Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By ElTigreChino
@onimonkii:
Haha good to see another Community fan.
It doesn't particularily bother me, but I do agree that it is a problem. But the reason is probably because there just aren't very many asian actors outside of asia that is, so theyre kinda forced into this interchangable situation. You also don't see that many asian actors in movies and tv. The last I saw would be Inception, and that movie pissed me off because the asian dies like 5 times on 5 different levels, haha.
I also think that a major problem is that alot of non asian people can't tell where an asian last name comes from, not to mention all the overlapping Changs and other asian last names.   
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By HitmanAgent47

ohayo gozimus, kawaii desu. Sorry that's all I learned from anime.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By FunExplosions
@inhaleandvomit: Move to some place that's very culturally mixed. Los Angeles or New York City are perfect. If anyone did that to you there, they'd likely get jumped by about 5 actual  Japanese passerbys. Well, maybe in New York. No one walks around in most of LA.

If that's not an option, at least feel humbled knowing that others suffer like you do. Not me, because I'm a pasty white boy, but many, many others. I was about to namedrop a prominent user of this site, but that's probably not in good taste. Rest assured, those rednecks will remain idiots, and everyone who meets them will devote their lives to becoming that much smarter. 

If it makes you feel any better, just think about how many children they have. And that their children will begin reproducing at an early age, and end up with many of their own children, etc. etc. Oh, wait, that's scary as hell. Ignore that and try not to get angry about it.
frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#54  Edited By frankxiv
@ElTigreChino said:
" @onimonkii: Haha good to see another Community fan.It doesn't particularily bother me, but I do agree that it is a problem. But the reason is probably because there just aren't very many asian actors outside of asia that is, so theyre kinda forced into this interchangable situation. You also don't see that many asian actors in movies and tv. The last I saw would be Inception, and that movie pissed me off because the asian dies like 5 times on 5 different levels, haha.I also think that a major problem is that alot of non asian people can't tell where an asian last name comes from, not to mention all the overlapping Changs and other asian last names.    "
haha yeah, it's a great show :) started watching it cause i was a fan of the soup, but it's a great cast all around. 

and yeah, i can see that. i mean i'm sure they're glad to be getting work either way, and other actors do it all the time (hell like, half the cast of the xmen movies??). i was just curious is all
thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By thehexeditor
@HitmanAgent47:  Really? I thought what you learned from anime was きもちいいいいい and 行く!行く!んんんんん
Oh wait. That's hentai. Woops.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@thehexeditor: I don't understand the writing at all so i'm not sure why you posted it and the only word I learned from hentai is kimochi.
JoMu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#57  Edited By JoMu

Whenever we get new people at work they always introduce themselves to me in Spanish like they're trying to get on my good side by speaking my "native language". Then before I can say anything, they go on to tell me that they studied Spanish back in high school/college and always wanted someone to practice with. It always bothers me that just because of my name or how I look people always assume I know Spanish.    

Growing up, we were the only Mexican family in our neighborhood and I was the only Mexican kid in my class until I was about 12.  At the time I didn't really feel like there was any reason to become fluent. Most of the time I can understand what someone is saying to me in Spanish but I'm not really good at putting words together to have a conversation.

Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#58  Edited By Mrnitropb
@onimonkii said:
" something i didn't think about until ElTigreChino posted, does it also bother you when in movies asians are all interchangeable?  like senor chang, el tigre chino, from community is played by ken jeong. and last night i watched speed racer, where taejo togokan was played by rain, and his sister horuko was played by nan yu, that's all kinds of mixin goin on.  do you think that adds to your problem? "
Would you rather them be played by this asshole?
Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#59  Edited By Faint
@Jeknod:  i believe you meant ogenki desu ka? which would be asking how are you? 

this white lad speaks a little japanese you see ^_^
ElTigreChino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By ElTigreChino
@Mrnitropb:
I would love to see a non-asian try to play an asian character. 
I want to see some kind of Robert Downey Jr. Tropic thunder stuff going on, but you try and become asian, not black.
Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
alwaysbeclothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#61  Edited By alwaysbeclothing

I think the worst part for me is that I'm American as hell.  Even though I'm considered Chinese, I don't speak the language, nor have never been to China.  Born in Arizona and spoke english with all my english speaking friends.  Its kind of insulting to get the, BUT WHERE ARE YOU REALLY FROM question.

Then again, if I placed a whole mess of importance on race I wouldn't have picked a nickname that shortens to ABC!

Should it be a compliment that I've been mistaken for Canadian over the phone twice?  Probably doesn't mean anything though.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#62  Edited By frankxiv
@Mrnitropb said:
" @onimonkii said:
" something i didn't think about until ElTigreChino posted, does it also bother you when in movies asians are all interchangeable?  like senor chang, el tigre chino, from community is played by ken jeong. and last night i watched speed racer, where taejo togokan was played by rain, and his sister horuko was played by nan yu, that's all kinds of mixin goin on.  do you think that adds to your problem? "
"
i want everyone played by al leong. like an eddie murphy movie, but with al leong
bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#63  Edited By bed
@onimonkii said:
" @Mrnitropb said:
" @onimonkii said:
"
i want everyone played by al leong. like an eddie murphy movie, but with al leong "
this is the greatest idea ever and i approve of it 
foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By foggel
@inhaleandvomit said:
" @Mrnitropb said:

" My fiances grandmother refers to Asians as Orientals still. Loudly. In Public. "

oh snap!  if she is elderly, it is understandable.  next time remind her that they are people, not rugs.
Wait. Oriental is racist?

To answer your question, it is whenever I'm travelling. Being a Norwegian in Norway doesn't give me any interesting conversation starters. Except if I start talking with some racist chick, about the foreigners. Which, I shit you not, got me laid once. I feel dirty. (To clarify she came to ME saying how many pakis there were in the club. I acknowledged that with a "Totally")
Steve_Ramirez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Steve_Ramirez

No, but I have a lot of asian friends. Does that count? 

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#66  Edited By buzz_clik
@Lemon said:
" No, but I have a lot of asian friends. Does that count?  "
Yes.

Make me a sandwich.
dastly75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By dastly75
@inhaleandvomit said:  
for those of you who are distinctly not caucasian, do you find your race and nationality to be a conversation starter?  do you have a daily quota of people trying to guess where you're "originally from?"  share stories please so i no longer feel alone and conspicuously ethnic.  "
 No.  As a second generation Indian guy I care about as much about my race as anyone else, which is to say, very little.  I did live in Japan and study Japanese for a couple months but I don't go spouting it off to random Asians because 1.  I'm not a douche 2.  There's very very little Japanese people here in Florida.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#68  Edited By Jeust

I think i look spanish, but people have mistaken me for italian and israli. So... sometimes there is something to talk about. 

@inhaleandvomit:
 People generally mistake you for a japanese because out of the asian countries, Japan and China are the most popular. Don't take it badly. At least you should meet and have met some pretty cool people down the road. ^^  

Also  KONNICHIWA! ^^ 

newhaap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#69  Edited By newhaap
@HitmanAgent47:  Hahaha, that's pretty funny, that's actually pretty close to what thehexeditor wrote...
Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Clinkz
@foggel said:
" @inhaleandvomit said:
" @Mrnitropb said:

" My fiances grandmother refers to Asians as Orientals still. Loudly. In Public. "

oh snap!  if she is elderly, it is understandable.  next time remind her that they are people, not rugs.
Wait. Oriental is racist?  To answer your question, it is whenever I'm travelling. Being a Norwegian in Norway doesn't give me any interesting conversation starters. Except if I start talking with some racist chick, about the foreigners. Which, I shit you not, got me laid once. I feel dirty. (To clarify she came to ME saying how many pakis there were in the club. I acknowledged that with a "Totally") "
Can I be your wing man sir? I joke but all I can say is you can make fun of my American ass any day if it will get you some.
one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#71  Edited By one_2nd

No.

eliminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#72  Edited By eliminator

Nope but I like japs.
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#73  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

Saw a few references to Turning Japanese. That song is one hella big sexual reference.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#74  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

DA FUCK IS DIS SHIT?

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#75  Edited By JJWeatherman

I'm white as white can be, so I can't say that I have this problem.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By CaptainObvious
Itadakimas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Itadakimas

My Grandfather on my Fathers side is German and met my Grandmother while he was stationed in Okinawa. So I guess that counts for something?
I've used this Alias for years and my friends call me Ita. Got this tattoo in AIT Ft. Lee VA.

No Caption Provided
scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By scarace360
@AjayRaz: Fucking french i go to an arcade and end up getting into a fight because of em. WE NEED A LAW.
jaycee13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By jaycee13

People constantly come up and ask me what my heritage is. I beat them at their own game by explaining in full detail my Asian, African, Arab, Irish, ect ancestors so they just have to stand there looking uncomfortable for about 10 minutes.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By artofwar420

Great topic bro, hopefully I won't derail horribly.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Nekroskop

So my parents and i went out to a feast of the gods for my mother's birthday dinner. 
in the waiting area, a slack-jawed girly-man in the vile clutches of teenage years who stared at us with unabashed and creepy enthusiasm finally walked up to my family and yelled "FOR VALLHALLA! !"  her parents just bestowed us with benign grins as if their man-boy son had broken down the racial glass ceiling with one knowledgeable greeting. a veritable heathen dog in a pink tunic. how kind and worldly of her to greet the mighty Norse family in their native tongue! 

not to mention anytime i'm in Lokes's Videogames, there's some creepy non-Nordic guy inevitably wearing a shirt screenprinted with some sort of valkyrie who will come up to me and rattle off something in norse.  i'll explain that i don't understand his broke-ass stab at the norse language, and he will explain that he's spent a lot of time in midtgard, so he really understands my culture.  okay, this has only happened twice.  i am exaggerating.

i'm totally not viking, but it seems to be a definitive part of my daily life: strangers coming up to me and asking what part of valhalla i'm from.  most of it happens at work, where my patients are elderly, white, and convinced that it is still 1000s and i should be working on my broadswordskills.  this is probably because i live in west-africa, and anyone light skinned is here illegally and out to steal african jobs.

for those of you who are distinctly not odin's chosen people, do you find your race and nationality to be a conversation starter?  do you have a daily quota of people trying to guess where you're "originally from?"  share stories please so i no longer feel alone and conspicuously ethnic.     

captjim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By captjim
@ahaisthisourchance: i know man it gets worse like this one time i saw a french character in a movie being played by someone who was distinctly belgian! what, are we all interchangeable or something?
CharkeeFarlee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By CharkeeFarlee

I've been asked a lot if I'm either a, Irish or b, anemic. Because I'm ridicously pale.
But I'm English so i don't, or haven't really been in a situation where people have asked me about my heritage (par the Irish thing).

FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#84  Edited By FlyingRat

That's kinda messed up. Specifically the first girl. Christ, man. Who would think it'd be a good idea to do that?

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#85  Edited By BraveToaster

I don't think race is a good conversation starter. Hell, I don't think that race should matter at all.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#86  Edited By Catolf

I get asked a lot.. especially when my sister and I stand side by side, she's white/mexican/india indian(genman and stuff but this is the short version) just just looks white, and I'm Black/India indian/mexican(short version) and I just look black. We moved to a very Rural white area and when my sister goes to a friends house and I go to get her, they look at me like I'm nuts...

One time a woman grabbed her kid like I was some scary boogyman coming to steal her shit or something. Needless to say after that my sister never went back to that house. Not because we made her stop (If I scare you too bad) but because the mother didn't think it was good for her to come over anymore...

yeahhh....

I'm still rather not used to the looks, the place we lived before was a random melting pot, here there are maybe 4 black people...at all, I'm one of the 4 and I don't even think of myself as 'black' XP

Diagnostic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Diagnostic

I know how to say some numbers, punch and kick, because i practice karate. Does that count?
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By meteora

Well, good thing I live in Canada.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By No0b0rAmA

I'm Korean, but I live in Toronto, which is pretty damn multicultural. I'm pretty immature so I'm racist pretty much all the time, but I am racist equally. I haven't seen that kind of weird situations though, probably only because I live in Canada.

captjim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By captjim

so where exactly in the south are you guys talking about when you talk about the south being a bunch of racist hicks? i live in the south - as in south louisiana - and i've been in texas, mississippi, tennessee, and kentucky for extended periods of time and the only place where racism was noticeable was kentucky. the rest of the time it seemed to be pretty much on the same level as it is in los angeles, new york, and baltimore - and i know those places pretty well too.

or have you just never been to the south (or at least not for any decent period of time) and you're stereotyping it as a bunch of rednecks who stereotype minorities?

rolento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By rolento

I'm a cracker-ass cracker, so it doesn't happen to me.  However, my wife is Japanese and she gets it all the time.  Like... all the time.  She even gets it at work (she's a graphic designer) when members of the IT staff come to work on her Mac.  She generally just laughs it off.    More humorous is the amount of people who tell me how lucky I am to have a Japanese wife.  I usually just tell them I'm lucky to have her, and that it wouldn't matter if she was Spanish, Scottish, Indian or a Latina.

tomte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By tomte

Well, im the opposite. I'm swedish but i live in Japan. I love it when some random guy/chick comes up to me, says "hi" and then just continue to walk.
I'm kinda lucky because i live in a place where not many tourists come, so almost everyone at the McDonalds/ nearby stores, knows who i am :)

I even started at a senmon gakkou(college?) a couple of months ago, during the first week a girl came up to me and asked if i live in Kyoto.... I had no idea who she was and i couldnt remember seeing her before, then she told me that i used to come to a store where she worked and everyone at the store knew about me because i was a gaijin and had been to the store a couple of times

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#93  Edited By Hamst3r

My ethnicity is rarely brought up. My mom is from Indonesia; Javanese and German. My dad is from France. :)

The only really awesome story I have is about the time a homeless dude outside a Pizza Hut stopped me to thank me and my people for saving his life by teaching him kung fu. He then proceeded to show me his drawings of rockets and urge me to not do LSD.

thefreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By thefreed
@inhaleandvomit:  I was born here but spent a few years in Korea. I have similar experiences but if you have someone like that EVERYDAY, then I think you can attribute it to you living in Texas.
Some people are like that out here in California but not to the extent that you described...
When I was younger I used to go to a school where I was in a mainly white rich neighborhood(I am poor as hell though). I used to get that A LOT back then, they would always be trying to guess what part of Asia I am from and joke about asian people.
Anyway after couple years and moving to areas that were much more mixed... They were a lot more accepting and those things kind of died off I guess.

I think it might be the area that your living in... maybe you should go to a neighborhood that has more diverse ethnicity?
Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@Damien said:
" NO BUT I THINK IM TURNING "
ugh
Konanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Konanda
@inhaleandvomit said:

"  
so my parents and i went out to a restaurant for my mother's birthday dinner.
in the waiting area, a slack-jawed girl in the vile clutches of teenage years who stared at us with unabashed and creepy enthusiasm finally walked up to my family and yelled " KONNICHIWA !"  her parents just bestowed us with benign grins as if their daughter had broken down the racial glass ceiling with one knowledgeable greeting. a veritable u.s. diplomat in a pink tinkerbell t-shirt. how kind and worldly of her to greet the little japanese family in their native tongue!

not to mention anytime i'm in gamestop, there's some creepy white guy inevitably wearing a shirt screenprinted with some sort of dragon who will come up to me and rattle off something in japanese.  i'll explain that i don't understand his broke-ass stab at an asian language, and he will explain that he's spent a lot of time in tokyo, so he really understands my culture.  okay, this has only happened twice.  i am exaggerating.

i'm totally not japanese, but it seems to be a definitive part of my daily life: strangers coming up to me and asking what part of asia i'm from.  most of it happens at work, where my patients are elderly, white, and convinced that it is still 1920 and i should be working on a railroad.  this is probably because i live in texas, and anyone dark skinned is here illegally and out to steal american jobs.

for those of you who are distinctly not caucasian, do you find your race and nationality to be a conversation starter?  do you have a daily quota of people trying to guess where you're "originally from?"  share stories please so i no longer feel alone and conspicuously ethnic.  "

I am white (I don't use the term caucasian because I'm not from the Caucasus mountains) and I have people question my nationality occasionally. When I tell them that I'm Canadian (it would explain why I'm living in Canada) they seem somewhat dumbfounded and ask for a further explanation of my heritage. So I go onto explain how I'm 5th generation Canadian and if you want to go further back than it's some mix of Northern European cultures (mainly Scottish, Irish, English, German a little Danish and some other stuff) and if they to go back many centuries ago than it would be some Norse tribe (likely Saxons) from what was Denmark. (now northern Germany)

Race was only ever really a thing with older folks a couple examples in particular were an ex of mine's parents who are Korean immigrants and a friend of mine who's parents which were immigrants from the Arabian Peninsula. Also there has been countless times where strangers have made assumptions about my heritage or ask questions because of my height. (I'm about 1.94 metres or 6'4") One example that is quite re memorable is when I went mattress shopping with my mom and the salesman who was really short (maybe 1.5 metres or just under 5 feet) was convinced we were Dutch. 15 minutes later I had repeatedly explained we are very very much Canadian and ancestry wise it would be what I have said in parentheses above and that though the Dutch are tall on average so are the Danes, Fins, Sweds, Norwegians, etc.

Like has been stated earlier in the thread though I've never had any of my fellow countrymen and women question me about my heritage or race. We care more about getting to know the person, the important stuff like what music you listen to, what's your favourite NHL team or what beer you drink. About 95% of the people who have questioned me on my race are immigrants (including the people I worked with this summer who are primarily Brits in their late 40s and up) or foreign tourists.
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By c1337us

No. I am distinctly white.

DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By DeviantJoker

Generally, on my own - my race is never a factor. I am just another American, regardless of my skin tone. When I'm with my wife though, it does occasionally come up.  My wife is a white, blue-eyed, blonde haired American. I am your default Indian - brown eyes, brown skin and black hair - though I lack a whimsical accent since I have lived in the US since I was 11 months old. 

One of the more hilarious times it came up was on St. Patrick's Day. Partying up with some college friends at their local bar, one older couple (40s-55s) was genuinely shocked that we were "allowed to be married in this country". Obviously, being St Patrick's Day I have no doubt alcohol allowed her to make the comment.

Another more recent time, at the local Walmart - I seperated off from my wife to chop through the shopping list pronto. When I returned to her, she informed me she was approached by one of the staff who asked "if she knew me and needed assistance". Apparently, I was thought to be some sort of stalker maybe? I dunno. I might have been looking especially creepy that day I suppose.

Anyhow, left to my own I hardly get questioned or looked at differently. It is only when I am with my wife that the stark contrast I think piques people curiosity. 

Junior_AIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 131

User Lists: 34

#99  Edited By Junior_AIN

At Gamestop is understandable, it's because being Japanese to some gamers and anime fans is like a dream coming true, if you're Japanese at a game store you're high on the social pyramid, people wanna talk to you. I feel like the Japanese culture has become stronger and stronger, it's cool these days. As for me I'm an average white guy, maybe too white for my own good.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#100  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Junior_AIN: 

Do you blind people with your ultra-whiteness? Are you Oblivion White?