#951 Edited by Steadying (1376 posts) -

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (Like a year ago)

A fairly okay, if pretty needless continuation of the FFVII storyline. Definitely do not like how " anime " and goofy the fight scenes are, but they were cool to watch and that's just how Square are nowadays I guess.

3/5

#952 Edited by postnothing (65 posts) -

Don Jon: 1 out of 4.

#953 Posted by postnothing (65 posts) -

@naru_joe93: Have you seen To the Wonder? It's pretty good. I didn't find it as good as The Tree of Life, but one the best movies I've seen this year.

#954 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

Anchorman 2. It was like if they hired the Saints Row writers to make an Achorman movie and sprinkled in some Tim & Eric. I thought it was pretty funny, for the most part. 3.5/5

#955 Posted by Skyfire543 (720 posts) -

Some Like It Hot.
4.5/5. It's a classic. Very funny movie.

#956 Posted by Stonyman65 (2767 posts) -

I wouldn't really call it a "movie" but more like a 3-hour documentary/interview with Master Sergeant Paul Howe about The Battle of the Black Sea, also known as the Black Hawk Down incident. Paul Howe was a Delta Force team leader that was there on that day - in fact SFC Sanderson character from the Black Hawk Down movie was based on Paul Howe. Its pretty much a 3 hour interview with him talking about how things got to that point, what really happened (guess what? The hollywood movie was wrong) during that incident, and the aftermath. It's kind of dry, but if you are interested in that type of stuff, specifically about the Black Hawk Down incident you should probably check it out.

#957 Edited by Capum15 (4939 posts) -

@stonyman65: I've seen the movie, the History Channel documentary, read the book, the web version of it, and other stuff so many times.

What part of the movie was wrong? I know they changed a bunch of things because that's how movies do, but since I've read up so much about the whole deal it all kind of blurs together.

Edit: Also to keep with the thread, about to start up The Hobbit; last movie I saw was Return of the King and thought it was pretty damn good. I still prefer the books since there's just more stuff in them, but damn if they didn't get the locations and battles to look great.

#958 Edited by HatKing (6034 posts) -

World War Z. I'm fucking shocked that I didn't abhor that movie. But maybe I'm just happy that it was a zombie movie that wasn't just 'group of survivors doing what they can to make it by in an abandoned [insert location].' Paced kind of weird, it felt like it wanted to be more epic than it allowed itself to be. And then it wrapped up really quickly in the back end. Like they chopped out thirty minutes or something (maybe making the 'special uncut' version advertised less surprising).

I give it four hundred eighty human corpse towers out of seven hundred ten.

#959 Posted by nonekjr (72 posts) -

The Last Days On Mars. It was horrible. Never see it.

#960 Edited by Klarion18 (95 posts) -

Wolf of Wall Street. It was great. I give it 50 hookers and a line of coke out of 10.

#961 Edited by Guesty_01 (382 posts) -

The Hobbit part 2.

10/10 Absolutly brilliant cinema experience. Going to take some time and another couple of watches before I can say where it lands amongst the rest of the rings films. The escape from Mirkwood was one of the best scenes of any of Jackson's films, however.

#962 Posted by Hunter5024 (5840 posts) -

I saw The Great and Powerful Oz because. What the fuck are you doing Sam Raimi? 4 artists I lost respect for out of a possible 4 artists I could have lost respect for.

#963 Edited by thebunnyhunter (1461 posts) -

I just saw The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, and it was great. I wanst a fan of the first Hobbit so i was surprised how much i liked this movie. The first third moved a bit slow but after that it was a fun journey, and when they finally reach Smaug it gets really good. Smaug is just great, really really great...that really cant be said enough. While Smaug looks great some effects kind of looked bad, two in particular: Gandalf seeing Suaron and the magic before hand, and the molten gold looked off. Just don't expect a Lord of the Rings level of seriousness and you should be good.

Also its fun to imagine Smaug wearing Sherlocks (the bbc version) coat and scarf.

It gets a rating of 4 Smaugs and a Gandalf out of 5

#964 Edited by Eladren (112 posts) -

The Hobbit: The desolation of Smaug. Amazing, pure adventure and a bit of the bleak undertones of the previous trilogy, you can see the middle earth transforming from the centuries of bright peace to the somber war ahead

Truly the previews and the trailers fall utterly short of your fearsome enormity. Oh Smaug the stupendous!

#965 Posted by Mayu_Zane (611 posts) -

Black Hawk Down. I've watched it before but watched it again yesterday. It's an okay urban warfare movie. 3 out of 5.

#966 Edited by BabyChooChoo (4662 posts) -

Now You See Me.

I give it a fuck you/5. Holy shit. Okay okay, so it wasn't terrible, but I feel like the ending was one giant pile of bullshit. I get how the whole movie was supposed to be one giant "misdirection" and as the audience member you're supposed to take leaps of faith throughout the whole thing and blahblahblah. I mean, for fuck's sake, the movie wouldn't stop shoving the idea down your fucking throat. But man, I don't know. It was just plain dumb. I feel like the amount of bs you're asked to swallow easily becomes waaaaaaaay too much the moment you even begin to think about the whole thing.

I also watched Kick Ass 2 before that. Goddamn, that move was boring as shit and I really like the first one too. It had moments, but I genuinely wouldn't recommend that movie to anyone. 2/5 assuming you have something else to do while watching it.

#967 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Watchmen Ultimate Cut - 5/5 Stars.

For some reason, the end of the year always makes me feel like the end of the world is nigh. I always buy grocercies for two weeks, rather than just one. Anywho, in the spirit of Christmas, I watched the most apocalyptical movie in my collection. Watchmen in its ultimate form - the 214 minutes long Ultimate Cut (Director's Cut & Black Freighter Animated Short edited into it).

Some casting foibles aside (Malin Ackerman just isn't Vixen enough, or at all - she's purely cute), it's the greatest movie ever made! Rorschach. Every shot beautifully composed, laden with meaning, and even the somewhat-on-the-nose OST is an aspect I love, because I'm not a movie going hipster. And of course the action, boy-oh-boy - Snyder sure knows how to throw a punch.

#968 Posted by Grixxel (768 posts) -

Watched the Wolverine last night. Meh.

3/5

#969 Posted by TheHT (11549 posts) -

Thor: The Dark World - 4/5

It's a good time. Leaves the cinematic Thor world in an interesting place. The mid-credits scene is the most exciting part though, and that's not a slight against the film.

#970 Posted by Sanj (2466 posts) -

I saw The Wolverine. It was the uncut extended edition. It was pretty good. 7/10.

#971 Posted by benspyda (2041 posts) -

The Last Stand. I bought the bluray to watch on xmas. Great modern take on an old school Arnie film. It's no Commando, which would be impossible to match that movies greatness, but its still fantastic.

11/5

#972 Edited by Karkarov (3195 posts) -

Saw "American Hustle" on Christmas Eve. 9/10

One of the best movies I saw all year, all those acting nominations it is getting are no joke. If Jennifer Lawrence doesn't win best supporting actress for it I will be quite surprised. Bale as always does a great job whether you like his batman voice or not, in fact I sort of like him for best actor this year. If you like a character driven drama story with some funny moments that feels very faithful to it's source material (a con artist operation in the 70's) you will enjoy. Music was really good too but you gotta like them there 70's tunes.

#973 Posted by Shortbreadtom (827 posts) -

The Sunset Limited. A really interesting film, given that it takes place entirely in one room and consists of only philosophival debates between Tommy Lee Jones and Samuel L Jackson. I give it 4/5, with the full acknowledgement that it won't appeal to too many people.

#974 Posted by dawnclover (104 posts) -

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

9/10 - Amazing movie! Highly entertaining.

And since I watched this one on the same day...

Triangle

9/10 - Mindblowing movie. Brain f-ing at its finest with good acting and a really interesting story to boot.

#975 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

The Hobbit II

2/5 Meh

So little plot in such a long film. A shame it wasn't as fun as the first one.

#976 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1791 posts) -

Anchorman 2. I don't really have that much love for the first film, despite the fact that I greatly enjoy everyone involved in it. This one, I really liked. It was so goddamn stupid in the most beautiful way possible and it provided a wealth of big belly laughs, My only problem is that it goes on a little too long. I give it a 4/5.

#977 Posted by ToTheNines (758 posts) -

Rocky III (7.5/10)

#978 Edited by GnaTSoL (836 posts) -

World War Z

-10 / 10

90s movie with 2013 cg.

#979 Posted by Svenzon (722 posts) -

Now You See Me.

I give it a fuck you/5. Holy shit. Okay okay, so it wasn't terrible, but I feel like the ending was one giant pile of bullshit. I get how the whole movie was supposed to be one giant "misdirection" and as the audience member you're supposed to take leaps of faith throughout the whole thing and blahblahblah. I mean, for fuck's sake, the movie wouldn't stop shoving the idea down your fucking throat. But man, I don't know. It was just plain dumb. I feel like the amount of bs you're asked to swallow easily becomes waaaaaaaay too much the moment you even begin to think about the whole thing.

Before we were even halfway through I said to my friend: "Alright, that's one load of bullshit too many this movie expects me to just swallow". Can't remember which event it was specifically, since it never slows down and just keeps throwing completely unbelievable crap at you. The whole movie has this extremely annoying vibe to it, like it suffers from a severe case of ADHD. I can barely think of a single scene where the camera stayed still for more than a split second. For me, stuff like that can make a movie damn near unwatchable. So yeah, "fuck you" is a good grade. How that script got greenlit is completely baffling.

#980 Edited by billmcneal (305 posts) -

I saw the latest Hobbit movie. I liked it. I would rate it 8/10 just because hobbit and lord of the rings are really fantasy and so removed from reality, it can get boring

#981 Posted by CircleNine (381 posts) -

THE MUPPETS CHRISTMAS CAROL 10/10 PERFECT MOVIE

#983 Posted by clumsyninja1 (817 posts) -

Anmchorman 2 2.5/5

It was good too see the gang together again, but some of the jokes were overrated. Again, Will Ferrell is not for everyone.

#984 Posted by TheBluthCompany (397 posts) -

Wolf of Wall Street. Dicaprio gives one of the best performances I've seen in a movie. 3 strangely potent quaaludes out of 0.

#985 Edited by TheHT (11549 posts) -

Ender's Game - 2/5

Has some cool ideas, a couple good performances, moves to fast to build on any of it effectively.

#986 Edited by development (2450 posts) -

The Europa Report

15/17

It's like Sunshine, if Sunshine's second half wasn't diarrhea. Better EVAs than Gravity.

#987 Posted by HatKing (6034 posts) -

Watched The Heat the day after Christmas with my mom. I had to mask my face a few times because I didn't want my mom to see how much I was laughing at Melissa McCarthy saying fuck so much. It was a ton of fun to watch, and shoots down any of the archaic asshole mindsets that say women can't be funny. Also, probably the best buddy cop movie released in the past decade.

I give it three confirmed acts of police brutality out of three.

#988 Edited by Seedofpower (3941 posts) -

What does this have to do with spam bots again? Also the latest Hobbit, 8/10.

#989 Posted by Zella (777 posts) -

Out Of The Furnace, great pretty much everything except for some of the writing. 4/5

#990 Posted by Stonyman65 (2767 posts) -

@capum15: You saw the Panteao Productions one? That JUST came out a few months ago. Thats the one I was referring to. This one. http://panteaoproductions.com/products/battle-black-sea#.Ur6ODfRDvh4

Something that was glossed over in a lot of ways was the extreme lack of leadership and command breakdown that occurred between the Rangers (Captan Steele specifically) and everyone else. Howe talks about a lot of stuff that wasn't really mentioned anywhere else, and explains why he left the military shortly after. Long story short, a lot of inexperienced officers with big egos fucked up which led to a lot of people getting killed needlessly, and rather than solving the problems everything was buried and those responsible got away with it.

#991 Posted by Capum15 (4939 posts) -

@stonyman65: Nah, the one I saw was "The True Story of Blackhawk Down" like, a few years ago, similar to "The True Story of Killing Pablo Escobar", with some of the people who were there (I think it even included Aidid's son? Or some video of him anyway). Haven't seen this one.

But I did read/hear about how the guys in the recon plane that could see the roads the Convoy was going down had no way to communicate directly to the convoy and had to go through proxies (either to HQ then the C2 chopper to Convoy, or just C2 to Convoy, can't remember which), which caused the convoy to miss various turns and caused them to go back through a wall of bullets.But yeah, that whole ordeal was pretty fucked.

#992 Posted by OldGuy (1567 posts) -
#993 Posted by Robsamuel (75 posts) -

Saw Sharknado on tv over Christmas. It was pretty good. 3/5

#994 Posted by Christoffer (1876 posts) -

Pineapple Express

4/5

First time I've seen it. It was nothing like I expected it to be. Really funny movie though, especially on a lazy sunday afternoon.

#995 Posted by GnomeonFire (772 posts) -

The Wolf of Wallstreet - 10/10. One of the most insane movies I've ever seen, also very long. Man-wieners, boobs, and ass.

#996 Posted by HatKing (6034 posts) -

The Way Way Back starring douche bag Steve Carell, the stiffest kid in the world, and Sam Rockwell as Ryan Reynolds. It was shocking mediocre for as much hype as it had going in.

I give it two neglected children out of a family of five.

#997 Edited by jillsandwich (762 posts) -

@svenzon said:

@babychoochoo said:

Now You See Me.

Before we were even halfway through I said to my friend: "Alright, that's one load of bullshit too many this movie expects me to just swallow". Can't remember which event it was specifically, since it never slows down and just keeps throwing completely unbelievable crap at you. The whole movie has this extremely annoying vibe to it, like it suffers from a severe case of ADHD. I can barely think of a single scene where the camera stayed still for more than a split second. For me, stuff like that can make a movie damn near unwatchable. So yeah, "fuck you" is a good grade. How that script got greenlit is completely baffling.

Duuuuuuuude fuck that trash-ass movie. On a related note, I could not be more fucking sick of Jesse Eisenberg's schtick.

Only reason I could stomach the whole thing was Dave Franco doing his thing and Isla Fisher being adorable. And Common showing up for a bit was cool too, I guess. Don't know why you get rappers in a movie for the purpose of being one-dimensional bit characters, though.

Oh, and last movie I watched was Computer Chess. Not in to mumblecore, but it was entertaining enough to hold my attention for 90 minutes. 3/5.

#998 Posted by Dixavd (1361 posts) -

That latest Simon Pegg film was in the background as my Mum and Sister watched it, meanwhile I was playing Pikmin 3. The film wasn't very distracting and tended to be about the same intensity of light throughout. 7/5 Pikmins.

#999 Posted by FlamingHobo (4483 posts) -

It's A Wonderful Life. A true classic. 10/10

#1000 Posted by bkbroiler (1636 posts) -

Frances Ha - 4/5. One of the easier to watch Noah Bambach movies I've seen in a long time. Still thinking about it a few days later, so must have been pretty good. Frances was kind of unlikable but I think that was the point. Also kind of hilarious that in a way, the whole movie was about how the title came to be.