Rate the last movie you watched.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

Another horror movie via Netflix:

Frozen 5/5 (No, not that one...this one.)

I genuinely enjoyed this a lot, particularly owing to the minimalist setting and relatively plausible premise (a nice change from ghosts, demons, aliens, etc...). There were some incredibly tense, disturbing, and terrifying moments. Also, really nice cinematography.

Toastburner_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

Of Miracles and Men (5/5)

It's a sports documentary (Wait! Don't go! Let me finish!) about the rise of the amazingly dominate Soviet Union hockey team that famously lost to the US hockey team in the Lake Placid Olympics in 1980 (ie: the Miracle on Ice), as told from the perspective of the players on the Soviet team. With how much that story got told and re-told with the movie 'Miracle' that came out a few years back, it was interesting to see it told from the other side. It also gives a peek at how/why the Soviet Union took sports so seriously. Might be worth watching just to hear the Soviet commentary at the end of the USSR vs USA game as compared to the "Do you believe in miracles?!" track we see associated with it, as well as seeing one of the former Soviet players rant about how much he doesn't want to see the movie "Miracle" when asked about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Backcountry

Solid, suspenseful horror/thriller. It was nice to watch a movie that doesn't rely on jump scares. There were quite a few moments where the music went quiet and the camera pulled in tight and I fully expected a jump scare... but nope. Solid acting, nice cinematography and a suitable soundtrack.

4/5

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 6

CHAPPiE! I have seen it twice now in theaters and liked it very much. I also liked District 9 and like CHAPPiE even better. It is about a robot who gets human thought and feelings. It has action and comedy. It is rated R and has some language and violence. Even though Yolandi Visser and Ninja from Die Antwoord are in it and are not professional actors, I thought they did a good job

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The Hobbit: Battle of 5 armies.

It's exatly what I thought it would be. Lots of nonsense. I will admit I enjoyed it though. Probably won't bother with an extended cut.

thecannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last movie I watched was Sherlock Holmes with Robert Downey Jr. I'd give it a 7/10. Cast was great and I was entertained throughout the whole thing, but there wasn't anything overwhelmingly amazing about it, and there were a couple of times I didn't have a full understand of what was going on (though it was likely because I was doing other stuff while watching).

Avatar image for militantfreudian
militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I watched Interstellar two weeks ago, and I don't know. It had a little too much exposition for my liking and I thought that the ending was downright terrible. My favorite thing about the film was the cinematography; I really liked how they alternated between 70mm and 35mm wide frames. Overall, I thought that it was entertaining for the most part -- certainly more so than Inception or The Dark Knight Rises. After seeing yet another big-budget film from Nolan, I can't help but wonder what else he could do.

I also watched Wild and it was all right; I liked it much more than Dallas Buyers Club. Reese Witherspoon and Laura Dern gave very good performances, and their characters were interesting. It was grittier than I expected. It's worth a watch, especially if you were interested in seeing it.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The last film I watched was A Girl At My Door and I really enjoyed it, despite it being bleak as fuck and about things like alcoholism, parent-child abuse, and small-town bigotry. Both main actresses put on incredible performances - and also both worked for free due to the super low budget of the film - as was admittedly expected as they're both great actresses. I give it a 9/10

CHAPPiE! I have seen it twice now in theaters and liked it very much. I also liked District 9 and like CHAPPiE even better. It is about a robot who gets human thought and feelings. It has action and comedy. It is rated R and has some language and violence. Even though Yolandi Visser and Ninja from Die Antwoord are in it and are not professional actors, I thought they did a good job

To be fair to them, they kind of are professional actors. Yolandi and Ninja are just characters they both play, having both played different characters in different groups in the past.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The Wrestler 5/5

The movie captured the emotion of wrestling in a way that I didn't foresee as possible.

Avatar image for creepyunclebrad
CreepyUncleBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Furious 7

Very impressed, pretty much three or four major action sequences with 5-10 minutes of dialogue setting each one up. It was brainless, dumb and super entertaining. The ending was actually a surprisingly good send off for Paul Walker. Is it Birdman, Grand Budapest Hotel or Wolf of Wallstreet? Nah but I'll still give it a 5/5

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2161  Edited By ltsmash

Some quick hits from the past week

Moonraker: 3/5

Action Jackson: 3/5

Next of Kin: 2/5

He Got Game: 4/5

swordmagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fast & Furious 6

10/10

Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heat. I had not watched it in a long time.

Still a great movie.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

Furious 7. 10 outta 5. What a wonderfully entertaining film. Just spectacularly dumb action throughout and a beautifully touching and emotional ending. I can't wait to see it again.

rand0mZer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dr. Strangelove

5/5

Peter Sellers is AMAZING in this film. I had not seen it until now, and I plan on re-watching it immediately.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Midnight Meat Train 2/5.

The are some great silly horror movies (e.g. Shaun of the Dead), but Midnight Meat Train is the bad kind of silly. Everything about the movie just seemed nonsensical and stupid, yet the movie is always so straight-faced. It's also the kind of horror movie that heavily relies on showing a lot of over-the-top gore, this leads to some unintentionally hilarious moments.

Avatar image for solidredskyrim1
solidredskyrim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recently watched The Matrix Trilogy and I'd give -

The Matrix - 9.9/10

The Matrix Reloaded - 9/10

The Matrix Revolutions - 6/10.

Great movies.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Furious 7: I'd say it's a 4/5 for me. Very entertained all the way through but I felt that Jason Statham's Deckard Shaw was a very weak villain. And now I'm watching The Fast and the Furious.

Avatar image for kommradeobvious
KommradeObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Furious 7: 9/10, great action, funny as fuck acting, but bring tissues for the end.

reverendk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2170  Edited By reverendk

@probablytuna: The opening bit with him is great, but he gets sidelined fairly quickly. It's the movies only real weakness since they make such a big deal about how tough he is and then he sort of just shows up in the background occasionally. Maybe they have to do it because you can't have the whole group fight just this one guy without it looking really silly.

I still give Furious 7 a 9/10

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reverendk: If the movie wasn't as entertaining as it was, I would've been way more annoyed about the lack of payoff for such a great setup for Deckard Shaw. It just felt like the whole time Shaw was targeting only Dom and no one else, which is silly since he was planning to take down the entire team (starting with Han). Besides, out of the group only Dom, Brian and Letty were capable of fighting (except when Tej suddenly could take down a guy with ease for some reason) so it only would've been three vs one. Oh well, the Shaw brothers survived their respective battles anyway so I'm sure they'll come back in the future for round three.

Avatar image for deactivated-640902c98a1cd
deactivated-640902c98a1cd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally saw Shaun of the Dead with a friend like 10 years too late. 4/5. Was funny.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally saw Shaun of the Dead with a friend like 10 years too late. 4/5. Was funny.

Ha! I came in here to talk about Edgar Wright's latest: The World's End and how it was OK, but nowhere near as good as Shaun of the Dead was.

The World's End is a bit too cynical. Sure, Shaun of the Dead was cynical too, but in an endearing way. In TWE, the cynicism cuts a little deep. Frankly, it's a bit depressing. Not what I come to an Edgar Wright movie for.

The movie is well acted enough. Decent performances all round and some decent, affecting character drama. Except for Nick Frost. Something about Frost always just seems terribly insincere to me. Not sure why they keep teaming him up with the superior Simon Pegg. Presumably they are actually good friends. I don't even know who the rest of the cast are, but they do a good job.

The sci-fi elements in this one feel a bit tacked on. The Zombies in SotD were crucial and a clever metaphor. This time around, they're basically robot-zombies, and they don't appear until halfway into the movie, and then they're almost completely superficial to the movie's themes. It feels like Wright wants to make a straight-up dramedy, but can't bring himself to just drop the supernatural like he did with the also-superior Hot Fuzz.

I bash, but in the end, it was an enjoyable enough popcorn chewing romp. 3/5 severed robotic limbs.

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Saw "Cool Hand Luke" the other night. I'd give it 50 eggs.

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This week I saw Fast 7, The Punisher, Last Samurai

Fast 7 felt like the new adaptation of 80s action molded into today's audience with the Furious style. Total nonstop action through out the film. The Rock should just be a super hero in that movie who never dies because his one liners were spectacular as well as his attitude of taking out a drone and hauling a mini gun through a tunnel to shoot shit. Man, Paul Walker, that was a hell of an ending and I love that last overhead shot where the cars take two different paths. The symbolism got me real good.

Watched the Punsher on netflix because my roommate had never seen it. Told him the cast and he was already interested. Also told him you will notice Kevin Nash pop up in the movie. When the Russian breaks through the door e excitedly says "I found Kevin Nash!" I laughed uncontrollably for a few minutes. Still a great movie and why I always have a softspot when practical effects are used and combined with slick cinematography.

Last Samurai is just a cool movie. I love big war movies where theres hundred of guys on screen and there's chaos. This moive is no different! I love the themes in this movie. The biggest to me is that your enemy today may not be one tomorrow. It really resonates with MGS and Kojima in snake eater (or Dan Eater ). Although it is still the classic movie cliche of white man comes into foreign tribe and become the best warrior and somehow is the leader after a few months, but semantics right!?

schlorgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Furious 7. 10/10. Holy crap.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last night I ate a pizza and drank whiskey and watched Robocop 2, fell asleep for 15 minutes on the couch with the cat, and then awoke and watched Big Trouble in Little China.

I rate the entire evening a 5/5. Recommended. Would do again.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2178  Edited By fattony12000

The Film

七人の侍 (Seven Samurai)

• Released in 1954
  • Run-time: 207 minutes
  • Directed by Akira Kurosawa
  • The Criterion Collection Blu-ray (2010)

My Review

The classic tale of A Situation Involving People. Still an utter masterwork in every regard. Fucking holy shit goddamn.

My Score

Maximum Score out of Maximum Score

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Furius 7, Score: 9/10

Do wonder how something this dumb can be so good

Chris_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Inglourious Basterds, 5/5.

I loved it, pretty much anything that Tarantino makes is great.

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#2181  Edited By SubwayD

Riki Oh - The War (Wall?) Of Hell

Seeing as The Story of Ricky is coming out on Blu Ray this Summer, and being a fan of it's campy ultra-violent martial arts hijinks, it seemed like the right time to check out the anime based on the manga... that the film is based on.

Cheap, lurid and terribly pulpy. Pretty much everything you'd want from an 80s anime about a bloke who pretty much kills everyone with a single punch. It's crazy how bad-ass they make Riki out to be. I mean, they put him in his jail cell and the first thing he does is punch the wall so hard, it crumbles down and he proceeds to have the run of the place for the rest of the film. Dude could quite easily just leave, yet he hangs about and takes some abuse every now and then just to "see what it's like".

Interestingly enough, it seems that the live action film is closer to the story of the comic than the animated one. It certainly retains more of the gruesome kills and characters, which seems odd as I was expecting the anime to go way further OTT.

Avatar image for deactivated-5985ee6460d86
deactivated-5985ee6460d86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

John Wick

I had seen it a month or 2 ago and I felt underwhelmed but I saw it for a second time and I loved it.

Felt the directing was great, with long shots and smart editing, the action never feels forced or overdone. Also the cast is pretty much great.

My final rating would be a 4/5. I took 1 point off because the final act was a little off(I felt the boss needed to go out in a shootout, rather than the way he goes).

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2183  Edited By BeachThunder

Super 8 4/5.

I have never seen The Goonies, but I know enough about it to know that this is pretty much that. Oh, and also Cloverfield. I've actually seen Cloverfield, and I'd say that this is as good or better. I suppose the main standout for me was how surprisingly good the kids' acting was.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

It Follows - great

Still Alice - good

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2185  Edited By Zevvion

Fast & Furious 7 - (5/5)
Goddamn if this movie wasn't as fantastic as it was ridiculous and dumb. I loved pretty much every second of it. It made me think they out-Expendabled the Expendables in terms of ridiculous spectacle and heart. Especially going into the movie knowing Paul Walker died and they used his brothers and CGI to finish the remaining scenes. It was apparent which scenes it were due to the camera not focusing on O'Connor's face at all, but it still worked well. The final scene... man. I really appreciated that tribute to Paul Walker and the significance thereof. Totally breaking the fourth wall, and it was admittedly heavy handed, but I didn't care. I had tears in my eyes. I thought they handled it superbly. Couldn't have been better. Then afterwards reading the movie originally had a different ending (obviously) and they changed it for him. Seeing Vin's speeches accepting certain awards on Walker's behalf and introducing the screening to some fans... it just all made this one of the most memorable movies I've ever watched. I've never been so bummed that someone died that I didn't know.

I've also gained even more respect for Vin Diesel than I already had. Just leaving these here. All of them are well worth watching if you're prepared to get a sore throat.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Speed Racer - 5/5

Man, what a fun movie. Just a good goddamn time.

betaband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

8/10

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2188  Edited By BeachThunder

Silence of the Lambs 4/5

A very good movie, especially the Hannibal character himself. The acting of the other characters was hit or miss though, particularly some weird fake accents. There were definitely some great creepy/disturbing/tense moments.

Maybe I'll check out the other Hannibal movies at some point.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avengers: Age of Ultron 5/5

It's fucking awesome.

Vegeta187x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last movie I watched was "It Follows." As a horror movie, I'd rate it a 7.5/10. It has a fairly interesting concept, and the idea of said concept was fairly haunting and unsettling. I don't want to reveal anything...if you like horror movies, you should definitely watch it. It doesn't get a higher rating, because I feel that the concept was not fully realized and they played fast and loose with the "mechanics" of the "entity." Horror elements aside, the movie was absolutely beautiful, with a great sense of style. The cinematography was very well done, and each scene felt like it was put together with a certain amount of care and love. I'm a huge fan of the "long shot," where the actor or actress does not have the benefit of quick cuts and has to embody the scene for long periods of time. I don't think it brings anything necessary to the movie, but I feel that it draws you in to the events that are unfolding on screen much more effectively.

And it sounds like I'm some pretentious film critic dick. I'm not. I just like typing.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Return of the Jedi. Not bad. I fell asleep around the time where Luke meets Yoda But I went back and watched the rest and it was neat.

Tyrrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There will be spoilers. You've been warned.

Interstellar - 2.5 wtf problems/5

The movie is worth a watch, but it's not nearly as good as I was hoping. I wasn't super hyped, but judging from the previews, it just looked like it was going to be a bit better than it was. Shoehorning in the human v. human conflict a little ways into the movie was entirely unnecessary. The world ending and humans needing to find a new place to live was enough of a problem for the protagonists to overcome. It didn't need there to be that idiotic betrayal right in the middle just so they could say that the whole thing was essentially a lie. It could have come about in a lesser irritating/time wasting type of way. The ending was also a little meh. It wasn't terrible and I'm glad they didn't end it with him just in the magic black hole, but that part left a lot to be desired. I get that it was supposed to be the "future humans", but they never really explain what they mean. In the one instance, it's him "shaking" the girls hand in the ship, but then we still don't know where the spacetime anomaly came from that allowed us to travel to the other galaxy to begin with.

I could go on and on about the little problems, but in the end, it was still worth a watch. Not terrible and not great. Just painfully average compared to it's obvious potential.

Tyrrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watched interstellar. it was pretty bad.

If some mysterious aliens could drop off a portal that went to a bunch of different habitable planets then you would think they could just save earths climate.

I actually just wrote a little review of this movie somewhat touching on your problem with it. I will say this though. It's not aliens. It was supposed to be humans from the future that put the "portal", as you put it, there for present day humans to use. Yeah, that really doesn't fix a lot of the problems with the movie. Just thought you'd like to know.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@betaband said:

8/10

Soooooo what movie deserved that 8 out 10?

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

The Theory of Everything. Straight 9/10 for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-65f9de71ea580
deactivated-65f9de71ea580

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A Most Violent Year. 8/10.

A solid gangster film without the gangsters.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2197  Edited By BeachThunder

@zolroyce said:

@betaband said:

8/10

Soooooo what movie deserved that 8 out 10?

It's an average score for every movie ever created. A pretty generous score, if you ask me...

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Watched "The Babadook" about a week ago and its become one of my favorite horror movies, i love the characters and it has a good sense of dread and some really creepy moments. Saw that its now on Netflix so check it out. 5/5 creepy books

I just watched "What We Do In the Shadows" and that is one of the funniest movies ive seen a long time. Went in knowing nothing and expecting horror and was pleasantly surprised to find it to be a horror-ish comedy. 5/5 vampires

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2199  Edited By ShaggE

Friday the 13th Part 6: Jason Lives: 7/10

F13 has never been my favorite horror franchise. As I've made absolutely no secret about, I'm a Freddy guy. But hey, Jason's great. I just don't much care for most of his movies compared to his contemporaries.

Jason Lives is a joy, though. It treads dangerously on the side of slapstick comedy, but it works. After all, you don't go into the sixth installment of a wildly popular horror franchise expecting to still be scary. Even though Jason has only been the killer in four of those six, he's still a pop culture icon by that point. Not exactly nightmare fuel. So you go for laughs, and Jason Lives earns them. I'm not calling it "comedy of the year" by any means, but it reliably gets some out-loud chuckles out of me every time. I have to dock some points, though... as a slasher it's not great, and the acting is miserable. Not that one should expect good acting, but at least put some effort into it.

(the star of the show is the little kid with the "We're dead meat" line. His facial reaction to his friend's "So, what were you going to be when you grew up?" is really, really funny. I have no idea what, if anything, he's been in since then, but he clearly had a bright future in comedy.)

Linkachu95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Furious 7 and I would rate it 6/7. It was a great dumb action film with some spectacular over the top moments.