Questions for vegetarians ethically opposed to eating meat

Hausdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Hausdog

How come not all of you are the batshit insane Ingrid Newkirk types? I know that if someone were eating someone who I felt had just as much of a right to live as I did (such as, let's say, other people), I'd be going off on them constantly.

Why do some of you make a distinction between meat and fish? Fish have brains. They're animals.

If your options were killing and eating chickens in the middle of the desert or dying, which do you choose?

For the Christians, how do you feel knowing that your savior who never sinned killed and ate fish?

Also, I hope I'm not sounding too combative. I'm just curious, I'm not trying to accuse you of anything.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By TheHBK

Hey, if animals didn't want to get eaten, they would not taste so delicious.  I like pig, it tastes so good, bacon, sausage, pork chops, and cow, that tastes good too, noce big juicy burgers with extra grease on them.  Fish and chicken are good too.  Like to grill me up some salmon.  Love me some vegetables too.  Asparagus and some sun dried tomatoes.  Good shit.  Also, Jesus just didn't eat pig, cuz he was jewish.  But I am sure he would be have chowed down on some juicy burgers and fish filets from McDonalds.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Wolverine

Meat is practically necessary for health reasons. There are not many other sources of protein besides meat.

Falconet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Falconet

some of vegetarians do distinct  between fish  and meat because they have been told that fish doesn't feel the pain.
a real vegetarian would choose dying IMO,there is no difference between eating a chicken or a human
and for protein soya bean(soya) is a really good source i think.

justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By justinnotjason
Wolverine said:
"Meat is practically necessary for health reasons. There are not many other sources of protein besides meat. "
Actually that's not true at all.

Scientists have actually found that the protein from meat can actually not be digested correctly and can be expelled without having been absorbed. Now without a direct link to the article it's hearsay, but I'll follow it up by saying anything you get from animals can be easily attained in other places.

Meat is definitely not needed for health reasons solely. 

That being said, I enjoy a very meat filled diet :)
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Wolverine
JustinNotJason said:
"Wolverine said:
"Meat is practically necessary for health reasons. There are not many other sources of protein besides meat. "
Actually that's not true at all. Scientists have actually found that the protein from meat can actually not be digested correctly and can be expelled without having been absorbed. Now without a direct link to the article it's hearsay, but I'll follow it up by saying anything you get from animals can be easily attained in other places. Meat is definitely not needed for health reasons solely.  That being said, I enjoy a very meat filled diet :)"
Agreed, meat is delicious.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By Arkthemaniac

The bible says you can eat fish and bird. You can't eat red-meated animals.

justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By justinnotjason
Arkthemaniac said:
"The bible says you can eat fish and bird. You can't eat red-meated animals."
The Bible ..........never mind.

Wolverine
said:
"JustinNotJason said:
"Wolverine said:
Actually that's not true at all. Scientists have actually found that the protein from meat can actually not be digested correctly and can be expelled without having been absorbed. Now without a direct link to the article it's hearsay, but I'll follow it up by saying anything you get from animals can be easily attained in other places. Meat is definitely not needed for health reasons solely.  That being said, I enjoy a very meat filled diet :)"
Agreed, meat is delicious."
Indeed it is. I commend your ability to miss the point :-P
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By Arkthemaniac
JustinNotJason said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
That was in response to:

Hausdog said:
For the Christians, how do you feel knowing that your savior who never sinned killed and ate fish?
I don't listen to the bible for eating habits, just calling out one of his questions as being stupid.
justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By justinnotjason
Arkthemaniac said:
"JustinNotJason said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
That was in response to:

Hausdog said:
I don't listen to the bible for eating habits, just calling out one of his questions as being stupid.
"
Noted. I saw your answer and was a little thrown.
Chalk one up for not reading.
Hausdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hausdog

That last question was mostly because there was this one girl I know who's Christian and a vegetarian. I'm not close enough to her to ask it, so I'm just asking strangers on the internet instead. She doesn't eat fish or bird either.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Lashe

I'm slowly going off meat, actually. It started with my growing dislike for cold, cooked meats. And then I would refuse to eat anything that contained visible fat or jelly. Right about now, I prefer the taste of quorn chicken to chicken, nice texture and taste -- pretty much just a lean chicken in all honesty.

I will still eat meats, but they have to be real quality cuts or it just doesn't sit right with me. I can't bear the thought of overly processed meats any more.

However I don't see anything wrong with the food chain per se - for generations animals have been the main source of protein and, to an extent, the source of a healthy diet. We do have the ability now to eliminate the need for it but the processes needed to rid meat from our diet in favour of biologically engineered fungi (quorn) or any other meat substitute tends to be a lot more work than the killing of an animal and farming, frankly.

It is hard to imagine morality and ethics coming into the equation in poorer countries where the technology and research is scarce, and business pretty much thrives upon the model of cheap input -> expensive output = profit. Also take into consideration that it is still a relatively new school of thought that sees animals as equal to human beings, and for centuries they have been seen as inequal to us (Rene Descartes would be one such example of a reknowned and influential personality who believed that animals were very much second to humans). As such, meat will still be both an affordable, primarily nutritious and wholly acceptable (by many) part of our diets for some time to come.

Shazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Shazam

I want to start this off by saying I love meat, meat is the best part of a meal. I would eat a three course meat dish if it was healthy. MEAT MEAT MEAT!

But, I like meat that was treated kindly while it was alive. Just because we have dominion over animals does not give us the right to stick 'em in pens all of their natural lives and not let them exercise to get a more tender cut of meat. Animal cruelty is something I just cannot abide so I very carefully select my meat purchases. Eating meat is a very natural thing, animals have done it since the dawn of time. Circle of life and all that jazz. Animals have not been however, mass breeding their prey, trapping their young and tying 'em up. I recognise the huge demand for meat now and time has moved on but chickens stuffed into cages no bigger then themselves and stacked one on top the other? No. It's not necessary. Meat is in constant demand but does anyone really need it at the price of unimaginable suffering? Give me meat, but give me meat that is ethically produced is what I say!