#1 Posted by Obinice (275 posts) -

Hey guys! I have a thread about my Endurance Run already, but this episode is particularly special and perhaps interesting at least in concept, for some of you out there.

Sometimes we want to work on something together, but we're Internet buddies and never meet in real life. Sometimes the things we want to work on are video game videos. In this case, I did some episodes of an Endurance Run with a friend of mine who's up in Scotland while I was in England.

I used ManyCam to capture the preview window of the software I use to record the Playstation 2 video, and turn it into a "webcam" image that software like Skype can easilly accept.

So when I skyped with Ben, he was able to see the Playstation 2 screen. I also needed to be able to record his voice and mine, and I did this with MP3 Skype Recorder, which recorded his voice in one channel and mine in the other, which is handy if any seperate audio editing needs to be done (noise removal for example). I merged the channels of course, it would sound weird if my voice was coming from the left and his from the right.

With simple, free pieces of software like those, it really isn't all that difficult to join two people producing content like this over great distances, even without an amazingly fast internet connection. The only thing I didn't do was stream the Playstation 2 audio to Ben, because I couldn't be bothered to figure it out on such short notice (I only decided to do this today), lol.

So go forth uninhibited by the distance between you, and have fun!

#2 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1197 posts) -

Oh cool. A user made ER.

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Well, this is awesome to hear. Now all I need to do is figure out how to resolve my microphone problems, and I can make horrible videos (that I'll have the knowledge not to post)!

#4 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1197 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Well, this is awesome to hear. Now all I need to do is figure out how to resolve my microphone problems, and I can make horrible videos (that I'll have the knowledge not to post)!

I was having the worst Mic problems for the longest time. Different mics on different computers but still weird problems where loud noises would happen (for the people listening to me) and my mics general volume would lower. Idk wtf happened.

#5 Posted by Obinice (275 posts) -

@MasturbatingestBear said:

Oh cool. A user made ER.

Oh cool. A passive aggressive forum troll. I hope the small tips help you regardless :)

#6 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@MasturbatingestBear

My problem is that it barely registers in Audacity. It's a USB microphone; I'm sure that's relevant.
#7 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1197 posts) -

@Obinice said:

Oh cool. A user made ER.

Oh cool. A passive aggressive forum troll. I hope the small tips help you regardless :)

Whoa there friend. I'm not trolling you. Persona 3 is a game that interests me and user run ER's clearly inspired by the GB ER's interest me.

#8 Edited by Obinice (275 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@MasturbatingestBear: My problem is that it barely registers in Audacity. It's a USB microphone; I'm sure that's relevant.

I'm not sure of USB microphones, but there's often a microphone boost setting hidden in sound recording settings that goes a long way to helping quiet microphones. I don't see why it's not turned on all the time, I never have it off ^_^

@MasturbatingestBear My sincerest apologies! It's hard to take meaning through text sometimes :)

#9 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1197 posts) -

My problem was that on skype on different laptops with different mics. My friends would hear loud popping noises and complain to me. Then I realized they wouldn't be able to hear me afterwords. For some reason these loud noises actually lowered my mic's volume. So I had to constantly keep the control panel open with the microphone settings. It was the most insane things I had ever heard and never found a solution.

#10 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@Obinice

Tried that; there's no boost option. I'd elaborate more, but I don't have my microphone with me, so I don't see it going anywhere. Instead, let's talk about something that can happen, maybe: will Hypercam 2 work as a webcam if I tell Skype that it's a webcam?
#11 Posted by Obinice (275 posts) -

My problem was that on skype on different laptops with different mics. My friends would hear loud popping noises and complain to me. Then I realized they wouldn't be able to hear me afterwords. For some reason these loud noises actually lowered my mic's volume. So I had to constantly keep the control panel open with the microphone settings. It was the most insane things I had ever heard and never found a solution.

The only thing I could think of that could account for the microphone volume lowering, would be Skype's reaction to sudden loud noises. If the Skype auto-adjust volume settings are on, it could well turn the volume right down to compensate for the noises?

@Video_Game_King I just googled Hypercam 2, it's a piece of screen capture software right? I don't know the specifics of that software, but ManyCam will capture any region of your screen as a webcam. So if you were capturing a window say, with Hypercam, you could be capturing the same window at the same time with ManyCam, and using that as the webcam?