• 62 results
Peter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Peter

Been smoking since 12, am 19 now and want to stop. My main motivation is the money as I couldn't care less about the health benefits (I'm 19, im invincible). I've heard a few mothods like the lollipop thing ect but Im wondering if anyone else has any methods because I'm willing to try anything if it will help.  

Or if you haven't and love smoking like I used to what are you smoking? I used to smoke  DuMaurier (canadian here) but then my buddy brought me a carton of Marlboro Red's which you cant get here so after I finished that I smoked Camels for awhile.  

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Pinworm45

Be a man and not give in. Sucks for the first week or so, tell people in advance you're gunna probably be a dick. After that it's not so bad. That's the hardest part. 

The second hardest part usually comes a few months later when something stressful happens and you decide to have a stress cig, you promise just one. Then just one or two a day. Then you're back to smoking. So yeah, resist stress cigs a few months after you've quit.  

Do that and you're done.

sketch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sketch

Try getting someone to quit alongside you? That's probably the best way.

I have a weird on-off relationship with smoking. I do enjoy it but when I notice it negatively affecting me, I stop for a while.

The Alzheimer's or "the family heart condition" will get me long before lung cancer ever does

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DrPockets000

If there is a time when you always smoke out of habit (such as every time you go for a drive), start by skipping the cigarettes at that time, starting with one activity at a time.  Create a chart that limits the number of cigarettes you can have in a day.  Finally, put together how much money you spend every month on cigarettes and see where else you can allocate the money.

Peter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Peter
@DrPockets000: I would say I smoke most in the car, anytime I go for a drive no matter the distance I'll have at least one. My work drive is 20 minutes and I have 3.
Peter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Peter
I think the hardest part will be when Im at home because both my roomates smoke and we have a smoking room. They're bad influences :-P
onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By onarum

Whenever you feel like having a smoke hit yourself hard in the balls, that's fail proof.

On a more serious note though, I never put a cigar in my mouth so I can't really give any good advice, but what I heard from ex smokers is that it's good to have something to substitute the smokes for a while, like candy for example, whenever you feel like having a smoke eat the candy instead, or somethign more healty such as raisins or something like that (many of said ex smokers had become a little overweight because all of the candy).

Sirico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sirico

Don't make a big thing about quitting even if you lapse so what. Take it a day at a time and soon you'll be like dam its been a month since huh oh well back to spending all that new found money.

wormz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By wormz

I quit by drinking heavily and smoking way too much. Next morning I had a couple cigs left so I tried to smoke 'em, but it was so bad and disgusting I threw them away and that's it.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MikkaQ

Find something new to twiddle between your fingers and occasionally put in your mouth. I go with pens. It'll satisfy that aspect of smoking the whole "something to do with your hands" aspect.  

Other than that, patches I guess. And perseverance! 

Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

I've quit running for smoking so I can't help you here. :(

The most important thing is to actually believe you want to quit I guess. I myself don't feel like stopping yet, so I haven't. Probably when summer comes around I'll stop so I can start running I guess.

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By ttocs

When I quit smoking, I read this book.  For whatever reason, it really helped.  Continue smoking while reading it though - it's even recommended.  Then, when you're ready to read the end of the book, you stop.  I thought it was just a joke but it actually helped.  I've been smoke free 2 years now. 

http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Way-Stop-Smoking-Non-smokers/dp/1402771630/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297266788&sr=8-1 

The book basically reshapes the way you think about smoking.  Also, when you do quit, and you have a craving for a cigarette, tell youself, "Why would I want a cigarette?  I'm a non smoker."  I know it sounds dumb but it worked.  I tried the gum along with this and actually stopped using the gum after 2 weeks and never looked back.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By guiseppe

This thread makes me want to go have a cigarette. But yeah, you simply just have to quit, resist the urge. Even if that sounds impossible, it's really the only way, of course you can always substitute with candy or whatever. You can also buy one of those inhalers, which will give you the nicotine, but none of the crap.

NakAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NakAttack

Find the most disgusting pack you can find (for me it was Marbolos' new 57"s, the forest green menthols) and chain smoke a pack. 

Peter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Peter
@nk19: I like this idea
eristocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By eristocrat

Whenever you have an urge to smoke recognize it and try and think if there were environmental/emotional triggers around you that are making you want to smoke right then.  Also, having something to do with your hands/mouth (like lollipops or sunflower seeds) for when you have urges is helpful too.  Most of all understand that what you are trying to do is very hard and if you fail a few times that doesn't mean you should go right back into being a smoker, instead learn from what made you smoke again and don't let that specific thing happen again or if it does have a different way to deal with it.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By iam3green

find someone else that you can do when you have a craving. you could also find something that you can get addicted to.

crazyleaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By crazyleaves
@Peter: The hardest part is the first week as some have said. Exercise, especially if you don't on a regular basis. ANYTHING to keep your hands busy is a must as well. Videogames, toothpicks, coin, small projects, whatever. Or you can have a kid, I don't recommend it cause your so young though. :P
Avatar image for chubbaluphigous
Chubbaluphigous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Chubbaluphigous

Cravings will still show up even years down the line.  Especially when drinking and after sex.  But primarily when out drinking.  Once you commit to never having another smoke, you have to stick to it and literally never smoke again.  Having one here or there will suck you right back in.  I have quit twice, where each time I stayed smoke free for over a year.  The first time I caved because I was stupid while drunk and thought I could have just a couple while drinking.  The second time I caved because of job related stress. 

Everybody is different about what method works best for them.  For me I went cold turkey both times, and just smoked a lot of pot.  I could never do the whole cutting back thing.  I smoke when I smoke, and I don't when I don't.

Khadyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Khadyn

Someone told me to eat sunflower seeds whenever I had an urge for a smoke. Not really sure why but, guess some chemical or something in sunflower seeds feeds that nicotine effect your body has whenever you want a smoke. I'm guessing its possible since I noticed professional baseball players always munchin on the sunflower seeds so, assuming it covers their "chew" habit...who knows.

NakAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NakAttack
@Peter: try it, it worked for me.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By LiquidPrince

Stop buying smokes.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By melcene
@Peter: Try the Commit Lozenges.  They have nicotine in them, in two different sized doses, and are good because they get you off that "need to go out and smoke" habit.  I know from experience that part of the problem with quitting is that often you have set times throughout your day where you normally smoke, and those are some of the hardest to break. 

Nicorette gum is also supposed to be good.
Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

You need willpower, of which i have none im afraid. So, too all you good people that stopped smoking,i admire you,i truly do,i also envy you willful fuckers :D

MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By MayorFeedback

No real advice here, just a best of luck and keep at it. You can do it!

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#27  Edited By KillyDarko

Use more will power :)

floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28  Edited By floodiastus

Smoke weed instead that will get you off it proper

High_Nunez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By High_Nunez

I live in NYC where cigarettes are absurdly priced, and police-state-like laws have been imposed to keep people from smoking pretty much anywhere. $10.25 for a pack of Marlboros. Terrible. Anyway quitting is easy because of all those things I just mentioned. So I guess it's a "good thing".

danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By danimal_furry

There are some decent meds on the market that work great. Most of them are covered by major insurance also.    

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By penguindust

I quit coming up on three years ago now, and I feel it's very important to find a distraction.  In other words, something to do instead of whenever you'd normally smoke a cigarette.  Play a game, surf the internet, exercise, read a book, practice guitar, something to keep your hands and mind focused and away from smoking.  Also, avoid all those places or activities where you used to smoke.  If you have a cigarette after dinner on the porch, don't go there at that time for at least 9 months.  If you have a cigarette in the morning with a cup of coffee, switch to tea.  Creating a new routine that doesn't including smoking is paramount to your success.  Keep at it, and don't be afraid to fail; but when (if) you do, resolve to do better next time.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Scooper

Here's motivation: Stop smoking or die an early death of a painful disease. 

It's simple.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By fwylo
@Peter: There are a few people in their late 20's that have quit smoking in my office.  They all used the same book.  I don't know what it is called off-hand but I could find out for you if you're interested. 

The main point of the book though is you have to totally change your outlook on smoking.  You aren't just a person trying to quit smoking, you are someone that doesn't smoke.. When you get a craving and think damn I want a smoke you double back and say to yourself... "No I don't, I don't even smoke."  

Apparently it worked for them.  Good luck!
DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DrPockets000
@Peter said:

" @DrPockets000: I would say I smoke most in the car, anytime I go for a drive no matter the distance I'll have at least one. My work drive is 20 minutes and I have 3. "

I would definitely say start there. 
YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By YoungFrey

Cut back on caffeine at the same time if you drink it.  I'm not suggesting the craziness of kicking them both at once.  Nicotine raises your tolerence for caffeine, so if you quit smoking and keep the same level of coffee/tea/soda, you will be a lot more wired than normal.   
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#36  Edited By sweep  Moderator

It's great that you are quitting, but I can't offer you much advice as I have never really understood the whole "Quitting is so hard" mentality - it's not something I can relate to. I can be smoking 40 a week for a couple of months, then just stop and walk away like nothing happened. As a result I think some people just have no self control, or that they enjoy the drama of trying to overcome an addiction. This probably isn't helpful but as far as i'm concerned - If you really want to stop doing something, just stop doing it. It's only a big deal if you make it a big deal.

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#37  Edited By Belonpopo
@Peter: Methodon can fuck you up even worse, you can become for dependent on that then nicotine.
jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jking47
@Sweep said:
" It's great that you are quitting, but I can't offer you much advice as I have never really understood the whole "Quitting is so hard" mentality - it's not something I can relate to. I can be smoking 40 a week for a couple of months, then just stop and walk away like nothing happened. As a result I think some people just have no self control, or that they enjoy the drama of trying to overcome an addiction. This probably isn't helpful but as far as i'm concerned - If you really want to stop doing something, just stop doing it. It's only a big deal if you make it a big deal. "
Thank you for gracing us mortals with your presence, o' willful one.  
Us weakling's with no self control/the drama queens are quite grateful.
StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By StaticFalconar

Everytime you have the urge to take a smoke, go ahead, but you have to trade giving a blowjob for it. I'm pretty sure after the first week, you'll come to your senses and stop. 

Aklost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Aklost

<Also need to quit smoking Q_Q Anyone have any luck cutting back bit by bit? i work 9am till midnight, 6 days a week so i don't really have the energy to quit outright. Best of luck Peter, let us know how it goes. 

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@jking47 said:
" @Sweep said:
" It's great that you are quitting, but I can't offer you much advice as I have never really understood the whole "Quitting is so hard" mentality - it's not something I can relate to. I can be smoking 40 a week for a couple of months, then just stop and walk away like nothing happened. As a result I think some people just have no self control, or that they enjoy the drama of trying to overcome an addiction. This probably isn't helpful but as far as i'm concerned - If you really want to stop doing something, just stop doing it. It's only a big deal if you make it a big deal. "
Thank you for gracing us mortals with your presence, o' willful one.  Us weakling's with no self control/the drama queens are quite grateful. "
No problem. Next time I will bring a big plate of sympathy for you to choke on. 
StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#42  Edited By StarvingGamer

Get pregnant.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Pibo47
@Peter: DO NOT GIVE IN TO THE CRAVINGS. Allso, work out shit tons. Cause you are gonna get pissed, and you need to let off that stress and shit. Soooo...workout, and dont fuckin give in. Best of luck man.
isaiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By isaiah

I was able to quit after about my 5th try, I found the patch was able to take the edge off the cravings.  Also I found it's best not to listen to people who say they quit with no problems because of will power.  They are dip shits that don't understand how addiction works, for some quitting is easy and for others its the hardest thing they've ever done.  It had to do with brain chemistry not some imaginary holier-than-thou willpower bullshit. 

moelarrycurly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#45  Edited By moelarrycurly

Steadily lower the amount that you smoke until you don't crave them quite so much.  Buy a pack, smoke one, throw the rest of it out.  Guilt is key, and you'll be a better, healthier, happier, and more monetarily sound person at the end of it. 

Also, every time you save $60 from not buying smokes, get a new game instead.  Incentive helps.

Nerdboxer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Nerdboxer

Cold Turkey is the best way to go. The first week or two sucks but it gets easier. Also, like some have said, never have "just one". It snowballs.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jking47
@Sweep said:
" @jking47 said:
" @Sweep said:
Thank you for gracing us mortals with your presence, o' willful one.  Us weakling's with no self control/the drama queens are quite grateful. "
No problem. Next time I will bring a big plate of sympathy for you to choke on.  "
I would prefer empathy if its all the same to you =)
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@jking47 said:
" @Sweep said:
" @jking47 said:
" @Sweep said:
No problem. Next time I will bring a big plate of sympathy for you to choke on.  "
I would prefer empathy if its all the same to you =) "
Heheh... Next time I shall attempt to be more accommodating ;)
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#49  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Just say no...?

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Hosstile17

If you drink, that is the time you will always have the hardest time. Being in a bar and wanting a cigarette haunted me for years. Now, I just don't go to bars.