hey everyone gets made fun of in other countries. 
 
Nationalism is stupid

#106 Edited by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@PrivateIronTFU said:

@Animasta said:

sorry when you told that guy to fuck off you pretty much cemented his views of americans to him, so yeah he was an asshole but instead of trying to make him "see the light", you were an asshole back.

Yeah, but that guy deserved a 'fuck off'. So I don't see your point.

lots of people deserve that; trying to be the better person is something you should always strive to be, even if someone does tell you to fuck off.

Yeah, but telling the guy to fuck off is exactly why he was the better person. The guy flat out refused him service, for no apparent reason. So he told him to fuck off, and promptly left. I don't see how telling him to fuck off, and rightly so, lowers him to the same douchebaggery of a guy who seems vindictive just for the hell of it.

#107 Posted by CollyWolly (63 posts) -

Haters gonna hate.

#108 Posted by chrissedoff (2075 posts) -

I wouldn't be surprised if there was more to this story than is in the OP. People are never really as irrational as they are in anecdotes from people who are pissed off.

#109 Edited by bwmcmaste (837 posts) -

@chrissedoff said:

People are never really as irrational as they are in anecdotes from people who are pissed off.

Generalizations are generally inaccurate.

I live in Western Canada, and I can say that the only people we typically cast aspersions on are Eastern Canadians (specifically those from Ontario and Quebec). I've heard a few anti-American sentiments lobbed around in my time, but they usually come from the kind of obstreperous clods who maintain a negative opinion about anything that isn't a facsimile of their own self image.

#110 Posted by Barbed_Haywire (29 posts) -

@troll93 said:

In the Military aspect there is a bit of resentment towards America and England as you both pulled us into wars that we had nothing to do with, cost our boys lives, and then it feels like we are not even given a thank you. And no matter who we vote in, they all seam to do the same thing over and over.

Wow, what a complete load of utter horseshit...we've NEVER been "pulled" into wars that we had nothing to do with dude, no one twisted our arm or coerced us into our governments chose to ally themselves with the States, and we've received an incredible amount of gratitude for what we did....you might want to actually brush up on the Australian Constitution and do some reading before you spout shit like that.

OP, I think you were totally justified telling that moron in Portugal to fuck off, judging someone purely on their nationality is incredibly ignorant.

I'm Australian and I can only speak from my own personal experience, Aussies don't hate Americans, it's just your retarded government that gets people pissed off, and with Obama in charge it's nowhere near as bad as during the Bush years. I've travelled to the States and I found the people to be really friendly, courteous and kind for the most part.

Some American tourists don't do their country any favours; a few years ago my parents were on a walking tour of Mount Vesuvius in Italy when the tour guide showed them a dog that became petrified by the eruption. The tour guide suggested that today's dogs could have evolved from the species found at the volcano, to which an American lady suddenly yelled "well I don't believe in no evolution!". It's little wonder there's some angst towards Americans with idiots like that travelling.

It happens to every country dude so the best thing to do is take it with a grain of salt.....a lot of people still think that Australia is a penal colony......

#111 Posted by bwmcmaste (837 posts) -

Whenever I need a reason to appreciate the USA, I simply turn to either of these songs (something which I recommend for my non-American fellows out there):

#112 Edited by Arkasai (701 posts) -

Having lived most of my life in one of the biggest tourism destinations in the world, I can see where the animosity towards American tourists comes from. It only takes a few bad apples to spoil a lot of peoples' image of a country, and I've seen my share of American bad apples. That's all down to statistics though, Americans probably travel and vacation in greater numbers...so you'll see more assholes representing our country abroad. I also feel like the whole 'you represent your country when abroad' mentality is not impressed upon Americans as heavily as in other places. I love my country, but I hate the people who misrepresent it with their ignorance and stupidity just as much as people in other countries do. I think we've all come in contact with stupid people in our respective countries and thought, 'people like you give our country a bad name.' Unfortunately these people often travel and spread hatred for their homeland among the locals by acting like an ass.

#113 Posted by RIDEBIRD (1230 posts) -

Southern Europeans gonna be southern Europeans. Especially if they're a bit older.

#114 Edited by Fattony12000 (7036 posts) -

I think people can be stupid, as well as be on the receiving end of stupidity, no matter what their country, race, creed or colour happens to be.

#115 Posted by TechHits (1365 posts) -

@coakroach said:

I'm from New Zealand, pretty much everyone thinks we're just a quaint, harmless nation of shepherds and rugby players

Its pretty awesome

It sucks that you guys get judged based on the shitty things done by a handful of people, but you cant avoid it so you may as well live with it

hold the phone! New Zealand isn't just a bunch of rugby playing shepherds? My world view is alittle shaken.

#116 Posted by troll93 (386 posts) -

@Barbed_Haywire said:

@troll93 said:

In the Military aspect there is a bit of resentment towards America and England as you both pulled us into wars that we had nothing to do with, cost our boys lives, and then it feels like we are not even given a thank you. And no matter who we vote in, they all seam to do the same thing over and over.

Wow, what a complete load of utter horseshit...we've NEVER been "pulled" into wars that we had nothing to do with dude, no one twisted our arm or coerced us into our governments chose to ally themselves with the States, and we've received an incredible amount of gratitude for what we did....you might want to actually brush up on the Australian Constitution and do some reading before you spout shit like that.

Which part of the constitution are you suggesting is relevant here?

#117 Posted by Tomkang (251 posts) -

Why the world hates America? HAHAHA

Summary

-Hypocrisy, Criticises China's human right when they had slave trade only a few hundred years back

-Calls itself a free country, creates SOPA to fuck with everyones rights

-Minority of people are very outspoken and spread racist and ignorant views when they travel

-Goes to war for things like oil

-Tries to fix the other countries problems instead of their own economy

-Thinks they are the best country in the world

-Has a history of only a few hundred years and commands other countries who have 10 times the history

etc. etc.

The majority of americans are fine, the minority are dicks that everyone hates

#118 Posted by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

Well it is easy to mock us with the current president..

#119 Posted by dudeglove (7684 posts) -

change your nationality to irish.

#120 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

I just learned to ignore them.

#121 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@Still_I_Cry said:

Well it is easy to mock us with the current president..

Or when you voted for Bush... twice
#122 Posted by GolazoDan (114 posts) -

I put it down to weak attempts to fit in with football discussions - you can always spot the American, always - and turning maths into math. That second reason is particularly heinous.

#123 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2682 posts) -

@N7 said:

We are the 99$ or some such bullshit. You get the picture, Scorpion.

We are the ninety-nine dollars.

#124 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Wow, did my comment that America has an idiotic political system really lead into this?

Well I stand by my comment in that regard, but I hardly see how that justified your response in that thread.

Anyhoo, I don't hate America or Americans. I worked for several years contracting for the US Consulate here in Sydney, and all the diplomatic couriers, public servants, military dudes, and various others I met were almost universally nice, way more polite than most, well-educated, and generally decent people; the few who were exceptions were not stunningly cuntish, but that can apply to anyone.

My fiancée, to continue with the anecdotal evidence, is a Customs Officer, and her experiences are much the same: generally polite, friendly, and respectful of authority; however, the bad ones are REALLY bad in that stereotypical, loud and obnoxious Yank way everyone is exposed to via TV and movies. Again, a minority, but present.

One thing my personal experience has shown me, however, is that it seems the US education system and, indeed, overall culture of extreme nationalism, leads to a great many people who are more "sheltered" from global politics and history when compared to the citizens of most western nations, and that is often displayed to extreme effect by the worst examples of American travellers, as well as your media.

That doesn't mean I hate Americans, anymore than I hate New Zealanders (Kiwi bastards), the English (stinking Poms), or anyone else. I judge people based on their actions, and my opinions of an individual is in no way related to my opinion of their nation and that nation'a government.

So, yes, I think your politics are built from the ground up to encourage corruption and not serve the people. I think American education is flawed. I think gridiron and baseball are dumb. I think you allow religion to have far too much impact on your supposedly non-secular society. I also think America has done a great deal of good in the world, including saving my own country from dying under Japanese Imperialism, providing billions in aid, and progressing technology and medicine through industry.

And none of that remotely impacts how I feel about you as a citizen of America, because that's a different thing entirely.

Oh, and you were right to tell that prick to fuck off too.

#125 Posted by hastapura (19 posts) -

Dude welcome to life as a minority

#126 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

Americans! Hahahaha! Americans!

#127 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -
@kingzetta said:
jealousy
#128 Posted by Stonyman65 (2591 posts) -

I think it is part jealousy and part arrogance. And on top of that, the US government hasn't exactly done the best things in the world either. It's just people being prejudiced against other people because of where they come from. Same old story.

I'm American and proud to be. I'm sure my friends here across the pond are proud to be whatever nationality they are. It's wrong to judge people on stereotypes, or judge them on what their country's leaders do. But unfortunately that is how the world works sometimes. Here and everywhere.

#129 Posted by Little_Linn (2 posts) -

Well, I'm an American - bred and all - but I don't have a particularly high view of my own people. Generally speaking, we're all pretty rude. True, not all of us are, but after spending a lot of time with people from other countries (my college is quite diverse as far as international students go), I've found that they are much more friendly. There is just such a gross amount of people from America that are complete jerks to people. And as people mentioned earlier in the thread, you definitely did not help with that. I get that it's pretty discourteous to refuse you service, but at the same time, there would have been a better way rather than swearing at him. In any event, if Americans weren't so self-absorbed what with our power in the world and whatnot, we probably wouldn't get so offended and honestly wouldn't think we're all that above everyone else. We're rather French like that. Those people, I've heard, are incredibly rude, especially in Paris. Tourists are horrified by how rude Parisians are...I think we're kind of the same. At least, it appears that way, even in my small town, where you'd think they'd be nicer, eh?

#130 Posted by Barbed_Haywire (29 posts) -

@troll93: I'm referring to the complete absence of any statute that requires Australia to blindly follow the U.S. into war. Our governments chose to enter into these wars, we weren't forced. The U.S. has continuously and regularly acknowledged our military alliance and they have sung HUGE praise about our involvement (read the comments Obama gave whilst in Australia in November), to hate the entire country because our government is stupid enough to follow the U.S. is incredibly ignorant.

#131 Posted by Zelyre (1117 posts) -

Welcome to the life of being a minority. That shit happens to me on a daily basis, by "Americans" to an "American".

Having done some traveling, its understandable why foreigners would hate a "White" American. If I had a dollar for every time I saw a white guy JUST SPOKE LOUDER AND SLOWER to a guy that clearly doesn't speak the language, I'd buy something stupid expensive. Our culture shows us as being extremely rude and wasteful.

If your only impression of America was Jersey Shore and The Kardasians, I'd hate the shit out of us too.

And, if you think being male, middle class, and white is bad, try being an Asian-American. White people give me shit because I do well. Asian people give me shit because I don't do well enough while Chinese folks treat me like dog shit because I speak Cantonese and Mandarin with a very heavy American accent. It's like having no race to identify with.

#132 Posted by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

@Little_Linn said:

Well, I'm an American - bred and all - but I don't have a particularly high view of my own people. Generally speaking, we're all pretty rude. True, not all of us are, but after spending a lot of time with people from other countries (my college is quite diverse as far as international students go), I've found that they are much more friendly. There is just such a gross amount of people from America that are complete jerks to people. And as people mentioned earlier in the thread, you definitely did not help with that. I get that it's pretty discourteous to refuse you service, but at the same time, there would have been a better way rather than swearing at him. In any event, if Americans weren't so self-absorbed what with our power in the world and whatnot, we probably wouldn't get so offended and honestly wouldn't think we're all that above everyone else. We're rather French like that. Those people, I've heard, are incredibly rude, especially in Paris. Tourists are horrified by how rude Parisians are...I think we're kind of the same. At least, it appears that way, even in my small town, where you'd think they'd be nicer, eh?

Way to contradict yourself within your first couple of sentences. Also, nice generalizing, "if Americans weren't so self-absorbed what with our power in the world and whatnot". Pshhaw..

"I've found" means in your personal experience, which is not a large enough pool to base a statement like this, "there is just such a gross amount of people from America that are complete jerks to people" on.

This is based on the assumption that you used the word "gross" as meaning, " the main body, bulk, or mass." Not sure what other definition of "gross" would fit the way you used it, so yeah.

#133 Posted by eugenesaxe (199 posts) -

America has a shit reputation worldwide. We have to stick our noses where they don't belong. We blatantly lie to get what we want or justify our actions. It's pretty easy to see why the world in general hates us, and sometimes you can't argue the reasoning.

#134 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

@Stonyman65 said:

I think it is part jealousy and part arrogance. And on top of that, the US government hasn't exactly done the best things in the world either. It's just people being prejudiced against other people because of where they come from. Same old story.

I'm American and proud to be. I'm sure my friends here across the pond are proud to be whatever nationality they are. It's wrong to judge people on stereotypes, or judge them on what their country's leaders do. But unfortunately that is how the world works sometimes. Here and everywhere.

The whole 'other countries are jealous!' really doesn't help the outlook.

#135 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@Little_Linn said:

Well, I'm an American - bred and all -

Oh hell yeah you are. One-hundred percent pure all-American. Oof. I'm leaving, now.

#136 Posted by Rebel_Scum (633 posts) -

Just to add more fuel to the fire that was like that before I got here.

Did anyone watch the end of the Superbowl where the announcer was saying that the Giants were World Champions? And then you got the World Series for Baseball. Local teams competing against each other to be best in the world? Its shows off the arrogance that people perceive when they think of Americans in general.

However whenever I've met Americans that have travelled away from the homeland they have usually been decent, articulated people. But I have travelled the states and met some dickheads as well. Every cultures got some.

#137 Posted by Aetheldod (3509 posts) -

As a mexican I need to tell something about gringos. .... but our country is so much worse than anything that America could be that all my hatred is reserved for my compatriots , so you are cool in my books :D. I only dislkie the politicians and their corrupt ways , but then again this is for ALL WORLD WIDE politicians. I actually dislike all the flack that sometimes mexican tv has against america and their immigration laws , as if we were anybetter (we are so much worse towards central/south americans).

#138 Edited by Detrian (1126 posts) -
#139 Posted by Etnos (245 posts) -

@Aetheldod said:

As a mexican I need to tell something about gringos. .... but our country is so much worse than anything that America could be that all my hatred is reserved for my compatriots , so you are cool in my books :D. I only dislkie the politicians and their corrupt ways , but then again this is for ALL WORLD WIDE politicians. I actually dislike all the flack that sometimes mexican tv has against america and their immigration laws , as if we were anybetter (we are so much worse towards central/south americans).

You know as a native Mexican who came to the US as post-graduated student and eventually established here in a professional field, I find shutting the fuck up! and be an honorable person/citizen a more constructive approach, to honor both my roots and my new country.

Over generalization and oversimplification are expressions of ignorance, across all nations.

#140 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

When someone generalizes you you generalize them right back in the case of the aussies you say at least my ancestors weren't criminals sent over from Britain.

#141 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

@N7 said:

@HODGEY3000 said:

because america is the dick that fucks the rest of the world

No, that's the American Government that fucks the rest of the world. You can leave ME out of this irrational, teen-angst fueled hatedickery. I haven't fucked any such part of the world and it offends me deeply to hear such inaccurate insinuations. We are the 99$ or some such bullshit. You get the picture, Scorpion.

And who picks the American Government? The American People. Don't fucking try to blame it on others. You're 18. You can vote. But have you? Do you even know who the fire marshal in your city is? The sheriff? The tax collector? The fucking mayor? What about your state representative? Ever write him a letter? Give him a phone call? Drop him a line of email? Do you even know his name? DO YOU EVEN CARE?

The truth of the matter is that americans are ignorant and lazy. They have all the knowledge and resources in the world in the tip of their fingertips abut would rather waste their time looking up pictures of cats stuffing their faces through slices of bread. Most other people in the world can speak at least two languages fluently. Can you?

Our entire education system is a joke. It's quite sad really. People complain about corrupt politicians and say that their votes don't matter because corporations just end up buying the elections anyways. But do they try to do anything about it? Fuck no! Even when they do it consists of camping out in the middle of the street for a week and chanting "Occupy ____!" Yeah, like that's really gonna change things guys!

Then there's the people who go out and vote blindly based on antiquated party lines. They don't know who they're voting for, they just see an R or a D and check the box. But who is that person? What are their platforms? What have they done? What do they plan to do? They know none of that. they're fucking lemings walking off a cliff.

It's pathetic.

#142 Posted by N7 (3573 posts) -
@Enigma777: I agree completely. If it were up to me, voting wouldn't be so anonymous. It would be a public spectacle where people wear signs in the goddamn street saying who they voted for and why. If we humiliate these lazy, incompetent cretins into obscurity, maybe we could get a level head in office instead of this stupid American Idol inspired shooting gallery where people say "I WILL MAKE THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE. VOTE FOR ME" No you won't. YOU CAN'T. Because we vote you into office and stop you from making any fucking change because we'd rather eat SHIT and JACK OFF to Simon Cowl crushing the dreams of a fucking 15 year old like anyone gives a shit what he says. BUT WAIT! WE DO! We fucking pay people to tell other people to fuck off. HAHA HE HAS A DREAM WELL FUCK HIM GO FUCK OFF YOU FUCKING FUCK.
 
This country is a joke! Or should I say, CUNTRY. We're fucked because we fuck ourselves STUPID.  We've gotten to the point where we're so stupid and fat and lazy that the first time we actually vote someone competent into office, we tell him he can't change SHIT and accuse him of being a muslim! OOOO MUSLIM! BECAUSE THAT'S THE HOT BUTTON ISSUE RIGHT AMERICA. OF COURSE IT IS YOU DUMB FUCKS.
 
This country is fucked and I hate everyone. The day the bombs start dropping is the day I CHEER GLEEFULLY at the natural selection that is about to take place. Fuck if I live or die, I don't give two fucks one way or another. But the sooner this planet is rid of our stupid cunt-faces the better chances our species has of actually progressing. Because sitting in front of a fucking television and pressing buttons so a virtual dipshit to jump around and shoot other virtual dipshits isn't helping ANYTHING.
 
We are the 99%. YEAH FUCKING RIGHT. We are the 100% of lazy fucks that don't do ANYTHING worthwhile yet somehow have created an industry to rule us and we're too fucking stupid to do anything about it. BECAUSE THAT WOULD TAKE EFFORT ISN'T THAT RIGHT AMERICA.
 
Fuck us all. FUCK EVERYTHING.
#143 Posted by spudtastic (542 posts) -

I'm sick of it, and what slays me is that foreign animosity is the same whether Bush or Obama is leader. It's all sour grapes that we are still living better than most nations.Simple jealousy.

#144 Edited by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

@N7 said:

@Enigma777: If we humiliate these lazy, incompetent cretins into obscurity, maybe we could get a level head in office instead of this stupid American Idol inspired shooting gallery where people say "I WILL MAKE THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE. VOTE FOR ME" No you won't. YOU CAN'T. Because we vote you into office and stop you from making any fucking change because we'd rather eat SHIT and JACK OFF to Simon Cowl crushing the dreams of a fucking 15 year old like anyone gives a shit what he says.

"If we humiliate these lazy, incompetent cretins into obscurity, maybe we could get a level head in office instead of this stupid American Idol inspired shooting gallery where people say "I WILL MAKE THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE. VOTE FOR ME" No you won't. YOU CAN'T. Because we vote you into office and stop you from making any fucking change because we'd rather eat SHIT and JACK OFF to Barack Hussein Obama crushing the dreams of all the fucking college grads and anyone who works to live a comfortable lifestyle."

Sounds much better.

(By the way, what was the excuse for when Democrats had the majority?)

Such a lazy excuse..

#145 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5137 posts) -

@N7 said:

@Enigma777: I agree completely. If it were up to me, voting wouldn't be so anonymous. It would be a public spectacle where people wear signs in the goddamn street saying who they voted for and why. If we humiliate these lazy, incompetent cretins into obscurity, maybe we could get a level head in office instead of this stupid American Idol inspired shooting gallery where people say "I WILL MAKE THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE. VOTE FOR ME" No you won't. YOU CAN'T. Because we vote you into office and stop you from making any fucking change because we'd rather eat SHIT and JACK OFF to Simon Cowl crushing the dreams of a fucking 15 year old like anyone gives a shit what he says. BUT WAIT! WE DO! We fucking pay people to tell other people to fuck off. HAHA HE HAS A DREAM WELL FUCK HIM GO FUCK OFF YOU FUCKING FUCK. This country is a joke! Or should I say, CUNTRY. We're fucked because we fuck ourselves STUPID. We've gotten to the point where we're so stupid and fat and lazy that the first time we actually vote someone competent into office, we tell him he can't change SHIT and accuse him of being a muslim! OOOO MUSLIM! BECAUSE THAT'S THE HOT BUTTON ISSUE RIGHT AMERICA. OF COURSE IT IS YOU DUMB FUCKS. This country is fucked and I hate everyone. The day the bombs start dropping is the day I CHEER GLEEFULLY at the natural selection that is about to take place. Fuck if I live or die, I don't give two fucks one way or another. But the sooner this planet is rid of our stupid cunt-faces the better chances our species has of actually progressing. Because sitting in front of a fucking television and pressing buttons so a virtual dipshit to jump around and shoot other virtual dipshits isn't helping ANYTHING. We are the 99%. YEAH FUCKING RIGHT. We are the 100% of lazy fucks that don't do ANYTHING worthwhile yet somehow have created an industry to rule us and we're too fucking stupid to do anything about it. BECAUSE THAT WOULD TAKE EFFORT ISN'T THAT RIGHT AMERICA. Fuck us all. FUCK EVERYTHING.

el oh eling hard at this

#146 Edited by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1724 posts) -
@Still_I_Cry said:

 the excuse for when Democrats had the majority?)


The 'excuse' is three-fold:  

1. While democrats had a majority, there were a number (somewhere around 10-15) 'Blue Dogs' - Democrats voted in with a far more conservative slant to their policy than normal.  

2. Filibusters:     http://newsjunkiepost.com/2010/03/02/republican-obstruction-at-work-record-number-of-filibusters/  
http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2010/03/01/gop-set-to-triple-filibuster-record.html 

How bad is GOP obstructionism in the Senate? Republican senators are on pace to more than triple  the previous record for uses of a filibuster in a Congress. In 2009, there were a record 112 cloture votes (the number of cloture votes is how you measure the use of filibusters). So far in 2010, there have already been more than 40 cloture votes. The previous record was in 1995-1996, when the Republican-controlled Senate required 50 cloture votes.

3. Lastly , and most significantly, money. I mean, I don't even need to give you the hoards of evidence and articles about this, because I remember one figure from one article. http://money.cnn.com/2009/09/08/news/economy/health_care_lobbying/index.htm 
 



WASHINGTON (CNNMoney.com) -- The fight over health care overhaul is on track to be the most expensive issue ever to hit the hallways of Congress.

The bill for lobbyists, television ads and political donations has topped $375 million -- or enough to pay the entire insurance tab for about 30,000 families a year.

The big spenders range from drug companies, hospitals and doctor groups to organizations that advocate for unions, immigrants and retirees.

The largest chunk has gone to direct lobbying of lawmakers and other policymakers. In the first half of 2009, the health care industry spent nearly $280 million on lobbyists, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. 

The lobbying figures alone are on track to exceed half-a-billion-dollar mark by the end of the year, which would be a record.
$500 million, spent ONLY on lobbying, ONLY on one issue, in ONLY one year. Who cares what side you're on, as long as you're getting paid. Millions. Every year.  
 
 
Oh, and here's something about the Blue Dogs from the same article:  
 


One of the biggest beneficiaries has been conservative Blue Dog Democrats.

Many Blue Dogs are on the fence about controversial health care issues, such as whether to create government-run insurance plans. Their votes are crucial to passing a final bill, so they also tend to attract more attention and campaign contributions than other Democrats and Republicans.

Health and accident insurers, HMOs and health services organizations increased their contributions to Blue Dogs from $106,200 in the first quarter of 2009 to $122,650 in the second, according to the Center for Responsive Politics.

That is a 15% increase. By comparison, Democrats not in the Blue Dog group saw a 3% hike in contributions. 

#147 Edited by SlashDance (1803 posts) -

People love to hold on to their stereotypical ideas. Americans are fat, stupid and arrogant, the french are cowardly and presumptuous, etc etc.

It doesn't get to me. Smart people are not like that.

#148 Posted by Penelope (225 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@c0kemusheen said:

@Dagbiker said:

Telling people to fuck off is not doing america any favors.

What the fuck did you expect me to say. So because I'm American it's perfectly acceptable to deny me service, would you say the same thing if I was German. I doubt it

Actually i wouldn't, if you where German, i would say

Telling people to fuck off is not doing Germany any favors.

This made my day.

Exactly. All c0ke did is prove him right. Next time, be the bigger person, be polite, step away, and maybe, just maybe, he might even re-evaluate his opinions on us Americans.

All you did was solidify his opinion. Points go to Dagbiker for pointing this out with more wit and brevity than I have.

I live abroad and have since I got out of high school (God, six years ago?). I imagine this has allowed me more insight into this topic than most probably have.

Simply put, for the most part, stereotypes about Americans are right.

We're generally boorish, selfish, obnoxious, know-it-alls who are too busy waving our foam #1 fingers and guns to realize what a charmed life we have and that the rest of the world rightfully resents us for being bullies. These are the general faults of our population. Don't worry, other populations have their own shared problems.

However, most people also realize that this is simply a general rule. Obviously not everyone fits into that mold and most sane everyday people know that. They give people they first meet the benefit of the doubt, but it's still a preconception that you have to prove you aren't.

I work against pre-conceived notions of my nationality every day over here in China. I'm polite. I'm quiet. I work hard. I go out of my way to be nice and helpful. My Chinese is goddamn awful so far, but I always say thank you, and apologize when trying to buy something or communicate with a Chinese person.

I am acutely aware of how my country is viewed. I realize that my every action is giving these people some small bit of data to store away in their heads as to how to view Americans.

Essentially, I fight the impression that people like c0ke give of Americans every day. You are a representative of your country. Knock it off. Be better than that.

Take the higher road next time. You're making my life more difficult than it needs to be.

#149 Posted by BonOrbitz (2156 posts) -

I would love to comment, but I'm afraid of the NDAA.

#150 Posted by LethalKi11ler (1405 posts) -

@c0kemusheen: I'm considered an Arab even though I was born in Canada and lived in the Netherlands. I get 'random searches' all the time :) You just start to accept it and wait for it to pass.