Quite the month!

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Edited By rorie

It’s been a heck of a busy month around these parts, and I haven’t been around much on the forums, so I figured I’d throw out a little #personalblog and give you all the #details you’ve no doubt been #craving. #Winning! #hashtag

September started off with one of our semi-annual sales, and anytime we have one of those, my support email inbox starts getting pretty crazy. To give you an idea of what kind of volumes we’re talking about, we normally resolve around 20-30 support emails a day, consisting of everything ranging from instantly-ignorable spam, to tougher account management issues, to some truly crazy stuff that people send along for whatever reason. (Last week a lady emailed the Comicvine support address with nothing but a subject and body consisting of the line: “I hope Dracula film impaled actors are not real life suffering this.” Me too, lady!) That average kind of goes out the window during sale periods, though. This sale period was a bit weird since we started letting people know that they could get down to the sale price by emailing support a week before the sale started (since it overlapped a bit with the sale from the previous year and people generally don’t like to renew at full price during a sale), with the following result:

No Caption Provided

So, yeah, during sale periods the amount of support emails we get go a bit crazy. For the most part, these are people who get renewed at the full price with a store coupon who want a refund down to the sale price without a store coupon. I’m always happy to do that, but it’s a bit labor intensive, involving:

1. Opening their support ticket in desk.com.

2. Finding their account in our Giant Bomb CMS and looking up their latest store code.

3. Searching for that code in our store CMS and canceling it.

4. Going back to the GB CMS and clicking through to their account in our payment processor.

5. Finding their last transaction and issuing a partial refund for $15 or $20.

6. Clicking back over to desk.com and resolving their issue with a macro.

That’s the best-case scenario, where the account is easily findable via an email address search; if it’s tougher to find the account or the transaction, this can result in a lot of back-and-forth before we get everything sorted. It’s even more annoying on a laptop since I have to go through at least four tabs to get a refund issued; luckily I just wound up working from home for most of these days and used my two big monitors to get most of this done relatively quickly. But even simple tasks multiplied a few hundred times can get pretty tedious!\

Then I spent four and a half days on a houseboat on Lake Shasta with a bunch of people who think Burning Man is lame now and who really like psytrance. I went wakeboarding for the first time and got my first concussion. It was very hot. (This is the four days of dead time in the middle of that chart up there; there were some other dead spots from when I was away for a weekend or a day getting the move ready, but that was the big one.)

Then I got back and started the long process of moving from San Francisco to Oakland with my girlfriend. Moving’s never fun, but the end result is nice! Two dogs and two cats is a lot to have around all the time, but it is fun trying to figure out who pooped where based on the consistency and color of said poop. I am basically a CSI agent now.

No Caption Provided

And then I got to dogsit for Mary’s dog Simone for five days! That little guy is super cute but has a huge amount of energy! I decided to work from home that week since I was still unpacking and everything, so I managed to keep an eye on him most of the time. It was a good thing I did, too, since he needed a few hours of running around every morning before he would settle down for a nap. I took to just walking up and down our stairs with my Nexus 6P™ phone or Nexus 7™ tablet as he followed me around, just to let him get a bit worn out. In these troubled times, I think we can all rest easy knowing that the power and reliability of the Android™ operation system is there for us in these trying times.

That’s not even counting WoW: Legion! I haven’t had as much time to play as I would have liked. My Prot Paladin is 110 and edging slightly above an 840 ilvl, but I’ve only done a few heroics on him. I haven’t had time to check out the LFRs or stream anything, but the DSL situation in the new place is a bit shaky to see if it’d allow for that. But we’ll see!

Anyway, things are slightly slower now, so hopefully I’ll be able to start getting ready for the fall. We’re working on another batch of t-shirts and some other things for the store and laying a bit of groundwork for getting the store updated more regularly in 2017, as well as general other behind-the-scenes planning stuff. I’ve also been trying to get more writing done for this blog, but, as the fact that I started this entry like three weeks ago should show, that’s not always easy. We’ll see!

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Nice use of trademarks.

Doggies are nice, and so are kitties, and I'm sure they are a lot of fun to have around. :D

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@rorie said:

In these troubled times, I think we can all rest easy knowing that the power and reliability of the Android™ operation system is there for us in these trying times.

I love you @rorie hahaha.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Those impalements were real. Shits fucked. Lady was on to something.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Onemanarmyy

I don't know why, but i always enjoy knowing what kind of software / solutions GB uses. Desk.com is a new one for me :D

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

@rorie: I got the Hardcore Dave shirt today. Thank you so much. Hope it didn't add to the stress of this month!

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

You probably don't get enough credit for it, but thanks for manning the support email, especially during premium sales.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like these behind-the-scenes things. Thanks for all you do around here.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Rorie if you ever need/want a support backup I'm ready and willing.

I'm pretty dang good with compooters and I too love me some puppies.

Thanks for the blog, and congrats on the move! Moving is the worst.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dfc61a98bcce
deactivated-5dfc61a98bcce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Wow it seems like a better web developer could make it so there is an admin but to automatically do all of steps 2 through 5.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

Is the French Bulldog in that picture Simone or one of your dogs? Its pretty dang adorable no matter who it is. Congrats on the move too Rorie!

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#11  Edited By audioBusting

That refund process sounds rough! I feel like it shouldn't be too difficult for a web developer to put in a one-click solution for refunds in the CMS, but I don't know anything about what the stack looks like. Anyway, loving this Android™ #ad #content!

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

it is fun trying to figure out who pooped where based on the consistency and color of said poop.

*pulls out notebook labelled "cool game ideas for future reference" and makes a note

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Awww Rorie, I just looked up when I sent that superfluous message about the Giant Bomb survey that you had nothing to do with, and it lined up with when you were most busy with this (September 13th), and I didn't even follow up after you said to email the suggestions if I had them so you could send them to the right people.

I feel like a right jerk now... and while at Uni, I don't have any pets to comfort me :(

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Is the French Bulldog in that picture Simone or one of your dogs? Its pretty dang adorable no matter who it is. Congrats on the move too Rorie!

I believe that would be Simone as it looks identical to the dog Mary Kish takes pictures of on Instagram.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Keep fighting the good fight, Rorie!

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@e30bmw said:
@rorie said:

In these troubled times, I think we can all rest easy knowing that the power and reliability of the Android™ operation system is there for us in these trying times.

I love you @rorie hahaha.

It's nice to see Rorie fighting the good fight :).

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Glad to see you squeezing in some rest here and there you totally deserve it Rorie. As a person that almost never goes on vacation myself because of work obligations I feel ya.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LeStephan

Thanks for doing a great job as usual rorie! ^^

Avatar image for joe_mccallister
Joe_McCallister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Working in support myself my heart and head aches for you man. Thanks for putting up with it all and being all around awesome. I also immediately started thinking how we can automate this damn infernal thing for you!

zombievac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rorie if you ever need/want a support backup I'm ready and willing.

I'm pretty dang good with compooters and I too love me some puppies.

Thanks for the blog, and congrats on the move! Moving is the worst.

FYI, normally this is handled by submitting a resume and cover letter and examples of your work, and then maybe following up with someone (maybe Rorie) if you don't hear back, just to check in and thank them for their time in reviewing it. :)

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By rorie

Wow it seems like a better web developer could make it so there is an admin but to automatically do all of steps 2 through 5.

I'd be surprised if anyone could really automate all of that in such a way that it worked reliably. Dealing with three or four different websites each with its own API and CMSes would be taxing.

DrJonez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DrJonez

I will never understand what a pet provides that makes regularly seeing/smelling/touching its shit worthwhile. Absolutely revolting. Ugh. :/

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@drjonez said:

I will never understand what a pet provides that makes regularly seeing/smelling/touching it's shit worthwhile. Absolutely revolting. Ugh. :/

I'm in your camp on this matter, but some people just feel better about their day when they see their pet and either don't mind the responsibility or the love they feel for their pet far overshadows any annoyance they feel about the work it takes to keep one.

an_ancient

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:
  1. Opening their support ticket in desk.com.

2. Finding their account in our Giant Bomb CMS and looking up their latest store code.

3. Searching for that code in our store CMS and canceling it.

4. Going back to the GB CMS and clicking through to their account in our payment processor.

5. Finding their last transaction and issuing a partial refund for $15 or $20.

6. Clicking back over to desk.com and resolving their issue with a macro.

Loading Video...