#1 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

He was a man who can never be replaced in this world.

To the man who helped inspire me to write.

May his memories live on through the ages, either through his own words or his own books! Rest in peace Bradbury, rest in peace.

#2 Posted by Whampire (58 posts) -

His influence and importance can't be overstated.

#3 Posted by Veektarius (5012 posts) -

Not my favorite scifi writer, but Fahrenheit 451 is one of the all-time greats.

#4 Posted by Sdoots (205 posts) -

FUCK

#5 Posted by coaxmetal (1657 posts) -

yeah, rip

#6 Edited by NegativeCero (3039 posts) -

Maybe write about what he did. I'll be honest, I had to google him to find out.

RIP.

#7 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4858 posts) -

I don't know who this person is.

#8 Posted by Gabriel (4081 posts) -

@GunslingerPanda said:

I don't know who this person is.

Did you go to High School?

#9 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4858 posts) -

@Gabriel said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

I don't know who this person is.

Did you go to High School?

Yes. Next question!

#10 Posted by Village_Guy (2661 posts) -

Who?

Sorry, but still, rest in peace.

#11 Posted by BrockNRolla (1694 posts) -

@NegativeCero said:

Maybe write about what he did. I'll be honest, I had to google him to find out.

RIP.

That is extremely depressing. I hope you're young.

#12 Posted by BrockNRolla (1694 posts) -

@GunslingerPanda said:

@Gabriel said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

I don't know who this person is.

Did you go to High School?

Yes. Next question!

Are you from the US?

#13 Posted by Kierkegaard (603 posts) -

Young people make me sad. I'll read some Bradbury today in memoriam.

#14 Edited by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@BrockNRolla said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

@Gabriel said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

I don't know who this person is.

Did you go to High School?

Yes. Next question!

Are you from the US?

I never read any of his stuff in HS either, I got out 3 years ago.

I've since read Fahrenheit, so whatevs, but yah.

also sucks but he was pretty dang old so at least he lived a full life

#15 Posted by NegativeCero (3039 posts) -

@BrockNRolla said:

@NegativeCero said:

Maybe write about what he did. I'll be honest, I had to google him to find out.

RIP.

That is extremely depressing. I hope you're young.

19. I suppose I'll add him to my "to read" list on Goodreads.

#16 Edited by CornBREDX (5981 posts) -

It's sad when I see people don't know who he is. Being that he wrote some of the best Sci Fi books and stories I thought he'd be more recognizable a name, but then again there aren't many current movies about his work. Whatever, it just makes me feel old. The guy was a great writer, definitely one of my early inspirations (I kind of copied his collection "The Illustrated Man" idea for a book I wrote when I was 16).

Ya. Good man- he can RIP now.

#17 Posted by BrockNRolla (1694 posts) -

@NegativeCero said:

@BrockNRolla said:

@NegativeCero said:

Maybe write about what he did. I'll be honest, I had to google him to find out.

RIP.

That is extremely depressing. I hope you're young.

19. I suppose I'll add him to my "to read" list on Goodreads.

You absolutely should. I don't know when Fahrenheit 451 stopped being mandatory reading, but I thought it was a transformative experience. It's the best argument I've ever read for why we need books in our society.

#18 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

Probably one of the most influential writers of our time. RIP

#19 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

RIP

I like a lot of his short stories.

#20 Posted by BrockNRolla (1694 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@BrockNRolla said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

@Gabriel said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

I don't know who this person is.

Did you go to High School?

Yes. Next question!

Are you from the US?

I never read any of his stuff in HS either, I got out 3 years ago.

I've since read Fahrenheit, so whatevs, but yah.

also sucks but he was pretty dang old so at least he lived a full life

That's troubling. I don't know what they replaced him with on HS curriculums, but Fahrenheit was easily my favorite book in HS. I hope they replaced him with something worth while.

#21 Edited by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@BrockNRolla said:

@Animasta said:

@BrockNRolla said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

@Gabriel said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

I don't know who this person is.

Did you go to High School?

Yes. Next question!

Are you from the US?

I never read any of his stuff in HS either, I got out 3 years ago.

I've since read Fahrenheit, so whatevs, but yah.

also sucks but he was pretty dang old so at least he lived a full life

That's troubling. I don't know what they replaced him with on HS curriculums, but Fahrenheit was easily my favorite book in HS. I hope they replaced him with something worth while.

The only books I remember reading were Things Fall Apart (I hate that book so much) and Great Gatsby, which I still catch up on (love it so much). It's also possible that it's just curriculum for my school district.

#22 Posted by DillonWerner (1520 posts) -

Absolutely one of my all time favorite writers, Fahrenheit 451 was a masterpiece and I love Something Wicked This Way Comes.

He will be dearly missed, RIP.

#23 Edited by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

The Illustrated Man is proof enough of his great writing. Gonna miss him. RIP.

#24 Posted by ajamafalous (12147 posts) -
@BrockNRolla said:

@Animasta said:

@BrockNRolla said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

@Gabriel said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

I don't know who this person is.

Did you go to High School?

Yes. Next question!

Are you from the US?

I never read any of his stuff in HS either, I got out 3 years ago.

I've since read Fahrenheit, so whatevs, but yah.

also sucks but he was pretty dang old so at least he lived a full life

That's troubling. I don't know what they replaced him with on HS curriculums, but Fahrenheit was easily my favorite book in HS. I hope they replaced him with something worth while.

He was still on mine; I'm 21.
#25 Edited by GunslingerPanda (4858 posts) -

@BrockNRolla said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

@Gabriel said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

I don't know who this person is.

Did you go to High School?

Yes. Next question!

Are you from the US?

No!

Also I'm 24.

#26 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

I don't know if I remember correctly but they make you read the illustrated Man in honors classes sophomore year in my high school. Anyway RIP, he lived a long life that people will remember him by and that's all you can really hope for in the end along with the love of family.

#27 Posted by Dourin (234 posts) -

For what it's worth, I graduated high school in 2004 and I have never heard of this guy either. Seems his work being a part of the curriculum is hit or miss. That said, I will also definitely try to get around to reading some of his work.

#28 Posted by demonknightinuyasha (476 posts) -

I didn't even realize he was still alive >_>;;;; RIP scifi overlord duder

Online
#29 Posted by fox01313 (5089 posts) -

Too bad to hear that as I've always enjoyed reading his work & especially loved October Country, Halloween Tree & Something Wicked this Way Comes (book and the film). RIP Ray Bradbury.

#30 Posted by GalacticGravy (550 posts) -

I didn't read 451 in high school, so I read it only a month ago. I was blown away. Here is my favorite section of the whole book. I really hope everyone gets it and doesn't think it's racist. Because that's not the point at all, and it's so important to understand that:

“Now let’s take up the minorities in our civilization, shall we? Bigger the population, the more minorities. Don’t step on the toes of the dog-lovers, the cat-lovers, doctors, lawyers, merchants, chiefs, Mormons, Baptists, Unitarians, second-generation Chinese, Swedes, Italians, Germans, Texans, Brooklynites, Irishmen, people from Oregon or Mexico. The people in this book, this play, this TV serial are not meant to represent any actual painters, cartographers, mechanics anywhere. The bigger your market, Montag, the less you handle controversy, remember that! All the minor minor minorities with their navels to be kept clean. Authors, full of evil thoughts, lock up your typewriters. They did. Magazines became a nice blend of vanilla tapioca. Books, so the damned snobbish critics said, were dishwater. No wonder books stopped selling, the critics said. But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive. And the three-dimensional sex-magazines, of course. There you have it, Montag. It didn’t come from the Government down. There was no dictum, no declaration, no censorship, to start with, no! Technology, mass exploitation, and minority pressure carried the trick, thank God. Today, thanks to them, you can stay happy all the time, you are allowed to read comics, the good old confessions, or trade journals.”

#31 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@BoogieWithStu said:

I didn't read 451 in high school, so I read it only a month ago. I was blown away. Here is my favorite section of the whole book. I really hope everyone gets it and doesn't think it's racist. Because that's not the point at all, and it's so important to understand that:

“Now let’s take up the minorities in our civilization, shall we? Bigger the population, the more minorities. Don’t step on the toes of the dog-lovers, the cat-lovers, doctors, lawyers, merchants, chiefs, Mormons, Baptists, Unitarians, second-generation Chinese, Swedes, Italians, Germans, Texans, Brooklynites, Irishmen, people from Oregon or Mexico. The people in this book, this play, this TV serial are not meant to represent any actual painters, cartographers, mechanics anywhere. The bigger your market, Montag, the less you handle controversy, remember that! All the minor minor minorities with their navels to be kept clean. Authors, full of evil thoughts, lock up your typewriters. They did. Magazines became a nice blend of vanilla tapioca. Books, so the damned snobbish critics said, were dishwater. No wonder books stopped selling, the critics said. But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive. And the three-dimensional sex-magazines, of course. There you have it, Montag. It didn’t come from the Government down. There was no dictum, no declaration, no censorship, to start with, no! Technology, mass exploitation, and minority pressure carried the trick, thank God. Today, thanks to them, you can stay happy all the time, you are allowed to read comics, the good old confessions, or trade journals.”

Funny thing is... there is an official comic book adaption of Fahrenheit 451... Ray Bradbury even supported it! Also, even though I am somewhat against it because the book is so classic. I will say that I do like it and it is a very faithful adaption.

#32 Posted by Shindiggah (350 posts) -

I used to use his works for Speech competitions in Prose readings.

He truly was a glorious writer.

#33 Posted by oraknabo (1514 posts) -

This man was so important to my life I can't even begin to go into it. What a completely amazing life he had though.

#34 Edited by ManU_Fan10ne (662 posts) -

@BrockNRolla said:

@NegativeCero said:

@BrockNRolla said:

@NegativeCero said:

Maybe write about what he did. I'll be honest, I had to google him to find out.

RIP.

That is extremely depressing. I hope you're young.

19. I suppose I'll add him to my "to read" list on Goodreads.

You absolutely should. I don't know when Fahrenheit 451 stopped being mandatory reading, but I thought it was a transformative experience. It's the best argument I've ever read for why we need books in our society.

Fahrenheit 451 is still mandatory in CA (at least in my district). this guy is one of my all time favorites, and F451 is one of the greats. Bradbury was the last of the great writers in his genre, RIP Mr. Bradbury

#35 Posted by InternetCrab (1504 posts) -

R.I.P. I've read some of his novels (Fahrenheit 451, The Martian Chronicles etc.)

#36 Posted by Brodehouse (10128 posts) -
#37 Posted by CornBREDX (5981 posts) -

@fox01313 said:

Too bad to hear that as I've always enjoyed reading his work & especially loved October Country, Halloween Tree & Something Wicked this Way Comes (book and the film). RIP Ray Bradbury.

I have to say, "Something wicked this way comes" is legitimately the scariest Disney movie ever made. Its not quite as good as an adult (some things don't hold up) but it's still miles ahead of even a normal horror movie of today. Such a great movie.

#38 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

@Jay444111 said:

He was a man who can never be replaced in this world.

I think you may have been misinformed. That is Big Boss, not Ray Bradbury. And they kind've did replace him. With cloning.

#39 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I don't know him, but RIP duder.

#40 Posted by zoozilla (984 posts) -

Wow, that sucks. He really was not only a great writer, but just a great thinker generally. I loved Fahrenheit and some of his short stories.

I'm glad that he was able to live a long and full life. RIP.

#41 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

@Jay444111 said:

He was a man who can never be replaced in this world.

I think you may have been misinformed. That is Big Boss, not Ray Bradbury. And they kind've did replace him. With cloning.

No... that picture was of a salute. I have to salute the man who helped inspire me to write man! I HAD to do so. RIP Ray... may you be writing kick ass stories in heaven now.

#42 Posted by AlianthaBerries (142 posts) -

I did not know who he was or what he had done until now, looking down on others for not knowing something is really snobby. We are all ignorant of Something.

#43 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

Never heard of him, but he sounds like a genius of some sorts. RIP.

#44 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -