#1 Posted by MatPaget (1113 posts) -

Hey, guys! So, I'm considering buying some RAM for my computer tomorrow. My computer's requirements meet Risen 2's recommended. My RAM is 4 GB, and the requirement for Risen 2 happens to be 4 GB. The problem is I can only play this game in 800x600 (4:3) resolution with all settings at LOW if I want no lag. Will getting more RAM help this problem, and allow me to play games at higher settings and resolutions?

#2 Edited by Franstone (1091 posts) -

No, it will only be enough RAM to get it to run.

Games depend on GPU and CPU mostly.

: (

A new video card would help you out more.

#3 Edited by Toxeia (728 posts) -

@MatPaget: I'd have to know the other specs of your machine to get an idea about it, but chances are increasing your memory won't be as much of a boost as you might think. It used to be, back in the 98 days and earlier, increasing your RAM was a huge a boost to system performance but these days machines are pretty capable of working with less memory.

Like @Franstone said a video card will most likely be the most help, but it's entirely dependent on your motherboard and processor if it will help. If your motherboard doesn't have the bandwidth or your CPU is too slow it would be creating a bottle neck for any graphics card you put in there.

I won't be able to check in until tomorrow afternoon probably, so here's the run down on what's just above. There's a bit of a priority to which piece of hardware needs to be upgraded.

If we're talking about integrated graphics, then you need to drop that and get a video card for your machine. Integrated graphics uses your CPU and system memory to perform graphics calculations (practically stealing performance from the rest of the machine).

If you don't have integrated graphics then we should first consider your CPU and motherboard situation. Basically any motherboard with a PCI-E 16x slot will be fine. If you're working with any multi-core CPU (dual-core are still good) then you'll be fine. If either of these aren't true then you should look at replacing the motherboard/cpu and the RAM will most likely need to be upgraded to a newer standard as well.

If you've got a motherboard that supports PCI-E 16x with a 2+ core processor then it's fine to upgrade your video card, you won't run into any bottle necks. The recommended hardware for the game suggests a ATi 4890 or an nVidia 260 or higher. If your video card's older than those two I'd recommend looking at either a nVidia 460 GTX or the GTX 570. I purchased my 460 probably 2 years ago? I run all current PC games at highest settings just fine on it and it should only run you about $100, at most. The 570 will have a longer life though, so you might consider putting the extra cash into that.

If however your motherboard, CPU, and video card all look good - then you could look at increasing your system memory. Here's what you need to look out for when you buy RAM. If you're going to be supplementing your current RAM you need to look at the speed, the timings, and the voltage. You can buy faster RAM than what you have now (faster RAM will operate at a lower clock speed to compensate for the older stuff) but it'll throw timings off. Timings are important because you want your memory to be in sync when it's writing to memory. Your motherboard will most likely be able to compensate for this and do a lowest-common-denominator kind of thing but this means it will be making your memory run much slower than it should be just to avoid errors. Finally the voltage going across all your memory slots will be the same, and some memory (especially 'gaming' memory) is tuned for a higher voltage. It'll run at a lower voltage but you won't be getting your dollar's worth out of it. This also changes the timing. So whatever RAM you're looking at purchasing be sure that at your current memory's speed and voltage the new memory will be at the same clock timings. This of course is all moot if you just straight up buy all the same RAM modules.

If you need to look at your RAM timings, chances are you can go through your BIOS to look at it or if you'd rather do it without messing around in the BIOS do a google search for CPU-Z.

#4 Posted by MatPaget (1113 posts) -

@Toxeia: That's disappointing to hear.

Here are my specs. Anything I can do by upgrading? Any models and prices you can suggest?

#5 Posted by AiurFlux (901 posts) -

Laptop? Probably not much you really can do to be honest. It's entirely that video card too. Skyrim would probably barely run on it in mid settings.

You probably need a new desktop or a gaming laptop like an ASUS G74 or MSi 780. Far as I can see anyway.

#6 Posted by Toxeia (728 posts) -

First thing I saw was that 540m :( You can't do much on that machine since you can't upgrade much of it. Getting more RAM might make the game run better in this situation though. Laptop video cards use system memory for rendering, or they used to at least. My laptop knowledge might be a littler dated. With it being a laptop you've got 2 SO-DIMM slots. You'll have to go to the manufacturer website to see what RAM is compatible, but it makes all the technical stuff I mentioned before moot. Nothing to know other than it's SO-DIMM and the correct number of pins and speed. If you're looking at any more than 100 dollars for the RAM though I'd lean towards getting a desktop or gaming laptop (the suggestion from @AiurFlux is solid). Something else that might help is overclocking your processor. I'm unfamiliar with overclocking laptops though (did it back in 04, but not since). If you want to still get more memory, check if you've got an open slot or not. You might have to replace both sticks to increase your memory. And sorry for the lack of formatting - I can't do line breaks on my kindle.

#7 Posted by MatPaget (1113 posts) -

@Toxeia: I'm a little confused then. I meet all requirements based on Can You RUN It, but I still can't run Risen 2 at a decent speed. However, I can run The Witcher 2 normally.

#8 Posted by damnboyadvance (4059 posts) -

I'm not going to call myself an expert on PC gaming, but I can tell you that more RAM won't make up for a bad video card. You should start by purchasing a new video card.

#9 Edited by buft (3301 posts) -

@MatPaget said:

@Toxeia: I'm a little confused then. I meet all requirements based on Can You RUN It, but I still can't run Risen 2 at a decent speed. However, I can run The Witcher 2 normally.

if you go to the risen forums you will see lots of people with similar issues, its something that might be ironed out in time but for now it looks like its an optimization problem, the only thing i would suggest before you make any purchases is upgrade all your drivers

http://forum.deepsilver.com/forum/showthread.php/43580-Stuttering

link for you, is this a similar problem that you are having?

#10 Posted by bybeach (4725 posts) -

@buft said:

@MatPaget said:

if you go to the risen forums you will see lots of people with similar issues, its something that might be ironed out in time but for now it looks like its an optimization problem, the only thing i would suggest before you make any purchases is upgrade all your drivers

http://forum.deepsilver.com/forum/showthread.php/43580-Stuttering

link for you, is this a similar problem that you are having?

I do not know overmuch, but optimisation(or the lack of it) pops up again and again. They will probably patch it quickly, I would think....I wonder if it possible to paint yourself into a corner when programming and making a particular improvement or fix a no-go?

#11 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

Had a good feeling that the OP had a laptop to begin with.

#12 Posted by MatPaget (1113 posts) -

@OllyOxenFree: Yeah, I use this mostly for work, but it works well for the games I usually have to play.

@Toxeia:

Anyway, I set my preferred graphics processor to my High Performance NVIDIA Processor, and it's running at proper settings now (can even run Dead Space 2 at high).

#13 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -

@MatPaget said:

@OllyOxenFree: Yeah, I use this mostly for work, but it works well for the games I usually have to play.

@Toxeia:

Anyway, I set my preferred graphics processor to my High Performance NVIDIA Processor, and it's running at proper settings now (can even run Dead Space 2 at high).

Well, that's kinda important... Otherwise you're on crappy integrated graphics.