• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Dark_Moolahs (9 posts) -

So I've been told that inbreeding results in pretty bad offsprings. Generally speaking, inbreeding is not good. But aren't we all(every single human being on this planet) descended from a man and a woman? That means there were only 2 people in the beginning. These 2 people breed and out we came. So doesn't this mean we have been inbreeding from the start?

#2 Posted by Drebin_893 (2933 posts) -

No one can argue with this man's science.

#3 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

Amazing.

#4 Posted by Dark_Moolahs (9 posts) -

What? Does this mean they were different types of humans from the start?

#5 Posted by PenguinDust (12638 posts) -

You're forgetting about the aliens, man. I saw it on the History Channel. Aliens got up and biz-zay with the humans to make babies.

#6 Posted by Inkerman (1455 posts) -

There was no definitive 'start' of homo sapiens as a species, rather a population of homo erectus gradually changed from the usual population, and eventual an individual we could call the first 'true' homo sapien born into this transitory group, and able to breed with them, producing the next generation, and so on and so forth until the transient group became the homo sapiens we recognise today. There was no 'adam and eve' style situation. 

However, we are all interrelated to one another at various stages of our ancestry.

#7 Posted by AndrewB (7691 posts) -

Wait, this isn't the Giant Bomb Seaserpent...

#8 Posted by imsh_pl (3314 posts) -

@Dark_Moolahs said:

So I've been told that inbreeding results in pretty bad offsprings. Generally speaking, inbreeding is not good. But aren't we all(every single human being on this planet) descended from a man and a woman? That means there were only 2 people in the beginning. These 2 people breed and out we came. So doesn't this mean we have been inbreeding from the start?

That's not really how evolution works... there were no 'first two humans', because evolution is a gradual and group phenomenon.

But yeah, we are all related, more or less.

#9 Posted by Incapability (216 posts) -

Someone call the science department, we have a problem on our hands.

#10 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I'm guessing he read about the genetic Adam and Eve and thought they existed at the same time.

#11 Posted by Rattle618 (1456 posts) -

Nice try, but you are not fooling anyone with this "we" business. This is clearly an extraterrestrial lifeform attempting to get vital information on us, tell him nothing.

#12 Edited by OmegaChosen (647 posts) -

If you believe in the Adam and Eve origin, sure.

Lilith tends to skews things in that scenario though.

#13 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5101 posts) -

@Rattle618 said:

Nice try, but you are not fooling anyone with this "we" business. This is clearly an extraterrestrial lifeform attempting to get vital information on us, tell him nothing.

*Calling XCOM*

#14 Posted by Brodehouse (10130 posts) -

Do more science, sir. It will serve you far better than religious dogma.

Unless you're talking about Mitochondrial Eve, which in itself you merely have to look at how a family tree works.

#15 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2112 posts) -

Just for the record, inbreeding can be bad because the whole group starts to share the same genes, so if the progenitor has a weakness like getting cataracts and going blind at an early age, then almost everyone in the group will have the same problem. If it's a one time thing, having a child with all kinds of birth defects and less intelligence is just a likely for non-related parents. The main reason it's not accepted is because it's against our society's morals, which is a good thing in the end because genetic diversity strengthens the species.

#16 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (6002 posts) -

< It's like......We're ALL connected Maaaaannnn >
#17 Posted by cmblasko (1352 posts) -

Human stat points are usually balanced out compared to other races. That makes them an ideal jack-of-all-trades for those who don't want to commit to a specific set of abilities. In most cases, humans are both the dominant and most populous race in the world.

#18 Posted by Kaiserreich (741 posts) -

We're all like brothers and sisters maaaaan.

#19 Posted by Morrow (1823 posts) -

I wonder if he's a troll or really believes bible shit.

I hope he's a troll.

#20 Posted by Village_Guy (2665 posts) -

The bible is full of weird shit, considering that Adam and Eve only had sons, they had to be boning their mother pretty hard too.

#21 Posted by Sargus (732 posts) -

This thread doesn't need to be an attack on religion, guys. You can still answer his question by saying "Yes, inbreeding was kinda a thing back in ye olden days." Even Biblical scholars will say as much.

#22 Posted by Brodehouse (10130 posts) -
@cmblasko

Human stat points are usually balanced out compared to other races. That makes them an ideal jack-of-all-trades for those who don't want to commit to a specific set of abilities. In most cases, humans are both the dominant and most populous race in the world.

Humans are the standard by which all races of the galaxy are judged by.
#23 Posted by Brodehouse (10130 posts) -
@Sargus

This thread doesn't need to be an attack on religion, guys. You can still answer his question by saying "Yes, inbreeding was kinda a thing back in ye olden days." Even Biblical scholars will say as much.

His question is "If everyone was born from two people, was there a lot of inbreeding?"

The scientific answer MUST refute the original presupposition that 'everyone was born from two people' due to it being factually incorrect. It is impossible to answer the question if the presupposition is causal, and factually incorrect.

Consider the question "Since the moon and sun are the same size, is that why they are the same size in the sky?" To even speak an answer, the presupposition must be refuted as factually wrong.

Your answer, that we should just say yes, says that we must accept an incorrect presupposition and then agree with him based on those grounds, because... Why? It's the nicer thing to do?
#24 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Village_Guy:

To be fair, the Bible actually addresses this plot hole.

"Hey, Seth. We're your nameless sisters. Let's fuck."

*they fuck*

"OK, bye."

#25 Posted by StarvingGamer (8558 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

@Sargus

His question is "If everyone was born from two people, was there a lot of inbreeding?" The scientific answer MUST refute the original presupposition that 'everyone was born from two people' due to it being factually incorrect. It is impossible to answer the question if the presupposition is causal, and factually incorrect. Consider the question "Since the moon and sun are the same size, is that why they are the same size in the sky?" To even speak an answer, the presupposition must be refuted as factually wrong. Your answer, that we should just say yes, says that we must accept an incorrect presupposition and then agree with him based on those grounds, because... Why? It's the nicer thing to do?

Hahaha, I don't know why but this post is making me laugh. It's probably the juxtaposition of the inanity of this thread and the intelligent earnestness of your reply.

#26 Edited by rachelepithet (1393 posts) -

#27 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

@cmblasko

Though humans thrive best in narrow environmental conditions, they adapt well to a wide range of climates. Humans have a high natural diplomacy check.

#28 Posted by ShaggE (6715 posts) -

@boocreepyfootdoctor said:

So where do Cain and Abel factor in? Is The Undertaker the spirit of Able. And if "The spirit of the Undertaker lives within the soul of all Mankind" that means we are all related to Cactus Jack? #incest

Dude Love, actually. And since the Bible condemns Dude Love, that explains original sin.

#29 Posted by Animasta (14727 posts) -

@ShaggE said:

So where do Cain and Abel factor in? Is The Undertaker the spirit of Able. And if "The spirit of the Undertaker lives within the soul of all Mankind" that means we are all related to Cactus Jack? #incest

Dude Love, actually. And since the Bible condemns Dude Love, that explains original sin.

yeah but what happens when he's just mick foley?

#30 Posted by lexyz123 (17 posts) -

Hmm there is a very respected theory, one that says the origin of our species comes from 1 singular female specimen, and that her DNA can be traced so far as the origins of mankind, and we all have a trace of this gal´s DNA in our own code, interesting stuff to be sure, still maybe a possibility...

#31 Posted by ShaggE (6715 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@ShaggE said:

#32 Posted by paulwade1984 (479 posts) -

I have flushed entire civilizations down the toilet. Just think about that. Obviously I am God.

#33 Posted by Animasta (14727 posts) -

@ShaggE said:

@Animasta said:

@ShaggE said:

it all makes sense now

#34 Posted by Spoonman671 (4776 posts) -

Guys guys guys!

Shut your face.

#35 Posted by Razorlution (186 posts) -

So...there's still people who think like this in the world?

#36 Posted by Christoffer (1921 posts) -

I don't think single cell organisms could be called "a man and a woman".

#37 Posted by Brodehouse (10130 posts) -
@HaltIamReptar

@Brodehouse said:

@cmblasko

Though humans thrive best in narrow environmental conditions, they adapt well to a wide range of climates. Humans have a high natural diplomacy check.

Humans are eligible to take the Human Perseverance feat, giving a +1 bonus to all saving throws.

@StarvingGamer I do aim to please!
#38 Posted by Pr1mus (3951 posts) -

@TheManWithNoPlan:

#39 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -
#40 Posted by TMThomsen (2083 posts) -

@lexyz123 said:

Hmm there is a very respected theory, one that says the origin of our species comes from 1 singular female specimen, and that her DNA can be traced so far as the origins of mankind, and we all have a trace of this gal´s DNA in our own code, interesting stuff to be sure, still maybe a possibility...

What are you even talking about?

#41 Posted by SmilingPig (1341 posts) -

I would hook up with one of my cousins if it would mean saving the human race, or guarantying that my DNA lives on, or if I would be really drunk, or if she would be unconscious and I would be fairly certain that she would stay that way... I am only human!

#42 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

Dollar goes in, soda comes out. You can't explain that!

#43 Edited by Scooper (7881 posts) -

@TMThomsen said:

@lexyz123 said:

There is some evidence that our entire population once dwindled in size to maybe a couple hundred people on the east coast of Africa due to a horrible climatic change, probably from a volcanic eruption somewhere in Indonesia. We know that everyone who isn't African (or those who's recent ancestry are) all probably descended from a small handfull of Africans that managed to escape Africa some 70 thousand or so years ago. So it's not impossible that a few women gave birth to the humans that went on to populate all of the rest of the world. (ps. those facts and numbers are vague bit of my memory so they're probably not entirely accurate so I suggest spending a little time researching it because it's very interesting).

#44 Posted by LaszloKovacs (1214 posts) -

I AM A COLLECTION OF ORGANIC MOLECULES NAMED VINCE MCMAHON

#45 Edited by TMThomsen (2083 posts) -

@Scooper: Yeah, we're basically all Africans. I was simply stumbled by the claim that the entire human species could be tracked back to 1 single woman.

Sure you aren't mixing things up? This article mentions nothing about a our species getting close to extinction.

#46 Posted by Brodehouse (10130 posts) -
@TMThomsen

@lexyz123 said:

He's referring to Mitochondrial Eve, but he is mistaken on a couple fronts.

Mitochondrial Eve does not represent 'the origin of the species', she represents the nearest common genetic ancestor of extant humanity. In the same way that you may have a cousin four times removed from a vastly different branch of your family, but connect at your great-great-great-grandmother, Mitochondrial Eve represents the connection of humanity thousands of thousands upon thousands of times removed.
#47 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -

@TMThomsen said:

@Scooper: Yeah, we're basically all Africans. I was simply stumbled by the claim that the entire human species (Homo Erectus) could be tracked back to 1 single woman.

Also, I wouldn't say there is "evidence" of our species ever dwindling down to a couple hundred people. Hypotheses perhaps, but not evidence.

I'd say that genetic evidence isn't bad evidence. But yeah, it's no absolute and has much room to move about, but that's the joy :)

#48 Posted by Brodehouse (10130 posts) -
@TheHumanDove

Dollar goes in, soda comes out. You can't explain that!

Well how did the fountain get there? How'd it get there?!
#49 Posted by Daneian (1251 posts) -

We have, like, mutations, man.

#50 Posted by Carousel (418 posts) -

how can the bible be a lie when God wrote it?