Rate the last movie you watched.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Avengers: Age of Ultron. I'd give it a 4/5. Not as good as the first, but still pretty fun, and it headed in a couple of very unexpected directions, which was nice.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

The Warriors. I gave it an 8 on IMDB. It definitely held up over the last 35 years and had a really cool style to it.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Chappie: Man. I'd heard this movie was disappointing, but I wasn't expecting it to be this bad. Aside from the neat robot designs and maybe the car theft sequence, I can't think of a single thing that works. It's like Blomkamp just lifted the concepts from RoboCop and Short Circuit and didn't care that they actually didn't blend that well. The characters are thoroughly unlikable, the action scenes are pretty bland and the dialogue is just embarrasing. Why do Ninja and Yolandi from Die Antwoord play themselves? It's super-distracting. It's kinda puzzling to me that they bothered casting A-listers like Sigourney Weaver and Hugh Jackman, since neither of them get much screen time and their characters are completely one-dimensional.

1/5. I don't think I want Blomkamp to make the next Alien movie anymore. :(

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The Visit. 3/5

It was alright. I expected the absolute worst given how much I hate found footage films and M. Night Shyamalan's recent batch of dissapointments. It helped that I went in not knowing what to expect, much like the movie The Guest.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Space Jam 2/5

I never watched this back when it was out. For some reason, I felt like watching it though. There's certainly some funny stuff, but also a lot of garbage and cringe moments. I suppose it's more or less what I was expecting though...

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Circle 4/5

For most people, this is definitely not a 4-star movie, but it's completely up my alley. It's very much in the same vein as Saw or Cube (or the Zero Escape series): a bunch of random-ish people wake up in a life-or-death situation. In Circle, the basic premise is that there are 50 people in a room and every 2 minutes one of them dies.

Like I said, I really dig this kind of thing; a lot of the movie feels fairly flimsy though, especially the world-building and the characters' reactions to various things (or lack thereof).

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2407  Edited By Christoffer

Interstellar

2/5

I don't really like Chris Nolan's direction for some reason. He always seems to have some great ideas, beautiful cinematography, and awesome actors. But the films comes off as dull and pretentious to me. And I even love Bergman and Fellini. What the hell. Nolan could do with more humor.

"Once you're a parent, you're always a ghost to your children" is the best message this movie has (incredible even)

TheWyotee93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I just got around to watching There Will Be Blood on Netflix. Not much to say besides it was fantastic. 5/5. I drink your milkshake!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Beasts of No Nation - 5/5

Maybe the best movie I've seen all year.

LtTibbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Saw Crimson Peaks today 4/5 Guillermo del Torro movies have such great visuals I really enjoy the man's work.

ninnanuam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Saw Top Five

Chris Rock was OK. the story was OK liked the scenes where he is hanging with his old crew, Tracy Morgan, Leslie Jones... Those were probably the best scenes.

Ends a bit meh

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@lttibbles: I saw it last night and agree. Looks fantastic. 4/5 from me as well.

I saw The Martian the week before and that's a 3/5 for me. Also a good looking movie, but not that exciting as surviving on Mars could've been.

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

The Rock

Wow. That did not work for me at all. Sure, Nic Cage, Connery and Ed Harris had their moments, but everything else was just pretty damn weak.

Standing one foot in dumb action movie, one in Tom Clancy-esque thriller, but unable to deliver on either. I'd try and elaborate more on my feelings, but I've damn near forgotten most of it.

Friggin' Michael Bay, man. What an asshole.

Two forced racial caricatures out of five.

Colony024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watched Neil Blomkamp's Chappie the other night. It wasn't downright terrible, but I wasn't all that impressed. The robot effects looked great, but what bugged me was that the audience is expected to sympathise with these drug dealing and car-jacking thugs, who really do nothing throughout the movie to redeem themselves. They were selfish assholes when the movie introduced them, and by the end they still were... so remind me why should I feel sad for them? Also, the various attempts at "sci-fi talk & techno-babble" were downright laughable, and the very blatant Vodaphone/Vodacom & Sony product placement got rather obnoxious after a while.

Don't worry about skipping it, would be my verdict.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sicario - ★★★★★

Tense as hell, incredibly shot and Benicio del Toro turns in the most badass hitman character since Breaking Bad's Mike.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Happening 3/5

Just barely a 3/5. I blame Alex and Press X to Not Die for prompting me to watch this. Unlike that guy from Press X to Not Die, I wouldn't call it 'shitty'. I might call it 'forgettable' though.

My biggest gripe would be Mark Wahlberg's half-assed acting. I'm sure that most of the actors in Press X to Not Die could do a better acting job than he did...

silentflare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Intern 3/5

Maybe it was because my expectations were very low, but this movie was alot better than i expected, still nothing to write about, it was pretty average.

Nime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The Martian 5/5

I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. I thought it had good pacing and a solid mix of drama with lighter moments. I was a bit worried it'd be a bit too over the top with CATASTROPHIC SPACE DRAMA or something but it wasn't that way at all.

j4yk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beast of No Nation 5/5 great movie,

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Tunnel 4/5

A very Australian horror movie, somewhat in the same vein as REC. Definitely better than I was expecting.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Crimson Peak 3/5. It's not bad, but I was expecting more of a 'bad house' or evil spirits and trapped people movie, than what was on screen. I blame the marketing for making it look like an evil house / evil spirits sort of movie.

Oprahtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It Follows 4/5

great cinematography, very clever and the scary parts were very tense. felt more like a dream then a movie.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beasts of No Nation 4/5

Idris Elba was good but the kid was amazing. That final scene will stay with me.

I hope he gets an Oscar nom.

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Hotel Transylvania 2: has one really well written character in a awful movie, i enjoyed the first one however this was pretty bad. the plot was basically the episode of the Simpsons where homer thought Bart was gay where they swapped references to being gay or masculinity to being a monster. 5 angry bats out of 10

Dornath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saw Bridge of Spies last night. It was.... pretty good. I'd give it a 3.5/5

A little over-long, some strange pacing issues, but still a really good story and an interesting look at an important aspect of the Cold War (prisoner exchange). I was a little troubled with the lack of story subtlety in a movie about spies, but I forgave it because it did what it was doing really well - just a little obvious in how it went about.

It felt a little weird how patriotic the movie was though. The whole movie was super pro-american, which felt like a weird viewpoint to take in a modern film about the Cold War. Is the USSR still heavily demonized in the USA?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beasts of No Nation 4/5

Not really much to say about it apart from 'war never changes'.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saw this little gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7gIpuIVE3k

Far better than that piece of shit Troll 2, even a bit better than The Room and Birdemic I would say. Still doesn't beat Howling 2 when it comes to 'so bad they're good' movies, but it's up there.

MOTHER SUPERIOR! ha ha ha ha....

Also saw Werner Herzogs great remake of Nosferatu. Not quite as scary as the original, but man Klaus Kinski is still just an incredible presence and the story is much better than the original Dracula, focusing more on the ultimate victim, Lucy, and her relationship with Dracula than it does the men of the story. It even casts Val Helsing as a bumbling idiot which is kind of amuzing. Still like Coppolas version the best though.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@civid said:

Also saw Werner Herzogs great remake of Nosferatu. Not quite as scary as the original, but man Klaus Kinski is still just an incredible presence and the story is much better than the original Dracula, focusing more on the ultimate victim, Lucy, and her relationship with Dracula than it does the men of the story. It even casts Val Helsing as a bumbling idiot which is kind of amuzing. Still like Coppolas version the best though.

The way Kinski acts with his hands in that movie is amazing.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@svenzon said:
@civid said:

I bought the recent BFI box set of Herzog's films, and I'm really looking forward to this one. I've been trying to get my girlfriend to watch it with me but she thinks she'll be too scared by it (the original Nosferatu freaks her out).

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

Jurassic World

Boo!

It reminded me of that daft Robocop reboot. Whenever it touched on the original film, or played a theme from it's soundtrack, I winced and thought "You didn't deserve that."

And that's about all I can think to say, despite having credits roll not 10 minutes ago. Came and went leaving little impression.

Do kids like this kind of thing? The first film was amazing when I saw it in 199. Captured both the awe and imagination, along with being scary, funny and heartfelt. I'd hesitate to call it a rose tinted glasses thing, as I had watched it just the other month and it still impressed me to no end.

This didn't go much beyond being a long expanse of aimless rambling that falls into noise and chaos slathered in unreal looking computer graphics.

2 conversations between dinosaurs out of 5

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2431  Edited By OurSin_360

Mad Max: fury road

7/10

it was alright

zeroyaoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Intruders

Besides the intro making the twist a little too obvious, the acting, how the family interacts , and the way it's all explained/resolved in the end pretty much ruined it.

3/10

Picky_Bugger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Con Air

5/5 Masterpiece

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Terminator Genesis.

I watched it on a plane and it made time move fast so 10/10.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2435  Edited By BrainScratch

Decided to hop in on the "Back To The Future Day" bandwagon and re-watched Back To The Future Part II. Still a nice movie: 7/10

I also have other ratings on my IMDB, be careful, I tend to give unexpected low ratings in some cases.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@svenzon said:
@civid said:

I bought the recent BFI box set of Herzog's films, and I'm really looking forward to this one. I've been trying to get my girlfriend to watch it with me but she thinks she'll be too scared by it (the original Nosferatu freaks her out).

Nosferatu is great, but Fitzcarraldo is my favorite of the Herozg/Kinski movies. I think Cobra Verde is pretty underrated. The narrative is a bit of a mess, but the cinematography is mindblowing.

zeroyaoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnymyko: I've never seen any of the BTTF movies. Might check them out now that it's part of prime stream.

ps: You weren't joking about the low scores. :P

frustratedlnc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crimson Peak - 6/10. Looks real pretty, competently acted. Just kind of boring and the story never really goes anywhere.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeroyaoi: If you like light-hearted sci-fi movies that don't take themselves too seriously, you'll enjoy them, specially the first two (the third is nice but the weakest of the trilogy). The cgi hasn't aged well on some parts and some of the acting is a bit campy for today's standards, but they're still really fun movies to watch and it's cool to see how they imagined things back then.

As for my ratings, yeah, I am quite critical about movies.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Martian - 4/5

I really enjoyed it. Not as much detail as the book obviously, but still a fun movie regardless. Also, I think Damon was perfect for the role.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2441  Edited By thomasnash

@svenzon said:
@thomasnash said:
@svenzon said:
@civid said:

Nosferatu is great, but Fitzcarraldo is my favorite of the Herozg/Kinski movies. I think Cobra Verde is pretty underrated. The narrative is a bit of a mess, but the cinematography is mindblowing.

Yeah, that doesn't surprise me. I'm mostly interested in Nosferatu for the rat swarm to be honest! Fitzcarraldo is great, but honestly I preferred Aguirre - totally crap production values aside.

I've got a lot of films still to watch, but so far my favourites have been Lessons in Darkness and Fata Morgana...

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Toxic Avenger 4/5

I had never watched a Troma movie before, and I thought this would be a good place to start. Well, as it turns out, the movie is complete garbage - amazing garbage. I'd say this is a pretty much the epitome of 'so bad it's good'.

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Aguirre: the Wrath of God-4 out of 5.

It was surreal and I really dug the Popol Vuh synth score is certain scenes. In a weird way, it reminded me of Picnic at Hanging Rock with its dream-like quality.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bone Tomahawk: 4/5

Like It Follows, this movie caught me by surprise. A weird mix of horror and western, it had great acting and strange witty writing for how somber the tone was. Also; when shit hits the fan, it is quick, brutal, and when you least expect it to be.

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2445  Edited By personandstuff

Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein: pretty good. Oddly titled in that they actually meet Dracula, the Wolfman and Frankenstien. And Frankenstein is asleep for most of the movie.

Edit: Also, I guess technically they never meet Frankenstein. Only his monster.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Martian - ★★★★

Finally got around to seeing this yesterday. A nice thread of hope throughout this film really highlights the cynicism of the majority of modern blockbusters. Solid performance by Matt Damon with some tense sequences and a fantastically uplifting score.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

I think it was Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation. It was a cool action movie with a some spectacular moments but not much more than that. It was all pretty predictable and with the exception of the underwater scene I was never really on the edge of my seat. For that matter, I was never really surprised at the plot twists that they tried to throw in, except for maybe the very last part. But that was more of a "heh, nice" than a "omg I can't believe that just happened".

All-in-all I'd rate it a 3/5

monkey523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scream 4 - 4/5

Better than I was expecting, for coming 10 years after the (not so great) previous entry. The self-aware moments don't feel hamfisted, even though acknowledging tropes has basically become a trope at this point. I think it's a fun movie. If you liked the other Scream films, I see no reason to skip out on this one.

Ashler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally got around to see Fury Road.

HOLY SHIT

5 out of 5

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fargo 5/5

The last time I watched this must have been 5 or 6 years ago, turns out that I still really love this movie. I'm in such a good mood after watching it; Frances McDormand's character is so adorable. My second favourite Coen movie.

Also, Pia-tahh Store-merrah.