Israel is a trainwreck, not to mention that it was built on human blood

#152 Posted by JoyfullOFrockets (1175 posts) -

1 star, Bulgaria is quite terrible.

#153 Posted by Liberty13Prime (5 posts) -

A+  
FIVE Stars
TEN out of TEN

#154 Posted by damnboyadvance (4054 posts) -

5 stars. Where else do you celebrate your country with fireworks and guns?

#155 Posted by Claude (16251 posts) -

@zudthespud said:

@Claude said:

I love my country and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. 5 fucking Stars for the United States of America.

As someone who has been to America 3 times and observe current affairs in America your enthusiasm baffles me, your country seems messed up. Each to their own I guess.

UK: 4 stars. It's a very good place to live. There are clearly better countries, putting this country on the same level as them would be wrong.

My country is huge. What might suck in the Northwest is fine in the Southeast. What might be fine in the Midwest sucks in the the Northeast. Or vice versa.

#157 Posted by bassman2112 (806 posts) -

Canada - 4 Stars. It used to be 5, but that Conservative majority government is making it nigh impossible to be excited about our future (politically) =(

At least we have gorgeous landscapes and nerdy women (I have at least 10 [cute] female friends who frequent here, Reddit, PSN, Steam, etc)

#158 Posted by Animasta (14460 posts) -

@Claude said:

@zudthespud said:

@Claude said:

I love my country and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. 5 fucking Stars for the United States of America.

As someone who has been to America 3 times and observe current affairs in America your enthusiasm baffles me, your country seems messed up. Each to their own I guess.

UK: 4 stars. It's a very good place to live. There are clearly better countries, putting this country on the same level as them would be wrong.

My country is huge. What might suck in the Northwest is fine in the Southeast. What might be fine in the Midwest sucks in the the Northeast. Or vice versa.

northwest is the best part of this damned country don't even go there

oregon 4 lyfe

#159 Posted by Bakumatsu (336 posts) -

I'm giving 3 stars to Portugal but not far from 2. Things here are not great right now (hum maybe they never weren't). But it could be worse right? RIGHT??

#160 Posted by evilrazer (479 posts) -

2 stars goes to Ukraine!

#161 Posted by nnotdead (82 posts) -
@Laketown said:

3 stars, it could definitely be better here in America :/

#162 Posted by Cwaff (1259 posts) -

3 stars, It's wet and we have our problems but Northern Ireland's not so bad.

#163 Posted by Bigheart711 (1250 posts) -
@Claude said:

Same reason as Claude!
#164 Posted by Ramone (2931 posts) -

UK gets a five from me

#165 Posted by brute175 (7 posts) -

Zanzibara?

#166 Posted by Skytylz (4015 posts) -
5 Stars 
#167 Edited by FireBurger (1479 posts) -

I, like most people, recognize that the United States has its problems. But, I'd be fucking stupid to think that I don't live in one of the best countries in the world. A lot worse places out there.

#168 Posted by Danteveli (1081 posts) -

I give Poland 4stars. We have some problems but overall we keep it real.

#169 Edited by swamplord666 (1752 posts) -

I'm baffled by the number of UK people who rate the country highly. There are faaaar better places to live. shitty weather, terribly bureaucratic and inefficient, terrible problems with binge drinking, a somewhat lazy work ethic, the women do not compare at all with other countries (I've lived in both Canada and France mind you), the cost of living is damn ridiculous (in south east Sussex at least)... Most people ask me why the hell I chose to come to England :/. Anyway 2/5 stars since the comedy is awesome. Love me mock the week and never mind the buzzcocks.

Edit: also i'm rating this in terms of 1st world countries. because otherwise anyone rating less than 5* would be an asshole including me.

#170 Posted by crusader8463 (14305 posts) -
@Bakumatsu said:

I'm giving 3 stars to Portugal but not far from 2. Things here are not great right now (hum maybe they never weren't). But it could be worse right? RIGHT??

It could always be worse.
#171 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -

4 stars for america. I think we are a pretty stable society, which has got to count from something. But we get tons and tons of shit wrong. However, i do believe many of those things will be righted in the future. Lets start with gay marriage and go from there lol

#172 Posted by Bucketdeth (7981 posts) -
@CL60 said:
@Claude said:

@CL60 said:

@Claude said:

@CL60 said:

@Claude said:

@Bucketdeth said:

Canada, wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

I pretty biased having not lived in Canada. But you know, I think I would fit in well there.

I'm not so sure. Your beard maybe.

Oh man, that sucks. I'm not good enough for Canada.

Well at least your beard is.

Where my beard can go, I go.

I'm not sure I can allow that Mr. Claude. 
Don't worry Uncle Claude, I can sneak you into Labrador, no even knows it exists.
#173 Posted by DuskVamp (679 posts) -

I'll give Wales 3 stars. Some nice areas, some not so nice, but I think every country is the same. Weather could be better.

#174 Posted by shinigami420 (640 posts) -

@Claude said:

@zudthespud said:

@Claude said:

America is huge and there is places worse then other but the facts speak for themself

if you would compare a country like America or Russia to a country like japan it would be night and day (speaking of crime and education)

America is a decent country and is far better than many others but there is still plenty of countries that do thing better

for fun lets compare America to Japan

differences in crime rates between american and japan

One major factor are the strict gun-control laws in Japan. By pure logic, you can't have very many crimes in which guns are used if people don't have the guns to use in the crimes. Part of the difference is also due to cultural differences between Japan and the U.S. There is much greater emphasis on the group in Japan, and on not standing out or doing anything which will bring dishonor to the family or other social unit.

This is all extremely significant considering just how tightly packed the Japanese population is. It would seem that the population density would lead to a very high crime rate, but that is not what happens in Japan. This helps to show that crime, especially violent crime, is dependent on external factors (the lack of availability of guns) and cultural factors (emphasis on honor and group harmony.) In the U.S., with the incredible ease of obtaining weapons and the emphasis on people "doing their own thing," a much higher level of violent crime should not be a surprise.

Another factor that may play a large part in the lower crime level in Japan is the use of their police forces. There are kobans, (fairly small police stations) in profusion in Japanese cities. The police there seem to work much more closely with the community than in the U.S. where there is a "us vs. them" mentality on the part of many communities and even some police forces.

Japan does have their own version of the Mafia, called the yakuza. There are three major syndicates in Japan which controls over 1,600 gangs and 42,000 gangsters. Although they engage in illegal activities similar to the Mafia they are more involved in supporting "traditional" Japanese virtues and are sometimes involved with right-wing groups. They also tend to cause the crime rate to actually be lower since they "discourage" criminals from operating independently or in small groups.

From the book Yakuza: Japan's Criminal Underworld, we find out that in 1998 only 22 people were killed in Japan by firearms. In the same year, 65,708 were killed in the U.S. Since the U.S. population is about 2 ½ times the size of Japan's, then theoretically there should have been 55 people killed in the U.S. instead of 65.708,

Japan has crime but it is of a much less violent nature than crime in the U.S. This makes Japan a much safer place to live then in the average American city. A great deal of this difference is related to the strict gun-control laws in japan, unlike the U.S. where special-interest groups promote the idea that people have the "right" to whatever kinds of weapons they want in whatever quantity. Rights involve responsibilities and the concept of responsibility is more ingrained in the Japanese culture than it is in the U.S. culture. Guns kill people and it is people who are using the guns; the guns do not act by themselves.

The ease of obtaining guns also automatically causes crimes to be of a much more violent nature in the U.S. then in Japan. In many American cities murders and other crimes involving the use of guns are almost daily occurrences; and this will continue as long as guns are so easily available. It's actually a matter of logic: if you don't have easy access to guns (Japan), then you won't have many people shot and even killed by guns; if you have easy access to guns (U.S.),

The U.S. has one of the highest percentage of its population in jail of any country in the world.

Comparing the U.S. to Japan requires us to take one major item into consideration, and that is population size. Roughly Japan's population is half that of the U.S., so any direct comparisons should multiply any Japanese number by two and then see if the result is significantly different from the U.S. number. I'll be doing that for a variety of statistics

4 Japanese youth are arrested each day for felonies, so we would expect 8 American youth. However, the actual number arrested for serious crimes is some 1640, some 205 times the expected rate!

on an average day 3 pounds of marijuana are seized each day by police in Japan. The U.S. rate is 540 times that theoretically expected! The cocaine seizure rate in the U.S. is 172 times that expected. Drugs lead without any doubt at all to a higher crime rate.

5 Japanese are robbed each day, while 1,491 Americans are robbed. This is some 149 times the expected rate. 5 Japanese are raped each day, while some 254 Americans are raped. This is some 25 times the expected rate. 4 Japanese are murdered each day, 57 Americans, 7 times the expected rate. There can be no doubt whatever that the U.S. has a much, much higher crime rate.

Lets compare Education

Another example of a major problem with American youth is found in the amount of homework done each day. Japanese children do some 2 hours and 4 minutes of homework each day. That would be some 124 minutes; by comparison American children only do 25 minutes of homework a day. In other words Japanese children spend almost 5 times as much time on homework each time as American children.

The book

Japan in the 21st Century: Environment, Economy, and Society, says:

"Japan's educational system produces students who perform far better on international examinations than Americans do, and Japanese students are indisputably among the best in the world in solving mathematical equations. ...Youngsters are well-behaved, studious, and law abiding; Japan's low crime rates are well known and widely envied around the world. But what is even more striking than the lack of crime is the overwhelming civility; graffiti and vandalism are rare, and school sports teams not only bow to each other before a game but also rush over to the opposing team's stand after the game to pay their respects".

"Japan has long respected the importance of education, and as one result 96 percent of all Japanese students progress to senior high school (that is ,beyond compulsory levels) and 45 per cent proceed to tertiary levels, making them among the most highly educated young people in the world." Dimensions of Japanese Society: Gender, Margins and Mainstream, 1999

Japanese students attend school for 243 days, some 30% longer then in the U.S., not counting the time many students spend in juku and studying at home. The school year is also, for all practical purposes, year-round (with some breaks between sessions), and thus avoids the "forgot everything they knew over the summer" problem of American schools.

All that said i America is still better than most countries

Out of the 195 countries in the world i would rank America at a soild 20th place

#175 Edited by Rudeboy217 (1760 posts) -

I will be generous and give America a four.

#176 Posted by Nux (2207 posts) -

Yay America!

#177 Posted by HerbieBug (3838 posts) -

4 stars for Canada.  Good scenery, government is tolerable, people are alright, healthcare is alright, taxes aren't *that* bad (in Alberta).  -1/2 star for godawful weather 5 months out of the year, -1/2 star short term thinking when it comes to architecture; build cheap trash with cheap materials, tear it down and build something else 20 years later.     

#178 Posted by DillonWerner (1521 posts) -
@rudeboy217 said:

I will be generous and give America a four.

#180 Posted by Gumby (229 posts) -

4 Stars for Sweden!
Everything is so damn expensive! : (

#181 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@jkuc316 said:
I'm trying to not be biased, so 3 stars for the Philippines. Awesome people, food and beautiful vacation spots are here, but so are shitty gov't, homelessness, and a bunch of other problems.
Brazil is pratically the same thing(I'm kinda impressed, nobody from Brazil?). We also have ridiculous taxes. If you buy a game for example, it will cost 200R$ and the minimum salary here is 600R$... But i think Brazil has an awesome potential, and i think we will become a better country soon. Also, we have awesome music.
#182 Posted by HerbieBug (3838 posts) -
@tfsteefs said:
@HerbieBug said:
government is tolerable,                                          
lol
In so far as their fumblings have a direct affect on my life, I rate them as somewhat less than aggressively awful, thus "tolerable".  :)
#183 Posted by chronicsmoke (995 posts) -

5 stars,I love 
 america I wouldnt live anywhere else

#184 Posted by Tireyo (6382 posts) -

I honestly couldn't give a rating.

#185 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5750 posts) -

Guatemala:

3/5

There's a lot of corruption, the drug cartels are killing everyone, and there's a lot of poverty and suffering. Still, it's a very pretty country and I'm glad I was born there.

US:
4/5

fuck yeah USA

#186 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3151 posts) -

United States. Greedy corporate country where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Doctors get an iota of $60,000 a year while Wall Street fuckers get, like, million bucks. The beauty of the human mind doesn't equal deserving reward, for reward is only given to those that are heartless and snide.

I give it two stars because it isn't North Korea.

#187 Posted by Famov (768 posts) -

I give the United States of America a 5 because a score of 6+ isn't an option.

#188 Posted by aurahack (2228 posts) -

4/5 for Canada. You can be whoever you want to be here and do whatever you want to do and never, ever be judged for it. Health care, proper education and sights to see from one coast to the other. We're also the second biggest country in the world. Which is rad. 

That said, 4/5 because a) Quebec is a part of us and I, sadly, am forced to live in it and b) we get the short end of the stick when it comes to internet speeds, bandwidth and distribution.

#189 Posted by Demokk (142 posts) -

1 star - Mexico.

I would have given it 2 stars for its beautiful beaches, tolerable weather and kinda tasty food; but instead I chose to judge it as a nation. And as a nation all that it can offer is mediocre or even worse. 

Unbelievably corrupt government, ignorant people by choice, religious fanaticism and naiveness; stereotyped and divided; lazy people, incredibly insecure, education at its weakest, poor public services; and I could go on and on...  

Maybe because of this I will be able to appreciate a much better country If I hopefully manage to move out from here.

#190 Posted by Example1013 (4749 posts) -

10 stars. USA USA USA

#191 Posted by zudthespud (3276 posts) -

@Claude said:

@zudthespud said:

@Claude said:

While I appreciate that, if your country sucks somewhere it still sucks. I'm sure there are parts of Brazil that are wonderful places to live, it doesn't change the fact so many people are in poverty there.

Like I said, I've been to America a few times and it's a really nice place to be, but you don't need to be a wizard to know that a country that does things like charge a girl with homicide for having a miscarriage is fucked up.

#192 Posted by Deathmachine117 (377 posts) -

5 Stars - Ireland because ...... guinness.

#193 Posted by leebmx (1853 posts) -

This thread says it all....Most of the Yanks give their country 5 stars and all the English moan and give 3 stars. Says alot about the Patriotism/Mentality/Realism of the 2 nations.

#194 Posted by leebmx (1853 posts) -
@Skytylz said:
5 Stars 
You live on the Moon?
#196 Posted by sreya92 (193 posts) -

As bad as people say the United States is, it's still one of the best damn places you can live. I mean damn look at life in most African countries, Middle Eastern countries, China, and shit even Europe's got some pretty bad problems in Greece. That said, the U.S. is on the decline which is why I plan on moving to Australia in the near future. Haha it's the one country that I feel a lot of people forget is there. Just chillin and takin life easy

#197 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

Norway is pretty badass, nothing to worry about here.

5 Stars.

#198 Edited by Fajita_Jim (1463 posts) -

USA: 3 stars.
Yeah I certainly see class warfare boiling up in the next generation or so if things keep going like this. We've entered a new gilded age, and the railroad barons now wear corporate suits.

#199 Posted by EuanDewar (4509 posts) -

@HandsomeDead said:

England - 2/5: Falling apart at the seams. I can't live here.

Yep, spot on. Every single person I know who has occasionally rational thoughts wants the fuck out of this place.

#200 Posted by danimal_furry (1453 posts) -

I am from the USA and I voted 4 stars. My reasoning is as follows: 
Pluses 
1. The US is built on the freedoms that every human wishes to have. 
2. There is not supposed to be a limit in this nation as to how far a person can reach. Your dreams (legally - both by moral and realistic standards) can be reached. 
3. We take a lot of crap from the rest of the world, but we are the ones everyone calls on when there is trouble. Then we take the crap for answering that call. Rinse. Repeat. 

Negatives 
1. Our freedoms allow people to bring oppressive attitudes to every conversation. 
2. We have a celebrity culture, where people are worshipped despite a lack of ability. 
3. We are moving away from the public actually having a voice in how the nation is run. 

Overall, I say the USA is tits. The pluses far outweigh the negatives. But there is work to be done. There always will be. We will never be perfect, no matter who you ask. That is a realistic view. People who give their nation a perfect score are dillusional. When one feels his nation is perfect, he only sets that nation up for failure.