Question about downloading music

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Mushir

If I buy a DVD of lets say, The Lion King. And then I want to listen to the Circle Of Life song from that movie. Will it be illegal to download it for free even if I have bought the DVD? Do I have to buy the soundtrack?

I thought that since I bought the movie I also kinda bought the soundtrack. Hmmm, not really sure what to think...
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By turbomonkey138

didnt i already post a thread about this kinda thing ?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Diamond

Ethically I think it's fair.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Jayge_

Technically there is a Lion King OST that you can buy.

But if it's not available at a reasonable price or anything, fuck it and download it.
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say no, as long as you do not plan to distribute the song to others for free or for a price. Also, I don't think the FBI is going to be knocking at your door for one song....

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mushir
Everyones_A_Critic said:
"I'd say no, as long as you do not plan to distribute the song to others for free or for a price. Also, I don't think the FBI is going to be knocking at your door for one song...."
Haha I know they aren't come to my house and take to jail or anything. I just wanted to know if this is considered wrong?
inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By inkeiren
Diamond said:
"Ethically I think it's fair."
Quoted for truth.
I also think if you have a game disc and it breaks it's fair to download it. I feel this also applies for DVDs.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Diamond
inkeiren said:
"Diamond said:
Quoted for truth.I also think if you have a game disc and it breaks it's fair to download it. I feel this also applies for DVDs."
Or if you can't play the game you bought because of DRM, it's OK to get a crack or download it to play it correctly.
Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mushir
inkeiren said:
"Diamond said:
Quoted for truth.I also think if you have a game disc and it breaks it's fair to download it. I feel this also applies for DVDs."
So that would apply to VHS tapes as well right? Cause Id love to download some movies I had on VHS that don't work anymore.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Diamond
Twilight said:
"inkeiren said:
"Diamond said:
So that would apply to VHS tapes as well right? Cause Id love to download some movies I had on VHS that don't work anymore.
"
I mean technically I think those cases might even be legal.  When you buy a game or movie, you're buying a license to that game or movie.  So even if the physical product breaks, you still own the license to continue enjoying the product.
ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ParanoidFreak

It's still illegal, but morally I would not feel bad.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By turbomonkey138
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Wolverine
Twilight said:
"If I buy a DVD of lets say, The Lion King. And then I want to listen to the Circle Of Life song from that movie. Will it be illegal to download it for free even if I have bought the DVD? Do I have to buy the soundtrack?

I thought that since I bought the movie I also kinda bought the soundtrack. Hmmm, not really sure what to think...
"
Technically it is illegal but you could always just get the circle of life on iTunes for 99 cents.
DavidPalmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By DavidPalmer

It is illegal and usually that means it's immoral as well, but it doesn't seem to bother anyone that much. Downloading music is so widespread now, especially with younger people, I don't know if it's going to be stoppable at all, even though that would be great for record companies.

MSG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15  Edited By MSG

Go ahead.  I've heard that record companies are giving up on suing people in hopes of creating a new and better business model.  So download away! 

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By xMP44x

As far as I can remember, downloading music for free is alright - provided you are not selling it or passing it on. As long as you keep the music for yourself, it seems to be alright.