• 126 results
inhaleandvomit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By inhaleandvomit

so my parents and i went out to a restaurant for my mother's birthday dinner.
in the waiting area, a slack-jawed girl in the vile clutches of teenage years who stared at us with unabashed and creepy enthusiasm finally walked up to my family and yelled " KONNICHIWA !"  her parents just bestowed us with benign grins as if their daughter had broken down the racial glass ceiling with one knowledgeable greeting. a veritable u.s. diplomat in a pink tinkerbell t-shirt. how kind and worldly of her to greet the little japanese family in their native tongue!

not to mention anytime i'm in gamestop, there's some creepy white guy inevitably wearing a shirt screenprinted with some sort of dragon who will come up to me and rattle off something in japanese.  i'll explain that i don't understand his broke-ass stab at an asian language, and he will explain that he's spent a lot of time in tokyo, so he really understands my culture.  okay, this has only happened twice.  i am exaggerating.

i'm totally not japanese, but it seems to be a definitive part of my daily life: strangers coming up to me and asking what part of asia i'm from.  most of it happens at work, where my patients are elderly, white, and convinced that it is still 1920 and i should be working on a railroad.  this is probably because i live in texas, and anyone dark skinned is here illegally and out to steal american jobs.

for those of you who are distinctly not caucasian, do you find your race and nationality to be a conversation starter?  do you have a daily quota of people trying to guess where you're "originally from?"  share stories please so i no longer feel alone and conspicuously ethnic. 

Jeknod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Jeknod

kawaii ^_^ ogenki desu wa? 

Jeknod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jeknod

To clarify... I fucking hate weeaboos.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By sodiumCyclops

No.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Xeiphyer
@inhaleandvomit: PROTIP: Don't live in the south if you aren't white. =P 

Those goddamn americans.

By the way, are you Japanese?!?!!?! Kawaii desu desu.
bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By bed

not a conversation starter, but more of a "hey, where are you from?" and that's about it 

Interfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Interfect
@inhaleandvomit:  

I think this is an appropriate time to post this. 

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King

Damn it, I need closure! Not to be racist, but what part of Asia are your ancestors from? From the railroad joke, my guess is Chinese. As for Japanese, I'm guessing that because you're a gamer, people make the connection that you must be Japanese, for some reason.

Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Damien

NO BUT I THINK IM TURNING

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By mazik765

I am Canadian, so not much of a conversation starter with other Canadians, although I do have German and Scottish heritage...again not uncommon whatsoever.

EDIT: Oops, missed the last paragraph there. I am most certainly distinctly Caucasian :/.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@inhaleandvomit said:
"  for those of you who are distinctly not caucasian, do you find your race and nationality to be a conversation starter?  do you have a daily quota of people trying to guess where you're "originally from?"  share stories please so i no longer feel alone and conspicuously ethnic.  "
It's not a conversation starter (because I'm not the type to look like they'd be open to conversation), but sometimes people will stare at me or ask me if they can touch my hair or some crap.  Fucking idiots.
Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By Mrnitropb

My fiances grandmother refers to Asians as Orientals still. Loudly. In Public.

Interfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Interfect
@mazik765 said:
" I am Canadian, so not much of a conversation starter with other Canadians, although I do have German and Scottish heritage...again not uncommon whatsoever. "
Yeah, We Canadians don't care about race. We care about stuff like our mediocre hockey teams (except Montreal), the CFL and Tim Horton's.
inhaleandvomit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By inhaleandvomit
@Video_Game_King said:
" Damn it, I need closure! Not to be racist, but what part of Asia are your ancestors from? From the railroad joke, my guess is Chinese. As for Japanese, I'm guessing that because you're a gamer, people make the connection that you must be Japanese, for some reason. "
no, mongolia.  i was actually born and raised in inner mongolia, as well.  my family moved here when i was a kid so that my father could work on his ph.d.  i'm not ashamed of my nationality or anything, it just perturbs me that i can't seem to escape questioning on a daily basis.  again, it's probably because i live in the south.  this one clerk at the 7-11 right outside my apartment asked me EVERY SINGLE TIME i walked in.  i figured at some point he was just trolling me.
Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Alex_Murphy

It could be worse. If you came from the middle east people would think you were about to blow something up. I bet a lot of people just use your race as a conversation starter to try and hit on you. I hear white people get the same treatment in Japan as far as peple comming up to them trying to practice their English. Plus I don't think white guys are allowed in the whore houses in Japan so it would be twice as bad as what you have to go through.

AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AltonBrown
@Interfect: Tim Horton's is the shit, sir.
T0mF5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By T0mF5
@Damien said:

" NO BUT I THINK IM TURNING "

inhaleandvomit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By inhaleandvomit
@Mrnitropb said:

" My fiances grandmother refers to Asians as Orientals still. Loudly. In Public. "

oh snap!  if she is elderly, it is understandable.  next time remind her that they are people, not rugs. 

@FluxWaveZ said:

"It's not a conversation starter (because I'm not the type to look like they'd be open to conversation), but sometimes people will stare at me or ask me if they can touch my hair or some crap.  Fucking idiots. "

why your hair?  is it awesome?
buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By buzz_clik

To answer the thread title: Iie, mada...

My girlfriend's Australian-born Chinese, and she gets it all the time. Dudes especially are always asking her where she's from, and then quickly firing off a self-satisfied ni hao when they find out. Thing is, my girl's pretty Australian*, doesn't speak that much Chinese and sounds Aussie as when she talks, so the whole thing is kinda silly. My girlfriend's a very nice lass, and wouldn't want anyone feeling like a dick about it, but I can tell that sometimes people lay it on a bit thick for her when the subject of her background is brought up.

*She's also just pretty.

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By lead_farmer

I just get pamphlets from the filipino clubs at school every year to go check it out.  I don't really mind, I just happen to be Cambodian.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@inhaleandvomit said:
" @FluxWaveZ said:

"It's not a conversation starter (because I'm not the type to look like they'd be open to conversation), but sometimes people will stare at me or ask me if they can touch my hair or some crap.  Fucking idiots. "

why your hair?  is it awesome? "
No.  If I want to use the semi-racist term, my hair's nappy.
mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mazik765
@Interfect said:
" @mazik765 said:
" I am Canadian, so not much of a conversation starter with other Canadians, although I do have German and Scottish heritage...again not uncommon whatsoever. "
Yeah, We Canadians don't care about race. We care about stuff like our mediocre hockey teams (except Montreal), the CFL and Tim Horton's. "
@AltonBrown said:
" @Interfect: Tim Horton's is the shit, sir. "
Both true. And I don't even drink coffee 0.o
Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jadeskye
@inhaleandvomit: you need to move to europe, seriously. Apparently America is still mad racist O_o
Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Aronman789

I'm from Costa Rica but no one believes me because i look more british, not to mention apparently all latin people are brown, wish someone told me that before

inhaleandvomit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By inhaleandvomit
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @inhaleandvomit said:
" @FluxWaveZ said:

why your hair?  is it awesome? "
No.  If I want to use the semi-racist term, my hair's nappy. "
oh, when i first read that people asked to touch your hair, i just envisioned you as rufio from hook for some reason.  BANGARANG!
Teaspoon83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Teaspoon83

I'm not Japanese, look at my pic on my profile but I do sometimes hate the guessing people do when they look at me. I currently live in Minnesota which has a large native american demographic and because of my skin color, some people assume I am native american. Of course, being Hispanic, people then try to guess am I Cuban, Mexican, Spanish, Central American, South American. Bah! I'm just a me! Love me!

Ujio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By Ujio
@Damien said:
" NO BUT I THINK IM TURNING "
LOL! That's great =)

As for the OP and your question: No, not really. My ethnicity is Sicilian/Mexican and since I live in CO. I kinda just fit in: Dark skinned, dark hair, dark eyes so these physical attributes tend not to raise eyebrows as they would in quaint little White toast suburbia. I was born in FL. and even still it wasn't an issue but since that state is slowly being turned back into a Spanish colony why would it? There was one time, however, when some dude thought I was Puerto Rican. That threw me off since it's never happened before or since; that guy must've been high on something. I do know the one thing that pisses off Chinese people or Koreans, etc. is mistaking them for another ethnicity. Like Chinese people get pissed when you mistake them for being Japanese and whathaveyou for each segment. I used to work at a sushi bar in the mall (don't judge it was actually very good AND sanitary; BONUS!) and the people running it were Chinese. Well I kinda fubar'ed it one day when talking with another male co-worker and asked him if he understood Japanese since I just assumed since the Japanese language is largely influenced by Chinese that the two would be cross-over languages. Well he didn't, and he amusingly got slightly annoyed and asked me why would he know Japanese; he's Chinese. 

So yeah. If you wanna really piss off an "Asian" person just misidentify them =P
Avatar image for deactivated-633355e1dd700
deactivated-633355e1dd700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Xeiphyer said:
" @inhaleandvomit: PROTIP: Don't live in the south if you aren't white and racist. "
There I fixed it.
d_breeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By d_breeze

It so much of a conversation starter, it was more of a test of my own blackness . The worst of it was my freshman and sophmore year of highschool. I went to a catholic school so there were 6 african americans in the class of around 250-300 students. One guy in particular would always talk about my "cornrows" or my "gangsta shorts" and he had a polo with Nelson Mandela's prison number and pointed at it and smiled to me. He didn't mean anything by it I just think it was ignorance.  

I get the "can I touch your hair" a lot too but I don't mind it at all actually because they're just curious. I don't think they have many black friends that they are comfortable enough with to ask so I say go ahead... its because I have dreadlocks :)

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@d_breeze said:

" I get the "can I touch your hair" a lot too but I don't mind it at all actually because they're just curious. I don't think they have many black friends that they are comfortable enough with to ask so I say go ahead... its because I have dreadlocks :) "

I'm obviously not as tolerant as you are, because I think anyone who's like that is real stupid.  I'm not some damn animal that you can pet or some shit.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#31  Edited By mike
@d_breeze: Don't dreadlocks make washing your hair properly a problem? Seems like they would...they look cool on the right person, but whenever I see someone with a full head of dreads swinging around I always wonder what kind of critters are living in there.
frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By frankxiv

i had a dude who worked for a jewelry store in a mall like yell at me asking if i was persian before. and when i said no he was like "you look persian, i'm persian". 

also since i live in socal, lots of mexican dudes try to speak to me in spanish, and they're always amazed i don't know spanish. i'm only half mexican ok, i don't know italian either.

inhaleandvomit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By inhaleandvomit
@Ujio said:
" If you wanna really piss off an "Asian" person just misidentify them =P "

haha, yeah, i notice that a lot too.  i think what really gets me is the typical assumption that we're "all the same."

my coworker admitted that she refers to me as chinita.  "i know you're from mongolia," she explained, "but all of you people are basically chinese to me."

i also just really hate china, so it's bothersome on multiple levels.  but that's something else altogether.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By scarace360

Im Canadian and the only people we hate are the french. Fucking french people man there should be a law or something.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#35  Edited By bed
@scarace360 said:
" Im Canadian and the only people we hate are the french. Fucking french people man there should be a law or something. "
i'm from Montreal and even i agree with you haha 
Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Mrnitropb
@inhaleandvomit said:
" @Mrnitropb said:

" My fiances grandmother refers to Asians as Orientals still. Loudly. In Public. "

oh snap!  if she is elderly, it is understandable.  next time remind her that they are people, not rugs. 

That is exactly what we say to the 80 year old bat. Just remember, stereotyping exists in New jersey, too.
Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Scrawnto

I've got second cousins that are a quarter Italian, a quarter English, and a half Korean, and others that are the same with Sri Lankan replacing Korean, but I'm just a mix of various European ancestry. I'm separated from the old countries by about three generations, so I'm all kinds of boring, ethnically speaking.  

I generally don't pry into people's cultural background. Trying to guess seems rude, and it's ridiculous to assume that someone would know a language simply because of their ancestry. I don't know a word of Finnish, and I didn't know how to count to ten in Italian until pretty recently.

buhssuht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By buhssuht

At least asking first is way better than people assuming where you're from. Before anyone asks and avoid some misunderstanding, I'm a Korean. To a Korean, people asking whether or not if the person from Japan is so insulting, I mean it's like asking a Jewish person if he or she was from Germany, or assuming everybody from Mid-Eastern is associated with Iraq. I'll tell you some events that happened in my life.  

One day when I was working as cashier, this white guy come up to the counter with his daughter after getting his drinks and snack, he goes "Ni-Hao" And I replied "Excuse me?" with little anger in my voice. And he says "Isn't that how you say hello in Chinese?", I replied "And why would I know that?" while looking at with some anger in my eyes even though I actually knew what it meant I pretended I don't. It was about then he realized I'm not a Chinese and apologized. Seriously if anybody starts to ask in some foreign language you don't know, just give them some mean look and pretend you don't know what mean. Sooner or later they'll realize it. 
Another story is from my friend whose family owned a Chinese buffet. He was also cashier and at the time, and there was one Asian couple who happened to be paying for their meal. And all of sudden this customer out of nowhere ask those Asian couple how much the meal was. I mean my friend was right there, a lot closer to that guy than the couples did, but no~ just because they are Asian the asshole presumed that they also work for the buffet as well. 

I got more stories but I don't want to write an essay in the forum. Anyway the point is, at least people ASKING before they PRESUME is fine. Presuming is pretty much same prejudice, and prejudice is bad.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

yes...yes I am.

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By thehexeditor

@inhaleandvomit:  いいえ、僕は日本人じゃない。でも、高校に日本語を勉強した。

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
@hematurge said:
" @Xeiphyer said:
" @inhaleandvomit: PROTIP: Don't live in the south if you aren't white and racist. "
There I fixed it. "
the problem is, is that black people and mexican people out number whites in the south... which makes no sense when it comes to south,white and racism.
newhaap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By newhaap

Haha, talk about being mistaken for another ethnicity, someone once came up to me and started speaking Spanish. I said I didn't speak Spanish and he said 'What the hell's wrong with you?', to which I replied 'Uh.. I'm Asian?'

ElTigreChino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ElTigreChino

I'm fortunate (or unfortunate, depending on how you see things) to live in an area where there is a bunch of asian people. My school is about 50% asian infact, so since I'm asian, Chinese to be specific, I don't tend to get pestered about what I exactly am. Most of the non-asian people at my school don't really care about the specifics. Some of my friends both asian and non asian don't even know that I'm chinese, and when I tell them they usually just forget it the next day and call me Japanese.   

But when I was a kid I grew up in Canada and where I lived I was like the only asian, so at my elementary school I actually ran into a situation where when another asian kid started school and only spoke some random asian language that I didn't know, the principal actually asked me to try and talk to him because GOD KNOWS all asians speak a common language. I said the 2 phrases in chinese that I knew to him and he didn't understand but my principal was sure that I just wasn't trying hard enough so I spent the rest of my recess trying to communicate with him.

Actually when I went to a mall with a couple of friends earlier this week there was this new Japanese anime hello kitty store opening up and the employees there honestly thought I was Japanese so they dragged me and my 3 other asian friends inside and started speaking Japanese to us. I tried to tell them I wasnt japanese but they wouldnt stop and a bunch of caucasian people started yelling out japanese phrases at us too. I ended up getting a free Hello Kitty plushie, so you know it was all worth it.
thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By thehexeditor

I took four years of Japanese in high school. First year was introductory, two and three were honors level, and fourth was AP. The only application it provided for my life thus far is being able to understand Hent- I mean, anime... without subtitles.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#45  Edited By Chris2KLee
@AltonBrown said:
" @Interfect: Tim Horton's is the shit, sir. "
First off, this is totally true TIMMIES FOR LIFE!!! Next, being Chinese I had similar experiences while I lived in the US a bit. I got the usual questions about if I was born there, did I know Kung-fu, asking me to say something in Chinese (I can't speak Chinese). One of my neighbors, who had fought in WW1&2, basically admitted he wanted to move when my family moved in, but my mothers naturally friendly demeanor helped smooth things over, and he ended up being a great friend to the family. It was all flipped around when I moved back to Toronto, since everyone there was from somewhere else. I almost missed the attention, being from the one Asian family in a small American town gave me some mystique, but in Toronto I was just a drop in the super multicutural bucket.
d_breeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By d_breeze

@FluxWaveZ: I understand where you're coming. People have been asking me if they could touch my hair since third grade so I really just don't care anymore.... though it may be sad that I'm desensitized and find it more comical now. 

@MB: Having dreads doesn't make it anymore difficult to wash your hair, its actually a lot easier for me since I have nappy hair :)  When I used to get my hair braided, not only would I be sitting in pain for between one and four hours straight, but I would only be able to wash it every week or two because the water would mess up the braids. With dreads you can wash it like normal hair pretty much as often as you want as long as you retwist it. But some dreads do look kinda stank depending on if people take care of them :/

Dannoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Dannoob

Wow...I've never come across any kind of awkward or ignorant behavior like you've experienced. 
I was originally born in Seoul S. Korea, but was raised mostly in Honolulu and Los Angeles. I've found  it my ethnicity to be a conversation starters only among other ELDERLY asian people.
 I think it's mostly, where you are located at.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By frankxiv

something i didn't think about until ElTigreChino posted, does it also bother you when in movies asians are all interchangeable? 

like senor chang, el tigre chino, from community is played by ken jeong. and last night i watched speed racer, where taejo togokan was played by rain, and his sister horuko was played by nan yu, that's all kinds of mixin goin on. 

do you think that adds to your problem?

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By thehexeditor

To actually contribute to the thread's initial question, I went to a 7-11 last week and the Indian clerk said to me in a joking tone "Annyong Haseyo!!" I paused in sheer terror, then yelled back, "Annyong!" and bowed deeply. He was rolling on the floor laughing after that. I wish I said "안녕히 계세요" when I left :P

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#50  Edited By sagesebas
@inhaleandvomit: I know what you mean, if I ever have to speak to a mexican family I do it in english, I feel like it's a little disrespectful to speak inadequately in a language I only know a few words in.