#1551 Posted by nickhead (212 posts) -

Men in Black

Probably the millionth time I had seen it, but the last time was maybe 10 years ago in its entirety. 5/5 for nostalgia living up to adult reality. I was 7 years old when this movie came out, and it was incredibly entertaining. I'm now about to turn 25 and I found even more aspects to like. Linda Fiortientino's character was so dry and dark, which I obviously never noticed as a kid. Surprisingly, the special effects still looked great considering how old it is now.

10/10 for Tommy Lee Jones.

#1552 Posted by meaninoflife42 (551 posts) -

Divergent

It's a bad movie but I enjoyed how bad it was. The bad acting made me laugh and parts of the climax had me in stitches.

3/5.

#1553 Edited by Pr1mus (3947 posts) -

GSP: L'adn d'un champion.

Takedown: The DNA of GSP.

Documentary about Georges St-Pierre's career in MMA.

4/5

I'm a big fan of boxing but never got into MMA and as such missed most of his career despite him being one of the greatest local athlete from Québec. This was a great watch and i have more respect for him than i already had. I don't think this will make me a fan of MMA however. As much respect as i have for these athletes this is just too rough to watch for me.

Also this is a terrible English title. What the fuck is wrong with GSP: DNA of a Champion?

#1554 Posted by GnomeonFire (778 posts) -

The Giver - 4/5

It's not the book, but still a good movie. Jeff Bridges is awesome even when he's clearly drunk on camera.

#1555 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1482 posts) -

Man Snowpiercer is pretty amazing. One of the more interesting movies i seen in a while. Its a movie where you shouldn't think too hard about the plot and just enjoy the snowy post apocalyptic train ride. I cant really explain why i really loved it without spoiling it, just know that things get pretty over the top and wierd. Also you can kind of ignore the last 10 minutes mostly because that is where things take a dive.

I cant resist one spoiler: "I know what people taste like, I know that babies taste the best" I never thought i would hear that in this move. Oh so many good What am i watching moments

5 Gelatinous Protein Blocks out of 5, definitely worth the watch

#1556 Posted by dudeglove (8286 posts) -

Eyes Wide Shut was up and down for me, but it has the best closing line from Kidman. Kubrick liked to fuck with his audience's expectations. Also a reminder that Cruise isn't a bad actor either.

#1557 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4811 posts) -

Godzilla - 2/5. It had it's good moments, but felt kinda cheesy far too often. Also not a fan of the design of the antagonist monster. Not sure if it's a classic monster or not, but it felt a bit too generic scifi-y.

#1558 Posted by LentFilms (223 posts) -

Just saw Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and liked it quite a bit, I give it 4 machine-gun wielding monkeys out of 5.

#1559 Posted by Pezen (1668 posts) -

Date Night - An entertaining comedy that didn't stick out in any way after I watched it. It's really quite strange, I can't muster any real thought on the movie other than a shrug of approval. 2/5

Sabotage - Arnold Schwarzenegger will have to do a whole lot of things wrong for me to dislike one of his films. He's always been sort of a personal hero of mine and I've always enjoyed his work (except that one movie that doesn't exist, looking at you T3, but that was forces too great even for him to overcome). That being said, I found Sabotage to be a fun action film. The story once it's finished isn't actually half bad, but a lot is to be desired when it comes to the overall dialogue that feels like it's written by a 13 year old boy that's trying to be edgy. Also, I keep being impressed by the work of Mireille Enos, she's talented and I hope she'll get more serious roles. 3/5

Her - I had a hard time coming to terms with my thoughts on the movie. On one hand, I found the concepts and ideas the movie was talking about to be really interesting. The possible future where we're partially so used to talking to computers that the needs of other humans become a liability on our comfort, a thought I have often had in situations with close ones. But the movie also explores many other philosophical and technical ideas that are all fascinating. But somewhere in that poetic pondering of life and love, the movie started to really drag. It didn't help that the level at which the OS was sentient happened really quickly, the movie never really eased you into accepting that concept nor why the main character would so quickly accept that level of interaction. But as I said, at it's peak, the movie drags right up until the last act. All in all, I would say as a piece of entertainment it wasn't what I expected and I'm a bit disappointed, but as a thinking piece and a thought worth having, it's really interesting. 3/5 - 4/5 (depending on what I focus on)

The Grand Budapest Hotel - It's been a long time since I saw a movie that felt really snappy. It's part of the reason I enjoy old Humphrey Bogart films and films of that era, there was a quickness and an elegance to how dialogue was performed between actors that rarely happens today. I thought the movie was gorgeous, story was engaging and dialogue was very witty. Ralph Fiennes's Mr. Gustave is the crowning jewel of a character inside a movie filled with memorable characters of all levels of importance. I could definitely see myself going back to this movie in a year and be equally entertained all over again. 5/5

#1560 Edited by Zevvion (2366 posts) -

@pr1mus said:

GSP: L'adn d'un champion.

Takedown: The DNA of GSP.

Documentary about Georges St-Pierre's career in MMA.

4/5

I'm a big fan of boxing but never got into MMA and as such missed most of his career despite him being one of the greatest local athlete from Québec. This was a great watch and i have more respect for him than i already had. I don't think this will make me a fan of MMA however. As much respect as i have for these athletes this is just too rough to watch for me.

Also this is a terrible English title. What the fuck is wrong with GSP: DNA of a Champion?

You're probably too unfamiliar with it to see it is a highly technical sport. Most people who first watch MMA think it's just maddness and chaos and an attempt to look brutal. It's none of that. Once you see what they are actually doing it is highly enjoyable to watch. Even moreso if you practice it yourself and recognize situations.

#1561 Posted by Pr1mus (3947 posts) -

@zevvion: I've watched plenty of fights. I don't actively follow it but i understand very well what they do. I'm not one of those who thinks it's a street fight with no rules involving a bunch of murderers. It still remains a lot more brutal on average than boxing and the kind of injuries you sometimes see or the amount of blood at times or really, just the nature of the hits makes it really difficult for me to watch. I'm saying this as someone who doesn't like horror movies for that reason. I respect the athletes and the sport but i just find it unpleasant to watch.

#1562 Posted by Zevvion (2366 posts) -

@pr1mus said:

@zevvion: I've watched plenty of fights. I don't actively follow it but i understand very well what they do. I'm not one of those who thinks it's a street fight with no rules involving a bunch of murderers. It still remains a lot more brutal on average than boxing and the kind of injuries you sometimes see or the amount of blood at times or really, just the nature of the hits makes it really difficult for me to watch. I'm saying this as someone who doesn't like horror movies for that reason. I respect the athletes and the sport but i just find it unpleasant to watch.

Fair enough. Though I dislike horror movies also, but I'm not sure I'm following that specific comparison.

#1563 Posted by ShapeOfDespair (57 posts) -

I just watched Things. It was absolutely amazing. 5/5.

#1564 Posted by civid (546 posts) -

I've watched quite a few movies since I last wrote in, so here's some highlights

• Ginger Snaps and Ginger Snaps Back: The Beginning - Ginger Snaps was a pleasant suprise and great example of how to make a very traditional werewolf film feel modern. I usually don't like werewolf movies (other than the Howling franchise, which I absolutely adore), but the characters and story arc really grabbed me. The third act is also pretty damn creepy with some very impressive puppet-work. Ginger Snaps Back: The Beginning on the other hand feels extremely rushed with none of the character development of the first one, the pacing is completely off with pretty much all of the plotlines going nowhere and awfull direction that makes it impossible to make out what's happening in most action scenes because of shaky cam.
  • Brotherhood of the Wolf - A French film made by Christoph Gans, the dude who made the original Silent Hill movie, which I really liked. Other than a messy third act, I think that movie is highly underrated. This one was kind of a mess, sadly. It was very long and very little happens in it. It takes place shortly before The French Revolution and is about a bountyhunter type guy who tries to hunt down a Beast who kills famers. Most of the movie is just padding which means we get to spend a great deal of time with some highly entertaining characters. Which is fine and all, it's just, nothing really happens until the last hour and by then you've probably already figured out pretty much every plot twist the movie stuffs into the last third act. The fighting is also super weird. It's very Matrix-inspired in its use of exaggerated hand-to-hand combat and slow-motion, which doesn't really fit with the tone of the rest of the movie. So yeah, a fun flick with a very unique style, that probably isn't worth two and a half hours of your time.
  • Hatchet II and Hatchet III - Fuck these movies. Seriously these are the kinds of trash, bullshit movies that give horror flicks a bad name. Yes, it's cool that the Hatchet-franchise only uses practical effects... Except the effects are fucking garbage. I've watched movies with CGI blood that's more convincing than this. Yes, having your sequels take place right after the original is a very classic horror movie trope (Halloween 2, Friday The 13th part 4 and Evil Dead 2 and 3), but the sequel still needs to be a fucking movie on its own. You still need a beginning middle and end. These are barely movies. They're really shitty death montages bookended by bland exposition monolouges.
#1565 Posted by civid (546 posts) -

Death Wish - Look I love me some 70's dark vigilante/police thrillers. And Death Wish is certainly well made, with Bronson giving an absolute chilling performance as the lead. The rape/mugging scene at the beginning is absolutely haunting it reminds you how far directors were allowed to go in the 70's compared to today. However this scene does not justify the main character - a rich white dude by the way - spending an hour GUNNING DOWN MOSTLY BLACK MUGGERS AND DRUG ADDICTS, and then completely white-washing him of any wrong-doing afterwards by justifying all of his actions. This movie just left me with a real fucking bad taste in my mouth.

#1566 Edited by Nightriff (5353 posts) -

Godzilla (2014) - 5/5

First (new) movie in sometime that I really really enjoyed (that wasn't an animated film). Just was a lot of fun and really enjoyable. Recommend it to anyone who enjoys a lot of destruction in their movies.

Hercules (1997) - 3/5

Been a looooong time since I've watched this movie. I absolutely hate the soundtrack but it is quite fun and I find myself wanting to watch it again despite thinking it is quite medicore. Real weird relationship with this film. Not the best Disney/Animated film, but weirdly one of my favorites to watch now.

Sword in the Stone - 2/5

I just can't like this movie, it seems to have no real plot or anything. Just Merlin doing random stuff with Wort for the hell of it and just randomly ends. Thought it was better the last time I saw it...but I can't seem to like it, disappointing.

Sleeping Beauty - 5/5

I really really like this movie, has a good balance of visuals, story, and characters. Not the best Disney movie but one I really enjoy watching. The short run time definitely makes it easier to watch, wish the final fight between the prince and maleficent was longer but I'll take what I can get. Still lives up to this day.

Anchorman 2 - 2/5

Was really disappointed in this movie...just hit the same beats and jokes from the first film and that was frustrating to watch. Some...some funny parts but overall I was just bored. I MEAN LITERALLY THE SAME JOKES FROM THE FIRST MOVIE! God damn it was depressing to watch.

EDIT: I'm slowly going through all the old Disney films to see if I still like them and if I would want my son to watch them as well. Why I recently watched Stone, Beauty and Hercules.

EDIT 2: And after watching the recent Godzilla, I decided to rewatch the 98 version as it is a film I held dear to my heart as a 9 year old at the time.

Godzilla (1998) - 2/5

I now understand why Godzilla enthusiasts dislike this movie. I don't think it is that bad, not good by any means though. It really is just Jurassic Park in New York and probably would've been....better received? Doubt that but not as hated if it went that direction. I found it kinda boring, the jokes missed 90% of the time and the only part I really enjoyed was Jean Reno still. Special effects haven't aged well and the movie is 30 minutes too long. Maybe my son will like it when he is older, I don't know but I don't think I want to watch it again anytime soon. And this is why I'm afraid at going back and watching movies I loved at that age. I don't think I'll go back and watch the James Bond films soon now as I adored them as a child, now I'm just afraid of being disappointed.

#1567 Edited by JadeGL (969 posts) -

Amazing Spider-man 2 - This is quite possibly the worst superhero movie I've seen since the last Fantastic Four film. Really terrible with a "twist" that surprises no one at all and which they tease so much I was practically begging for it by the end. I give it 1 telegraphed plot point out of 5.

300: Rise of an Empire - This movie was fine as pure spectacle. Eva Green was fantastic, and Lena Headey was also fun. The worst sin this movie committed was to constantly remind me how much I more I liked 300 and how much this movie really needed Gerard Butler. I would say this gets 3 sets of washboard abs out of 5.

Moderator Online
#1568 Posted by MocBucket62 (1259 posts) -

Need for Speed starring Aaron Paul- What a waste of talent to have Paul play such an uninteresting main character. The movie's plot is also pretty boring and takes itself too seriously, though the jokes crammed in here are hit and miss at best. And some of the races are exciting to watch, but honestly I felt this was a wanna be movie to the Fast and Furious films. 1.5/5

#1569 Edited by Nightriff (5353 posts) -

@jadegl: May I ask what the twist was in the movie? Spoiler tag of course for others.

#1570 Posted by JadeGL (969 posts) -

@nightriff: Ok, we had heard from everyone in youtube comments etc that there was some sort of twist. Maybe they couched it in incorrect terms, but my husband and I went in thinking there was a twist. So when Gwen Stacy dies, we were like "That's not a twist, that's the most well known plot point in Spider-man history!" Like I said, maybe people sold it wrong in all the reviews we had watched and the spoiler casts we avoided, but it was really the most obvious thing ever.

Moderator Online
#1571 Posted by Glottery (1391 posts) -

Sabotage (2014)

Out of Arnie's new wave of movies (This one, The Last Stand and Escape Plan), this was certainly better than Last Stand, but not as good as Escape Plan (which exactly wasn't high art, but still entertaining enough.). That said, the whole task force lead by Arnie consisted of mostly forgettable characters and I kinda lost interest in the plot half-way through as well...but at least the action was good and big A wasn't that bad either! Still waiting for that proper comeback movie, though...

#1572 Posted by LTSmash (659 posts) -

I love everyone involved in They Came Together but, man, what a disappointment.

#1573 Posted by Nightriff (5353 posts) -

Captain America The First Avenger - 4/5

Been a few years since I've seen it and I liked it more now than I did when I first saw it. Good action and the casting was well done. I am a sucker for weird Nazi stuff in media like the Nazi's in Indiana Jones films, HYDRA, Wolfenstein, Hellboy and so on so I appreciated that stuff more as I find the goofiness of it enduring. Not a fan of Captain America but the fiction around him I enjoy.

Captain America The Winter Soldier - 5/5

Really enjoyed the film, had a lot of good action and the plot was really enjoyable. I wasn't expecting HYDRA to be back so that was a real nice surprise. Just a real solid movie, biggest disappointment is they led you to believe something happened to someone that was bad and it was all for naught and that was a disappointment. Would watch again. (Hate the actor they got for the Winter Soldier though, keep the mask on dude.)

#1574 Edited by deadshot_52 (23 posts) -

Guardians of the Galaxy 9/10

I liked the action, graphics, humor and all of the characters. Chris Pratt nailed his role IMO

#1575 Posted by Marduke1913 (30 posts) -

Edge of Tomorrow. It was actually very clever and they didnt do a cheesy romantic story subplot that usually muddies movies with big starts. I give it a solid 7.4. A must see for fans of Sci-Fi.

#1576 Posted by Redbullet685 (6085 posts) -

The House of the Devil - 4.5/5

Builds fantastic tension for almost the entire movie and actually executes on it. Hearkens back to 70's/80's horror flicks with so much love. The way it's shot, it's look, everything screams 70's/80's (and not just because it's set in the early 80's)

#1577 Posted by dudeglove (8286 posts) -

Eric Bana's latest flick "Deliver us from Evil" (I think that's the name in English) is nothing like the trailer. It relies heavily (almost exclusively) on jump scares, which in one case doesn't make any goddamn sense. It goes from vague attempts at being a spooky detective thriller, but in the final 20 minutes it ends up turning into the Exorcist because... I don't know. Eric Bana is too goddamn handsome to be playing a cynical grizzled veteran cop. Maybe there's something to be said for the special effects in places, which are gruesome. Also it manages to be Islamophobic in the first five minutes. It's actually worse than Constantine, and that had Shia Leboeuf in it. Also it has fucking Joel McHale, so that should tell you all you need to know.

2 pentagrams out of 666.

#1578 Posted by Christoffer (1921 posts) -

Edge of tomorrow

4/5

War of the worlds meets Groundhog Day. I hesitated to watch this movie because the premise seemed so ridiculous. And the whole movie was kind of ridiculous, but they totally made it work somehow. It had a certain pulp sci-fi "what if..." setup but with a whole bunch of production quality. Really liked it.

#1579 Posted by logfella (21 posts) -

Boyhood

I really liked this movie until Mason is about to go to college. Maybe Linklater is just depicting the age, but I really don't want to hear a pretentious angst-machine spewing out his shitty philosophy for an hour. Everything leading up to that is great though, especially Ethan Hawke and the sense of time progressing.

A good movie with one of the more cringe inducing final words I've watched in a while.

4/5

#1580 Posted by GunstarRed (5462 posts) -

I watched Anchorman 2 last night and found it to be mostly unfunny. I like the first one, but this just reuses jokes badly. The shark song and the insane fight at the end are truly great, but don't really make up for the laziness elsewhere.

1 absurd transformation/ 90 mins of poor jokes.

Commando.

I could watch this once a week and never not be amused by its silliness.

Arnie kills so many dudes/ HE KILLS SO MANY DUDES AT THE END!

#1581 Posted by LentFilms (223 posts) -

I just randomly saw Woochi on Netflix, it was sort of all over the place and ultimately pretty forgettable. I'd have to give it 2 Mario 64 paintings out of 5.

#1582 Edited by Jeust (10858 posts) -

I've seen Solitary Man and it is a solid 10 out of 10. It's a great drama about getting old and the old question which way to live is better: about selfishness or altruism?.

#1583 Posted by RoyaleWifCheese (559 posts) -

Machete Kills.

Man, I really liked that fake trailer for Machete the first time I saw Grindhouse (which I fucking loved. Saw it three times in the theater). The first proper film that came from that was fine. Not great, just fine.

Machete Kills takes that initial joke and stamps on its face until it isn't recognizable or even funny anymore.

2/5

#1584 Edited by ScotchMonkey (29 posts) -

M (1934)

Nicely shot, surreal at times.Cant comment on the acting because Im not fully fluent in German. The plot presents a moral conundrum in an interesting fashion and makes some great points that I cannot elaborate on for fear of spoiling the plot (Im also not that good a writer). The director Fritz Lang, said that this film was his best work.

Id recommend it for those into noir and pre war films.

#1585 Posted by liquiddragon (271 posts) -

Mr. Nobody - impressively put together, great sounding, great looking work. Belgium Synecdoche, New York.

4/5

#1586 Posted by BonOrbitz (2252 posts) -

You're Next.

A great slasher (and the best home invasion film I've seen) that has an interesting sickly twist and a great protagonist. Kinda clever and visceral, I think this is a film horror fans shouldn't miss out on on Netflix steaming. I'd go into it more, but I don't want to spoil anything! The only thing I regret with this film is taking too long to see it.

5 blood splatters outta 5

#1587 Edited by Shaka999 (500 posts) -

Guardians of the Galaxy

First, I should probably admit I'm sick of superhero movies. I feel I should put my biases up front. I only saw it because it was free.

While it had some enjoyable moments and some relatively funny parts, I felt like I was watching a different version of the Avengers. Group of people who don't like each much at first team up, try to do their own thing, get their asses kicked, realize they need to team up, then team up to narrowly defeat the ultimate evil just before all is lost. A character ultimately "sacrifices" themselves, only to not actually sacrifice themselves. I just don't get how fatigue for these movies hasn't already set in.

2/5

#1588 Posted by fossas (183 posts) -

Boyhood is pretty good, you guys.

#1589 Posted by hermes (1606 posts) -

Chronicle: 3/5

The acting was decent, the action was great for such a low budget film and I enjoyed the premise...

Was not a fan of the "found footage" format, though; and I think it was overdone. Its like the movie wants to forget about it sometimes, and really pushes it beyond its breaking point...

#1590 Posted by Fly53Corps (43 posts) -

Inbetweeners 2. Huge fan of the television show. Was very much looking forward to the new film and it didn't let me down, I thought it was hilarious. I hope the lads make many more films!

#1591 Posted by TheHT (11786 posts) -

Godzilla - 4/5

Really, really good! I never watched proper Godzilla movies and always wondered how Godzilla was supposed to be the good monster, but they do a good job of getting that across here without being too too hokey. It's still melodramatic and a bit goofy, but it's fun melodrama.

They also did a surprisingly good job of getting across how terrifyingly large these things are.

#1592 Posted by Stealthmaster86 (682 posts) -

Captain America The First Avenger - 4/5

Been a few years since I've seen it and I liked it more now than I did when I first saw it. Good action and the casting was well done. I am a sucker for weird Nazi stuff in media like the Nazi's in Indiana Jones films, HYDRA, Wolfenstein, Hellboy and so on so I appreciated that stuff more as I find the goofiness of it enduring. Not a fan of Captain America but the fiction around him I enjoy.

Captain America The Winter Soldier - 5/5

Really enjoyed the film, had a lot of good action and the plot was really enjoyable. I wasn't expecting HYDRA to be back so that was a real nice surprise. Just a real solid movie, biggest disappointment is they led you to believe something happened to someone that was bad and it was all for naught and that was a disappointment. Would watch again. (Hate the actor they got for the Winter Soldier though, keep the mask on dude.)

It is the same actor they got to play Bucky in the first film.

Still, The Winter Soldier was great.

The Lost World: Jurassic Park - I still like this movie quite a bit, 4 out of 5.

#1593 Posted by LunarJetman (151 posts) -

Watched Million Dollar Baby. I liked it a lot!

4/5 Stars.

#1594 Edited by Nightriff (5353 posts) -

It is the same actor they got to play Bucky in the first film.

Still, The Winter Soldier was great.

Oh I know that, just didn't care for the casting choice/how they designed the character in the movie, he can't pull off long hair.

#1595 Posted by GunstarRed (5462 posts) -

Supergirl.

Wow! I hadn't seen this since I was a child. The last half of this film is some of the nuttiest shit I have ever seen. Witches and goat demons and sinking into green goo. I have absolutely no clue what was going on. It has this odd tone that I can't quite figure out. I can't tell if it was made for little girls or pervy older men. I just.. I dunno... the cokehead from Die Hard plays the love interest in it.

Peter o' toole spouting nonsense/A theme that sounds like the King of Kings song from Katamari.

#1596 Edited by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -

The last movie I watched was an adaptation of an old Dostoevsky short story called The Double. It was the second movie in two days that I had seen starring Jesse Eisenberg (the other of which was so bad that I can't even remember the name of it), but The Double was actually really good. Its style is a little bit unnerving - Terry Gilliam and David Lynch both spring to mind as immediate influences - but I liked it a lot. It's the right kind of weird, but it doesn't feel like it's being weird for weirdness' sake.

Edit: Also, there's a very brief cameo by J. Mascis from Dinosaur Jr. I don't even listen to Dinosaur Jr., but somehow I totally recognized J. Mascis as soon as I saw him. Eerie.

#1597 Posted by Slaps2 (286 posts) -

Full Metal Jacket 5/5

One of the most convincing war movies in existence. It's also a perfect example of how to take something incredibly disturbing and make it continuously funny.

#1598 Posted by Slaps2 (286 posts) -

A Trip to the Moon: 5/5 It's fascinating. Everyone go look it up.

#1599 Posted by thedez (133 posts) -

50/50 4.5/5

We should all have a friend like Seth Rogan.

#1600 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5992 posts) -

The Birdcage 4/5

Good Morning Vietnam 5/5