Racist conservatives are stupid (no, really: science)

• 90 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

clumsyninja1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By clumsyninja1

Conservatism= South and Midwest=Racism.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Contrarian

@Pezen said:

It's pretty obvious. I mean, racism is one of those "catch all" mental hangups that gives you an easier way to look at life. There's no longer any complex variables, it's just "us and them" and nothing in between. It's a comfortable blanket. And further more, most people who pursue professional racism as a career are in luck since there's such a strong sense of community when you all have the same idea. It takes less effort to be racist, it's lazy.

You could replace the word "racism" with "religion" and the sentence is still the same. It is just an iherent trait of the numan race. You will never get rid of it, you just keep on top of it. I also don't a racist is automatically a dumb or bad person. I certainly have friends and relatives that say racist things. They just have selective ignorance.

biospank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#53  Edited By biospank

Not sure how racesists are stupid or the meaning of low iq and its a science fact. I could name a man who where smart and a huge racesist but because of what that man did to my family and many others I will not, dare say his name.

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@biospank said:
Not sure how racesists are stupid or the meaning of low iq and its a science fact. I could name a man who where smart and a huge racesist but because of what that man did to my family and many others I will not, dare say his name.
What?
musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#55  Edited By musubi

@Fajita_Jim: He just outed himself as a racist.

cool_guy543

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By cool_guy543

@Contrarian said:

@Pezen said:

It's pretty obvious. I mean, racism is one of those "catch all" mental hangups that gives you an easier way to look at life. There's no longer any complex variables, it's just "us and them" and nothing in between. It's a comfortable blanket. And further more, most people who pursue professional racism as a career are in luck since there's such a strong sense of community when you all have the same idea. It takes less effort to be racist, it's lazy.

You could replace the word "racism" with "religion" and the sentence is still the same. It is just an iherent trait of the numan race. You will never get rid of it, you just keep on top of it. I also don't a racist is automatically a dumb or bad person. I certainly have friends and relatives that say racist things. They just have selective ignorance.

You could say the same thing about people who are bigoted towards religion, or anything. I think people who make blanketed statements, while not stupid, are a lot of times misinformed or can't understand that a small minority of anything doesn't represent what an entire population is like. Saying "all illegal immigrants are thugs" just because a small minority commits crime, "all atheists are arrogant," and "all Christians are stupid" are all blanketed statements; none of them makes the sayer appear more intelligent than the next, and any generalization given to a large majority of people ever makes the person making the bigoted remark ever look intelligent.

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@Demoskinos said:

@Fajita_Jim: He just outed himself as a racist.

Is that what just happened? I couldn't tell.
musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By musubi

@Fajita_Jim: I was just reffering to the fact that that post was pretty much indecipherable and very poorly written.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Subjugation

Racism is dumb no matter what your political ideology. And if this is a veiled attempt at calling people racist for not liking Obama ... the race card is so, so old. The man got elected PotUS so his race obviously isn't much of a factor, is it? Legitimate racism and bigotry are real problems though, perpetuated by pathetic people.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#60  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

@Animasta said:

@iam3green said:

ooo good read. interesting knowing that.

am i stupid for like racist jokes?

yeah kinda, sorry; racial stereotypes are harmful even if you're just joking around

Not if you have a sense of humor.

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@Demoskinos said:

@Fajita_Jim: I was just reffering to the fact that that post was pretty much indecipherable and very poorly written.

I'll take your word for it. ;-)
musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By musubi

@Fajita_Jim: Eh, it was a ham handed attempt at a joke.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#63  Edited By JasonR86

There's a few things I thought of when I read this news article. The first one was directly in the article;

"Hodson was quick to note that the despite the link found between low intelligence and social conservatism, the researchers aren't implying that all liberals are brilliant and all conservatives stupid. The research is a study of averages over large groups, he said.

"There are multiple examples of very bright conservatives and not-so-bright liberals, and many examples of very principled conservatives and very intolerant liberals," Hodson said.

Nosek gave another example to illustrate the dangers of taking the findings too literally.

"We can say definitively men are taller than women on average," he said. "But you can't say if you take a random man and you take a random woman that the man is going to be taller. There's plenty of overlap."

Here's another thing I thought of and it was directly in the article as well;

"Hodson and Busseri's explanation of their findings is reasonable, Nosek said, but it is correlational. That means the researchers didn't conclusively prove that the low intelligence caused the later prejudice. To do that, you'd have to somehow randomly assign otherwise identical people to be smart or dumb, liberal or conservative. Those sorts of studies obviously aren't possible."

I think prejudice is way to complex to boil down to simple political ideologies. That ignores history (personal and cross-generational), cultural self-identity (not just national culture smaller cultures familial, religious, personal), and so on. What I feel when I read this article is that the researchers have used 'science' as a weapon to attack a political ideology. Their interpretations are so concrete, are so absolute in their meaning that it is almost laughable. I think that this whole thing is unfortunate.

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@Subjugation said:

Racism is dumb no matter what your political ideology. And if this is a veiled attempt at calling people racist for not liking Obama ... the race card is so, so old. The man got elected PotUS so his race obviously isn't much of a factor, is it? Legitimate racism and bigotry are real problems though, perpetuated by pathetic people.

I only made the Obama statement because it was something relevant that we've all heard before. Please don't take a small part of my post out of context, and you're not the only one here to have done so.

The article is about racism and how it relates to some conservative mindsets and their political views. How hard is it to understand that something current and relevant be used as an example?
Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@JasonR86 said:

There's a few things I thought of when I read this news article. The first one was directly in the article;

"Hodson was quick to note that the despite the link found between low intelligence and social conservatism, the researchers aren't implying that all liberals are brilliant and all conservatives stupid. The research is a study of averages over large groups, he said.

"There are multiple examples of very bright conservatives and not-so-bright liberals, and many examples of very principled conservatives and very intolerant liberals," Hodson said.

Nosek gave another example to illustrate the dangers of taking the findings too literally.

"We can say definitively men are taller than women on average," he said. "But you can't say if you take a random man and you take a random woman that the man is going to be taller. There's plenty of overlap."

Here's another thing I thought of and it was directly in the article as well;

"Hodson and Busseri's explanation of their findings is reasonable, Nosek said, but it is correlational. That means the researchers didn't conclusively prove that the low intelligence caused the later prejudice. To do that, you'd have to somehow randomly assign otherwise identical people to be smart or dumb, liberal or conservative. Those sorts of studies obviously aren't possible."

I think prejudice is way to complex to boil down to simple political ideologies. That ignores history (personal and cross-generational), cultural self-identity (not just national culture smaller cultures familial, religious, personal), and so on. What I feel when I read this article is that the researchers have used 'science' as a weapon to attack a political ideology. Their interpretations are so concrete, are so absolute in their meaning that it is almost laughable. I think that this whole thing is unfortunate.

We've covered this in this thread already. Thanks for reading!
No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By No0b0rAmA

Is this some kind of political satire piece, or are these people serious?

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Contrarian

@cool_guy543 said:

@Contrarian said:

@Pezen said:

You could say the same thing about people who are bigoted towards religion, or anything. I think people who make blanketed statements, while not stupid, are a lot of times misinformed or can't understand that a small minority of anything doesn't represent what an entire population is like. Saying "all illegal immigrants are thugs" just because a small minority commits crime, "all atheists are arrogant," and "all Christians are stupid" are all blanketed statements; none of them makes the sayer appear more intelligent than the next, and any generalization given to a large majority of people ever makes the person making the bigoted remark ever look intelligent.

That is true. I hope you didn't take that as an attack on religion, it wasn't. It is just that as humans, we tend to go for the simple solutions ..... why am I here? A god must have made me. Why can't I get a job? Immigrants took them all? My point is that it is fairly normal reactive behaviour for all humans and varies from person to person and though I believe intelligence has a lot to do with the degrees, education itself is more important - what you have been taught.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By JasonR86

@Fajita_Jim:

I just went through the thread and, you're right, the first quote was brought up in the thread. Not the second quote. Or my opinion at the end of my post.

So, thanks for reading.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#69  Edited By Trilogy

So it's not ok to make sweeping generalizations about somebody due to race (something I agree with) but it is ok to make assumptions about somebody's intelligence due to their political stance? That's about as ignorant and hypocritical as it gets. Drop the double standard bullshit please. And before you ask, I'm not conservative. It sounds cheesy but tolerance of other people should be universal across race, religion, politics, ect. Not just one or the other.

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@JasonR86 said:

@Fajita_Jim:

I just went through the thread and, you're right, the first quote was brought up in the thread. Not the second quote. Or my opinion at the end of my post.

So, thanks for reading.

@Dagbiker said:

@Fajita_Jim said:

As suspected, low intelligence in childhood corresponded with racism in adulthood. But the factor that explained the relationship between these two variables was political: When researchers included social conservatism in the analysis, those ideologies accounted for much of the link between brains and bias.

No kidding?

I don't think the racist undertones to some of the right-wing rants of the last few years are any secret. When someone says "I don't like Obama because he's not your typical president", we all know exactly what they mean.
No Caption Provided
But it's not their fault; some people are just born stupid. Unfortunately, natural selection just isn't what it used to be.

From the article

Hodson was quick to note that the despite the link found between low intelligence andsocial conservatism, the researchers aren't implying that all liberals are brilliant and all conservatives stupid. The research is a study of averages over large groups, he said.

That's pretty much the body of your post. Followed by my response:
I don't think anyone took this to mean all liberals are bright and all conservatives are stupid.

Which is a succinct way of saying "It's more complicated than that", which is pretty much your response though obviously not verbatim. 

Conversation flows; I don't like being dragged back to something we went over a few pages ago just because someone felt the need to respond to one post without reading the thread. Your last two sentences are fine, but I'm not going to reply to those two points without replying to the entire post, and I'm not going to do that because I've already been over those points and we've since moved on.
Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Subjugation

@Fajita_Jim said:

@Subjugation said:

I only made the Obama statement because it was something relevant that we've all heard before. Please don't take a small part of my post out of context, and you're not the only one here to have done so.

The article is about racism and how it relates to some conservative mindsets and their political views. How hard is it to understand that something current and relevant be used as an example?

See, that's the beauty of an if-then statement. If that was the aim, then the rest is my opinion on that. However, I outlined the opinion that I hold that stands completely independently of the whole Obama example. Racism is dumb. Bigotry is dumb. Hypocrisy is dumb. Partisanship has become downright disgusting and is the main reason why I refuse to identify with any particular group.

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@Trilogy said:

So it's not ok to make sweeping generalizations about somebody due to race (something I agree with) but it is ok to make assumptions about somebody's intelligence due to their political stance? That's about as ignorant and hypocritical as it gets. Drop the double standard bullshit please. And before you ask, I'm not conservative. It sounds cheesy but tolerance of other people should be universal across race, religion, politics, ect. Not just one or the other.

I figured from the title people would understand that I'm not taking this too seriously. I guess I underestimated the desire of people to bitch.
musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By musubi

@Trilogy: You either mis-read or didn't read. The article isn't stating that all conservatives are racist but that racists usually lean conservative. The order those words are put in the sentence make all the difference.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Trilogy

@Fajita_Jim said:

@Trilogy said:

I figured from the title people would understand that I'm not taking this too seriously. I guess I underestimated the desire of people to bitch.

So you made a internet thread about politics and racism and thought nobody would have a problem with it? Come on man.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By JasonR86

@Fajita_Jim:

That's adorable. There's also other people who view this thread who can comment who, like me, probably didn't read every comment before they posted. There's also been a lot of overlap in the comments in this thread where people repeated what was said previously but in a different way. Yet my post was the one that really set you off? Rather then getting confrontational, you could just comment on the bits of my post that were new to you. Or not commented at all and saved both you and I a lot of trouble.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Trilogy

@Demoskinos said:

@Trilogy: You either mis-read or didn't read. The article isn't stating that all conservatives are racist but that racists usually lean conservative. The order those words are put in the sentence make all the difference.

What if somebody wrote an article that said that not all African Americans are criminals but crimals usually lean toward being African American? Regardless of the validity of said imaginary article, people would have a serious problem with it. They have every right to if said imaginary article was total bullshit propaganda. It's not really the point either way. The point is that double standards annoy the hell out of me and I wish people would strive to be more aware of those situations.

Also, if you were to tell me that racists tend to have lower IQ's I would probably agree with you because ignorance and stupidity go hand in hand. It's the political part that kind of stinks of propaganda to me.

Avatar image for bigchickendinner
BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By BigChickenDinner

@Animasta said:

yeah kinda, sorry; racial stereotypes are harmful even if you're just joking around

God little social limp-wristed-wimps like you are what is wrong with the world today. If you cant take a F-ing joke get off this god damn rock. Your taking this "life" this way to seriously. Just relax, not like your getting out of it alive. Just because black people like watermelon and chicken, me saying that shouldn't offend people, who the fuck doesn't like that combo?! Racial stereotypes is a fun way for humans to celebrate our differences, Black people calling themselves anything related to the word nigger is harmful, Mexicans calling themselves beaners is harmful, White people calling themselves crackers, is normally used to make a point, which is how stupid people look while they do that, no matter the race. Jokes aren't harmful, ignorance is.

Foxtrot0245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Foxtrot0245

After seeing a few of the topics the OP has started, I'm gonna say he pretty much hates republicans and conservatives -- people who don't think the same way he does. Does anyone know how is that any less bigoted than hating someone who looks different than you do? This hypocritical bullshit is so annoying.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Nottle

@McGhee said:

People seem to forget that Obama is half white and related to both Dick Cheney and George Bush.

Oh but he looks black... kind of. Forget that his mom is white. He's a black dude!/sarcasm.

It's like the opposite of those laws that say " a child's race depends on the mothers race"from the 1800's.

Honestly why does it matter? I know this is a bit naive and not true of every case but when people say they don't like Obama, they probably don't agree with him on the issues, not because he is "black." But maybe I just like to think people have eased up after 50 years.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By TheHumanDove

'racist undertones by right wing conservatives'

You picked up on these undertones on your own. Your perception. Maybe YOU'RE racist.

Deal with it.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By SeriouslyNow

THAT'S RACIST

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#82  Edited By Skytylz

@Fajita_Jim said:

@Skytylz said:

I hate it when people use racism as an argument against someone that says they don't like Obama. My political science teacher did that last semester.

And exactly how did you get that? Giving an example relative to the article is not an umbrella statement. Reading comprehension should come around 4th or 5th grade, you know.

How did I get what? I just made a statement, I didn't mention the OP once in it.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By kindgineer

We need evidence that racism is stupid? Seems like a redundancy to me.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#84  Edited By Dagbiker

100% of all Pot smokers in the US are criminals. Its still federally illegal to have pot. So I should watch my wallet around them right?

dbol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By dbol

This thread is like reading 15-year-olds arguing on the Internet.

Oh, right.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Poo is stinky, people who get high from it are idiots.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@dbol said:

Oh, right.

I'm pretty sure OP is like 45 which is pretty funny.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By audiosnow

"This guy did some tests and will now tell you what you are and what you believe. The report has been endorsed by this guy. Full story to follow at eleven."

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By JasonR86

@dbol said:

Oh, right.

Great post dude. Way to contribute.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#90  Edited By mike

I just deleted a bunch of posts in this thread, but then got tired of cleaning up after people.  

Also, if you want your topics to stay open, don't attack or be a jerk to people who respond to them with differing opinions.