Skyfall, I give it a 007/007

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. Not my usual kind of movie. Kind of sappy and happy, but it was enjoyable over the holidays. :-) 2.5/5 stars.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I saw The Raid again because that movie is fucking amazing. 13/10

Avatar image for deactivated-62a216db3532b
deactivated-62a216db3532b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watched the last stand. I would give it 5/10. Okay but could have been better.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Two Guns. Terrible dumb Hollywood shoot everything up movie. Garbage. Do not rent. You have been warned. 1/5

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Hobbit 2 gets 7/10

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1007  Edited By Pezen

Pacific Rim

When I watch it; 4/5

When I don't and think about it; 2/5

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Cowboy Bepop was on TV. I thought it was kind of bad. 4/10

Animation quality was good though. 7/10

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

The Way Way Back.

Makes me feel like a shitty parent, but Sam Rockwell was funny. 2/3

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A Company Man - 3/5

Could have been pretty good, but became a shitty revenge film half way through, with a really bad office-wide gunfight.

gunstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gremlins 9.8/10

Avatar image for james_ex_machina
James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The second Resident Evil movie. It was like a SyFy movie with a real budget, otherwise a pig with makeup. 3 oinks out of 5

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

The last movie I watched to completion is Scott Pilgrim and I would give it an 9/10, I really dug it.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Why was my comment about Don Jon and Anchorman 2 deleted?

Poonz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1015  Edited By Poonz

Out of the Furnace - 6.5/10

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I saw The Wolf of Wall Street on Sunday. The first half of that movie is totally bananas with shit just flying off constantly and then it slows down a bit in the second half when everything starts crumbling down around Jordan Belfort but still maintaining that ridiculous tone and still remaining as an exercise in excess. It certainly wasn't boring and I do find it funny that Scorsese movies have gotten way more energetic and fast pace in his older age. 4/5

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1017  Edited By TheHT

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Schmaugendaag - 5/5

It's great! Stuff happens unlike the first one (which I still enjoyed). Smaug and Thranduil are especially great. Thranduil's got that Goblin King swagger and Smaug is so up his own ass all the time. I can see him just flying around talking out loud about how great he is before he took the mountain, I love it.

Holy shit, and that Dol Goldur stuff is fantastic. First time it really felt like Galdalf and Sauron were powerful beings not of this world, it's awesome. Hopefully we'll get to see the White Council come wreck house.

Thranduil playing with his balls.
Thranduil playing with his balls.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1018  Edited By wjb

Identity Thief. 2/5.

Very typical and predictable movie. Melissa McCarthy was fine for her physical comedy and improv (if some bits were improv, that is), but it wasn't really funny. Some plot-holes, too.

I remember when Amanda Peet was fun. Now it seems she makes a career out of playing some guy's wife in every movie I see her in.

SARRISS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yakuza Weapon.

5/5 personal score

3/5 general quality(story, fx, etc.)

In Netflix in canada. Based on a manga I think. Gatling gun arm and anti tank launcher leg. Need I say more?

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#1021  Edited By GunstarRed

I watched The Man with the Iron Fists. It was far too short and felt like it needed to be about an hour longer, although I probably wouldn't have watched it all if it was any longer. It was quite silly. RZA very clearly has a good eye for the action and pretty images, and Corey Yuen fight choreography is always cool.

It was super violent, Russell Crowe is doing a bad English accent, but doesn't give a fuck because he's getting paid to hang around half naked girls and hold a knife-gun-thing menacingly, Lucy Liu is secretly hoping she's in a sequel to Kill Bill and RZA should probably not be allowed to act in front of a camera.

Two bloody arm stumps out of a WWE wrestler.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 1/5

What a stinker. Boring characters, shitty forced love triangle, and action scenes that go on way to long. Almost on the same level as the Star Wars prequels.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Drew: The Man Behind the Poster

5/5! Amazing documentary about the man who will absolutely go down as the greatest movie poster artist in the history of the medium. The ending is heartbreaking since it's a goddamn shame how the industry just uses slapped together Photoshop shit nowadays and has all but killed the hand painted poster.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1024  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Ghostbusters is still pretty rad.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

'The Secret Life of Walter Mitty' 3/5

A nice movie, everyone is nice in it. But the truth is Walter Mitty isn't the nebish they show in teh trailers. He is not discovering life, but rather rediscovering life after keeping his nose too close to teh grind stone. That sort of undermines the transformation since he is not tranfomaing merely restarting. Also the transformation is only slightly mental since Walter Mitty evidently is so in shape he can jump into freezing water and swim 50 yards, bike 15 miles uphill, get down a mountains X-games style, and then walk up three mountains in Tibet. Its fun, its funny, but it has Hollywood logic.

SkygamerzeroX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man of Steel - 8.5 / 10

Out of the entire movie, I really liked how they handled the flying, battles scenes in the movie.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Europa Report -- 65 and 1/3 orangutans.

You know, there just aren't many films like this one. Science fiction that's less about the fiction and more about the science. It gets points for that.

In its best scenes, it's trying shamelessly to crib the amazing claustrophobic tension the first hour and a half of Sunshine had. But it really doesn't do that goal with any particular aplomb. I wasn't in love with the found-footage narrative trappings, I found a lot to scoff at in the premise and the plot mechanics, and I kind of lost all interest in the film when they killed off the best actor in the film half way through.

Stuff happens. None of it is especially moody or interesting. But the film isn't aggressively bad. Certain sequences are pretty dumb. But it has a good intention.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Big Trouble In Little China.

John Carpenter made it. That's all you need. Go watch it.

McDayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1029  Edited By McDayman

Ender's Game: 3/5

Better than expected. To be fair, expected was around a 1/5. I thought several of the difficult roles were played fairly well: Ender, Colonel Graff, Bonzo Madrid. I also rather liked how the battle room was portrayed. Given how much they had to condense into an hour and a half movie, I felt they pressed on enough important points to have it all make sense.

My biggest gripe revolves around a single unnecessary line that really speaks to a greater problem with movies for the general public. It's not really a spoiler, but... when Ender first meets Bean on the shuttle to the space station, Bean ends a brief conversation with the offhand comment, "I grew up on the streets of Rotterdam, ya know?" He says it with this friendly little smirk that about had me wanting to give up on the movie 20 minutes in. So this homeless, family-less, starving kid who grew up on the streets remarks about the whole experience with this "aint it cool" attitude? Ugh. Hollywood, you're still the worst.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tinker, Talior, Soldier, Spy 5/5. Probably too deliberately paced for most people but it's close to (if not the) best spy movie ever made. Oldman is just flat out great.

Also:

Started rewatching The X Files over the last week (and since it was one of the first TV shows that really looked like a movie [most of the time])...

S1 E1: "Pilot" 5/5 It's pretty amazing how much of the show was right there and nailed down from the get go (I'd completely forgotten CSM were there from the very begining).

E2: "Deep Throat" 5/5 We're still firing on all cylinders here.

E3: "Squeeze" 5/5 (can I give this one a 6?) Wow. Creepy. Suspenseful. Weird. Superb.

E4: "Conduit" 3/5 Not bad, but... I can't quite put my finger on it... I feel like it's better than a I feel like it is, but I just don't quite feel it...

E5: "The Jersey Devil" 1/5 Bleah. Almost everything about this one feels half baked and droopy.

E6: "Shadows" 4/5 Morgan and Wong were thinking about vengence from beyond the grave (only a short step to Death itself being the force) long before Final Destination...

OneLoneClone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Room 237 - 3 stars

Various interpretations of Stanley Kubrick's "The Shining". Some are plausible interpretations, others are batshit nuts. An interesting exploration of how people seek patterns everywhere, almost uncontrollably.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

12 Months a Slave - 5/5

It's fucked up.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Lone Ranger

Ehhh it wasn't as bad as I was expecting...it was ok. I guess.

3/5

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

Scrooged.

8/10? I think... it's really hard to say as I've seen it about a dozen times. It's the family tradition to watch it on Christmas Eve, and sometimes if you like a movie as a kid it'll effect your ability to legitimately critique it later in life.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#1035  Edited By mike

I saw the Hobbit: Desolation of a Trilogy. Way too long, forgettable characters, cheesy shoehorned-in love triangle, and in the end they tried to kill Smaug with molten gold...and then a cut to black cliffhanger right before one of the few scenes in the film I actually wanted to see. Fuck you, Peter Jackson. Fuck you right in your stupid ass. 2/5 stars.

mak_wikus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1036  Edited By mak_wikus

Alex Cross - 3/10

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Gravity: 4/5

I can imagine this movie was quite exhausting in theater in 3D.

Schmollian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1038  Edited By Schmollian

Spring Breakers - 1000000/10

Spriiiiiiiing breeeeeak. Spring break forever.

The best god damn movie of 2012.

PS: Look at all my sheeit!

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#1039  Edited By PandaBear

Kick Ass 2: S'ok. Hit-Girl is cool, the guy who plays Kick Ass is average, the plot was a bit too campy. The dog just disappeared too. The story got "too big" in some ways. But I didn't hate it. 3/5 or something.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#1040  Edited By hermes

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.

Weaker than most of Peter Jackson movies, still better than 90% of everything out there... 9/10

michael_katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1041  Edited By michael_katarn

Blue is the Warmest Color.

It was at least an hour longer than necessary and was still only half of the story from the graphic novel (which is only 150 pages compared to a 3 hour movie). Beautifully shot with moments of brilliance and a superbly emotional first half but really dragged after a while. 3/5 (the novel would be a 5/5)

Edit: Also I thought the movie jumped the shark near the end during the restaurant scene.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The last new film I saw was The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. Much better than the first Hobbit film (which was my most dissapointing film of 2012), but still feels really padded out (especially with the dumb love triangle thing) but that dragon sure was cool, as was the barrel sequence. Still really think these Hobbit films pale massively in comparison to the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I'd give it a 3/5.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rise of the planet of the Apes

3/5

The movie aims for something much higher than the committee of businessmen allows it to achieve. The obligatory hammy emotional moments, love moments, actions moments brings down a solid story about toying with nature and that old stupid white mans burden.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oldboy

5/5

Stunning, completely moved the bar for me in terms of what to expect from a thriller.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I've been watching a lot of anime lately and I consider my marathon watching of Rurouni Kenshin to be as long/longer than a movie so... I rate it 10 Kenshin Himuras out of 5 Hiko Seijuros.

Also I can't recall the last movie I saw since it's been awhile now 0_o

mak_wikus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1046  Edited By mak_wikus

@gizmo said:

Oldboy

5/5

Stunning, completely moved the bar for me in terms of what to expect from a thriller.

Original or the remake?

A Serious Man - 7/10

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1047  Edited By OldGuy

Inception 4/5 A nice little thriller. The plot/world inconsistencies really bapped me on the side of the head and did not help. I didn't find it hard to follow at all (nor did I have any trouble with Mementowhich is also a 4/5, btw - I really appreciate how the structure of that film hides how bog standard the "real" story is), as a programmer from long ago the idea of recursion didn't blow my mind either...

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

Skyfall: 8/10

I never got the feeling that the villain was actually as manically smart or clever as everyone around him kept saying or implying he was. As such, some of the things he was shown doing simply seemed like lazy writing. Other than this, the movie was mostly OK.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amour : One of the best movies I've ever seen, so 10/10?

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From Up on Poppy Hill: 5/5

I bought the blu ray for this film on a whim. I hadn't seen it, but I have been watching every SG film I can for the past year and amazon had a sale, so I went for it. And I'm glad I did.

I think everything about it is great; animation, story, characters. It's one of my personal favorite SG films after seeing it. Some extremely touching, tender moments that really affected me.

I do think it was a bit short for the amount of story beats it tried to fit in. It could have used some fleshing out, but the movie was made during a very trying time for Japan (the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster) so what they accomplished is fucking impressive for what they were dealing with at the time. To me this is a minor complaint in the scheme of things

I highly recommend it, especially if you're into great post war dramas and Japanese animation at its finest.

Also, someone tell disney to release more Studio Ghibli films on blu ray. I still need to watch Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke, but I want the animation to be the best it can be, and only blu ray can do that (as of now, at least).