Rather dissapointed in my Colts last night

Khaan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By Khaan

I've been a  huge fan of the Indianapolis Colts since Payton Manning came to town.  The reason I followed him there was my love of the University of Tennessee football team in college.   Last nights game showed me something that I haven't wanted to admit for awhile.   Our entire offense is going to have to be rebuilt.   Getting beyond the excuses about injuries with half our receivers sidelined, and our all pro Tight End.   It's painfully obvious that every other team is willing to shell out big bucks to make championship runs now.   I see this Jets team with all the new talent they have that wasn't there last year is just the latest example of that.  I can't remember the last all star the Colts had that was drafted with the team.    I'm sad that my Colts lost, but hopefully this is the first step for their organization to realize that having Manning is something they will not be able to always count on.   They need to give him all the tools to win.   Right now he's playing with an average offense, and for a Colts fan that's a complete 180 degree turn from where we used to be the best of the best when it came to offensive production.    
Khaan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Khaan

I've been a  huge fan of the Indianapolis Colts since Payton Manning came to town.  The reason I followed him there was my love of the University of Tennessee football team in college.   Last nights game showed me something that I haven't wanted to admit for awhile.   Our entire offense is going to have to be rebuilt.   Getting beyond the excuses about injuries with half our receivers sidelined, and our all pro Tight End.   It's painfully obvious that every other team is willing to shell out big bucks to make championship runs now.   I see this Jets team with all the new talent they have that wasn't there last year is just the latest example of that.  I can't remember the last all star the Colts had that was drafted with the team.    I'm sad that my Colts lost, but hopefully this is the first step for their organization to realize that having Manning is something they will not be able to always count on.   They need to give him all the tools to win.   Right now he's playing with an average offense, and for a Colts fan that's a complete 180 degree turn from where we used to be the best of the best when it came to offensive production.    
Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By Atlas

I'm from the UK and didn't want to stay up late last night so I only just finished watching it, and I'm sick as a parrot right now. I don't think rebuilding the offense is the issue. Manning was great tonight, and playing against a very tough defence without a full compliment of offensive starters the offence couldn't have done much better, although Wayne only having one catch for a single yard is really disappointing. The problem is the defence. Amongst our LBs and DBs, only Brackett and Bethea started on day one against the Texans; everyone else was a new jack. And that trickles down to special teams as well, which is why we had no name free agents, which led to two really stupid plays (Smith running into the kicker and then allowing Cromartie to run the kick back to midfield with less than a minute left). The run defence was humiliated allowing that ten minute drive and the pass defence, which had done well not to be lit up early in the game, failed where we needed them most, allowing Sanchez to march down the field and get into easy field goal range. I agree that we haven't exactly been hitting it out of the park with our early round draft picks - Tony Ugoh was drafted to replace Tarik Glenn and was a complete bust, Donald Brown has been really poor when he's had to fill Addai's boots, and Jerry Hughes had been a non-factor for the defence all year - but match us up against anybody man to man and this is still one of the most talented teams in football. Splashing out on big free agent pickups is not the Colts style; we will be content to build through the draft, knowing that there are key areas - offensive line and secondary in particular - where we really need to improve. To be honest, we should be grateful we even got a playoff game; we were so nearly out of it a few weeks ago when the Jags were hot and Peyton was throwing all those interceptions. Still, we did make the playoffs, and we blew it, so I can't help but be extremely disappointed.

Oh, and welcome to Giant Bomb! Colts in SB46 baby!

cjmabry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By cjmabry

As a Titans fan, take this with a grain of salt. I think your Defense is more of a problem. Maybe it was because of all of the injuries, but your run D is horrid, and while I didn't get to watch most of the game, it seems like you couldn't get the Jets off the field, which you HAVE to do. Peyton can be an all-star with almost any personal, in fact I believe he makes receivers. He's probably the smartest, hard-working player in the NFL, and it shows with the number of no-name guys he turns into good players (Garcon, Gonzalez, Blair White, Jacob Tamme). But when he has the ball 5 minutes in a half, you've got no chance. You need to strengthen your line, maybe improve here and there on offense, but really need to work on that D.  

Also, what is Jim Caldwell thinking? First, on 3rd and 5, he calls a rollout (Ummm, it's Peyton Manning?), is forced to kick the field goal, then stops the clock for the Jets when they were driving, which was one  of the dumbest things I've seen. Not too sure what was going on in his head.

Go Titans haha.

tooPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By tooPrime

I would not feel that bad about it.  I know you were hoping they could pull something and get hot in the playoffs but this is by far the worst and most injured Colts team I've seen in years.  Expectations are always high if Payton Manning is on your team, but it was a miracle this team got to the playoffs.  Hope for better health in 2011, the Colts will be fine until Payton Manning retires.  Then you're screwed.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By shadows_kill

I've been a colts fan all my life and I got to say our offence is still great. With majority of our team gone and having a really tough schedule and STILL making the playoffs is a great year. What we need to build upon is A) A better defensive line. We have strong individuals but not for the whole line. It shows if we stop the run we dominate a game. B) Draft a new promising QB. We have a amazing QB but what if Manning gets hurt? We have a terrible back up that we can't rely on. Even our 3rd string Mcafee our punter is better! Overall I call it a solid year. 

For the rest of the playoffs it would be nice to see Atlanta make it to the Super Bowl or the Chiefs.

Avatar image for jackbauerctu225
JackBauerCTU225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By JackBauerCTU225

Don't worry man Colts should still be the 1st team to win a Superbowl in their home stadium, which is next year. As a Saints fan I am really depressed... although winning the Superbowl was unbelievable nothing can compare. but in typical Saints fashion go loose on the road opening round to the Seahawks. Seatlle fans congrats yall deserved it much more than we did. Lynch's run was absurd. absurd that we couldnt stop him, and the talent he showed. 

there is always next year those words come back year after year from saints fans. last year was incredible hopefully we will make it back to the big dance soon 
WHO DAT!!

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By ninjakiller
@Khaan:
Does it taste bitter?  Does it? 
Does it taste bitter?  Does it? 
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By Bruce

I think you should just be happy that you're not a Chiefs fan; they got fucking hammered.

bearshamanbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By bearshamanbro

Colts fan checking in here. I was amazed the Colt hung in there as long as they did this year. The main thing they need to do is figure out how to keep their guys healthy. Maybe it's a byproduct of their small size/speed defense but these guys just don't hold up. It seems like every year they've got someone else out injured and they're in the playoffs playing with 2nd and 3rd string backups at numerous vital positions. Besides the Chargers game, they were in every single game this year and almost beat the Patriots with a lot of players out. They are always in the hunt with Manning, but a few things they need to do IMO. One, upgrade the o-line. They've built that line with undrafted players and low draft picks for years, and subsequently it's been years since they had a dangerous running game. They need to bolster that line up to get the play-action back, and keep Manning's arm from quickly aging. Without the running game being  dangerous, teams just play the pass and we can't make them pay. Two, rework the receiving corps and get some durability there. Lastly, I just wonder if they need to change things up. The blueprint to beat the Colts has been figured out for years and I don't think it'd hurt to try and mix things up and throw some wrinkles in there. Also, coaching has got to be questioned. The challenge on the first punt and the last time out were pretty hair-brained.

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By audiosnag

The theme of the day seemed to be upsets and lack of defense. D seemed pretty much absent in both the Ravens/Saints game and the Colts/Jets game.
All i know is some people made themselves an ass ton of cash that day.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TwoOneFive

your colts? that sounds so gay dude