• 90 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1458 posts) -
  As suspected, low intelligence in childhood corresponded with racism in adulthood. But the factor that explained the relationship between these two variables was political: When researchers included social conservatism in the analysis, those ideologies accounted for much of the link between brains and bias.

No kidding? 

I don't think the racist undertones to some of the right-wing rants of the last few years are any secret. When someone says "I don't like Obama because he's not your typical president", we all know exactly what they mean.

But it's not their fault; some people are just born stupid. Unfortunately, natural selection just isn't what it used to be.
#2 Posted by evanbower (1216 posts) -

@Fajita_Jim said:

As suspected, low intelligence in childhood corresponded with racism in adulthood. But the factor that explained the relationship between these two variables was political: When researchers included social conservatism in the analysis, those ideologies accounted for much of the link between brains and bias.

No kidding?

I don't think the racist undertones to some of the right-wing rants of the last few years are any secret. When someone says "I don't like Obama because he's not your typical president", we all know exactly what they mean.
But it's not their fault; some people are just born stupid. Unfortunately, natural selection just isn't what it used to be.

If this chart would have caught Taft after a summer weekend at the Hamptons the whole argument would be out the window.

#3 Posted by Pezen (1670 posts) -

It's pretty obvious. I mean, racism is one of those "catch all" mental hangups that gives you an easier way to look at life. There's no longer any complex variables, it's just "us and them" and nothing in between. It's a comfortable blanket. And further more, most people who pursue professional racism as a career are in luck since there's such a strong sense of community when you all have the same idea. It takes less effort to be racist, it's lazy.

#4 Posted by Demoskinos (15164 posts) -

Racism obviously shows ignorance and stupidity as is most hate is born out of lack of knowledge and understanding. However, if they are suggesting a blanket statement of "if your conservative your dumb" then that is where they cross the line.

#5 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1458 posts) -
@Demoskinos said:

Racism obviously shows ignorance and stupidity as is most hate is born out of lack of knowledge and understanding. However, if they are suggesting a blanket statement of "if your conservative your dumb" then that is where they cross the line.

The article focuses on the trifecta of intelligence, conservatism and bias collectively, not as individual studies.
#6 Posted by animathias (1194 posts) -

Racism itself is stupid.

However, calling racism on someone who doesn't like our current president because of what he's done (or hasn't done) in office is ridiculous.

#7 Posted by Demoskinos (15164 posts) -

@Fajita_Jim: I see. I was just hoping these were the results and not the intent. As in WE HAVE TO PROVE THEM CONSERVATIVES ARE DUMB! Rather than "Oh, hey...seems like if you have irrational hate your more likely to lean this way." From what I'm picking up its the later which seems fine in its intent then.

#8 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Sounds like a useful study.

#9 Posted by SonicFire (821 posts) -

Disliking our current president doesn't make you either a conservative or a racist. Thinking that political preference is somehow dispositive of any kind of mental aptitude does, in fact, make you an idiot.

#10 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

ooo good read. interesting knowing that.

am i stupid for like racist jokes?

#11 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1458 posts) -
@SonicFire said:

Disliking our current president doesn't make you either a conservative or a racist. Thinking that political preference is somehow dispositive of any kind of mental aptitude does, in fact, make you an idiot.

I went to some length to explain that statement with illustration. A statement such as that in the context presented  is undeniably racist.
#12 Posted by Animasta (14728 posts) -

@iam3green said:

yeah kinda, sorry; racial stereotypes are harmful even if you're just joking around

#13 Posted by GalacticPunt (1108 posts) -

@iam3green said:

No, as long you appreciate the jokes on an ironic level. Like Jurassic Park dubstep.

#14 Posted by dudeglove (8308 posts) -

@GalacticPunt said:

@iam3green said:

No, as long you appreciate the jokes on an ironic level. Like Jurassic Park dubstep.

Pfft

#15 Posted by Little_Socrates (5718 posts) -

Let's just say that I don't find this to be a productive conversation and leave it at that.

#16 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

Yes, because everyone that doesn't like Obama hates black people.

Oh you

#17 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1458 posts) -
@TheHumanDove said:

Yes, because everyone that doesn't like Obama hates black people.

Oh you

And exactly how did you get that? Giving an example relative to the article is not an umbrella statement.

Reading comprehension should come around 4th or 5th grade, you know.
#18 Posted by Skytylz (4039 posts) -

I hate it when people use racism as an argument against someone that says they don't like Obama. My political science teacher did that last semester.

#19 Edited by believer258 (12208 posts) -

@Skytylz said:

I hate it when people use racism as an argument against someone that says they don't like Obama. My political science teacher did that last semester.

I hate that so much. A horrible president is a horrible president, whether he is black, white, or blue. A great president is a great president whether he is black, white, or blue. I don't see how Obama being black automatically gives him a free fucking pass to being a good president.

I can't say for certain whether I like Obama or not. Why? Because I don't pay a whole lot of attention to politics at all. I can say that in all of the speeches I've ever heard him give, his answers to everything essentially amount to "I will do what's good for the American people." Which is fine and all, but as far as I can tell he hasn't ever given a clear reason what that is.

Again, remember that I don't pay much attention to this stuff so I could be dead wrong about anything, which is why I won't let myself form an opinion on the matter. Still, Obama just doesn't quite rub me the right way.

#20 Posted by McGhee (6075 posts) -

People seem to forget that Obama is half white and related to both Dick Cheney and George Bush.

#21 Posted by Demoskinos (15164 posts) -

@iam3green: I would say no depending on the context. Honestly, I think its very healthy for us to laugh at each other and at yourself. I don't think the problem with racism comes with any verbal comments but the hate that fuels them. There are plenty of examples of racially fueled jokes that can be extremely funny without the hate behind them.

#22 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1458 posts) -
@Skytylz said:

And exactly how did you get that? Giving an example relative to the article is not an umbrella statement.

Reading comprehension should come around 4th or 5th grade, you know.
#23 Posted by cool_guy543 (32 posts) -

I find that everybody has (justified) blanketed hatred towards at least some kind of group, if you think of it. I also find liberals to be hypocrites when pointing out the "short-sighted view" of many Republicans when it comes to races and gays, when many liberals make the same kind of statements about Christians and other religions. I don't know how many times I hear "All Christians/religious people are stupid" come out of the mouth of a liberal, then berate their Conservative counter-parts for making the same blanket statements about homosexuals/races.

#24 Edited by Fajita_Jim (1458 posts) -
@cool_guy543 said:

I find that everybody has (justified) blanketed hatred towards at least some kind of group, if you think of it. I also find liberals to be hypocrites when pointing out the "short-sighted view" of many Republicans when it comes to races and gays, when many liberals make the same kind of statements about Christians and other religions. I don't know how many times I hear "All Christians/religious people are stupid" come out of the mouth of a liberal, then berate their Conservative counter-parts for making the same blanket statements about homosexuals/races.

Religion is a choice. Sexuality and race aren't. So big of a difference there your argument doesn't really work.

FYI, I'm not against a person practicing their religion, I'm just against people who think society as a whole should conform to their ideal morals. I'm most especially against people who pick-and-chose what parts of their religion to pay attention to. How many Christian women wear pants, for example? It's forbidden quite often in The Bible, but they ignore that tenant and latch onto something they can blame someone else for.
#25 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@iam3green said:

yeah kinda, sorry; racial stereotypes are harmful even if you're just joking around

Disregard this, you're fine greeny.

#26 Posted by cool_guy543 (32 posts) -

@Fajita_Jim: I know it's a choice, but it seems to me like that still is a quite hypocritical position to take to say it's okay to discriminate against one group, but one should be ashamed to say anything bad about another, whether it's a chosen group or not. I'm agnostic, but I know many Americans hold religion dear to their hearts, and truly do love God. While some might slough off science, there are some Chrisitans who believe science and faith can work together. To no group would I ever put a blanket over and say "All of these people are stupid." It doesn't seem like what some of these "open-minded" people are doing is THAT MUCH different than what the people we put to shame for doing. They're applying a narrow stereotype for what a minority of citizens are known by, and applying it to a large majority of the population. I think it's wrong, and would be hypocritical of me to "pardon" one group and go hard on another. I hope you see what I'm saying.

#27 Posted by Alexandruxx (228 posts) -

Old news

#28 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1458 posts) -
@cool_guy543 said:

@Fajita_Jim: I know it's a choice, but it seems to me like that still is a quite hypocritical position to take to say it's okay to discriminate against one group, but one should be ashamed to say anything bad about another, whether it's a chosen group or not. I'm agnostic, but I know many Americans hold religion dear to their hearts, and truly do love God. While some might slough off science, there are some Chrisitans who believe science and faith can work together. To no group would I ever put a blanket over and say "All of these people are stupid." It doesn't seem like what some of these "open-minded" people are doing is THAT MUCH different than what the people we put to shame for doing. They're applying a narrow stereotype for what a minority of citizens are known by, and applying it to a large majority of the population. I think it's wrong, and would be hypocritical of me to "pardon" one group and go hard on another. I hope you see what I'm saying.

I think most people give other people the benefit of the doubt to know which subset of people they are referring to. When someone says "Liberals are for gun control", I think we all understand that many liberals own guns and would not part with them, but for general conversation we needn't get into absolute specifics because it is understood.
#29 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

I think anyone that blindly and slavishly follows a particular ideology - whether conservative or liberal, religious or atheist, fascist or communist, Kylie or Madonna, etc - without consideration of why you may be wrong is a pretty easy indication of stupidity.

#30 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

I'm Jewish and so you all hate me and I'm OK with that.  Next up, A Jewish President!

#31 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@Fajita_Jim said:

No kidding?

From the article

Hodson was quick to note that the despite the link found between low intelligence andsocial conservatism, the researchers aren't implying that all liberals are brilliant and all conservatives stupid. The research is a study of averages over large groups, he said.
"There are multiple examples of very bright conservatives and not-so-bright liberals, and many examples of very principled conservatives and very intolerant liberals," Hodson said.
Nosek gave another example to illustrate the dangers of taking the findings too literally.
"We can say definitively men are taller than women on average," he said. "But you can't say if you take a random man and you take a random woman that the man is going to be taller. There's plenty of overlap."
#32 Posted by Jolt92 (1586 posts) -

If America is as stupid as everyone likes to claim why aren't the conservatives in charge?

#33 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Dagbiker: Yeah but dude, Jim. Jim.
#34 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1458 posts) -
@Dagbiker said:

@Fajita_Jim said:

No kidding?

From the article

Hodson was quick to note that the despite the link found between low intelligence andsocial conservatism, the researchers aren't implying that all liberals are brilliant and all conservatives stupid. The research is a study of averages over large groups, he said.
"There are multiple examples of very bright conservatives and not-so-bright liberals, and many examples of very principled conservatives and very intolerant liberals," Hodson said.
Nosek gave another example to illustrate the dangers of taking the findings too literally.
"We can say definitively men are taller than women on average," he said. "But you can't say if you take a random man and you take a random woman that the man is going to be taller. There's plenty of overlap."
I don't think anyone took this to mean all liberals are bright and all conservatives are stupid. If they did so, they're an idiot.  Point besides, $$ says you didn't read past the first post or few.
#35 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@Fajita_Jim said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Fajita_Jim said:

No kidding?

From the article

I don't think anyone took this to mean all liberals are bright and all conservatives are stupid. If they did so, they're an idiot. Point besides, $$ says you didn't read past the first post or few.

You said so in your title.

#36 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1458 posts) -
@Dagbiker said:

You're missing an important part of the title, however: RACIST conservatives. 

Or are you stupidly implying that all conservatives are racist?
#37 Posted by Spoonman671 (4777 posts) -

Attempting to quantify the intelligence of a human being has always been such a worthwhile pursuit.

#38 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@Fajita_Jim said:

@Dagbiker said:

You're missing an important part of the title, however: RACIST conservatives. Or are you stupidly implying that all conservatives are racist?

No im saying that not all Racist Conservative's are stupid.

#39 Posted by wewantsthering (1594 posts) -

Bringing things like this to the foreground is what continues racism. I was borderline called racist several times because I didn't vote for Obama, but I didn't vote for him because I didn't really agree with his policies (didn't care for McCain either, but what are you gonna do?). Race means nothing to me, but our society has to constantly bring it up, even when it's not the real issue. Maybe another fifty years and we can just forget it ever existed? I know I know, it won't happen. :-) I've really never understood why we even still have to check a little box for our "race" whenever we sign up for stuff.

#40 Posted by phrali (646 posts) -

i recently had an argument with some redneck that was complaining about obama and how people thought he was racist because he hates obama, and that's not why, it's because obama is exporting jobs and blah blah blah.

he also had a confederate flag sticker on his japanese car.

conservatives are fucking stupid.

#41 Posted by Jolt92 (1586 posts) -

@Fajita_Jim: Implying that all racists are stupid (as in low IQ or EQ) is in itself prejudice.

#42 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Fajita_Jim said:
@Dagbiker said:

You're missing an important part of the title, however: RACIST conservatives.   Or are you stupidly implying that all conservatives are racist?
And that's why you need to check your sources more thoroughly or try not to create such needlessly controversial thread topics.

Not all Racist Conservatives are less intelligent.   The study is quoted as having some overlap which means 'not all'.   It also means that some non-racist lefties are dumbarses too.  'not all' but some. 
#43 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1458 posts) -
@Dagbiker said:

@Fajita_Jim said:

@Dagbiker said:

You're missing an important part of the title, however: RACIST conservatives. Or are you stupidly implying that all conservatives are racist?

If you're racist, you are by fact stupid. All justification for racism is based on idiocy and misrepresentation. 

I'm  not saying a racist couldn't pass an exam, but I am saying by judgement of their decision-making process, they are in fact idiots.
#44 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1458 posts) -
@Jolt92 said:

@Fajita_Jim: Implying that all racists are stupid (as in low IQ or EQ) is in itself prejudice.

Stupid doesn't necessarily relate to intelligence. Here's a dictionary, need instructions?
#45 Edited by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@Fajita_Jim said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Fajita_Jim said:

@Dagbiker said:

If you're racist, you are by fact stupid. All justification for racism is based on idiocy and misrepresentation. I'm not saying a racist couldn't pass an exam, but I am saying by judgement of their decision-making process, they are in fact idiots.

In your title you actually say "(no, really: science)" your opinion does not science make.

Just make better posts next time, i don't want to argue on the internet.

#46 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1458 posts) -
@Dagbiker said:

@Fajita_Jim said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Fajita_Jim said:

@Dagbiker said:

If you're racist, you are by fact stupid. All justification for racism is based on idiocy and misrepresentation. I'm not saying a racist couldn't pass an exam, but I am saying by judgement of their decision-making process, they are in fact idiots.

In your title you actually say "(no, really: science)" your opinion does not science make.

The part in parenthesis was just a jab, which is why it's in parenthesis. Have a drink and fucking relax a bit.
#47 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Fajita_Jim said:
@Dagbiker said:

@Fajita_Jim said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Fajita_Jim said:

@Dagbiker said:

The part in parenthesis was just a jab, which is why it's in parenthesis. Have a drink and fucking relax a bit.
I propose from that statement that red heads who are called Jim are alcoholics (no, really).
#48 Posted by Commando (1877 posts) -

So you're saying it's OK to be a racist liberal?

Racism is wrong no matter what your political views may be....

#49 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1458 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:
@Fajita_Jim said:
@Dagbiker said:

@Fajita_Jim said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Fajita_Jim said:

@Dagbiker said:

I propose from that statement that red heads who are called Jim are alcoholics (no, really).
I'm  neither red-headed nor is my name Jim, so I agree completely. (seriously)
#50 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1458 posts) -
@Commando said:

So you're saying it's OK to be a racist liberal?

Racism is wrong no matter what your political views may be....

While true, that was not the topic of the linked article. 

When engaging in conversation, it's important to narrow the focus to that being discussed, or confusion abound.