Quitting job without notice!

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

UrbanSanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By UrbanSanta

Poll Quitting job without notice! (13 votes)

You're a quitter and quitters never win! 54%
You did the right thing kiddo. 92%
Let me see what people think! 54%

Hey, I work as a seasonal sales floor person at a major retail store and I am going to quit after 2 weeks. My reason to justify why it is okay to quit would be that it conflicts with my college finals and there is no way to negotiate around it. I first took this job believing that it would be an activity I could do on the side to make some money. It turned into a full on schedule with me working from afternoons all the way until closing. Being that it is my fist job and my firsts semester in college, I could not handle the stress. I do not plan on using this place as a reference. What I want to know is if I am justified in making this decision or I am just a quitter. If you guys have had any experience in this situation, I really want to hear from you!

• 
Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@fr0br0: It all depends on where you work. Please note I'm not talking about in general in my previous posts, I specifically noted that it was just two weeks in. If you've been at a place for a year and you suddenly quit without notice, yeah that's a really crappy thing to do. But people leaving jobs within a few weeks of starting is a totally normal thing to do.Where I work, you have a 90 day period upon hiring in which you can leave at any time without notice (and also can be fired without reason). People quit within a month all the time and we just shrug it off usually. If the place is so severely understaffed that losing a fresh new hire is going to sink the ship, you've got bigger issues. I've been in that situation, where the place was too cheap to properly staff themselves, so it would get to the point where they would try and refuse sick calls and would put way too much responsibility on new people, which would usually make them quit, causing a vicious circle of unhappy people and too much stress.

@zevvion: Well said. My current boss has that exact mentality you are describing and he is regarded quite highly because of it. He puts employee happiness before all else (because happy employees work harder). He hires students knowing they will be leaving at some point (he refers to the job as a stepping stone for students, not and end goal). He also knows that we have a lot to deal with for school so we can choose our schedules. In general, he's very flexible. He schedules assuming there will be at least a few sick calls each week, which makes it so that if something comes up and you can only work half a day, he'll let you. I had a huge assignment sprung on me last year with a very short time before it was due and emailed him with two days notice so I asked for half days and he, without question, said I could have the weekend off and wished me luck with my assignment. I also typically prefer to work 4 days during summer but once he accidentally scheduled me for 5, so he said I could choose a day and take it off (about half the staff does 4 days a week. I've never been pressured to do 5 days in the 3 years I've been here). He's one of the few managers I've found that puts employee's lives above work and it's why most of the people working at the place have been there for at least a few years (the average is somewhere around 4-5). If a person calls in sick he simply wishes that they get better and that he'll see them when they feel better.

Unfortunately, it sounds like many of the people in this thread manage/get managed in a way opposite to this. The way my old work was. Awful MBA-ized retail where everything is run by people who only see numbers. Where every person is just a number of hours filled into a schedule, and perhaps they are deliberately understaffed to save money, causing extra stress on employees (and making it hard to hire people since they will immediately see what is happening and then bail out), or talking about money or stupid MBA bullshit statistics (how many credit card applications people got, sales percentages, that crap) with people who should not have to worry about it. Where they would "lose" time off requests and try and refuse sick calls for people in understaffed departments by always requiring a doctor's note (I can't even see how this is legal). I've had to do no-shows because they've refused to give me a day off when I have finals that day. I felt awful for doing it but it had become abundantly clear they didn't actually care about me or my education so I decided finally to do the same and stop caring about them. I will never work at a place where that type of mentality is present again. It's not worth it. At some point you just have to stop worrying about others (outside of family and friends of course) and worry only about yourself. These retail places described in this thread do not care about you past if you show up for work and do your work, so it isn't worth it to care about them either.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By NTM

You have to do what you feel is right for you. It seems you feel that what you need to do is justified, and that's fine. Are you doing part time? I don't see why they can't let you schedule your time accordingly, that doesn't make a lot of sense to me, as in my experience, working at Sears when I was going to class, they let me and others off for that time. They wouldn't appreciate that you take time to do other stuff rather than the job, as they want the employee to be reliable, but it's the way things work in life, and if you don't have time, you don't have time, though still, I don't see why they can't work with you. If you don't let them know, it's more than likely they'll try to contact you and ask, though if you're not using them as a reference, there's little need in caring what they have to say, so you won't pick up the phone.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Give 2 weeks notice.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By NTM
@everettescott said:

@zevvion said:

@lvl3bard said:

Just bailing on a job is an incredibly shitty thing to do.

You realize that if you just bail, someone else is going to have to cover your shifts? How is that fair?

How is it fair that you have to work a job you don't want to do because they will have to figure some things out if you leave? This is just the stupidest reason ever to stay. Unless you are saying he should give a heads up instead of just not coming in anymore; that I understand. But keep working at a place when you don't want to is never, ever, a good thing. You're only fooling yourself when you do that.

Happiness comes first.

That's not how the world works. Unless you want to be a selfish shit, then I guess that's a choice for that individual to make. Sure your own happiness is important but not caring how others will have to deal with your choices is very antisocial.

Look on the bright side, whoever has to pick up the slack, gets more time, which means more money. Hopefully whoever that is likes their job! Then it be both good and bad for that person.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#55  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Hopefully you knew the scheduling but either way, if it is unavoidable conflict with school you are paying for, do what you have to do.

Personally, I would talk with your boss to state your case and I would work any shifts that I could to help them out for two weeks. Like if the days of conflict were 2 out of 4 shifts I'd work the other two.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By Zevvion

@everettescott: You were replying to me. You quoted my post where I was literally saying you shouldn't do anything just because others want you to. So yes, you were most certainly saying that. Either that or you didn't fully read what you were replying to.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Must be nice to so easily grab a job that you can quit on a whim.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Not sure why certain people became so aggressive and argumentative in a simple topic on a video game forum.

I'm just going to close this instead of trying to salvage it, but some of you, without naming names, really need to review the rules and consider your behavior on this site and how you relate to others before you post anything else on the forums. Give me a break.